VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
311   0   0
cmcarthy7128

I sold him 2 Double Barrels at a super price of 80.00 shipped for both in December.
I just got it charged back to my PayPal account because he disputed the charge with his bank!
c6b560e7497ec2363937bb8a7635ce6c.jpg

4d2f23c71f465e52bd5cb74420847c82.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah... the real Charles McCarthy (the guy in the photo) is a well known conservative politician. Scammers are known for using photos of politicians, lesser known celebrities, and the like.

Edit to add: just do a search for his user name. The same profile pic will come up... exactly the same pic. On Twitter.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Lucky me. I sold him a bundle 2yrs & 1 month ago, for 180 shipped.
I didn't think it would happen, but he finally got me paid after being or acting confused. I use Zelle. So he had to mean it, ie no recourse.

I have a copy of the shipping label, and I think a phone number.

Are you sending PP a tracking # ? or something?
Makes me wonder the card's validity.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah... the real Charles McCarthy (the guy in the photo) is a well known conservative politician. Scammers are known for using photos of politicians, lesser known celebrities, and the like.

Edit to add: just do a search for his user name. The same profile pic will come up... exactly the same pic. On Twitter.

Startpage lists many Charles McCarthy-s. One is a UFC fighter, another a professor of music at Stanford, a young adult athlete at Kansas University, a president on a district FDIC.

Almost seems as common as Jim Jones. Guess bunko squad would tell us that's why such names are chosen, commonality and all putting folks at ease. ( Has to stop watching Jack Webb on Dragnet. )

Hoping it's a misunderstanding. Otherwise, people, please do not fool with @gadget! . He's a straight shooting, stand up type of person. You're for sure going to rally folks fooling with him.

Last edited:

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
311   0   0
Using the resources I have available, there is a Charles McCarthy living at the address the package was delivered to.

And yes, I sent PayPal the screenshot he sent me confirming he had made the payment, a screenshot of the conversation here, a picture of the package addressed to him, a screenshot from USPS showing the package was delivered, and the tracking number.

If this guy is a scammer, he scammed the wrong person!

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
311   0   0
On a side note...
He paid Friends and Family.
But if a buyer can go to his bank and dispute the charge, PayPal will go to you for it!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
On a side note...
He paid Friends and Family.
But if a buyer can go to his bank and dispute the charge, PayPal will go to you for it!

If he paid friends & family how is there even a buyer?
You mean to tell me that if someone sends money to their kids for Christmas they can come pull a charge back a couple months later?
Even worse, someone can come buy anything and everything from the classifieds, keep it all, then get their money back?
That makes no sense at all.
Why have an F&F if the one "F" can renege at any time and take their money back?

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
311   0   0
If he paid friends & family how is there even a buyer?
You mean to tell me that if someone sends money to their kids for Christmas they can come pull a charge back a couple months later?
Even worse, someone can come buy anything and everything from the classifieds, keep it all, then get their money back?
That makes no sense at all.
Why have an F&F if the one "F" can renege at any time and take their money back?
My thoughts exactly!
They can't dispute it through PayPal but if they go to the bank they used to make the payment and tell the bank, "I didn't make that charge" the bank will charge back the PayPal account. Then of course, PayPal is going to try to recoup their money.

inswva

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
There are a myriad of ways to screw someone over, regardless of payment method used. I generally prefer *not* to use PayPal due to their draconian policy on vape items. It's just not worth risking having your PP account banned. If I'm going to take the risk (and any deal with a stranger is a risk) I prefer cashapp or zelle so my wife's PP account doesn't have the exposure.

PP G&S is as much of a risk for the seller as F&F is for the buyer. Also, G&S payments are subject to federal income tax. In summary, all payment services have their inherent problems but PP sucks on a whole different level.

J0BE

Member For 1 Year
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Chances are he paid friends and family with a bank or credit card and then disputed it with them who then yanked it from PayPal.

Sent from my fingers on the third moon of Saturn

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cmcarthy7128

I sold him 2 Double Barrels at a super price of 80.00 shipped for both in December.
I just got it charged back to my PayPal account because he disputed the charge with his bank!
c6b560e7497ec2363937bb8a7635ce6c.jpg

4d2f23c71f465e52bd5cb74420847c82.jpg

Keep the case open by documenting to Paypal your shipping method, and say you'll offer a refund if he returns the goods. It's better than just letting him win.

Scum.

Saying he didn't make the purchase isn't the same as saying he bought but didn't receive it, so you probably won't win, but at least give it a try.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I haven't done any buying or selling on VU, but I would hope there is a way to flag him, so it doesn't happen to anybody else.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Guess it's time to rethink F&F...
I've accepted only F&F for a long time thinking I was protected from a charge back. I'm with 5150sick, how the hell is it even a purchase?
Would other payment systems like cash app do this?

Hope McCarthy shows up with a bank error and makes it right. Probably just wishful thinking...

jslaughter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Gadget you have always been so above board in all your dealings here. I've sold and bought from you and this just feels so wrong to happen to someone who always tries to do the right thing. I hope it gets resolved and ends up being some kind of a mistake. If not really sorry for your loss with this transaction.

Maybe, just maybe because you provided proof of shipping paypal will side with you, although that looks kinda confusing since it was an F&F. Anyway i hope this works out in your favor somehow.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
This sucks man - but it's also one of the reasons I refuse to use PayPal ever again. They screwed me twice - once for $399 (similar situation to yours), and another time where they shut down one of my accounts for selling vape gear on eBay - THREE YEARS AFTER THE LAST SALE (and when it was still legal to sell vape gear on eBay at the time of the sales).

EDIT: The similar situation to yours that I mentioned was really messed up. I used to sell vacations on eBay back in 2005. A lady bought a stay in Las Vegas for $399. So I purchased the space for her. Then, about a week before she was supposed to stay there, she changed her mind and wanted her money back. I had a no refund policy, and also let her know that I couldn't cancel the purchase with my contact, and that there was nothing I could do. She contacted PayPal and disputed the charge - and I won the dispute. So then, this b!tch calls her credit card company and has the charges reversed. PayPal IMMEDIATELY took the funds from my account, and would offer ZERO help in disputing the chargeback with her credit card company.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So they're saying they aren't going to do anything but if the "financial institution" meaning the bank the payment was from, agrees with you then you get all your money back? So PP just washed their hands of it and charged you 15 for it?

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
311   0   0
So they're saying they aren't going to do anything but if the "financial institution" meaning the bank the payment was from, agrees with you then you get all your money back? So PP just washed their hands of it and charged you 15 for it?
That's what it looks like to me.
It's Bullshit!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
And yet that total fuckwad ain't got the balls to come here and say anything one way or the other, even to say he is in the right? Naw! I am certain nobody whom has seen this thread will do business with him from here on out, and I hope he gets banned.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Total crap says Captain Obvious.
If you haven't already contact a PayPal agent by chat or phone and tell them so.

They took care of me on a $68 dispute with a China vendor by giving me what they called an "offer". Same dollar amount to use anywhere that takes PayPal payment, was not cash I could transfer but worked for me and dispute closed.
I know it's not the same scenerio but it's worth a shot.

AvaOrchid

Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So besides losing 80.00 PayPal is charging me 15.00 for a dispute fee!

He's on Facebook too, I think I'll report it to Vape Court!

If I wasn't as jaded as I am I would honestly be shocked by the whole bank can claim money back from something that was on paper a gift via PayPal (edited) friends and family. I am shocked by PayPal charging you $15 for you being scammed. I don't understand how there can be a dispute fee tied to a friends and family dispute I don't understand how there can be a dispute at all.

It sounds like if somebody wanted to be a jerk and was mad at someone that they knew the PayPal information for They could send money to that person without that person even knowing that it was happening then go to their bank say I didn't make this purchase (when there is no purchase it's a donation) and not only get their money back but cost you an additional $15... That's a hell of a thing. So long as the person didn't dispute the sending of money in the first place. That's just crazy

Last edited:

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
311   0   0
@cmccarthy7128
If you are reading this you are a dirt bag!
I have reached out to you both here and on Facebook giving you every opportunity to rectify this and you haven't responded to anything.

You are a Business Consultant?
You should be ashamed of yourself! And for 80 bucks?

I'll be posting a case on Vape Court so that you don't burn someone else.
You're a real stand up guy!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Word to the wise: block the scammer by putting him on Ignore to prevent him from attempting more scams in the future. I have already done so, even though I hardly ever post anything for sale. I wouldn't take the risk of buying from the scumbag either.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Friend of mine (mostly just) collects guitars, pedals, tube amps, speakers, etc, etc... Had a set of rebuilt speakers in cabinets from the 70's that he sold on a FB group and the buyer paid through PayPal. Sale was for $2000.

Buyer claimed the speakers arrived damaged internally, but my friend had pictures and disputed the claim, showing that the speakers he sent were not what the buyer showed damage of. So the buyer replaced the good speakers with garbage, then said they arrived like that. My friend also showed conversation where the buyer denied shipping insurance on 3 occasions.

After $300 in fees and shipping, PayPal is trying to collect $1700 from him, even though he had tons of pics and clearly showed the buyer was scamming him.

3 appeals later, PayPal turned him in to a collection agency for $1700. He's in a position where nothing is in his name so he'll take that debt to his grave and use another payment vendor for future sales.

I learned years ago to calculate the price of shipping, insurance for more than the actual value, and fees into my sale price. PERIOD! I don't give the option, I make sure my ass is covered no matter what.

It's a shame that, even in a small tight knit forum like this, there are still plenty of scammers sneaking in..

Sad!!!!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Friend of mine (mostly just) collects guitars, pedals, tube amps, speakers, etc, etc... Had a set of rebuilt speakers in cabinets from the 70's that he sold on a FB group and the buyer paid through PayPal. Sale was for $2000.

Buyer claimed the speakers arrived damaged internally, but my friend had pictures and disputed the claim, showing that the speakers he sent were not what the buyer showed damage of. So the buyer replaced the good speakers with garbage, then said they arrived like that. My friend also showed conversation where the buyer denied shipping insurance on 3 occasions.

After $300 in fees and shipping, PayPal is trying to collect $1700 from him, even though he had tons of pics and clearly showed the buyer was scamming him.

3 appeals later, PayPal turned him in to a collection agency for $1700. He's in a position where nothing is in his name so he'll take that debt to his grave and use another payment vendor for future sales.

I learned years ago to calculate the price of shipping, insurance for more than the actual value, and fees into my sale price. PERIOD! I don't give the option, I make sure my ass is covered no matter what.

It's a shame that, even in a small tight knit forum like this, there are still plenty of scammers sneaking in..

Sad!!!!

When McCarthy first showed up here on VU, he said he worked in a residential drug-treatment facility and was looking for inexpensive vape gear to buy for the guys in the facility.

Obviously going from that to the way he's presented on that Facebook page is hinky. Also obviously we don't know if anything he's ever said was the truth.

He's never been super-active, but he has been around from time to time for a good while. That's what makes this particular situation so concerning, imo.

Anyway, we sure know who he is now - not in the traditional sense, but in other ways that matter. I wouldn't give him the time of day.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Recall that as well. After seeing this incident, bound to be more careful online.
I think it was more of the scammer was trying to run such a facility, and rip off the residents while trying to collect funds from various sources to help run it, collect donations, and make himself somewhat richer.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think it was more of the scammer was trying to run such a facility, and rip off the residents while trying to collect funds from various sources to help run it, collect donations, and make himself somewhat richer.

That isn't any better to think. People often wonder about why I prefer being a doer. Hope this illustrates what I mean, saying "thinking hurts too much".

May only control my response toward such malicious people. Dislike realizing evil often is done beyond our control. It lends to a deepening humbleness.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
That isn't any better to think. People often wonder about why I prefer being a doer. Hope this illustrates what I mean, saying "thinking hurts too much".

May only control my response toward such malicious people. Dislike realizing evil often is done beyond our control. It lends to a deepening humbleness.

I hope I can say this without sounding preachy and cynical.

If you don't think about it at least to the point that you can recognize that that characteristic can exist in people, then you are totally at their mercy. They can hurt you far worse if you don't at least allow for the possibility that everything may not be what it seems.

There is someone in my life who unfortunately taught me that. I did not realize the level of my own naivete until I got to know this person. It feels horrible to have to learn those things. I so agree.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I hope I can say this without sounding preachy and cynical.

If you don't think about it at least to the point that you can recognize that that characteristic can exist in people, then you are totally at their mercy. They can hurt you far worse if you don't at least allow for the possibility that everything may not be what it seems.

There is someone in my life who unfortunately taught me that. I did not realize the level of my own naivete until I got to know this person. It feels horrible to have to learn those things. I so agree.

At Christmas of 1975, I first learned such a lesson. I was four. He was a man I thought was a new dad.

*nods, sighs, mutters something about snow,.wanders on*

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
When McCarthy first showed up here on VU, he said he worked in a residential drug-treatment facility and was looking for inexpensive vape gear to buy for the guys in the facility.
I can't recall all the details now, but does anybody remember that clown that showed up here a few years ago saying that he was trying to get vape gear for vets I think it was?

I have no tolerance for these people. Especially on a place like this where there is a high level of trust because people are used to trading and buying and selling without folks jacking each other up.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Unfortunately, there is now a thriving black market on vape gear due to regulations. That means scammers will take full advantage of the situation by ripping off anyone they can.

As long as VU has a reputation system in place, take advantage of it before even considering doing business with someone. cmccarthy7128 has been here a long time, and was trusted based on that alone. Many others come here, make accounts, and start scamming on the first day.

It's better to pay a bit more to get something from someone with a good reputation, than to get a good deal on nothing from a thief. It is also better to wait for a buyer that can be trusted than to sell to one that will keep the product and your money as well.

I have been accused of being street smart, wise to the ways of the world, and all that. I call it The University of Hard Knocks.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I call it The University of Hard Knocks.

Attended the same University. It is difficult after such an education, but one has to watch not becoming so cynical they develop a weathered callous shell. There is a principle called polarity.

Polarity exists like Change and Entropy as the very few eternal constants. What polarity ensures is that for every negative, there is a positive and the inverse. Life, despite our high notions of Equality, Justice, does find its own Balance.

This balance is the Middle Path / Way, so many religious, spiritual attempt to teach or convey. The disguise in the flower Buddha held up is our arrogance in thinking all is as we think it. Joshu saw this and said nothing in response because people do not care to admit it.

I know that great University has of late been teaching me more hard learned lessons. How arrogant I have been in caring and loving my wife to think such alone is enough to sustain. At the same time, part of it has not been arrogance so much as shortfalls beyond my control.

No, that is not an excuse or justification. It simply is what it is, I was born as I was and there is little to nothing which can medically alter that. The reprieve and solace I am allowed is choosing to control my response toward life.

I have been far too callous, too lost in the negative to hold True in the Middle Path. Lumps taken, I have learned to look, hear more closely, to not think too much but to think. I have also learned my own philosophy comes back to bite, if one seeks help, they first help themselves.

@Lady Sarah, I am not addressing this specifically to you. Yes, it is you whom I speak with in relaying it. You though may be @Jimi, @SteveS45, @Train, anyone. I hope the lessons I'm learning can benefit others, even but in some small way.

Apologies too, this is not intended to paint me still arrogant. In reading it, I see how it may seem to do that. No, I'm simply trying to be helpful, not to climb up on some dais and teach as an expert or wizened mystic, or what have you.

I am just not even a dust spec, fumbling along like all other such. It is said the blind lead the blind, and that is probably the case here too. Well, ...

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Attended the same University. It is difficult after such an education, but one has to watch not becoming so cynical they develop a weathered callous shell. There is a principle called polarity.

Polarity exists like Change and Entropy as the very few eternal constants. What polarity ensures is that for every negative, there is a positive and the inverse. Life, despite our high notions of Equality, Justice, does find its own Balance.

This balance is the Middle Path / Way, so many religious, spiritual attempt to teach or convey. The disguise in the flower Buddha held up is our arrogance in thinking all is as we think it. Joshu saw this and said nothing in response because people do not care to admit it.

I know that great University has of late been teaching me more hard learned lessons. How arrogant I have been in caring and loving my wife to think such alone is enough to sustain. At the same time, part of it has not been arrogance so much as shortfalls beyond my control.

No, that is not an excuse or justification. It simply is what it is, I was born as I was and there is little to nothing which can medically alter that. The reprieve and solace I am allowed is choosing to control my response toward life.

I have been far too callous, too lost in the negative to hold True in the Middle Path. Lumps taken, I have learned to look, hear more closely, to not think too much but to think. I have also learned my own philosophy comes back to bite, if one seeks help, they first help themselves.

@Lady Sarah, I am not addressing this specifically to you. Yes, it is you whom I speak with in relaying it. You though may be @Jimi, @SteveS45, @Train, anyone. I hope the lessons I'm learning can benefit others, even but in some small way.

Apologies too, this is not intended to paint me still arrogant. In reading it, I see how it may seem to do that. No, I'm simply trying to be helpful, not to climb up on some dais and teach as an expert or wizened mystic, or what have you.

I am just not even a dust spec, fumbling along like all other such. It is said the blind lead the blind, and that is probably the case here too. Well, ...
Very well, but consider the philosophies. One cannot truly be happy if one simply plays the fool. Know thine enemy, and the scammers are the enemy here. Well, them and the ANTZ... but the ANTZ usually prove to be stupid enough to be driven off with a little ridicule. The scammers exist because a sucker is born every minute, so there is no shortage of idiots to rip off. Forewarned is forearmed. Most folk here know all this. At this point, I'm hoping the more feeble minded read this, wake up, and smell the bacon.

crazydmnd

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Considering Paypal is now run entirely by woke mind virus ideologues who "see" oppression, hatespeech, racist fascists under every rock, nook, and cranny, remind them they need to up their ESG score by reversing all charges against you because you no longer Identify as a horrid white male, but rather you are transitioning to a non-binary cartoon and that guy has brought a million micro-aggressive and violent attacks at you through all this as he is also a blatant anti-cartoon bigot. You will get your money and his in short order.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Considering Paypal is now run entirely by woke mind virus ideologues who "see" oppression, hatespeech, racist fascists under every rock, nook, and cranny, remind them they need to up their ESG score by reversing all charges against you because you no longer Identify as a horrid white male, but rather you are transitioning to a non-binary cartoon and that guy has brought a million micro-aggressive and violent attacks at you through all this as he is also a blatant anti-cartoon bigot. You will get your money and his in short order.
"I am a meat popsicle. He reversed the charges in retaliation for my refusing to allow him to eat me."

See how that goes.

VU Sponsors