Become a Patron!

Can't fix the burnt taste

tylereveritt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
NEWBIE ALERT

i am using a Smok tf-rta and i just recently replaced the coils with prebuilt claptons. This was my first time installing prebuilt claptons, and i have no idea whether i did it wrong or if i am just still really inexperienced in wicking, or both lol. After screwing up a couple prebuilt installs i felt like i had it right on this last try, as i was able to pulse it evenly on both coils. It tasted burnt. I tried wickingg differently, it tasted dry. I tried wicking with very little wick, tasted burnt. I am wondering if i burnt the coils out, as i pulsed it a lot before i got them to evenly heat up.

Thanks in advance

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
lower the wattage a bit. The wicks should be snug but not tight. It you Pull them back and forth in the coil and feel some resistance, than that is correct. Packing too much wick in (the tails) can hinder ejuice from wicking, Cut and thin the tails out and fluff them up when inserting them into the base. When you get a good vape, increase the wattage a bit for more vapor.

tylereveritt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just tried that and it didn't seem to work, it still was burnt the moment it hit. My wattage was set at 37.5. I have some pics of what is looks like primed.

Attachments

• IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 34

tylereveritt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
UPDATE:

It's been about 10 minutes since the first hit, it no longer tastes burnt, just completely dry with no flavor. Still vaping at 37.5 watts.

tylereveritt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am up to 50 now and it's starting to taste a little burnt. Should I keep going higher?

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
is it me or does his coil seem very far away from the air flow. sometimes to large of a distance will create a flavorless vape. I tend to build close then raise it a little at a time the best distance for me is just enough to let my tweezer under with out touching if that make since. I get a nice warm sometimes hot flavored vape that way. but I run the risk of wick and air flow meeting which can cause leaking but the way I vape that is not an issue.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
is it me or does his coil seem very far away from the air flow. sometimes to large of a distance will create a flavorless vape. I tend to build close then raise it a little at a time the best distance for me is just enough to let my tweezer under with out touching if that make since. I get a nice warm sometimes hot flavored vape that way. but I run the risk of wick and air flow meeting which can cause leaking but the way I vape that is not an issue.
You could be correct....although I've never had coils much closer to the airflow than what I can see from the pictures. But the pictures could be misleading. Certainly wouldn't hurt to push the coils down some and try it.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I noticed you didn't post your resistance.
What is your mod reading for resistance?
I ask because maybe your built them for .45 however there is a bad connection and you're getting .15 or 1.5.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
IMO, 2-3mm distance from the air holes should work fine. If you're too close to the air holes, you could restrict the airflow.
Overall, it's most likely the wicking. Too much, or too little can cause burnt flavor. As @Zamazam described, the wick should have just a tiny little bit of resistance when pulling the wick back and forth. If wicking is not the issue, the only thing I can think off would be a coil being too close to the chamber, which might cause sparks between a coil and the chamber.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
There could be hidden hot spots where the legs connect to the posts or at the bottom side of the coils and also in some cases after you get rid of the hot spots a new one may appear after wicking from moving the coil slightly.
yup and hot spots will give you a nasty taste even though everything else seems fine

tylereveritt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
UPDATE:
I moved the coils down and it seems to have more flavor, however, it still tastes burnt. I'm beginning to think moving it may have created more hotspots and that i need to fix them and rewick with the coils lower. Also my resistance is at .39. Should i send pics of my coils while pulsing so that you guys can see if there is hotspots i haven't seen?

also thank you guys, the support I've gotten so far is amazing from you guys

tylereveritt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@SirRichardRear I did get rid of hotspots to the best of my ability. Everything looked good to me, however, I'm sure a more experienced person could point out flaws.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@SirRichardRear I did get rid of hotspots to the best of my ability. Everything looked good to me, however, I'm sure a more experienced person could point out flaws.
the coils should heat up evenly from the center out. If it doesn't then you need to fix the hot spots. Ceramic tweezers are great for that but even if you don't have any just brush the coils with your tweezers before firing then fire and see if it's gone and repeat until you get a nice even glow. also make sure your connections are tight and the coil isn't touching anything but cotton

tylereveritt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I checked the hotspots and got everything heating evenly and repositioned the coils. I'm about to rewick

Attachments

• IMG_2439.JPG
    IMG_2439.JPG
    914.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG
    847.6 KB · Views: 19

tylereveritt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got it. I'm still planning on trimming based on how it fits in the juice wells

Attachments

• IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    886.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    826.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    742.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2445.JPG
    IMG_2445.JPG
    767 KB · Views: 14

tylereveritt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Let me know what you guys think

Attachments

• IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    829.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2447.JPG
    IMG_2447.JPG
    965.7 KB · Views: 12

tylereveritt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's the Smok tf-rta with an Encom snow leopard 150W. I'll let you know how it vapes.

tylereveritt

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fixed it guys! Turns out I've just been using the same juice for way too long and I'm really burnt out on it. Had a guy at a vape shop try it and he said it tastes the way it should, but when i hit it it just tasted burnt. Either way, i feel like i learned a lot and thank you all for the support!

@Paratech have you tried the G2? I'm really thinking about going for the g4, I've heard great things about it, the only con being that building it is a pain.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fixed it guys! Turns out I've just been using the same juice for way too long and I'm really burnt out on it. Had a guy at a vape shop try it and he said it tastes the way it should, but when i hit it it just tasted burnt. Either way, i feel like i learned a lot and thank you all for the support!

@Paratech have you tried the G2? I'm really thinking about going for the g4, I've heard great things about it, the only con being that building it is a pain.

That's awesome!
I haven't tried the G2 YET however once it is time to change the G4 I'll definitely be checking it out.
As far a pain to build on the G4, I think you'll find it isn't near as difficult as you may think.
The style is certainly different than I am used to but definitely not difficult.
I will agree that is isn't as easy as SOME velocity style decks though.
But with the flavor I am getting out of this RTA, it is well worth every extra once of effort that it may take.
I think I'm just going to get 3 or 4 G2's and same amount of G4's to have pre-prepped and ready to go.
Loving this thing.

VU Sponsors