Become a Patron!

Billet Box Appreciation Thread

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Other thing I do, slide the glass down a touch, hold your finger over the side air holes and along the bottom where the coil sticks out, and draw on the drip tip without firing it. Theory is to create some vaccum in the coil to draw the juice into the coil.
I usually put a few drops of juice in the coil before I put it in the bridge, install the whole thing, take a few pulls without firing it, then let it sit a couple of minutes. Been using the same coils for a few weeks now.
I just got the Justfog c601 pod thingamadoodad. Not bad at all. Flavor not as good as the BB, but it will do in a pinch. It is refillable and the coil is pretty easy to replace, just waiting for some NR-R-NR wires from FT.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My DIY is mostly Max vg...so if the recipe uses 14% flavoring, rest is vg.

Works fine with the nats, kanger, cCells, just not so well with the Insider, Exocet.

I prime as usual, install, fill the boro 3/4's full so there is some vacuum...same with refilling, never all the way for the same reason.

I tried 60/40 and 50/50 once, but sprung a leak, additionally didn't make much difference flavor wise so decided to go thicker for the sake of possible leaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I filled the tank as much as possible lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I filled the tank as much as possible lol

Ah ha! There is your problem! The full tank isn't allowing the juice to flow into the coil. You need a bit of space to allow some air in to allow the juice to flow. Think of putting a straw into a glass of liquid, holding your finger over the end of the straw, and lifting it out of the liquid. The liquid stays in the straw until you let your finger off the straw.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ah ha! There is your problem! The full tank isn't allowing the juice to flow into the coil. You need a bit of space to allow some air in to allow the juice to flow. Think of putting a straw into a glass of liquid, holding your finger over the end of the straw, and lifting it out of the liquid. The liquid stays in the straw until you let your finger off the straw.
Lesson learned :) I don't think I burnt up the coil. Getting good vapor production now but not much flavor.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Any factory coil takes a little bit to break in. I remembered that after I started using them again. Then I remember why I stopped using them in the first place.

Sent from the Death Star
I know right. The ease of dropping a coil in there was too enticing. I'll use the exocet soon. Maybe tonight if this coil makes me mad lol

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any factory coil takes a little bit to break in. I remembered that after I started using them again. Then I remembered why I stopped using them in the first place.

Sent from the Death Star
just waiting to see what you think of the EUC ceramic coils in the MF bridge....

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lesson learned :) I don't think I burnt up the coil. Getting good vapor production now but not much flavor.

Hell I didn't know that either. A good tip for sure. Glad you got it half way there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What's the highest wattage you guys have been able to run the .5 Kanger coils?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm at 20.5 but also chain vaping like crazy.

Prolly should've upped my nicotine.

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm at 20.5 but also chain vaping like crazy.

Prolly should've upped my nicotine.

I run steady 25w. Sometimes bump it up to 27w. Odd time 30w but then it gets hot quick.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just waiting to see what you think of the EUC ceramic coils in the MF bridge....
Hopefully I'll find out in a couple of weeks. Have two coming so I can run one MTL and one restricted lung with the 0.5 ohm EUCs which will arrive with my RPG SXKUSBBB.

I hear nothing but good things so I've got my fingers crossed.

Sent from the Death Star

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
the MF bridge is the Billets last chance with me... If it sucks... up for sale it goes.

MF MTL Bridge - Kanger - Comfort - Insider - Exocet - A-Tank - 3 Boros

I really like the vape from the Exocet...just hate the frequency of rewicking to maintain optimum performance (daily)

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the MF bridge is the Billets last chance with me... If it sucks... up for sale it goes.

MF MTL Bridge - Kanger - Comfort - Insider - Exocet - A-Tank - 3 Boros

I really like the vape from the Exocet...just hate the frequency of rewicking to maintain optimum performance (daily)
Yup. That's why I'm done with rebuildables for the BB. Too much of a PITA to drain the Boro, disassemble the atty, screw it in another mod or ohm meter, rewick, then do the whole song and dance in reverse.
I love the portability of it and the options available to customize the look and vape, though.

Sent from the Death Star

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup. That's why I'm done with rebuildables for the BB. Too much of a PITA to drain the Boro, disassemble the atty, screw it in another mod or ohm meter, rewick, then do the whole song and dance in reverse.
I love the portability of it and the options available to customize the look and vape, though.

Sent from the Death Star

Yeah I hear ya with that... good vape from most of the tanks I have for the BB, and the Exo by far the most flavorful for me...just the hassle of maintaining the Exo can eat a dick lol.

I Like the A-Tank, just truly hate the break in times for cCells... I want to vape well for the duration, not suffer a tank ;)

Kanger coils, well suck.

Nat coils work, but flavor is really bad for them... for instance if I were to rate the Nat from 1-10 on 3 deltas... Ease 9...flavor 4...longevity 9

Insider the same as Exo... really good flavor...just the frequency of having to rewick.

Which leaves the MF bridge when it arrives... I have a pack of .5's and 1.3s coming...along with other odds and ends, but if both of those suck...yeah washing my hands of the BB.

Cause really what good is subpar flavor even if you can dress it up... Like Mag wheels on a Pinto, or seeing rear spoilers on a front wheel drive lol

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Plenty of Chevy Cobalt, Hyundai, and Kia owners would disagree. I'd even throw the Honda Civic crowd under that bus, too!

Sent from the Death Star
They are called wings when they're on a 4cyl. Import. Haven't we all seen fast and furious 21.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They are called wings when they're on a 4cyl. Import. Haven't we all seen fast and furious 21.

I once saw a huge aluminum one on a pea soup colored Kia Rio in the local community college parking lot (go figure!). It seriously hung over a foot and a half on each side!

Sent from the Death Star

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I once saw a huge aluminum one on a pea soup colored Kia Rio in the local community college parking lot (go figure!). It seriously hung over a foot and a half on each side!

Sent from the Death Star
Damn

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Kinda funny that lots of Squonk Bonkers are also Billet Box Bonkers. :giggle:
Yes, I noticed that too. I am not opposed to see some cross-pollination in topics betw each thread. :)

"Great Minds Think Alike!" (referring to all of us here, that are over there too) :stars2:

Last edited:

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
So my RPG is off to new home today and I needed some color in my life for my Ratblack SXKUSBBB. Had some leftover Rit Synthetic dye from a BMM Punk I had once upon a time and decided to give it go.
Troy's panels in MJF (sp?) nylon took the color almost immediately! Turned out really rich and I'm a bit impressed with myself today.

Sent from the Death Star
028057e6120154978660b104395a03d7.jpg
That looks GREAT! Nice job! :)

zadlives

Member For 2 Years
I'm late getting back over here I guess, missed like two full pages of talk! Still bummed about the scratched SXK but learning to live with it - and at least one helpful thing came out of the shitshow thread on ecr, which was that a couple people suggested trying to fill in the scratch with a Sharpie. I have about a million Sharpies, so I layered a couple of colors on there and wiped the excess away and it did help somewhat.

In the meantime, I am a child who should not be allowed to be in charge of my own finances, and in related news I have a used authentic BB coming next week some time.

zz99

Member For 1 Year
I'm using the .5 ohm Kanger coil right now but it's reading .68-.70

Mine are exactly the same. Currently running a 1.2ohm OCC coil and that reads as 1.38. Running it at 19 Watts, excellent with a tweaking MTL condensation plug

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My BB ripped my battery wrap on both ends taking it out last night. Gonna have to push the negative contact up a bit.

Got a few slightly burned hits on the way to work, so maybe I did ruin the coil initially, idk. Contemplating adding some PG and nic to my juice to thin it out to about 35/65 and give me more throat hit.

Will probably try the exocet today.

Off topic, I made my last rent payment this morning! 10 more days!

Edit: Also not sure if my door is warped or the battery ribbon is causing it to not sit flush, but right now i can rock the door if I alternate pushing on the top and bottom of it.

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My BB ripped my battery wrap on both ends taking it out last night. Gonna have to push the negative contact up a bit.

Got a few slightly burned hits on the way to work, so maybe I did ruin the coil initially, idk. Contemplating adding some PG and nic to my juice to thin it out to about 35/65 and give me more throat hit.

Will probably try the exocet today.

Off topic, I made my last rent payment this morning! 10 more days!

Edit: Also not sure if my door is warped or the battery ribbon is causing it to not sit flush, but right now i can rock the door if I alternate pushing on the top and bottom of it.

I'm assuming you got the SXK BB? My negative contact was very tight at first as well. On the button side, take off the panel and you will see two screws on the top right hand side, take those off and the negative contact will come out. With a pair of pliers, gently squeeze the contact. Put it back in, and test fit the battery. I had to take it out a couple times to get the right tension so I can take out the battery without using the ribbon.

As for the coil, you may have just got a bum coil in the pack. It may be the remaining burnt taste from having it dry hit.

I know I purchased the BB in hopes of having a hassle free vape. My first couple hours with it were frustrating as hell.

Negative contact was too tight
Tore up a battery wrap and had to rewrap
The gasket on the boro tank wouldn't sit down when sliding the glass on
Broke off the contact on the very first coil I put into the boro tank (don't even ask how!)
The second coil I put in I burned it up

After I got all that sorted out, it's been great!

One more thing I ran into was the threads on top of the mod were covered in machine oil. I kept getting a funky flavor that I had no idea where it was coming from.

Unscrewed the drip tip holder thingy and cleaned with alcohol. The gunk that came off it was black and disgusting. Next I took a paper towel soaked in alcohol and stuffed it into the threaded part in the mod itself and kept turning it in there. I kept changing to a clean section of paper towel with alcohol until no more black stuff came off it.

I noticed in another thread you said the mod was filthy when you got it, so that may be the source of the funky flavor as well.

So after all that, my dreams of a hassle free vape seemed to have gone up in a puff of vapor. But after getting all that sorted out, I did absolutely nothing to it except add juice and change the battery for three weeks. Washed out the boro tank and put a new coil in which took about 10 minutes and should be good to go for another 3 weeks or more.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm assuming you got the SXK BB? My negative contact was very tight at first as well. On the button side, take off the panel and you will see two screws on the top right hand side, take those off and the negative contact will come out. With a pair of pliers, gently squeeze the contact. Put it back in, and test fit the battery. I had to take it out a couple times to get the right tension so I can take out the battery without using the ribbon.

As for the coil, you may have just got a bum coil in the pack. It may be the remaining burnt taste from having it dry hit.

I know I purchased the BB in hopes of having a hassle free vape. My first couple hours with it were frustrating as hell.

Negative contact was too tight
Tore up a battery wrap and had to rewrap
The gasket on the boro tank wouldn't sit down when sliding the glass on
Broke off the contact on the very first coil I put into the boro tank (don't even ask how!)
The second coil I put in I burned it up

After I got all that sorted out, it's been great!

One more thing I ran into was the threads on top of the mod were covered in machine oil. I kept getting a funky flavor that I had no idea where it was coming from.

Unscrewed the drip tip holder thingy and cleaned with alcohol. The gunk that came off it was black and disgusting. Next I took a paper towel soaked in alcohol and stuffed it into the threaded part in the mod itself and kept turning it in there. I kept changing to a clean section of paper towel with alcohol until no more black stuff came off it.

I noticed in another thread you said the mod was filthy when you got it, so that may be the source of the funky flavor as well.

So after all that, my dreams of a hassle free vape seemed to have gone up in a puff of vapor. But after getting all that sorted out, I did absolutely nothing to it except add juice and change the battery for three weeks. Washed out the boro tank and put a new coil in which took about 10 minutes and should be good to go for another 3 weeks or more.
Gonna have to sideline it until I get home from work. Then i'll throw a different coil in there. I'm going to prime the shit out of it and maybe poke holes in the cotton.

edit: I feel like I should not be getting dry hits at 20-22 watts.

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gonna have to sideline it until I get home from work. Then i'll throw a different coil in there. I'm going to prime the shit out of it and maybe poke holes in the cotton.

No, definitely not. While you have it apart, clean those threads.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Which coils again? Nat .7's?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
.5 kanger

I do have the .7 nat, but havent tried them yet.

Well if the kanger .5's are your preferred AF...the Nat .7s have about half the af and only need 12-15w Max although the box says 13-23.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well if the kanger .5's are your preferred AF...the Nat .7s have about half the af and only need 12-15w Max although the box says 13-23.

I had a nautilus tank years ago but can't remember what it was like lol.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok...

Pulled out the negative contact and shortened the spring.

Clean the threads where the 510 goes.

Poked holes in a new coil, primed and assembled. Filled the tank, left plenty of room for a vacuum. Took a couple dry hits while restricting the airflow and saw air bubbles! Woohoo lol.

It's been sitting for about 15 mins so far. Wish me luck.

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok...

Pulled out the negative contact and shortened the spring.

Clean the threads where the 510 goes.

Poked holes in a new coil, primed and assembled. Filled the tank, left plenty of room for a vacuum. Took a couple dry hits while restricting the airflow and saw air bubbles! Woohoo lol.

It's been sitting for about 15 mins so far. Wish me luck.

8530975.jpg

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just now took a few hits. Still seems dry with not much flavor but no burning yet. I actually hear some popping. I didn't get any of that from my last coil.

Running a whopping 16W at the moment. Gotta break in the coil for a bit. I'm scared to turn the Watts up too soon.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I'm not getting any burnt hits on this coil but I can't taste the juice. Im thinking that's normal for low wattage coil heads?

I know some people raise the flavor percentage of their juice for low Watts and sometimes use more PG. Maybe I'll try that.

I'll probably put it up for the day as I'm going to the lake and take a squonk set up.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I'm not getting any burnt hits on this coil but I can't taste the juice. Im thinking that's normal for low wattage coil heads?

I know some people raise the flavor percentage of their juice for low Watts and sometimes use more PG. Maybe I'll try that.

For me that's usually an indication of too much airflow and wattage set too low. You could probably afford to bump it up a bit.

IIRC, you're using the 0.5 ohm OCC coils right? You should be able to run those at around 25 watts with no issues.

Sent from the Death Star

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For me that's usually an indication of too much airflow and wattage set too low. You could probably afford to bump it up a bit.

IIRC, you're using the 0.5 ohm OCC coils right? You should be able to run those at around 25 watts with no issues.

Sent from the Death Star
Thanks jmoney. I'll turn up the Watts and if I burn it up, I'll try the Nautilus coil.

Wanted to get the rba in there last night but my cousin came over and I had to help him troubleshoot his set ups.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just tried two tighter 510s but it didn't help.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks jmoney. I'll turn up the Watts and if I burn it up, I'll try the Nautilus coil.

Wanted to get the rba in there last night but my cousin came over and I had to help him troubleshoot his set ups.

Gotta love when everyone comes to you for vape issues in the real world. Lol I actually don't mind

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I have been running the Kanger SSOCC 0.5 ohm stainless steel coils at 25w minimum, 27w often, and 30w here and there. Anything under 25w to me gives a weak vape.

For context and comparison, I usually run a 0.4 ohm 316L SS coil in my squonk setups like the Squeeze and KRMA which is similar airflow to a Hadaly. So 40ish watts on squonk, or 25ish watts on the BB and I get similar satisfying vape.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gotta love when everyone comes to you for vape issues in the real world. Lol I actually don't mind

I don't mind for a few people but he's been irritating the shit out of me lol. Been messaging me for a week, all day everyday.

I did understand his frustration. Trying to quit cigs but having a hard time because his set ups aren't working like he wants.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have been running the Kanger SSOCC 0.5 ohm stainless steel coils at 25w minimum, 27w often, and 30w here and there. Anything under 25w to me gives a weak vape.

For context and comparison, I usually run a 0.4 ohm 316L SS coil in my squonk setups like the Squeeze and KRMA which is similar airflow to a Hadaly. So 40ish watts on squonk, or 25ish watts on the BB and I get similar satisfying vape.
I run about .27 ohms in my b2ks and gr1 on mech mods. So I know I won't get the same vape, but that's ok, I think lol.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't mind for a few people but he's been irritating the shit out of me lol. Been messaging me for a week, all day everyday.

I did understand his frustration. Trying to quit cigs but having a hard time because his set ups aren't working like he wants.

Yea I can see that being an issue. Your end and his. Lol

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

No problem! It really should be fine if you bump it up.

Sent from the Death Star

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I run about .27 ohms in my b2ks and gr1 on mech mods. So I know I won't get the same vape, but that's ok, I think lol.

Ya the B2K can take quite a bit of power. I mean adjusted expectations and all that, the BB with a Kanger coil isn't going to replicate the vape from a squonk setup. You just can't get that juicy thick moist warm vape from a BB. You're running 50ish watts in the squonk setups, so even half that in the BB and it's just not going to be the same.

I built the RBA head with the same 0.4 316L coil and got a slightly better vape from the RBA than the premade coil.

I like the portability of the BB. Not over squonking while driving, having juice leak out of airholes while it's in my pocket, ease of refilling while on the go, easily going two tanks full of juice on one battery, USB charging if needed in a pinch. So the BB has it's place for me, but I don't think I could ditch my squonks and go BB 100% of the time.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Seems like I get flavor on the first hit, when I haven't hit it in 5-10 minutes, but every hit after that first one has no flavor.

And since I'm not getting the vape I'm used to, I chain vape this thing.

VU Sponsors