Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Y

Yep machines have replaced a lot of miners and so has surface/strip mining.
Plus The power companies like Nat Gas better. You can spin up a nat gas generator plant in a few hours or less.
Coal will take a day or so.
Power plants are put and taken offline all day as the load demand varies.
With coal they just have to keep them going.
Also no trucking costs, etc with Nat gas.

Basically coal jobs will NOT be coming back to KY or WVA.

I grew up in coal country.
That's kind of what I figured. I wasn't sure, since I really know next to nothing about the industry.
But basically, it sounds like there was not a whole lot of jobs to be saved, other than the people who fix and maintain the machinery.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's kind of what I figured. I wasn't sure, since I really know next to nothing about the industry.
But basically, it sounds like there was not a whole lot of jobs to be saved, other than the people who fix and maintain the machinery.

And if Emperor Orange expands gas and oil drilling on govt lands then he is working against the coal industry.

btw surface/strip mine workers are just heavy equipment operators just like building roads and such.

I spent a couple of summers maintaining AC equipment of surface mining equipment.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
And if Emperor Orange expands gas and oil drilling on govt lands then he is working against the coal industry.

btw surface/strip mine workers are just heavy equipment operators just like building roads and such.

I spent a couple of summers maintaining AC equipment of surface mining equipment.
I worked in the drilling and chemical industry through high school and a few years afterwards. I was valve tech for Fisher Valves. So, that I know how much is automated. A good portion of it is still operated mostly by man.
I'm not so sure that it comes down to choosing industries.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I worked in the drilling and chemical industry through high school and a few years afterwards. I was valve tech for Fisher Valves. So, that I know how much is automated. A good portion of it is still operated mostly by man.
I'm not so sure that it comes down to choosing industries.
Yep still operated by man but if you can run a big dozer, loader, dump truck then you can surface/strip mine.
Underground mining is also mechanized but requires real coal miners not equipment operators.

Underground mining is pretty much dying out. Unless they are mining anthracite coal for specialty purposes. Just can't compete with surface/strip mining.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How on earth did you arrive at this conclusion? :)

I don't tink you've been seeing the whole story...

Motorcycle%20Fail%20Gif%20-%2037.gif
How on earth did you arrive at this conclusion? :)

the law of supply and demand, primary capitalism.
More natural gas = lower price right?
More incentive for electric generation to be with Natural gas than coal.

Nat gas electric plants are simpler and spin up faster to meet demand than coal.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

P.S. I would say vote these fuckers out of office but I know our elections are being sponsored by our new government of Russia.....Peace out!

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the move..... she can tell daddy to shut the fuck up sometimes!

I

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The problem with Flynn (and the problem for Flynn):

For all we know all he has to offer up are alternate facts grounded in conspiracy theories. Neither good info or his immunity are exactly a sure bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors