Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, people think it's gonna get somewhat better, then bad again. Not to mention that it's difficult to find masks and gloves anywhere.

Someone I used to work with is making masks and selling them for like $5. He brought a bunch to work and made a nice little haul just from us. We have the disposable ones at work, too. Running low on gloves, though. CEO dude is trying to get Kroger included in the list of places that need to be able to get stuff. Stuff the groceries can get hold of, we can't necessarily. Our supplies guy got lucky on the masks, but those will run out soon, as well. Hell we can't even get isopropyl alcohol right now. We desperately need it. We also badly need disinfectant wipes or sprays. Things are tough all over.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, people think it's gonna get somewhat better, then bad again. Not to mention that it's difficult to find masks and gloves anywhere.

Someone I used to work with is making masks and selling them for like $5. He brought a bunch to work and made a nice little haul just from us. We have the disposable ones at work, too. Running low on gloves, though. CEO dude is trying to get Kroger included in the list of places that need to be able to get stuff. Stuff the groceries can get hold of, we can't necessarily. Our supplies guy got lucky on the masks, but those will run out soon, as well. Hell we can't even get isopropyl alcohol right now. We desperately need it. We also badly need disinfectant wipes or sprays. Things are tough all over.
Here of course masks and gloves but other wise just iso alcohol, wipes and sanitizer and bleach is still sparse.
masks and gloves and medical PPE is a worldwide shortage.
Read that moscow has only 2 weeks worth of PPE left. Japan is in a world of hurts right now and already have overrun their HC system and little PPE.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Our island had only 24 cases two weeks ago, been getting about 1 more every other day, then 3 yesterday and blamo, 20 new cases confirmed today - mainly to a McDonald's in Kona where they had 11 cases, and now it is spreading in the community

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Our island had only 24 cases two weeks ago, been getting about 1 more every other day, then 3 yesterday and blamo, 20 new cases confirmed today - mainly to a McDonald's in Kona where they had 11 cases, and now it is spreading in the community
That's scary when your on a relatively small island. I hope you stay safe, and stay healthy. These are scary and stressful times. And stay away from that McDonald's!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Right across the river from us is a plant that produces alcohol and none in our stores either.:gaah:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Things are tough all over.

My way of thinking that's been the past thirty to forty years. I was in at FIL's yesterday evening and saw the grand one spouting about the economy. I had some well chosen words that brought her mom to chuckling and finished with "we so poor that damn market don't mean shit to us". Her dad chuckled too. He told me again how sorry he was for having voted for him. I told him not to worry about apologizing. It wasn't his fault, the packaging was oh so shiny, of course, it always is. I then got out of there before my blood pressure spiked from hearing a liar. I went on out to play my Hillbilly golf, weed eating that is. :)

Doing as fair and well as can be, reckon that's all we can ask. We got a pizza for supper, wife donated one too. Well, y'all run 'er slow.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I’m doing okay, still have cold symptoms but the sore throat has eased up. Thank you, God.

My county is up to 40,000 cases and 2750 deaths. Really scary. First the stats showed zero new cases, but now it’s a thousand and some up. And deaths are up by about 500, give or take.

It’s kinda hard to get accurate info, so I’m hoping these numbers are wrong.

Stay safe and healthy everyone. <3

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right across the river from us is a plant that produces alcohol and none in our stores either.:gaah:

read an article that about 2/3 or so of ethanol plants have either shut down or reduced output due to gasoline demand being down 30% in the US.
This is also causing a CO2 shortage as the ethanol plants capture and sell their CO2 to the beer and soft drink industry.
So Beer and MT Dew shortages?
A suspect that consumable type of ethanol is not made in the big gasahol type ethanol plants.
Just a thought of mine on that though :)

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Nothing really new today... gov said yesterday he's gonna start opening up some businesses on May 1, but not all of them.

Running outta good series to watch on Netflix + Hulu.. of course I had already watched a good portion of them before the lockdown.

Family + friends are all still healthy.

93390146_3424194427597181_5107224329834201088_o.jpg

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good Morning VU!

SSDD...BUT!

Get to play beautician to the wife today... Touch up the Cruella De Vil ;)

I joke with her when the white starts showing and I say to her, " Do we need to call upon Don Juan Hair Genius, Slayer of all Cruella, Maker of the Young?"... Yes Honey, she says.

Like the song from Rihanna, Unbrella... I go Cru-ELLA..>ELLLA> ELLA...A....A....A while pointing lolz

Mix up the dye, and when I start parting her hair, I always go, "Dang, what happened to the hot momma? Who is this old chick, who are you and what did you do with my wife" LOL

So far this week, I've been a manicurist, pedicurist... today I get to be the Maker of the Young

Be safe everyone!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Just a warning....
I won't LET YOU GO NEAR em! least not under a GOOD 6 feet.
gotta watch over da MOO Cow MAN
em's a Good Buddy.we go ROCK PICKING
View attachment 159010

and drink Homemade wine

View attachment 159009

pick blackberrys,,,
all kinds of stuff... I worry for him he has had a lot of medical issues.

So what does ole Sparkey have to say about you cruisin and gettin all happy with the MOO COW MAN? He's got the binoculars out, tryin ta keep up wid you? Age don't matter, health don't matter, ya hafta watch out fer them old men too! :teehee:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi everyone, not a thing new here. We are so boring, lol. Hubby is outside getting a tan and singing with the radio. I'm here with my virtual friends, as always. Hubs is going to bbq burgers later, yum!
We are still at 21 confirmed cases and 0 deaths in the county. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Stay safe and healthy :hug:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I don't think I ever posted HOW GOOD @f1r3b1rd recipe REALLY is

I use bone in/skin on thighs to get crispy skin and rendered chicken fat

1 shallot (or half a yellow onion) finely diced
1/2 stuck butter
4 garlic toes minced or cut into paste
2 tablespoons capers rinsed and drained
1/2 cup white wine
Juice of one lemon
Fresh basil chiffonade
2 green onions cut for garnish

In a good cast iron skillet sear thighs skin side down first until skin is crisp, usually take 7 minutes-8 minutes a side

Then put in 350⁰ oven for about 10 minutes

When the thighs come out remove them from pan and add in 1/2 stick butter and shallot... be sure to get up all the yummy brown bits from the pan here. Once the brown bits are pulled up throw in the wine and lemon and kick up the heat. Let it boil and reduce down a bit then add the capers and the chicken back. Baste the thighs in the sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes before serving.
Great on top of jasmine rice, gnocchi or polenta also
PERFECT WITH ---> polenta..

makes me wish he post a bit more about what he is cooking up..
cuz i have to go online shopping for a curb side pickup.

hint hint hint

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hey all, hope everybody's still hanging in there, well and safe.

Another day at home, don't know what I'm doing yet, cooking something later to use up two pounds of ground beef in the fridge. Spaghetti, probably.

Today is our 46th wedding anniversary. I've heard from one of the kids so far this morning. Hopefully the other two will remember sometime. :)

Couldn't sleep last night, finally went back to bed about 3 am, tossed and turned the rest of the time until about 9:30, when I finally gave up. Hubbs showed up with groceries about 11, so we've put those away and I think I'm going to scramble some eggs and watch a movie.

Found a "Complete Works of Thomas Wolfe" in Kindle format on Amazon the other day for $1.99, so I've been reading "You Can't Go Home Again." Have not read him before, but have been intrigued ever since I saw the movie about him with Jude Law, "Genius," from 2016. Terrific movie and so far an excellent book.

I hope everyone here will try not to relax too much, not yet. There's been an awful lot of hoo-hah on the news lately, a lot of pushing for things to happen too fast, at least it seems to me. As others have said, if we move too fast, we are setting ourselves up for bad things later. No matter how much we hate it, this situation is going to be controlled by that virus, and by people's actions, and we STILL do not know the real prevalence of illness throughout the country.

We have now had an outbreak in a juvenile justice facility here in Virginia, 25 KIDS have tested positive. We've seen already how this thing flies through facilities where people are shut up close together, and it's a horrible situation for this to happen to a bunch of children.

It isn't time to let up yet. Please be careful.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
So what does ole Sparkey have to say about you cruisin and gettin all happy with the MOO COW MAN? He's got the binoculars out, tryin ta keep up wid you? Age don't matter, health don't matter, ya hafta watch out fer them old men too! :teehee:
I JUST SAW THIS!
shame on you.
ems me BUDDY....
I help em he helps me
everybody knows am bat crap crazy about sparkey.{even after 28 years married 31 together}
get STUPID with me...
and I go home.
game over
so sparkey knows YA NEVER have to worry about ME for da wife.

Anibird

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Checking in. DH and I are fine for now. DH refuses to stay home so he hangs out at a nearby gas station every 3 days or so. He has no clue why that scares me. I swear if he gets it and gives it to me I'll "dispose" of him in the easiest manner I can think of.

My sister is doing fine. Don't know how she fought it off but it worked. My 88 soon to be 89 year old parents seem to be ok. I call every few days to see if they're coughing or not doing ok. My niece has us all terrified
She's in ICU and her case doesn't look good. She had brain damage after a car accident and doesn't understand why she has to stay in ICU hooked up to tubes and iv's. They're going to put restraints on her today if she doesn't stop. She's very sick and soon won't have the energy to be bothered by all the tubes. This is not a kind and compassionate virus.

Slight money problems but hopefully if we ever get our stimulus money. Only good part of being so broke - we can't buy DH his cigarettes any more. He can use my vapes but won't so I get to watch him try cold Turkey to quit. Should be amusing.

Amber I'm sorry to hear about your aunt and uncle. I'm praying for them. That goes for any member with a sick or endangered relative or friend. If my prayer list gets any larger I'll just start using a phone book for my list.

Everyone stay safe. Keep using masks and gloves and disinfecting everything. This virus is anything but slowing down.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So still here and all are Safe, Healthy and Symptom Free. Celebrating my parents 68th Wedding Anniversary today. So I picked up a Filet Mignon yesterday and going to BBQ them on a Charcoal Fire for dinner. Making a White Bean and Ham soup out of the Easter Ham for an Appetizer and bought a Maple Walnut Cake for Desert. Going to be a small celebration but I am doing what I can under the circumstances~!

All of you Stay Safe and Healthy please~!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Umm wow, and thank you.
But, you cooked it. The best recipe in the world tastes bad if you cook it wrong. So, while I appreciate the gratitude, pat yourself on the back.

I'm no master chef, I was a sous chef at some well known restaurants in new orleans. I learned from some of the absolute best. But i am far from one of them.

Just wait until i post up my shrimp picatta recipe.

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
Confessions from the quarantine.....

For the last couple of days, I kept seeing "SSDD" and thought "dang, a lot of my homies have some kind of social security designation......"

my "doh!" moment hit me at about 11:30 this morning

or in other words.....same shit / different day

8571A2BE-A2DA-4353-B332-E2CC6113B6D2.jpeg

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Umm wow, and thank you.
But, you cooked it. The best recipe in the world tastes bad if you cook it wrong. So, while I appreciate the gratitude, pat yourself on the back.

I'm no master chef, I was a sous chef at some well known restaurants in new orleans. I learned from some of the absolute best. But i am far from one of them.

I have shrimp what else is needed for da shopping cart....
am serious.

yet nooooooo dat recipe I made be all YOU..
cuz you gave me the Idea.. da list of ing...Proper order time an temp....
and all da hints to go with it.

am just good at following EXCELLENT instructions.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have shrimp what else is needed for da shopping cart....
am serious.

yet nooooooo dat recipe I made be all YOU..
cuz you gave me the Idea.. da list of ing...Proper order time an temp....
and all da hints to go with it.

am just good at following EXCELLENT instructions.
My version of shrimp picatta
1 pound shrimp marinated for 1/2 hour in
lemon pepper
crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves minced
Sauce
0.5 red bell pepper - finely diced
1 shallot - finely diced
6 choke hearts- finely diced
2 teaspoon capers
4 toes of finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock mixed with lemon juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/2 stick real butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh shredded parm cheese
Pasta of your choice

Precook shrimp till almost done in saute pan with olive oil.. Remove shrimp and add red bell/onion some crushed red pepper Add a touch of the wine or stock to deglaze pan and get up all the tasty bits When the pepper and onion are almost done add the choke and garlic When choke and garlic almost done add in capers, wine. Lemon juice and bring up heat. Let all liquid reduce down until almost gone and add in butter and the shrimps. Taste and adjust Serve over pasta with fresh parmesan *I use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil this is a dish that you want to use the good stuff.
FB_IMG_1587323774616.jpg

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
1 pound shrimp marinated for 1/2 hour in
lemon pepper
crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves minced
Sauce
0.5 red bell pepper - finely diced
1 shallot - finely diced
6 choke hearts- finely diced
2 teaspoon capers
4 toes of finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock mixed with lemon juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/2 stick real butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh shredded parm cheese
Pasta of your choice

Precook shrimp till almost done in saute pan with olive oil.. Remove shrimp and add red bell/onion some crushed red pepper Add a touch of the wine or stock to deglaze pan and get up all the tasty bits When the pepper and onion are almost done add the choke and garlic When choke and garlic almost done add in capers, wine. Lemon juice and bring up heat. Let all liquid reduce down until almost gone and add in butter and the shrimps. Taste and adjust Serve over pasta with fresh parmesan *I use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil this is a dish that you want to use the good stuff.
View attachment 159070
okkkkkkkkkkkk so all have to get is one red pepper
and am assuming choke hearts is artichoke hearts {can only get in a jar right now}
otherwise am GOOD TO GO.. and since already can make pasta,,, this should be WONDERFUL

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
okkkkkkkkkkkk so all have to get is one red pepper
and am assuming choke hearts is artichoke hearts {can only get in a jar right now}
otherwise am GOOD TO GO..
Yes its artichoke hearts canned or jarred is fine.
Thay red bell pepper is kind of crucial to getting the sweetness our of the sauce.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Checking in

Am going to have tea at my neighbor's yurt - six feet away and bring your own of course

It's another beautiful day - may as well make the most of this quarantine business

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I JUST SAW THIS!
shame on you.
ems me BUDDY....
I help em he helps me
everybody knows am bat crap crazy about sparkey.{even after 28 years married 31 together}
get STUPID with me...
and I go home.
game over
so sparkey knows YA NEVER have to worry about ME for da wife.

Bunny, I was only teasing you, but you have my apology. I meant no insult to you.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
ok... no problem....
I just got really Tallented Buddies that i have had for YEARS.
and I know we are close yet NOT dat kind of close.
so it confuses many people.

No hun, I wasn't confused. I really was just messing, meant no harm to you or Sparkey or the Moo Cow Man. Just had a picture in my head of Sparkey looking out the window with binoculars, thought it was funny (but certainly not realistic) and opened my mouth too soon.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
No hun, I wasn't confused. I really was just messing, meant no harm to you or Sparkey or the Moo Cow Man. Just had a picture in my head of Sparkey looking out the window with binoculars, thought it was funny (but certainly not realistic) and opened my mouth too soon.
NO REALLY ITS OK..
sides dat we HAVE THE BINOCULARS he can check up on us ANYTIME.
i gotta scoot and finish planting my trees, been doing to much doddling
soooooooooo latter....

yet I have NO hard feelings..
please Trust me.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I too could use some of that action

Social distancing yoga was fantastic - so good I no longer feel like slaughtering ants

The folks down in Savannah used to use bleach on fire ants. First few times I mowed the yard, I was hard-headed and didn't use anything. Got bitten. Several times. After that, I came out armed with bleach. Those bites hurt a lot and the ants are fierce and relentless.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
SSDD

Went to Mass today by firing up FB on the 'puter, just isn't the same. Our cat Romeo joined us, he needs the help

Our county opened up the parks, just can't use tables and playground. They also opened up golf courses. No pro shop and no bar and grill. I'm guessing just one person per cart or walking only. The courses have submit their plan and get approved. We took the dog to a park for a walk to get outta the house.

Our county is at 90 cases and still 3 deaths. My wife and I are fine, but getting very tired of this.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The folks down in Savannah used to use bleach on fire ants. First few times I mowed the yard, I was hard-headed and didn't use anything. Got bitten. Several times. After that, I came out armed with bleach. Those bites hurt a lot and the ants are fierce and relentless.
I wish I had known of the bleach trick when I was in Corpus Christi a month ago. Freaking water meter pits are full of them nasty creatures.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

*reads, ... salivates, sits swaying and drooling making funny "uh, um, uh, um ..." noises*

*Someone walks by, looks at him* You done broke 'im.

*shaking off the shrimp haze* I bet you know about a green glowing pork chop marina. Met a fella from down Mud Bottoms (what he called Lousy), his grand daddy, great grand daddy, great great grand daddy and so on back worked cooking in the restaurants. This fella he come into Navy, swore he was going to be more than a cook. What he do? Cook. *chuckles*

He had me put over the chops that day. I grilled 'em for over 20 hours, not each chop mind, but all the different batches. We could lay out 100 or so on the flat griddles. It was to me to be sure each chop tasted exactly like the one he first grilled. Oh man, that sauce, ... mmm, yum. He didn't let me know what was in his little red leather pouch. Whatever it was, made it all work beautifully.

Ah, and checking in. I sat here earlier and spat out hay what had clogged my throat. Gee, wonder what I did for about 2 to 3 hours again today. *chuckles* Actually I think maybe only an hour and a half, maybe two. Then, wife had fixed up supper with rice and veggies, chicken. Had a mouth of rice and veggies, sneezed and required a paper towel. *smh* Damn weeds.

We all fair to middlin', prolly all we can ask. Y'all run 'er slow, spread the luv and lube. :) ;) :p

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I wish I had known of the bleach trick when I was in Corpus Christi a month ago. Freaking water meter pits are full of them nasty creatures.
Hi, id assume all ants are the same, I disposed of some bulldog ants here with some petrol poured into the hole. No I didnt light it, dont think that would end well, just poured it in.
Confessions from the quarantine.....

For the last couple of days, I kept seeing "SSDD" and thought "dang, a lot of my homies have some kind of social security designation......"

my "doh!" moment hit me at about 11:30 this morning

or in other words.....same shit / different day

View attachment 159069
Im from Australia and have no idea what a lot of things mean here. As I'm sure would be the same if things were reversed. But sometimes I have no idea what certain posts are even about. :giggle:

My niece has us all terrified
She's in ICU and her case doesn't look good. She had brain damage after a car accident and doesn't understand why she has to stay in ICU hooked up to tubes and iv's. They're going to put restraints on her today if she doesn't stop. She's very sick and soon won't have the energy to be bothered by all the tubes. This is not a kind and compassionate virus.
Thats gotta be worrying for sure. Sad to hear. I hope she makes it. Here's hoping.

All the same here as far as check in. Typical no news of whats going on in our town. Especially since they cut funding a while ago for local news reporting in our district, we only hear mostly by word of mouth now. See the city another major country town news but nothing on where I live.
Hope you are all well and stay safe.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
read an article that about 2/3 or so of ethanol plants have either shut down or reduced output due to gasoline demand being down 30% in the US.
This is also causing a CO2 shortage as the ethanol plants capture and sell their CO2 to the beer and soft drink industry.
So Beer and MT Dew shortages?
A suspect that consumable type of ethanol is not made in the big gasahol type ethanol plants.
Just a thought of mine on that though :)
I worked at one of such plants, it sucked:rolleyes:
But my question is: since there is no alcohol to be found so yo speak, and since gas consumption is down, why not make alcohol for medical use?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I worked at one of such plants, it sucked:rolleyes:
But my question is: since there is no alcohol to be found so yo speak, and since gas consumption is down, why not make alcohol for medical use?
Those plants make methanol which is deadly. I do not think they are set up to make medical grade alcohol.

any moon shiner knows the first alcohol out of the 'batch' is methanol and must be tossed. for fuel they do not care and prefer it actually to prevent people drinking it instead of mixing it in gas. Distilleries now is another matter they make drinking grade ethanol.
Most of them now are making hand sanitizer around here.

Only legal way to sell ethanol is in booze, PGA/everclear or products like hand sanitizer.

Isopropyl now I do not know prolly panic bought and bought commercial sanitizing of facilities?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Checking in. DH and I are fine for now. DH refuses to stay home so he hangs out at a nearby gas station every 3 days or so. He has no clue why that scares me. I swear if he gets it and gives it to me I'll "dispose" of him in the easiest manner I can think of.

My sister is doing fine. Don't know how she fought it off but it worked. My 88 soon to be 89 year old parents seem to be ok. I call every few days to see if they're coughing or not doing ok. My niece has us all terrified

Slight money problems but hopefully if we ever get our stimulus money. Only good part of being so broke - we can't buy DH his cigarettes any more. He can use my vapes but won't so I get to watch him try cold Turkey to quit. Should be amusing.

Amber I'm sorry to hear about your aunt and uncle. I'm praying for them. That goes for any member with a sick or endangered relative or friend. If my prayer list gets any larger I'll just start using a phone book for my list.

Everyone stay safe. Keep using masks and gloves and disinfecting everything. This virus is anything but slowing down.
Makes me happy to hear that you and your hubby are doing well and I am glad your sister is doing better but sorry to hear about your niece, I'll keep her in my prayers and hope she has a fast recovery.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sunday check in. Still doin good here:), cases still on the rise:eek:.
I slapped on the headphones and spent most of the day working in the garden. We had 4 inches of snow a few days ago and today it got up to 63 so I shed my shirt and changed to shorts, felt good to get some vitamin D today. Planted over 600 onion plants.
Sending my thoughts and my prayers to those who that are sick and am thankful for all that are well. Please stay well and be very careful, it's still lerking out there somewhere just waiting for somebody to slip up.:eek:

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haven't checked in for a bit. I'm still alive. Haven't even been online much. Got a new smoker and I've been playing with it. Taking it for it's maiden cook with meat on Tuesday. Baby back ribs and smoked potatoes will be on the menu. Next week is my first ever brisket. Aside from the smoker I've been spending time with my daughter cooking and playing games.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My wife just before rang and checked out how her relatives were going. It turns out the mother soon after was admitted to ICU as she got covid as well and the symotoms hit her hard and fast. We never knew she got it as well until now. So the husband died from it and the family, wife and two daughters were fighting for their lives in ICU. Just this morning they were moved out of it and are all three in recovery. Still far from well but the doctors believe they will be ok. Its great news but also sad news that they now have to cope with having had it and lost a husband/father.
Hope all of you here are staying safe and well.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey all, hope everybody's still hanging in there, well and safe.

Another day at home, don't know what I'm doing yet, cooking something later to use up two pounds of ground beef in the fridge. Spaghetti, probably.

Today is our 46th wedding anniversary. I've heard from one of the kids so far this morning. Hopefully the other two will remember sometime. :)

Couldn't sleep last night, finally went back to bed about 3 am, tossed and turned the rest of the time until about 9:30, when I finally gave up. Hubbs showed up with groceries about 11, so we've put those away and I think I'm going to scramble some eggs and watch a movie.

Found a "Complete Works of Thomas Wolfe" in Kindle format on Amazon the other day for $1.99, so I've been reading "You Can't Go Home Again." Have not read him before, but have been intrigued ever since I saw the movie about him with Jude Law, "Genius," from 2016. Terrific movie and so far an excellent book.

I hope everyone here will try not to relax too much, not yet. There's been an awful lot of hoo-hah on the news lately, a lot of pushing for things to happen too fast, at least it seems to me. As others have said, if we move too fast, we are setting ourselves up for bad things later. No matter how much we hate it, this situation is going to be controlled by that virus, and by people's actions, and we STILL do not know the real prevalence of illness throughout the country.

We have now had an outbreak in a juvenile justice facility here in Virginia, 25 KIDS have tested positive. We've seen already how this thing flies through facilities where people are shut up close together, and it's a horrible situation for this to happen to a bunch of children.

It isn't time to let up yet. Please be careful.

Happy Anniversary, Nadalama. I’m so happy for you two. <3<3

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
So still here and all are Safe, Healthy and Symptom Free. Celebrating my parents 68th Wedding Anniversary today. So I picked up a Filet Mignon yesterday and going to BBQ them on a Charcoal Fire for dinner. Making a White Bean and Ham soup out of the Easter Ham for an Appetizer and bought a Maple Walnut Cake for Desert. Going to be a small celebration but I am doing what I can under the circumstances~!

All of you Stay Safe and Healthy please~!

Hope your parents had a great anniversary day! Glad your family is doing well. :hug:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
My wife just before rang and checked out how her relatives were going. It turns out the mother soon after was admitted to ICU as she got covid as well and the symotoms hit her hard and fast. We never knew she got it as well until now. So the husband died from it and the family, wife and two daughters were fighting for their lives in ICU. Just this morning they were moved out of it and are all three in recovery. Still far from well but the doctors believe they will be ok. Its great news but also sad news that they now have to cope with having had it and lost a husband/father.
Hope all of you here are staying safe and well.

So sorry to hear that. It’s great the others are recovering and that you and the missus are okay. :hug:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hi, id assume all ants are the same, I disposed of some bulldog ants here with some petrol poured into the hole. No I didnt light it, dont think that would end well, just poured it in.

Im from Australia and have no idea what a lot of things mean here. As I'm sure would be the same if things were reversed. But sometimes I have no idea what certain posts are even about. :giggle:

Thats gotta be worrying for sure. Sad to hear. I hope she makes it. Here's hoping.

All the same here as far as check in. Typical no news of whats going on in our town. Especially since they cut funding a while ago for local news reporting in our district, we only hear mostly by word of mouth now. See the city another major country town news but nothing on where I live.
Hope you are all well and stay safe.

I don't think any of us in the US would be shy about asking you what your lingo means, so please, ask away and we'll clarify!

There are a lot of different types of ants here in the southeast US - from tiny black ones that you can barely see, that get in the house sometimes in the summer, love to follow trails of sugar and congregate by the hundreds if someone spills a bit of a sweet drink, to those beasts we were talking about yesterday, who live down in the deeper South, the fire ants. Big, some up to about 1/2" long, reddish brown, vicious, have bites that burn like fire (hence the name, I guess) and swell up and hurt like a b*tch! Those build huge hills in sandy areas and will swarm your feet and legs if you get too close.

I am jealous of the birds you have in Australia. Have another friend who lives in SA, near Port Augusta, and she is always showing pictures of the beautiful birds in the trees near her. I might see the occasional bluebird or cardinal here, or a red-tailed hawk, or even a bald eagle near the lake, but by and large the majority of our birds are drab and pesky. There are a lot of crows, blackbirds, and sparrows. Sometimes we do see flocks of Canadian geese or seagulls. None of them around here, except the bluebirds and cardinals, have the bright colors or mixes of color that many of your birds do.

VU Sponsors