HIC's Mixes: DIY recipes store

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This breakfast cereal and tiramisu is very good indeed. I might try UP instead of tiramisu and maybe a bit of cream just out of curiosity.
I made it yesterday and was shocked when I tasted Play-Doh! I don't get that from either flavor individually, and have never tasted it before outside of donut flavoring, but this combination tasted like it to me. I'm sad.... :(

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I made it yesterday and was shocked when I tasted Play-Doh! I don't get that from either flavor individually, and have never tasted it before outside of donut flavoring, but this combination tasted like it to me. I'm sad.... :(

Just curious -what other flavorings taste like Play-Doh to you? I read someone else on VU say Zeppola tasted like that to them after it steeped. It and Breakfast cereal have a bakery note in common (in my opinion), so that's why I ask.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just curious -what other flavorings taste like Play-Doh to you? I read someone else on VU say Zeppola tasted like that to them after it steeped. It and Breakfast cereal have a bakery note in common (in my opinion), so that's why I ask.
No other FA flavors have ever tasted like that to me, including zeppola. The only flavors I've ever tasted as Play-Doh were any vendor's donuts, Caps funnel cake, and Caps yellow cake. And the breakfast cereal does NOT taste like that in your sweet cornbread recipe. I'm stumped, for sure. I'm gonna try it again after it sits for about a week.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get play doh taste from tfa vanilla bean gelato after the flavor bottles gets a few months on it. Cap custard v2 as welll. I don’t Vape cap vc v2 at all anymore. I’m guessing it is the butric acid. I’ve gotten we’re I just try to steer clear of most flavors with ba in it

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They probably won't. Richard Hong, of FA North America (FANA) was approached with the statement that it was ironic that it wasn't going to be sold in the US due to high diketone content. This was his reply on one of the Facebook DIY pages:

Richard Hong: "... it has nothing to do with us not thinking the diy community can’t make educated decisions. It is more centralized under 1) our commitment in NA to not sell anything containing molecules that are harmful for our users and 2) to prepare for a regulatory environment in which flavours containing these molecules will be banned. We have taken a position with the FDA that we provide only clean flavours to this market and when a client goes around us to sell things we don’t allow in NA it really makes us look foolish as well as demeans our position as a clean supplier. I get it, I love flavours with bad things in them and use them often in my own mixes, but in this regulatory atmosphere we have to act responsibly as a company and take a hard stance against allowing these molecules to continue to be used in commercial eliquid. Anyone here can feel free to pm me if you’d like to talk more on it as this is really just a very basic summary of thoughts.
I should also note that it would be impossible for us to sell “dirty” flavours to just our resellers. You would be amazed at how many commercial manufacturers have made crazy offers for access to things like milk and whipped cream. If we carried it, it would find its way into commercial liquid..."

He also stated that once DIY Vapor Supply ran out, their inventory would not be replenished, and if they skirted around FANA an brought it in again, they would be dropped from their vendor list. Individual sized orders can be fulfilled directly from FA UK (and I'm assuming FA Italy), but vendor sized orders will not.

That being said, I dislike the fact they group all there flavors together on their web site. All though I will say they finally started posting enough information in the description to tell what is Vape safe or not. I really would prefer a Vape flavors only filter.

Reactions: Kat

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That being said, I dislike the fact they group all there flavors together on their web site. All though I will say they finally started posting enough information in the description to tell what is Vape safe or not. I really would prefer a Vape flavors only filter.
It seems to me that Flavourart is in a tough spot. They are trying hard to keep the flavors containing diketones out of the commercial stream, without necessarily making it impossible for the informed, committed individual diy'er to gain access to these flavors. They have made commitments to the FDA to not sell these flavors to eliquid vendors, and they are trying hard to keep that promise. That said, i'm not sure why they made such a fuss about DIY Vapor Supplies selling Custard Premium, but they don't seem to be too bothered that ECX continues to sell other diketone containing flavors. Are ECX still selling from old supplies, or do they trust ECX not to sell to vendors, but don't trust DIY Vapor Supplies !?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

FA Italy's site has included an inhalation warning on the detail screen for each flavor with any diketones for as long as I've been DIYing. They did list them in a separate group in the past, but as I understand it, Italian regulations on flavorings/vaping led them to the current layout. Italy apparently goes beyond the EU regulations.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I should have said diketone free filter.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’m glad this topic is running. For the last few months, ive been wondering how much is ok, and how much is starting to get into the risky area.

My neighbor used to work with a girl who used vaping as a way to quite smoking. She was getting ocpd from smoking. She found a vape she loved and vaped it only (no clue what it was). The girl vaped that juice enough that it pushed to to have to use an inhaler. She continued until she had serious breathing issues. She had to quite her job and file for disability.

I was in the beginning stages of ocpd when I quite smoking. Bad enough that I’ve held fast to avoid diketones for 3 years.

Has a rule of thumb been established on how much is pretty safe, and how much is pushing your luck?

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’m glad this topic is running. For the last few months, ive been wondering how much is ok, and how much is starting to get into the risky area.

My neighbor used to work with a girl who used vaping as a way to quite smoking. She was getting ocpd from smoking. She found a vape she loved and vaped it only (no clue what it was). The girl vaped that juice enough that it pushed to to have to use an inhaler. She continued until she had serious breathing issues. She had to quite her job and file for disability.

I was in the beginning stages of ocpd when I quite smoking. Bad enough that I’ve held fast to avoid diketones for 3 years.

Has a rule of thumb been established on how much is pretty safe, and how much is pushing your luck?
I don't think there has been a rule of thumb established. The closest was Dr. Farsalinos extrapolating NIOSH and OSHA standards for maximum daily exposure to diacetyl and acetyl propyniol in the factory setting, to vaping. They weren't as concerned with acetoin. Some eliquid makers and vapers complained that the mechanism is different and can't and shouldn't be extrapolated and there was a big controversy over this subject in 2013 and 2014.

My personal rule of thumb is that i will vape small amounts occasionally , but recipes containing diketones, will not be an ADV for me.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
FA's Clearstream Onward studies are still the most relevant info out there regarding the effect of vaping vs smoking on living tissue. http://www.clearstreamonward.com/the-project-clearstream-onward/. Nothing else even comes close.

Unfortunately for all curious/concerned about vaping diketones, no such flavorings were including in the study (nor in the first round, which was Clearstream). I'd so like to see results for some buttery flavors!

Dr Farsalinos also tested a cross-section of vendor e-liquids for diketones: https://www.scribd.com/doc/238345295/Dr-Farsalinos-study-on-diacetyl-in-e-liquid. Though he found 3/4 contained diketones, he didn't name names, so that didn't help anyone looking for honest vendors of truly diketone-free products. I personally believe little has changed since then - simply because there's no real penalty for dishonest vendors or flavor manufacturers. One thing we DO know is that FA's flavorings with diketones are identified (and there aren't many that would appeal to vapers...who really wants to vape asparagus forcryinoutloud); their other flavors truly contain none, and their test results are unparalleled.

At least with DIY we can choose for ourselves and know for sure what's in our mixes.

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FA's Clearstream Onward studies are still the most relevant info out there regarding the effect of vaping vs smoking on living tissue. http://www.clearstreamonward.com/the-project-clearstream-onward/. Nothing else even comes close.

Unfortunately for all curious/concerned about vaping diketones, no such flavorings were including in the study (nor in the first round, which was Clearstream). I'd so like to see results for some buttery flavors!

Dr Farsalinos also tested a cross-section of vendor e-liquids for diketones: https://www.scribd.com/doc/238345295/Dr-Farsalinos-study-on-diacetyl-in-e-liquid. Though he found 3/4 contained diketones, he didn't name names, so that didn't help anyone looking for honest vendors of truly diketone-free products. I personally believe little has changed since then - simply because there's no real penalty for dishonest vendors or flavor manufacturers. One thing we DO know is that FA's flavorings with diketones are identified (and there aren't many that would appeal to vapers...who really wants to vape asparagus forcryinoutloud); their other flavors truly contain none, and their test results are unparalleled.

At least with DIY we can choose for ourselves and know for sure what's in our mixes.
To be fair, Dr. F tested flavors that he already suspected would have diketones in them based on flavor profile, so i don't think 3/4 of liquids in the market overall have diketones in them. And there are vendors that have tested their liquids and eliminated diketones from their lines, but to be sure they are in a minority. I was involved in compiling a list of vendors with published test results, in the other forum. We had thirty or forty vendors on the list by the time the thread died down. In 2015, Vaporshark took it upon themselves to test the liquids of the vendors they carried, for which they caught some flak fron some players in the industry. They were up to 100 vendors before they stopped the testing for some reason. If memory serves me correctly about 25 to 30 % of flavors overall had diketones in them, mostly acetyl propyniol. Diacetyl itself is pretty much non-existent in the market. Flavoring manufacturers started to replace it with AP quite a few years ago now. Even outside of vaping there were concerns about diacetyl after the popcorn factory cases were publicized.

Not to say we as diy'ers don't have more control over what we vape, but just wanted to mention that there are responsible e-liquid vendors out there too.

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@HeadInClouds , i'm trying to mix a cantaloupe/lime/ginger mix or perhaps cantaloupe/lime/cardamom. Any suggestions as to starting percentages on the three main ingredients ? Also considering a hint of mint . I don't mind using a little cream or perhaps marshmallow to smooth things out, but i don't want a mix that tastes like cream. Thanks :)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
@HeadInClouds , i'm trying to mix a cantaloupe/lime/ginger mix or perhaps cantaloupe/lime/cardamom. Any suggestions as to starting percentages on the three main ingredients ? Also considering a hint of mint . I don't mind using a little cream or perhaps marshmallow to smooth things out, but i don't want a mix that tastes like cream. Thanks :)

You might be surprised how mild and sweet lime will taste when combined with FA Cantaloupe. I'd use either Cold-Pressed for sweet lime or Florida Key if you want a little zest, too.
I'd be pretty confident starting with 3% Cantaloupe, 1% lime, regardless what else is in it. I'd add 0.5% ginger or cardamom or spearmint for a first try, but I think I'd personally end up adding more cardamom (maybe 1%). How about some Vanilla Classic and/or Marshmallow? I'd stay 0.5-1% on Marshmallow, 1-2% on the vanilla.

Are you from Texas? Pecos cantaloupe with fresh lime....mmm!

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might be surprised how mild and sweet lime will taste when combined with FA Cantaloupe. I'd use either Cold-Pressed for sweet lime or Florida Key if you want a little zest, too.
I'd be pretty confident starting with 3% Cantaloupe, 1% lime, regardless what else is in it. I'd add 0.5% ginger or cardamom or spearmint for a first try, but I think I'd personally end up adding more cardamom (maybe 1%). How about some Vanilla Classic and/or Marshmallow? I'd stay 0.5-1% on Marshmallow, 1-2% on the vanilla.

Are you from Texas? Pecos cantaloupe with fresh lime....mmm!

Thanks for the suggestions !

No, not from Texas. From NY actually. I got the idea from something my cousins wife prepared last summer for dessert, after a barbecue, which proved popular ; a cantaloupe/lime/ginger granita.

DSC_1625.jpg

How does this sound for a start ?

Fa cantaloupe 3%
Fa Fl. key Lime 1%
NF Ginger 0.5%
Fa Vanilla Classic 1%
Fa Marshmallow 0.5%
Fa Spearmint 0.5%

I considered Fa custard, or vienna cream instead of or in addition to Vanilla classic. Thoughts ?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

Fa cantaloupe 3%
Fa Fl. key Lime 1%
NF Ginger 0.5%
Fa Vanilla Classic 1%
Fa Marshmallow 0.5%
Fa Spearmint 0.5%

I considered Fa custard, or vienna cream instead of or in addition to Vanilla classic. Thoughts ?

Ah - I thought you didn't want it creamy. Either or both of those would sure taste fine. Custard would emphasize the ginger-lime; Vienna Cream would smooth out those flavors.

The combination of ginger and spearmint sounds odd to me, but so what.

\You could start with just the cantaloupe-lime, taste it, then add each other flavor one at a time. A granita wouldn't have any marshmallow/vanilla/cream/custard, so maybe try without those flavors first. Have fun with it!

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ah - I thought you didn't want it creamy. Either or both of those would sure taste fine. Custard would emphasize the ginger-lime; Vienna Cream would smooth out those flavors.

\You could start with just the cantaloupe-lime, taste it, then add each other flavor one at a time. A granita wouldn't have any marshmallow/vanilla/cream/custard, so maybe try without those flavors first. Have fun with it!
Would def recommend a fresh mint or peppermint over spearmint for ginger or cardomom

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True, i don't want too creamy, just thought of using small amounts as smoothener and sweetener, not too much for flavor, but perhaps marshmallow works best for that purpose.

Maybe, she used some mint leaves as garnish, so i wanted to replicate that. This was the exact recipe she used btw, it was cardamom, not ginger, as i thought.

• 1/2 cantaloupe, seeds and peel removed, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 3 cups)
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cane sugar
  • juice from 2 medium-large limes, plus more for serving
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • pinch of sea salt

Combine everything in the container of a high speed blender. Blend on medium high until completely smooth. Transfer to a 10×8 inch baking dish. Freeze for 30-40 minutes, until beginning to set around the edges. Remove from the freezer and use a fork to scrape up the frozen parts. Return to the freezer for another 30-40 minutes before scraping again. Repeat until entirely frozen. Granita can be made ahead and kept covered for up to two weeks.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
  • pinch of sea salt

Combine everything in the container of a high speed blender. Blend on medium high until completely smooth. Transfer to a 10×8 inch baking dish. Freeze for 30-40 minutes, until beginning to set around the edges. Remove from the freezer and use a fork to scrape up the frozen parts. Return to the freezer for another 30-40 minutes before scraping again. Repeat until entirely frozen. Granita can be made ahead and kept covered for up to two weeks.

That sounds very much like your post above (#3667), just with Cardamom instead of Ginger. Tell us how it turns out for you!

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I just got my package from Flavourart and did some testing of the flavours on my hand.

Corn smells and tastes just like real creamy corn. I'll be making cornbread asap.

Pandoro smells and tastes like the cake part of INW lemon cake, without the lemon, which is exactly what I've been looking for.

Panettone seems to be a bit more fruity than I imagined but I'm very curious to try that as well!!!

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True, i don't want too creamy, just thought of using small amounts as smoothener and sweetener, not too much for flavor, but perhaps marshmallow works best for that purpose.

Maybe, she used some mint leaves as garnish, so i wanted to replicate that. This was the exact recipe she used btw, it was cardamom, not ginger, as i thought.

• pinch of sea salt

My mom used to make cantaloupe ice cream all the time with any over ripe cantaloupes she had. I'm looking forward to trying both the eliquid recipe and the granita recipe. Eliquid recipe I'll mix up in a few days without the spearmint. The granita recipe I'll make when cantaloupes get ripe this summer. Thanks for both!

NotSoMini

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gingersnap Milkshake is sooo addictive. I usually don't vape more than 5-6 mls a day, but i finished my 30 ml bottle in 3 days, and i'm a MTL vaper. I have yet to mix about 5 of your recipes that i purchased, but they will have to wait. Mixing another 100 ml of this tonight !

Agree — I also find HIC’s Pumpkin Pie recipe to be addictive. I like to vape this one fresh whereas with Gingersnap Milkshake I steep.

Thanks for the suggestions !

No, not from Texas. From NY actually. I got the idea from something my cousins wife prepared last summer for dessert, after a barbecue, which proved popular ; a cantaloupe/lime/ginger granita.

DSC_1625.jpg

Fa cantaloupe 3%
Fa Fl. key Lime 1%
NF Ginger 0.5%
Fa Vanilla Classic 1%
Fa Marshmallow 0.5%
Fa Spearmint 0.5%

This sounds good. I am going to make it except I will use Papaya instead of Cantaloupe as I do not have this. I will start with the first two ingredients and then see what happens. I may even add a drop of Polar Blast or WS-23. Growing up I use to squeeze lime juice on papaya. My aunt use to make me Papaya Sherbert too.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
No other FA flavors have ever tasted like that to me, including zeppola. The only flavors I've ever tasted as Play-Doh were any vendor's donuts, Caps funnel cake, and Caps yellow cake. And the breakfast cereal does NOT taste like that in your sweet cornbread recipe. I'm stumped, for sure. I'm gonna try it again after it sits for about a week.

Hey - didja remember to try that Tiramisu/BfastCereal mix after it sat a while?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We're on the same wavelength, I was just reminded while looking over this thread. It's somewhere in the sea of bottles on my desk, I'll locate it and try it with coffee in the morning, then let you know if it's changed.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, the play-doh has faded to the point of trying to taste like cake, but the tiramisu has faded quite a bit. It's not unvapable, but it's not "wow" either and I know that's what it should be.
My tiramisu is over a year old, I think I'm going to order a fresh bottle and try this again. I love both flavors individually, this should taste better than what I'm getting. In the meantime, I'm gonna whip up a small batch of your tiramisu wafer cookies and see if the flavor is "off" from the norm.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
(one more while diyvaporsupply still has FA Premium Custard in stock)

New today at HIC's Mixes: Teddy Bear Custard
p Teddy Bear Custard.jpg
"American style" sweet vanilla custard with flavor elements of popular favorite cookies, including vanilla wafers, buttery shortbread cookies, and cinnamon grahams. This recipe requires FlavourArt flavorings including Oba Oba, Zeppola, and Premium Custard (contains diketones; one U.S. source is diyvaporsupply.com; one U.K. source is chefsflavours.co.uk) plus TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust.

p.s. The cookie part reminds me most of vanilla Teddy Grahams (remember those?) - thus the odd recipe name.

Last edited:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

View attachment 102340
"American style" sweet vanilla custard with flavor elements of popular favorite cookies, including vanilla wafers, buttery shortbread cookies, and cinnamon grahams. This recipe requires FlavourArt flavorings including Oba Oba, Zeppola, and Premium Custard (contains diketones; one U.S. source is diyvaporsupply.com) plus TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust.

p.s. The cookie part reminds me most of vanilla Teddy Grahams (remember those?) - thus the odd recipe name.

Are you using Cinn Ceylon? If so, I'll swap FLV RC.

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

View attachment 102340
"American style" sweet vanilla custard with flavor elements of popular favorite cookies, including vanilla wafers, buttery shortbread cookies, and cinnamon grahams. This recipe requires FlavourArt flavorings including Oba Oba, Zeppola, and Premium Custard (contains diketones; one U.S. source is diyvaporsupply.com) plus TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust.

What does oba oba do for the mixes does it just promote the mouthfeel or does it give it something more?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Are you using Cinn Ceylon? If so, I'll swap FLV RC.

Yes, I used FA for its pure cinnamon flavor. There's a caramel note in Flavorah Rich Cinnamon that might pop out if you use it instead - not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's what you're after.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
What does oba oba do for the mixes does it just promote the mouthfeel or does it give it something more?

FA Oba Oba is a must-have flavoring for fans of sweet vanilla-ish mixes. Yes, it contributes similar "mouthfeel" to marshmallow flavorings, but it also has a neat effect on vanilla flavors. It's not bad as a standalone flavor, too.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, I used FA for its pure cinnamon flavor. There's a caramel note in Flavorah Rich Cinnamon that might pop out if you use it instead - not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's what you're after.

I've mixed them together and it's delicious. It's a delicate balancing act but I'll nail it.

Wannavape247

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FA Oba Oba is a must-have flavoring for fans of sweet vanilla-ish mixes. Yes, it contributes similar "mouthfeel" to marshmallow flavorings, but it also has a neat effect on vanilla flavors. It's not bad as a standalone flavor, too.
Oh wow oba oba is on my shopping list for next time. Thanks again HIC

NotSoMini

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mixed 3% Papaya with 1% Lime Cold Pressed. With a short steep not bad — just a little too much lime. Will see how it changes with a longer steep. If not, will remix using less lime.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

View attachment 102340
"American style" sweet vanilla custard with flavor elements of popular favorite cookies, including vanilla wafers, buttery shortbread cookies, and cinnamon grahams. This recipe requires FlavourArt flavorings including Oba Oba, Zeppola, and Premium Custard (contains diketones; one U.S. source is diyvaporsupply.com; one U.K. source is chefsflavours.co.uk) plus TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust.

Made this three days ago, tried it today and....HUGE thumbs up, this is sooooo GOOOOOOOD!!!!! :stars:

VU Sponsors