Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I don't think any of us in the US would be shy about asking you what your lingo means, so please, ask away and we'll clarify!

There are a lot of different types of ants here in the southeast US - from tiny black ones that you can barely see, that get in the house sometimes in the summer, love to follow trails of sugar and congregate by the hundreds if someone spills a bit of a sweet drink, to those beasts we were talking about yesterday, who live down in the deeper South, the fire ants. Big, some up to about 1/2" long, reddish brown, vicious, have bites that burn like fire (hence the name, I guess) and swell up and hurt like a b*tch! Those build huge hills in sandy areas and will swarm your feet and legs if you get too close.

I am jealous of the birds you have in Australia. Have another friend who lives in SA, near Port Augusta, and she is always showing pictures of the beautiful birds in the trees near her. I might see the occasional bluebird or cardinal here, or a red-tailed hawk, or even a bald eagle near the lake, but by and large the majority of our birds are drab and pesky. There are a lot of crows, blackbirds, and sparrows. Sometimes we do see flocks of Canadian geese or seagulls. None of them around here, except the bluebirds and cardinals, have the bright colors or mixes of color that many of your birds do.
Hi Nadalama. Our Bulldog Ants, which are common where I live, luckily for city dwellers they dont like to inhabit those places, are the most number 1 evil dangerous ants in the world. I have seen and caught them up to 3 inches long. That is not the usual size but I can guarantee and would swear in court I have seen and caught them that size. I have spent a lot of time in our Victorian bush and live in it. Some insect species grow and exist bigger than so called official sizes. I was once detecting for gold and didn't notice the nest. Sometimes the nest is visible as a small mound say 6 to 8 inches high, but still camouflaged by leaves and twigs they gather to conceal it. When you know though you can pick them. Maybe just 20% dont have it but they are usually new nests that will eventually get hidden. Ok, during the day they are mostly inactive and you might see one here and there. But for gold prospectors its another issue. They are madly territorial. And, respond like a Robocop to ground disturbance and vibration within several meters to the nest. Dig within a few feet and they send out a dozen or more fighters that stop at nothing. I have stood on one with a boot just to see it act like a leaf fell on it and keep coming. I have had them chase me for several meters till I was out of the zone. Even, sounds nuts but true, drop on me in attack out of trees that their nest was next to to get to me. They have killed people their venom is that powerfull.
Once I didn't see the nest and a few got up the legs of my pants as I was digging a target. The pain was insane and off the chart. Back home the venom kicked in and the next day I could not walk. I couldn't for 3 days. My calf muscle swelled up to twice its size and went black and blue over 50% off its area and felt hot to touch. The bruising colour took a week and a half to go away and till I could walk properly.
Thats why I always say "thank goodness they dont grow to the size of rats or we would all be dead here in OZ"
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-02/bull-ant-sting-much-worse-than-its-bite/10557922

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I MADE IT!

4 days in with the wife ;)

Woke up really early this morning, my poor old lab (12yr old) had an emergency and was yelping to wake us at 2:30a...

Family is good, still married, no arguments the weekend.

Be safe everyone!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hi Nadalama. Our Bulldog Ants, which are common where I live, luckily for city dwellers they dont like to inhabit those places, are the most number 1 evil dangerous ants in the world. I have seen and caught them up to 3 inches long. That is not the usual size but I can guarantee and would swear in court I have seen and caught them that size. I have spent a lot of time in our Victorian bush and live in it. Some insect species grow and exist bigger than so called official sizes. I was once detecting for gold and didn't notice the nest. Sometimes the nest is visible as a small mound say 6 to 8 inches high, but still camouflaged by leaves and twigs they gather to conceal it. When you know though you can pick them. Maybe just 20% dont have it but they are usually new nests that will eventually get hidden. Ok, during the day they are mostly inactive and you might see one here and there. But for gold prospectors its another issue. They are madly territorial. And, respond like a Robocop to ground disturbance and vibration within several meters to the nest. Dig within a few feet and they send out a dozen or more fighters that stop at nothing. I have stood on one with a boot just to see it act like a leaf fell on it and keep coming. I have had them chase me for several meters till I was out of the zone. Even, sounds nuts but true, drop on me in attack out of trees that their nest was next to to get to me. They have killed people their venom is that powerfull.
Once I didn't see the nest and a few got up the legs of my pants as I was digging a target. The pain was insane and off the chart. Back home the venom kicked in and the next day I could not walk. I couldn't for 3 days. My calf muscle swelled up to twice its size and went black and blue over 50% off its area and felt hot to touch. The bruising colour took a week and a half to go away and till I could walk properly.
Thats why I always say "thank goodness they dont grow to the size of rats or we would all be dead here in OZ"
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-02/bull-ant-sting-much-worse-than-its-bite/10557922

It sounds like you should take the elephant gun with you to the Victorian bush. I would try my best to blow those nasties up! Better yet, a taser or something, just buzz the beejeezus out of them.

So sorry to hear about a family member lost. This was your father-in-law? My deepest condolences, and I hope the others recover quickly and the rest of you stay healthy and safe.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Checking in. Sun, not shining, rain, pouring down. But in the best of moods getting clawed by my new kitten Harley Quinn. And the fact that I'm still alive after this weekends billet box recovery program. Headed to town to make vapemail. And have to go 30 miles east to pay my cell phone bill. They don't take cards. Online, app or over the phone. But I can use the same card they say is invalid and use it in the store for the same payment I'm trying over phone. Ugghh. Such a hassle. Need to switch to another company but that's a pain too. Like the service. The billing is a pita though.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
It sounds like you should take the elephant gun with you to the Victorian bush. I would try my best to blow those nasties up! Better yet, a taser or something, just buzz the beejeezus out of them.

So sorry to hear about a family member lost. This was your father-in-law? My deepest condolences, and I hope the others recover quickly and the rest of you stay healthy and safe.
Hi but no, not that close in relationship to me. It is my wifes kind of uncle. I dont even know what type to explain him as, but to my wife they all are considered close and a part of the big family. I say he is a second uncle, I think. She is Italian and the family even though here in Australia, live and act like those in Italy. All are the same to them, whether they be first, second or whatever relatives. Have been too, lost count of their party gatherings, and everyone hugs and kisses everyone like they love you. And they do love you. You marry into them and you are family full stop, no matter who you are. Me, I struggle to know them all though they have all taken me in, fed me, taken me fishing, hunting, and every time been in all their presence welcomed me like their own.
They are an awesome family unit, best I can explain. But many thanks for your kind words about my wifes family member, I will for sure in the morning relay that to her. Almost midnight here now and she is sound asleep.

Mmm. The Ants. I have a serious respect and semi fear of them and am always on the lookout.
I know I can appear to always have a story, but living where we do we do have many.
This is true..
Was detecting and my wife came with me. I had my detector and she was checking quartz rocks with relic detector for signals that may have indicated a find.
I hear what I thought was a "hey". So said "hey what?"
Thought it was a "hey yay" so yelled out "awesome, good on you, congratulations" thinking she made a find. So went to find her.
Mmm, not a find. She had actually screamed out as she took a leak and a bulldog ant stung her backside! :giggle:
We laugh now, but then it was "shut up you idiot an ant got me, its not funny"
Shhh, it was.. :D

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Checking in. Sun, not shining, rain, pouring down. But in the best of moods getting clawed by my new kitten Harley Quinn. And the fact that I'm still alive after this weekends billet box recovery program. Headed to town to make vapemail. And have to go 30 miles east to pay my cell phone bill. They don't take cards. Online, app or over the phone. But I can use the same card they say is invalid and use it in the store for the same payment I'm trying over phone. Ugghh. Such a hassle. Need to switch to another company but that's a pain too. Like the service. The billing is a pita though.

You just tell them, I don't know WHAT KIND OF HEATHENS Y'ALL ARE, but everybody and their brother takes cards on their apps now.

That is a hassle, and you're right, it's just as much if not more to change a dang phone number.

Hulu cut me off yesterday because I couldn't change my billing method until my new card got here. They are impatient. At least more impatient than my small-town bank was about getting a new card to me, after somebody stole the number last week or the week before. So now I have to travel the Internet, changing freaking card numbers everywhere. Again.

All of these kinds of things are huge PsITA. First world problems. Gotta love em. :wait: :crazy: :teehee:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hi but no, not that close in relationship to me. It is my wifes kind of uncle. I dont even know what type to explain him as, but to my wife they all are considered close and a part of the big family. I say he is a second uncle, I think. She is Italian and the family even though here in Australia, live and act like those in Italy. All are the same to them, whether they be first, second or whatever relatives. Have been too, lost count of their party gatherings, and everyone hugs and kisses everyone like they love you. And they do love you. You marry into them and you are family full stop, no matter who you are. Me, I struggle to know them all though they have all taken me in, fed me, taken me fishing, hunting, and every time been in all their presence welcomed me like their own.
They are an awesome family unit, best I can explain. But many thanks for your kind words about my wifes family member, I will for sure in the morning relay that to her. Almost midnight here now and she is sound asleep.

Mmm. The Ants. I have a serious respect and semi fear of them and am always on the lookout.
I know I can appear to always have a story, but living where we do we do have many.
This is true..
Was detecting and my wife came with me. I had my detector and she was checking quartz rocks with relic detector for signals that may have indicated a find.
Thought it was a "hey yay" so yelled out "awesome, good on you, congratulations" thinking she made a find. So went to find her.
Mmm, not a find. She had actually screamed out as she took a leak and a bulldog ant stung her backside! :giggle:

It was a find. She found a bulldog ant with her posterior. Should remember that, next time she really wants to find a bulldog ant! :devil: :teehee:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You just tell them, I don't know WHAT KIND OF HEATHENS Y'ALL ARE, but everybody and their brother takes cards on their apps now.

That is a hassle, and you're right, it's just as much if not more to change a dang phone number.

Hulu cut me off yesterday because I couldn't change my billing method until my new card got here. They are impatient. At least more impatient than my small-town bank was about getting a new card to me, after somebody stole the number last week or the week before. So now I have to travel the Internet, changing freaking card numbers everywhere. Again.

All of these kinds of things are huge PsITA. First world problems. Gotta love em. :wait: :crazy: :teehee:
Yea definitely first world problems. It's not just my card. Literally thousands of complaints on their site for the same reason. They recieve a $3 fee for paying in store. A racket for sure. 1000 in store bill pays a day. $3000 profit a day for just not taking plastic over the phone or app.

And I'm suprised you have to wait on bank cards anymore. My bank has a card machine that prints them in like 3 minutes. I just figures all banks would move to that for convenience alone

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
4ed9a5e064f2bff7f184718c532e3bef.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yea definitely first world problems. It's not just my card. Literally thousands of complaints on their site for the same reason. They recieve a $3 fee for paying in store. A racket for sure. 1000 in store bill pays a day. $3000 profit a day for just not taking plastic over the phone or app.

And I'm suprised you have to wait on bank cards anymore. My bank has a card machine that prints them in like 3 minutes. I just figures all banks would move to that for convenience alone

Small community bank. They do ok for being so small, but there are a few glaring deficiencies, and this is one. Banked at BoA for decades, but then they started closing their branches in smaller towns, so there was no brick & mortar bank within a reasonable driving distance. That was another thing that was a PITA - changing banks after so long. But at BoA they could hand me a replacement card in the branch and I'd be on my way. The current situation took almost two weeks to resolve. Thankfully my husband had a card out of the same account, so I've been using that for online purchases, but I didn't want to use his card for repeated billing on my Hulu account.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Checking in.... I am off work today, my job has us on work share program, so we must take a extra day off each week and lucky if we even get 8 hours a day for the other 4 days, as work got so quite, it's good we still have a job, but these short hours are hurting pay wise, we are meant to get debit cards for our work share program, but as part of unemployment, god knows when we will receive them, so getting very short pay checks now, but at least we did get the stimulus check to help out though.

We did save some money though, not happy to save it though, as it was for our vacation to SD next week, but knew it was the best thing was to cancel it, so getting money back for the hotel, didn't want to spend a week with 4 teenagers at home, so just cancelled my week off at work, me and the wife are now hoping to go to SC in October, my oldest daughter will hopefully finish boot camp and we will go for the celebration and hopefully spend the week at Myrtle Beach, but will depend on work then.

Stores seem to be slowly getting better with stock here, seeing TP and paper towels again, not fully stocked, but least some there, I got the last pack of a 60 pack of TP on friday from Dillon's, but still can't find Clorox wipes anywhere, and I looked in 4 different stores, I see meat being the next problem with these infections at meat plants, and it's already slim pickings at our Walmart.

Our 'stay at home' order has now been extended till May 3rd, and wouldn't be surprised if gets extended again, we are not hit hear hard here, but our governor seems to think different.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Checking in.... I am off work today, my job has us on work share program, so we must take a extra day off each week and lucky if we even get 8 hours a day for the other 4 days, as work got so quite, it's good we still have a job, but these short hours are hurting pay wise, we are meant to get debit cards for our work share program, but as part of unemployment, god knows when we will receive them, so getting very short pay checks now, but at least we did get the stimulus check to help out though.

We did save some money though, not happy to save it though, as it was for our vacation to SD next week, but knew it was the best thing was to cancel it, so getting money back for the hotel, didn't want to spend a week with 4 teenagers at home, so just cancelled my week off at work, me and the wife are now hoping to go to SC in October, my oldest daughter will hopefully finish boot camp and we will go for the celebration and hopefully spend the week at Myrtle Beach, but will depend on work then.

Stores seem to be slowly getting better with stock here, seeing TP and paper towels again, not fully stocked, but least some there, I got the last pack of a 60 pack of TP on friday from Dillon's, but still can't find Clorox wipes anywhere, and I looked in 4 different stores, I see meat being the next problem with these infections at meat plants, and it's already slim pickings at our Walmart.

Our 'stay at home' order has now been extended till May 3rd, and wouldn't be surprised if gets extended again, we are not hit hear hard here, but our governor seems to think different.

Is your daughter by chance at Ft. Jackson? My oldest grandson just finished up there a few months ago. He then went to training at Ft. Lee in Petersburg VA, and is now stationed at Ft. Hood down in Texas.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Wow, you folks are doing great! That is incredible.

Not good news that someone has gotten sick a second time, though. I hope we don't see much of that.
Yeah. That may be the issue the doctor I heard a while ago brought up. Its a cold type virus but a killer type. And colds go around, and around and around. People can get a short term resistance, but can catch the same cold a year or so later. Im no expert but just go by what is available as info. The colds we as many have had in our lives are often the same colds we have had before. Our immunity wears off. I hope on hope on hope the corona19 is not the same. But it has been suggested that if it is, its here to stay like the other colds and could just go around, and around like the common cold.
What a nightmare if it does.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow, you folks are doing great! That is incredible.

Not good news that someone has gotten sick a second time, though. I hope we don't see much of that.
we are lucky, in that we are isolated and girt by sea. So by the time it arrived here, our officials could see what other countries had done well, or made a mess of

we are also only 25m people, with approx same land mass as USA

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is your daughter by chance at Ft. Jackson? My oldest grandson just finished up there a few months ago. He then went to training at Ft. Lee in Petersburg VA, and is now stationed at Ft. Hood down in Texas.

She will be, she meant to go in end July, graduate in middle of October, come home for a week and then also go to Ft, Lee till February , hopefully none of this changes her plans, she's eager to get started :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
She will be, she meant to go in end July, graduate in middle of October, come home for a week and then also go to Ft, Lee till February , hopefully none of this changes her plans, she's eager to get started :)

Sounds like she will have this year's version of almost the same schedule my grandson had last year. I hope it goes well for her and isn't delayed by all the upheaval.

Just a small word of advice, suggest that she do what she can to get accustomed to high humidity. That will make things easier for her during her time at Jackson. That time of year is quite hot and humid and buggy. Maybe the steam room at the Y? When the quarantine is over, of course. I hope she does great!

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I don't think any of us in the US would be shy about asking you what your lingo means, so please, ask away and we'll clarify!

There are a lot of different types of ants here in the southeast US - from tiny black ones that you can barely see, that get in the house sometimes in the summer, love to follow trails of sugar and congregate by the hundreds if someone spills a bit of a sweet drink, to those beasts we were talking about yesterday, who live down in the deeper South, the fire ants. Big, some up to about 1/2" long, reddish brown, vicious, have bites that burn like fire (hence the name, I guess) and swell up and hurt like a b*tch! Those build huge hills in sandy areas and will swarm your feet and legs if you get too close.

I am jealous of the birds you have in Australia. Have another friend who lives in SA, near Port Augusta, and she is always showing pictures of the beautiful birds in the trees near her. I might see the occasional bluebird or cardinal here, or a red-tailed hawk, or even a bald eagle near the lake, but by and large the majority of our birds are drab and pesky. There are a lot of crows, blackbirds, and sparrows. Sometimes we do see flocks of Canadian geese or seagulls. None of them around here, except the bluebirds and cardinals, have the bright colors or mixes of color that many of your birds do.
I didn't know you were so into birds... have you checked out the live channel I work for on YT? I spend most of my time on the ground cam at night, but here's the top bird cam...

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

This is true..

We like your stories, mate. They’re interesting.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hi Countrypami, what type of bird is the Blue one in the still picture on the video before you hit play. A type of Jay?
That is a Northern Blue Jay... very common throughout the northern US and Canada. I have about 6-7 of them that come to my feeders.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That is a Northern Blue Jay... very common throughout the northern US and Canada. I have about 6-7 of them that come to my feeders.
It looks beautiful. The reason I asked is because my mother had a similar looking ornament that she said she had got from her mother which would be now I think 100 yrs old. Both my mum and grandmother are gone now. The bird ornament, I dont know where it's from, my family were early Australian settlers both sides (mother side Isle of Wight father Scotland. Mothers side came and established fruit orchards, fathers came as gold seekers) but the same looking bird is red in feather colours. Are there red Jays?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ahh, the start of what I hope is SSDW (same stuff, different week) unless something good happens.

Our county is at 90 cases and holding steady at 3 deaths. My wife and I are fine. Still bored, but being bored is better than being sick or dead.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I might tell you one day about my mad run in with the law here when I was in my 20's and how I managed not to get a bullet through my head. :)
Click, click.....

Hmm, shot gun wedding! :teehee: One up side to corona has been people getting to know one another better. And finding that even if you’re in another hemisphere, we’re all basically the same. <3

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
anim_wave.gif All is well here, same as yesterday. Burgers were so good! Today's menu is Mexican. Kitty cat is watching the birds out the window. Good thing she's an inside kitty, the neighborhood would have a lot less birds if she was outside! I guess it's time for laundry.
Please stay safe and healthy :hug:

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doing good here. Wife and I haven't killed each other yet. Neither of us has really left the house in several weeks now. Just the quick trips for necessities. She's working from home. We're watching a ton of bad movies.

Got another phone call yesterday, this one from the head of the unemployment agency. She's looking into everything that's transpired over the last week with their mistreatment of me and my case.

Still working on refinishing my kitchen cabinets, very slowly. Seems like the thing I do the most is dishes. Nonstop it seems. And it's just two of us.

I got nothing to complain about today!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It looks beautiful. The reason I asked is because my mother had a similar looking ornament that she said she had got from her mother which would be now I think 100 yrs old. Both my mum and grandmother are gone now. The bird ornament, I dont know where it's from, my family were early Australian settlers both sides (mother side Isle of Wight father Scotland. Mothers side came and established fruit orchards, fathers came as gold seekers) but the same looking bird is red in feather colours. Are there red Jays?
If the whole thing is bright red... from the US... it's most likely a Cardinal.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Checking in

All's well as can be

Just finished that ant treatment I've been dreading and putting off, lol

Gonna bathe and then plant some trees we were given by neighbors yesterday

Hope everyone stays healthy and in good mental health :wave:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Doing good here. Wife and I haven't killed each other yet. Neither of us has really left the house in several weeks now. Just the quick trips for necessities. She's working from home. We're watching a ton of bad movies.

Got another phone call yesterday, this one from the head of the unemployment agency. She's looking into everything that's transpired over the last week with their mistreatment of me and my case.

Still working on refinishing my kitchen cabinets, very slowly. Seems like the thing I do the most is dishes. Nonstop it seems. And it's just two of us.

CAREFUL with you leg when your doing them..
that ingery is a painful one.. so go easy ya don't wanna irritate it any more then you have to.
{{ yes i remembered}} in the middle of doing something WONDERFUL
an have your leg blow up...

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
CAREFUL with you leg when your doing them..
that ingery is a painful one.. so go easy ya don't wanna irritate it any more then you have to.
{{ yes i remembered}} in the middle of doing something WONDERFUL
an have your leg blow up...
Aww, thanks for the concern! Ive been taking it easy. It's down to half the size it was a week ago. The doc put me on prednisone and tylenol. Still sore, but getting better.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My wife just before rang and checked out how her relatives were going. It turns out the mother soon after was admitted to ICU as she got covid as well and the symotoms hit her hard and fast. We never knew she got it as well until now. So the husband died from it and the family, wife and two daughters were fighting for their lives in ICU. Just this morning they were moved out of it and are all three in recovery. Still far from well but the doctors believe they will be ok. Its great news but also sad news that they now have to cope with having had it and lost a husband/father.
Hope all of you here are staying safe and well.
I am really sorry to hear about how your wife's relatives, keeping them in my prayers. I hope they make a complete recovery soon.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Another Monday check in. Still well and doing as well as could be expected. Spent all day working in the garden, got to get that real food growing:cool:.
Hearing about more and more people getting it and then you hear they are opening things back up in places:facepalm:, look out:rolleyes: here comes the second wave:eek::eek:. Everyone stay safe and be nice to everyone:):cool:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

I’m so glad you heard from them. It may mean you’ll be able to sign up...hopefully! :hug:

Bad movies can be fun sometimes. The thing is to appreciate the badness of it, like with Ed Wood movies or old movies.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All good here...

wife is off again today... this past week was her normally scheduled time off that she takes yearly with her girlfriends.

but she heads back tomorrow to shadow an icu nurse to get familiarized with newer protocols in case there is a surge (which Kaiser is planning for)

San Diego is opening parks... limited neighborhood parks, no state or county parks yet. I think its a concession they are making to protesters...

Be safe everyone.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
All good here...

wife is off again today... this past week was her normally scheduled time off that she takes yearly with her girlfriends.

but she heads back tomorrow to shadow an icu nurse to get familiarized with newer protocols in case there is a surge (which Kaiser is planning for)

San Diego is opening parks... limited neighborhood parks, no state or county parks yet. I think its a concession they are making to protesters...

Be safe everyone.
when it comes to the CRAZY protesters
make me wanna tell da governer he should put a coffins out front for the NAME of EVERY person lost
and dat they should be protesting THAT...cuz dats all he is protesting against.

what your poor wife may be up against..scary.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, I braved the wilds of Walmart this morning. Senior hour @6AM. I could have been the first in line, but decided to stay in the car until someone else showed up. Freaking face mask and glasses don't go well together when it's sorta cold outside due to fogging. I was able to get pretty much everything I was looking for including TP and paper towels.

Yesterday the Raspberry Pi arrived a day early! I got that setup and now need to go through the old brain memory of dealing with Linux to do some fine tuning. A 50" TV and the standard font size requires me to sit within 5 feet of the TV. I'll get it sorted out, just didn't have time yesterday.

Our county is holding steady at 90 cases and 3 deaths. My wife and I are fine with no threats of violence except maybe for the cat, who still thinks 3AM is a good time for us to be up and feeding him.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Checking in today.

Wife started a new temporary job yesterday. They sat doing nothing from 8 am to 1 pm until the techies got the computers sorted out. First they needed to give them access to the computers. Then, they had to figure out why the network "dummies" were not connecting the "main" server on the network. She said they're using Microsoft, I replied that explained everything, she agreed. We've both been using Linux for over a decade now, both had at least two decades of using Microsoft each. We'll not go back to Microsoft. We're full Linux converts to stay.

Much to my dislike she is letting her sister drive them in but in my wife's car. My wife doesn't drive too well in Charleston. She can handle Parkersburg fine but Charleston is an asylum to her. I have trouble in voicing a dislike of her sister driving. I still dislike the idea but really, what can I say? I'd like to see my wife do well at this and get into it full time, it starts at $13 hourly. That's a bit more than the $10 or o hourly made at Goodwill, which isn't sure when they'll reopen, or if she'll have a job to go back to doing.

Yesterday I decided to walk away from an online gaming experience. There is a new server, with new administration. It's all fine and well except that you cannot critique the server errors, or mention how such errors are negatively impacting your game play. And there's only one person doing the administration, developing of it all. From the looks of it too, he drives anyone trying to help off. Besides that it was a fresh swatch of new players with their cliques. I did not fit in any sense of the experience. I had formerly been a GM, one of those who try enforcing the basic rules. So all in it was a rough bit. I walked away, not worth the frustration.

At the same time it kind of caught me off guard to miss it. Oh well, I got other stuff to get busy doing, too. All in, reckon we're still fair to middlin'. Y'all run 'er slow.

VU Sponsors