Become a Patron!

Hank's Doghaus the antisocial social thread

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Try parallel. It's mainly all I use. Either 24 or 22g (316L)
Did a 24 awg parallel, 4 wraps 5 mm ID ohms to .14 and pretty much the same thing in TC mode which is set to 450 and 35 watts. Tried it in wattage mode and at 45 watts its a lot better. Went back to TC mode, 460 and 48 watts and now it is comparable to a supertank.

Thanks Hank!

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
When I read "temp around 490F on 55w...amazing flavor and vapor", I think "I wish I could vape that way." But then when I read "40mls a day", I am SO DAMN GLAD that I don't!

My juice consumption might go up a smidge, using TC, but at 310F, using 30w ramp-up, I don't think it'll go up MUCH. :D Currently I use about 50-ish ml a week. If I can stay under 70ml a week, I'll be happy, and it probably won't bother my asthma too much.

Don't know yet how my high-gunk strawberry & cream will treat SS coils; using kanthal, I can get maybe 2wks out of a coil, since I have to dry-burn/re-wick 2-3 times a week; after a couple weeks, the kanthal coils tend to stay black even after dry-burning, so have to be replaced.

Andria
I was a very heavy smoker...3.5 packs a day. Guess that's why I vape so much. Can only do 3% nic anything higher and it burns my throat. Perhaps if I could up the nic I would vape less mls.

Sent from a pay phone

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did a 24 awg parallel, 4 wraps 5 mm ID ohms to .14 and pretty much the same thing in TC mode which is set to 450 and 35 watts. Tried it in wattage mode and at 45 watts its a lot better. Went back to TC mode, 460 and 48 watts and now it is comparable to a supertank.

Thanks Hank!
You're more than welcome, doc

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Im doing TC just because i can. I hated it with Ti <snip> The vape just seemed muddlled to me, but with SS its an ok vape.

This exactly. I was curious, mainly, since I now have 2 mods that will do SS TC; I thought it worth trying out, and I'm pretty damn impressed with it. My biggest gripe with Ti was that there was little flavor, and zero TH -- absolutely NOT the case with SS! Even with my 3.(something)mg vape that has gotten so horribly mild with the lack of nic, even with lots of Flash, the TH is BACK! And the flavor is pretty damn good too! And anyone who's read even a couple of my posts should know that I am an EXTREME tootle puffer -- but at 310F, 25-30 watt ramp-up... it's really great!

Yeah, I'll still vape kanthal; with asthma, there are times when I really need a lower-intensity vape... but I'm no longer CONFINED to that lower-intensity vape, simply because I can't deal with a lot of heat and vapor.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was a very heavy smoker...3.5 packs a day. Guess that's why I vape so much. Can only do 3% nic anything higher and it burns my throat. Perhaps if I could up the nic I would vape less mls.

Sent from a pay phone

I smoked 3 PAD for 40 years and now I vape heavy too at 3mg. I vape at least 30 ml a day easily. Im not looking to cut down on the amount I vape because i dont see it as a problem. Plus now I can go anywhere and forget my vapes at home and it dont bother me at all. Or if I jump into the car and am heading down the road to find I have a dead battery, oh well. I can wait until I get at home. That would of never happened when I smoked :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Sent from a pay phone

That's about how much I smoked, before I had to start taking it outdoors because of my son's bronchitis. Once I had to smoke outdoors, it immediately went down to 2pks a day, and in the 16 further yrs of smoking, I had gotten it to 1 pk a day by smoking 120s -- I could smoke each one twice -- that was the only way I could afford to keep smoking!

But that nice tingle... that's the main thing I want; when I had to go from Lights to ultra-lights, I must have tried every ultra-light brand available -- but went back to the ultra-lights of my favorite brand, Virginia Slims, because they were the only ones that i could still FEEL in my throat.

One reason switching to vaping was easy for me was that even 6mg gave me better TH than the ultra-light cigarettes, but DIDN'T make me cough, the way that Lights had started doing (the reason I had to switch to ultra-lights). Being able to have that great tingle, yet not die coughing, that was HEAVEN!

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This exactly. I was curious, mainly, since I now have 2 mods that will do SS TC; I thought it worth trying out, and I'm pretty damn impressed with it. My biggest gripe with Ti was that there was little flavor, and zero TH -- absolutely NOT the case with SS! Even with my 3.(something)mg vape that has gotten so horribly mild with the lack of nic, even with lots of Flash, the TH is BACK! And the flavor is pretty damn good too! And anyone who's read even a couple of my posts should know that I am an EXTREME tootle puffer -- but at 310F, 25-30 watt ramp-up... it's really great!

Yeah, I'll still vape kanthal; with asthma, there are times when I really need a lower-intensity vape... but I'm no longer CONFINED to that lower-intensity vape, simply because I can't deal with a lot of heat and vapor.

Andria

It is a shame you cant try it at higher wattages. I think that was the problem with the Merlin for me but I fint the Merlin to be an oddball anyways. I was building 4 mm coils at around 6 to 7 wraps and the wicks just would not keep up at what I consider my sweet spot wattage wise which is around 50. I had to keep turning it down to get away from scorched hits and the magic number was around 27 watts. Yet with a 5 mm coil I could go up to 40 watts yet the flavor was lacking. Now with Hanks suggestion I have a parallel coil and have it at 48 watts and good flavor. As I said many times before, wattage unlocks flavor which is why its a shame you cant experience that. Your strawberry juice that you love at 9 watts, just imagine it at 50 watts. Your mouth would be inundated with thick rich flavor of strawberry.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It is a shame you cant try it at higher wattages. I think that was the problem with the Merlin for me but I fint the Merlin to be an oddball anyways. I was building 4 mm coils at around 6 to 7 wraps and the wicks just would not keep up at what I consider my sweet spot wattage wise which is around 50. I had to keep turning it down to get away from scorched hits and the magic number was around 27 watts. Yet with a 5 mm coil I could go up to 40 watts yet the flavor was lacking. Now with Hanks suggestion I have a parallel coil and have it at 48 watts and good flavor. As I said many times before, wattage unlocks flavor which is why its a shame you cant experience that. Your strawberry juice that you love at 9 watts, just imagine it at 50 watts. Your mouth would be inundated with thick rich flavor of strawberry.

I would be so busy dying from an asthma attack, I don't think I'd really notice what was going on in my mouth. :D I actually have tried DtL hitting, a couple times... both times, immediate coughing fit, asthma attack, sucking on the rescue inhaler once I could stop coughing long enough to BREATHE. And that was at 10w.

And people have said, well then how the hell did you SMOKE? Very carefully. :D Very shallowly, sometimes barely inhaling at all -- which is maybe why the slow, shallow inhales of vaping came so easy for me -- I was already there, or almost. Which I think partially explains why even 12mg made me so ill -- most when they first start, they're still doing the deep inhales as they did with cigarettes, so they don't get max nic absorption, but I never did that; even when I first started, I was already doing it in a manner guaranteed to give me max nic absorption -- the only change I had to make, once I reached the point of quitting, was inhaling a little more slowly.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I would be so busy dying from an asthma attack, I don't think I'd really notice what was going on in my mouth. :D I actually have tried DtL hitting, a couple times... both times, immediate coughing fit, asthma attack, sucking on the rescue inhaler once I could stop coughing long enough to BREATHE. And that was at 10w.

And people have said, well then how the hell did you SMOKE? Very carefully. :D Very shallowly, sometimes barely inhaling at all -- which is maybe why the slow, shallow inhales of vaping came so easy for me -- I was already there, or almost. Which I think partially explains why even 12mg made me so ill -- most when they first start, they're still doing the deep inhales as they did with cigarettes, so they don't get max nic absorption, but I never did that; even when I first started, I was already doing it in a manner guaranteed to give me max nic absorption -- the only change I had to make, once I reached the point of quitting, was inhaling a little more slowly.

Andria

Reminds me of the first time I tried a dripper. I read all about how thats the way to go!!! So I ordered a TOBH and a Patriot RDA. Watched vids on youtube on building coils for them and did it, wicked it and soaked the wick down with my favorite 18 mg juice and gave it a try. Holy fuck I gagged :blech: Remember thinking why in the hell anyone would willingly do this to themselves. Then I tried a few mouth hits without inhaling and I seen why, the flavor was out if this world. The juice was ITC Monkey Bread and tootle puffing it in a protank it was a great banana bread but hitting it on an unregulated dripper, wow. The maple syrup flavor was unreal with all the other flavors. I didnt even know it had maple syrup in it in a protank. Tried some other juices and the same thing, worlds apart from vaping them tootle puffer style.
Then I got to researching and asking around and found out two things. My lungs was not enough recovered from smoking to be able to handle that kind of vapor and the nic level was way to high. It took me four to five months before my lungs would even consider dripping and 9 months before I moved away from tootle puffing entirely.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reminds me of the first time I tried a dripper. I read all about how thats the way to go!!! So I ordered a TOBH and a Patriot RDA. Watched vids on youtube on building coils for them and did it, wicked it and soaked the wick down with my favorite 18 mg juice and gave it a try. Holy fuck I gagged :blech: Remember thinking why in the hell anyone would willingly do this to themselves. Then I tried a few mouth hits without inhaling and I seen why, the flavor was out if this world. The juice was ITC Monkey Bread and tootle puffing it in a protank it was a great banana bread but hitting it on an unregulated dripper, wow. The maple syrup flavor was unreal with all the other flavors. I didnt even know it had maple syrup in it in a protank. Tried some other juices and the same thing, worlds apart from vaping them tootle puffer style.
Then I got to researching and asking around and found out two things. My lungs was not enough recovered from smoking to be able to handle that kind of vapor and the nic level was way to high. It took me four to five months before my lungs would even consider dripping and 9 months before I moved away from tootle puffing entirely.

And this, I think, is really the key, and the hard truth that I've been butting my head against for 2 yrs now -- no matter how much healing has occurred, no matter how little mucus I now have to deal with getting rid of, I am always going to have asthma -- there is no cure. When I smoked, my asthma seemed so mild that I figured that if I quit smoking, my asthma might virtually disappear; if I had managed to quit in any other way than vaping, that *might* have been true... or maybe not; I think the chemicals they add to cigarette tobacco to make human lungs tolerate the smoke were largely responsible for my asthma seeming to be so mild -- not only were those chemicals enabling me to inhale hot toxic smoke, they were also masking many of the symptoms of my asthma. And perhaps this is the reason why I was told, when first diagnosed, that if I didn't quit smoking, my asthma would almost certainly become true COPD -- emphysema (asthma is actually "CRPD" - restrictive rather than obstructive). And who knows, perhaps I already have a touch of it, given that I did continue smoking for 29 more yrs.

It's just a hard fact that I've had to accept: my lungs are never going to be the same as a non-asthmatic's, not ever again, no matter how many years I've been smoke-free. And taking asthma too lightly is why people still die from it, every year: breathing is mandatory, for life to continue. This is the only reason why I entertain, even in theory, the idea that I might someday quit vaping -- if I can ever arrive at a point where doing without vaping doesn't lead to cigarette cravings, then I would definitely be better off not vaping. Whether I can ever arrive at that point... that's the sticky wicket.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Now I have 4 out of 5 Merlins converted to parallel coils and the are vaping real good. Just did my Peach Cupcake one and each hit off it is like biting into a fresh peach cake.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
You get that baby goon yet Spanky?

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm going to eat a peach
Um
8e76f83c7a442eb81ec15f85e31a7df1.jpg

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That would be me with the OKI board. I'll post pics when it arrives.
cool... let me know the dimensions? as it stands I have a petri, tugboat, magma reborn, and indestructible set up as bottom feed.
but if I need wider I wanna order before I get it.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
cool... let me know the dimensions? as it stands I have a petri, tugboat, magma reborn, and indestructible set up as bottom feed.
but if I need wider I wanna order before I get it.
I think any of those will be more than fine on it. Although, a Goon would be optimal

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LOL, you got a payload cap. Third person I know here that is getting one. I will need to look into it.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
LOL, you got a payload cap. Third person I know here that is getting one. I will need to look into it.
got a feeling that thing is all about clouds not flavor

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Dang, Nar'leans folks and Zombies. Must be a connection. The 5 Hurricanes I had during Mardi Gras one night may explain some stuff, like how I woke up with a woman with flaming red hair like Lucille BalI I didn't know, from Ireland who had a hang over just as bad as I did. At least we are still friends and skype and chat a bit. LOL, her name is Lois.
usamods is here. lmao

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Dang, Nar'leans folks and Zombies. Must be a connection. The 5 Hurricanes I had during Mardi Gras one night may explain some stuff, like how I woke up with a woman with flaming red hair like Lucille BalI I didn't know, from Ireland who had a hang over just as bad as I did. At least we are still friends and skype and chat a bit. LOL, her name is Lois.

Sha-zamazam

VU Sponsors