Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I dunno if the *climate* is changing, but the weather has lost its fucking mind.

The climate does change, in natural cycles, with or without human beings. I am not saying we had nothing at all to do with effecting our environment. I do though believe we've had less of an impact than we're led to believe by all the fear mongering propaganda spewing scientists who continually require grant money. Prisons always ultimately need to rely upon human guards. It is the same in any field. Humans are flawed, subjective, corruptible. Why would science be any different?

I figure like George Carlin says, "we've made plastic, now we're done." Nature obviously could not discern how to recycle dead cells. Or, perhaps water is finished using us to carry itself uphill.

Apologies if I'm "dodging" bleaker subjects. Difficult for me to envision and think about them.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The climate does change, in natural cycles, with or without human beings. I am not saying we had nothing at all to do with effecting our environment. I do though believe we've had less of an impact than we're led to believe by all the fear mongering propaganda spewing scientists who continually require grant money. Prisons always ultimately need to rely upon human guards. It is the same in any field. Humans are flawed, subjective, corruptible. Why would science be any different?

I figure like George Carlin says, "we've made plastic, now we're done." Nature obviously could not discern how to recycle dead cells. Or, perhaps water is finished using us to carry itself uphill.

Apologies if I'm "dodging" bleaker subjects. Difficult for me to envision and think about them.

I think that's my general take on the whole thing -- the climate DOES go in cycles, such as The Ice Age, etc. And guess what, we're still in an Ice Age -- anytime there is glaciation at the poles, that's an Ice Age! The planet is a "living" thing, and goes thru changes as any "living" thing does. And yeah we've probably had a negative impact on it, how could we help it? I think the biggest culprit by far is the idea that we always need more, better, faster, etc... And the oil companies that get a good chuckle out of spilling the sap of dead dinosaurs into the oceans and watching all the tree-huggers' righteous indignation about it.

The biggest extinction event(s) this planet has suffered didn't have one farking thing to do with humanity -- it was the cosmic bowling tournament heaving comets and asteroids in our general direction that caused 'em. Yeah, we can sure foul up the water and air for ourselves and all the other life forms on the planet, but being self-aware, having the capacity to learn from our mistakes, will tend to moderate that fouling, at least somewhat -- I saw a video recently on weather.com that all the EPA stuff forbidding and reducing CFCs has enabled the ozone layer to repair a LOT of its damage, and that's only been in effect about 20-ish yrs -- give it another 30, and I think the ozone layer might be largely intact.

I was looking at weather.com earlier, and I see my fears for TX are coming true; massive, catastrophic flooding. Sure hope Atcha's ok.

Andria

Last edited:

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was looking at weather.com earlier, and I see my fears for TX are coming true; massive, catastrophic flooding. Sure hope Atcha's ok.
Atcha is high and, well, mostly dry. She's well north of anything significant, though she has had steady rain since yesterday. If you look up Ft Hood, then go a 10 or 15 miles West, that's where she is.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Atcha is high and, well, mostly dry. She's well north of anything significant, though she has had steady rain since yesterday. If you look up Ft Hood, then go a 10 or 15 miles West, that's where she is.

That's a relief! :)

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
More than last month, eight and its still pretty light.

It will start going very quickly next month and November will be dark, dark again

Yeah I've been noticing lately, it's about full dark by 8:30pm. :( I dread going back to dark by 5:30pm. They do that daylight savings shit in the summer, when it's really needed a lot more in the fucking winter!

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I've been noticing lately, it's about full dark by 8:30pm. :( I dread going back to dark by 5:30pm. They do that daylight savings shit in the summer, when it's really needed a lot more in the fucking winter!

Andria

No shit, I could never figure that one out. In Arizona we just leave the clocks alone, which makes sense too.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thinking about just planting poison ivy....

Plant brambles on the outskirts of your homestead. Leave yourself two paths, one for regular egress and another for emergency egress. Don't let anyone take note of your paths, unless you invite guests. Brambles are keen upon discouraging poking around, pardon the pun.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Plant brambles on the outskirts of your homestead. Leave yourself two paths, one for regular egress and another for emergency egress. Don't let anyone take note of your paths, unless you invite guests. Brambles are keen upon discouraging poking around, pardon the pun.
I like poison ivy better. They have something to remember me by and I am not allergic to it.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The more daylight that people have after work the more money they spend.

Actually? It's because people's appetite for dinner is closely related to the ebbing of daylight, and they're trying to get some of the load off the power grid during the hottest time of day (late afternoon/early evening). And for that, it actually works, because of the brain's light-cueing for dinnertime. I just fucking hate it, because when I SHOULD be cooking dinner (6-7pm) it still looks like fucking afternoon! For those who actually want to be EATING around 6-7pm, the effect would be even worse. Fortunately I was raised by a mom who had to observe happy hour before she got serious about dinner, so I'nm apparently permanently imprinted with a late dinnertime. :giggle:

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually? It's because people's appetite for dinner is closely related to the ebbing of daylight, and they're trying to get some of the load off the power grid during the hottest time of day (late afternoon/early evening). And for that, it actually works, because of the brain's light-cueing for dinnertime. I just fucking hate it, because when I SHOULD be cooking dinner (6-7pm) it still looks like fucking afternoon! For those who actually want to be EATING around 6-7pm, the effect would be even worse. Fortunately I was raised by a mom who had to observe happy hour before she got serious about dinner, so I'nm apparently permanently imprinted with a late dinnertime. :giggle:

Andria
Good point. However I do not think that the majority of Americans still actually cook food.

I have also heard that DST is so that politicians can have time to play a round of golf after work.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good point. However I do not think that the majority of Americans still actually cook food.

I have also heard that DST is so that politicians can have time to play a round of golf after work.

Heh, maybe so. But DST has been going on for a LOOOOOOOONG time, so I suspect the issues with the power grid were the overriding concern, at a time when they didn't have such modern artifacts as automatic load-balancing; people had to do it, and people are notoriously unreliable.

But AZ's lack of DST has always been the reason why, if I moved west, I'd choose AZ. Unfortunately, my ex lives out there now, near Phoenix, so I'd need to choose a different metropolis. :giggle:

Andria

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Heh, maybe so. But DST has been going on for a LOOOOOOOONG time, so I suspect the issues with the power grid were the overriding concern, at a time when they didn't have such modern artifacts as automatic load-balancing; people had to do it, and people are notoriously unreliable.

But AZ's lack of DST has always been the reason why, if I moved west, I'd choose AZ. Unfortunately, my ex lives out there now, near Phoenix, so I'd need to choose a different metropolis. :giggle:

Andria
Although I'm not sure of his reasoning, the concept was first proposed by Benjamin Franklin, long before the electrical grid would have been a concern.
The first country to pass a law regarding DST was Great Britain in the very early (pre World War 1) 1900s, not sure of the exact year though.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Although I'm not sure of his reasoning, the concept was first proposed by Benjamin Franklin, long before the electrical grid would have been a concern.
The first country to pass a law regarding DST was Great Britain in the very early (pre World War 1) 1900s, not sure of the exact year though.

From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_time_in_the_United_States):

"The history of standard time in the United States began November 18, 1883, when United States and Canadian railroads instituted standard time in time zones. Before then, time of day was a local matter, and most cities and towns used some form of local solar time, maintained by some well-known clock (for example, on a church steeple or in a jeweler's window). The new standard time system was not immediately embraced by all.

Use of standard time gradually increased because of its obvious practical advantages for communication and travel. Standard time in time zones was not established in U.S. law until the Standard Time Act of 1918 of March 19, 1918, also known as the Calder Act (15 USC 260).[1][2] The act also established daylight saving time, itself a contentious idea.

Daylight saving time was repealed in 1919, but standard time in time zones remained in law, with the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) having the authority over time zone boundaries. Daylight time became a local matter. It was re-established nationally early in World War II, and was continuously observed until the end of the war. ...

War Time 1918 and 1942
"War Time" redirects here. This usage refers to the changes of the US War Time Act, not a general period of war.
Daylight saving time was established by the Standard Time Act of 1918. The Act was intended to save electricity for seven months of the year, during World War I.[3] DST was repealed in 1919 over a Presidential veto,[4] but standard time in time zones remained in law, with the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) having the authority over time zone boundaries. Daylight time became a local matter.

During World War II, Congress enacted the War Time Act (56 Stat. 9) on January 20, 1942. Year-round DST was reinstated in the United States on February 9, 1942, again as a wartime measure to conserve energy resources.[5] This remained in effect until after the end of the war. The Amendment to the War Time Act (59 Stat. 537), enacted September 25, 1945, ended DST as of September 30, 1945. During this period, the official designation War Time was used for year-round DST. For example, Eastern War Time (EWT) would be the equivalent of Eastern Daylight Time during this period. ...

DST 1966[edit]
The U.S. federal Uniform Time Act became law on April 13, 1966..."

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would not break my heart to see all drive thrus gone.
If someone is too lazy to park and go in to get unhealthy 'food' then too bad.

imho Drive thru's just feed negative aspects of our society.

LOL maybe feed was not the best choice of words to use.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Would not break my heart to see all drive thrus gone.
If someone is too lazy to park and go in to get unhealthy 'food' then too bad.

Nah, it's a real boon to mothers with numerous noisy children, and all those who are spared those noisy brats.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nah, it's a real boon to mothers with numerous noisy children, and all those who are spared those noisy brats.

Andria
Might convince some to have less brats If they have to unload and herd them inside and back out?
Or just go home and cook?

drive thru's as numerous as they are seems to be pretty much an American/USA thing.
Other cultures around the world thrive with just a scattering of drive thrus.

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_time_in_the_United_States):

"The history of standard time in the United States began November 18, 1883, when United States and Canadian railroads instituted standard time in time zones. Before then, time of day was a local matter, and most cities and towns used some form of local solar time, maintained by some well-known clock (for example, on a church steeple or in a jeweler's window). The new standard time system was not immediately embraced by all.

Use of standard time gradually increased because of its obvious practical advantages for communication and travel. Standard time in time zones was not established in U.S. law until the Standard Time Act of 1918 of March 19, 1918, also known as the Calder Act (15 USC 260).[1][2] The act also established daylight saving time, itself a contentious idea.

Daylight saving time was repealed in 1919, but standard time in time zones remained in law, with the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) having the authority over time zone boundaries. Daylight time became a local matter. It was re-established nationally early in World War II, and was continuously observed until the end of the war. ...

War Time 1918 and 1942
"War Time" redirects here. This usage refers to the changes of the US War Time Act, not a general period of war.
Daylight saving time was established by the Standard Time Act of 1918. The Act was intended to save electricity for seven months of the year, during World War I.[3] DST was repealed in 1919 over a Presidential veto,[4] but standard time in time zones remained in law, with the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) having the authority over time zone boundaries. Daylight time became a local matter.

During World War II, Congress enacted the War Time Act (56 Stat. 9) on January 20, 1942. Year-round DST was reinstated in the United States on February 9, 1942, again as a wartime measure to conserve energy resources.[5] This remained in effect until after the end of the war. The Amendment to the War Time Act (59 Stat. 537), enacted September 25, 1945, ended DST as of September 30, 1945. During this period, the official designation War Time was used for year-round DST. For example, Eastern War Time (EWT) would be the equivalent of Eastern Daylight Time during this period. ...

DST 1966[edit]
The U.S. federal Uniform Time Act became law on April 13, 1966..."

Andria
So with a little research, also on Wikipedia...

American inventor and politician Benjamin Franklin proposed a form of daylight time in 1784. He wrote an essay "An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light" to the editor of The Journal of Paris, suggesting, somewhat jokingly, that Parisians could economize candle usage by getting people out of bed earlier in the morning, making use of the natural morning light instead.

Seems Franklin was engaging in a bit of satire...
Also I may have been wrong. The first law was actually during WWI, in Germany and Austria-Hungary, though the first proposed law was in 1908 in Britain.

The proposal was taken up by the Liberal Member of Parliament (MP) Robert Pearce, who introduced the first Daylight Saving Bill to the House of Commons on February 12, 1908.[33] A select committee was set up to examine the issue, but Pearce's bill did not become law, and several other bills failed in the following years. Willett lobbied for the proposal in the UK until his death in 1915.

William Sword Frost, mayor of Orillia, Ontario, introduced daylight saving time in the municipality during his tenure from 1911 to 1912.[34]

Starting on April 30, 1916, the German Empire and its World War I ally Austria-Hungary were the first to use DST (German: Sommerzeit) as a way to conserve coal during wartime. Britain, most of its allies, and many European neutrals soon followed suit. Russia and a few other countries waited until the next year, and the United States adopted it in 1918.

The things you learn on a vaping forum.;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Might convince some to have less brats If they have to unload and herd them inside and back out?
Or just go home and cook?

drive thru's as numerous as they are seems to be pretty much an American/USA thing.
Other cultures around the world thrive with just a scattering of drive thrus.

I don't think there's any way to get stupid people to spawn less. It's like they have no clue where babies come from.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think there's any way to get stupid people to spawn less. It's like they have no clue where babies come from.

Andria
Why should they spawn less since they can ride on the backs of the children so to speak?
Humans are naturally low life creatures, they must be trained to be decent people.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Howdy all. I've been incredibly busy lately. Miss you guys!!!

Just so glad to know you're safe. For some unknown reason, I had the idea that you were closer to Houston, which is now Lake Houston. :facepalm: Glad to hear you were safe! :hug:

I have a cousin who lived near Houston for quite a long time, but recently moved back to GA; sometime last year, I think; she was at my mom's funeral, which was when I learned she'd moved back... though she lives further south, Macon or Savannah or some damn place down there. :D Big enough storm in the Atlantic, it could flood down there as bad as TX or LA, it's all coastal plain till S. Atlanta. ;)

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just so glad to know you're safe. For some unknown reason, I had the idea that you were closer to Houston, which is now Lake Houston. :facepalm: Glad to hear you were safe! :hug:

I have a cousin who lived near Houston for quite a long time, but recently moved back to GA; sometime last year, I think; she was at my mom's funeral, which was when I learned she'd moved back... though she lives further south, Macon or Savannah or some damn place down there. :D Big enough storm in the Atlantic, it could flood down there as bad as TX or LA, it's all coastal plain till S. Atlanta. ;)

Andria
You're so sweet Andria thank you for thinking of me. My boss's daughter lives in Houston and had to be saved by boat. Now it's pouring in Louisiana and my sister lives in New Orleans. So I'll be keeping an eye on the news again. Love you!

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We got a bunch last night and some roads flooded around here but I stayed dry :)

Went down a round close to my house and had to back out of it. Underwater :gaah:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Andria, you and I will start seeing the remnants of Harvey towards the weekend.

I know, it's heading this direction... I don't wish any ill to any of those in its path, but I sure hope it's mostly rained-out by the time it gets here!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good grief... I just looked at the radar images, and as if Houston wasn't wet enough, there's now another multi-colored bit of shittiness over Houston! Is that the remnants of harvey or something new? It's looking a lot like someone upstairs wants to just turn the entire gulf coast into gulf!

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a wacko thought.
Is smoking conservative and vaping progressive?

I mean smoking is a long established thing and vaping is new and has unknowns involved.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Just a wacko thought.

I mean smoking is a long established thing and vaping is new and has unknowns involved.

Well, vaping is healthier and that's all I care about, lol

I'm generally more of a Luddite when it comes to new technology - so even trying vaping was a huge step for me

At work, I still have a landline with cords, I have egg beaters without a power switch and still act pissing I can't actually roll down my window in my 20-year old car :giggle:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, vaping is healthier and that's all I care about, lol

I'm generally more of a Luddite when it comes to new technology - so even trying vaping was a huge step for me

At work, I still have a landline with cords, I have egg beaters without a power switch and still act pissing I can't actually roll down my window in my 20-year old car :giggle:
Amazingly enough although I have worked on the leading edge of tech for most of my career.
I am pretty much a luddite as well.
Cellular addiction is a negative thing in our society.
Fat kids playing video games vs outside playing is stupid.
And DNA chips are too fiddly for me to want to mess with.

I have a dislike/hate relationship with my cellphone (flipphone).

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just a wacko thought.

That's true, yet the "conservatives" are more in favor of vaping, or just getting out of the way of a life-saving new thing, while the "progressives" are all in the pocket of BP and BT, and want to put every roadblock they can imagine in front of that life-saving technology, just so that they can keep making mo money. It's the Baptists and bootleggers all over again.

Andria

VU Sponsors