“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So I’ve never had a Battenburg cake.....I looked it up and checked out the ingredients and went for it. Anything with marzipan can’t be bad, IMO. It took a month to finally smooth out and for all the ingredients to finally come out. Nice spongy cake with a marzipan/almond background and a sweet apricot finish. Hope y’all enjoy it! Let me know if it’s close....I’m very curious!

FA Almond 1%
FA Apricot 1.5%
FA Marzipan 1.5%
WF Princess Cake 4%
Cap Sugar Cookie 1.5%
TFA Vanilla Custard 1%

One month steep.....sorry!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So I’ve never had a Battenburg cake.....I looked it up and checked out the ingredients and went for it. Anything with marzipan can’t be bad, IMO. It took a month to finally smooth out and for all the ingredients to finally come out. Nice spongy cake with a marzipan/almond background and a sweet apricot finish. Hope y’all enjoy it! Let me know if it’s close....I’m very curious!

FA Almond 1%
FA Apricot 1.5%
FA Marzipan 1.5%
WF Princess Cake 4%
Cap Sugar Cookie 1.5%
TFA Vanilla Custard 1%

Looks interesting, except I don't have the WF Princess cake of course. I may try it subbing FLV Pound Cake. Do you really need the Almond with the Marzipan? The Marzipan has almond notes to it. I suppose I should look up a Battenburg cake and see what it has.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Looks interesting, except I don't have the WF Princess cake of course. I may try it subbing FLV Pound Cake. Do you really need the Almond with the Marzipan? The Marzipan has almond notes to it. I suppose I should look up a Battenburg cake and see what it has.
FLV pound cake was my next iteration....let me know how it goes!

I wanted to make sure the almond was tasted....so I added the almond, plus for its slightly buttery notes. The princess cake also has almond notes to it.....but with all that, the almond is not overpowering at all. It’s definitely there, but not overwhelming.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So I googled Battenburg cake and the extra almond should be there. I'll try mixing this next weekend with the FLV Pound Cake and let you know after it steeps a bit. Thanks for the recipe!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So I googled Battenburg cake and the extra almond should be there. I'll try mixing this next weekend with the FLV Pound Cake and let you know after it steeps a bit. Thanks for the recipe!
Nice! Thanks for trying it!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mixed, I used 1% FLV Pound Cake and I didn't have TFA VC so I used FLV VC instead @ 0.4%. Now the wait begins... I'll probably try it next weekend as I took out the likely long steep offenders.

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome! I don't have apricot, I might sub with?? But I will get apricot.
I have found that princess cake really does need a long steep, but well worth the wait. I was thinking of using it for my next carrot cake attempt.
I like the sounds of this recipe chicky babe!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Awesome! I don't have apricot, I might sub with?? But I will get apricot.
I have found that princess cake really does need a long steep, but well worth the wait. I was thinking of using it for my next carrot cake attempt.
I like the sounds of this recipe chicky babe!
I have seen recipes with raspberry jam used. It’s not supposed to be an overwhelming aspect....the jam just holds the cake together. So thin layers to hold the squares together until it’s wrapped in the marzipan, like a princess cake.

And thanks! It’s def a keeper!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mixed, I used 1% FLV Pound Cake and I didn't have TFA VC so I used FLV VC instead @ 0.4%. Now the wait begins... I'll probably try it next weekend as I took out the likely long steep offenders.
Ooooo, I hope the subs work for you! Definitely let me know! I’m curious!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Wonder how Peach would be as a sub for the Apricot...seems like sort of a similar profile...

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Wonder how Peach would be as a sub for the Apricot...seems like sort of a similar profile...
That could work, I think. Peach can be overwhelming so go easy. FA Apricot is a pretty chill flavor....I probably could’ve gone higher with it.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@wildgypsy70

Tested this after a week with my subs. The almond and marzipan are showing through with the cake. I'm not getting a lot of apricot, but reading recipes on the actual cake the apricot jam is more there to bind the checkerboard cake than to flavor it. Still, I would like to taste it a bit more. I just added 0.2% of FLV Apricot and will wait and try again.

This does have promise to be a good one!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@wildgypsy70

Tested this after a week with my subs. The almond and marzipan are showing through with the cake. I'm not getting a lot of apricot, but reading recipes on the actual cake the apricot jam is more there to bind the checkerboard cake than to flavor it. Still, I would like to taste it a bit more. I just added 0.2% of FLV Apricot and will wait and try again.

This does have promise to be a good one!
Excellent! Yeah, the jam is only there as “glue”. I have, in a few recipes, noticed raspberry jam used. I didn’t want the jam to take over, so I opted with the apricot. Let me know how the FLV works out. Maybe if it’s strong enough, the FA can be left out. Experimenting time, I think! Thanks, @gopher_byrd !

sampleit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Battenburg is a UK thing I’ve had it since a kid. It’s pretty heavy on the marzipan and very sweet, yes the apricot is more of a glue
My version is like this:
FA marzipan 1%
INW marzipan 0.5% (pretty strong flavour)
FLV apricot 1%
FLV cream 1%
JF yellow cake 4%
FA candy wizard 0.3%
I would def add a sweetener of your choice to this for a more authentic sweet cake

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Battenburg is a UK thing I’ve had it since a kid. It’s pretty heavy on the marzipan and very sweet, yes the apricot is more of a glue
My version is like this:
FA marzipan 1%
INW marzipan 0.5% (pretty strong flavour)
FLV apricot 1%
FLV cream 1%
JF yellow cake 4%
FA candy wizard 0.3%
I would def add a sweetener of your choice to this for a more authentic sweet cake
Nice! I’ve never had the cake.....just sounded magnificent.

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

FA Almond 1%
FA Apricot 1.5%
FA Marzipan 1.5%
WF Princess Cake 4%
Cap Sugar Cookie 1.5%
TFA Vanilla Custard 1%

Can you speed this up with heat? I do like 8 hrs in hot water inside a big stanley thermos I have. The water doesn't lose temperature for at least 12-14 hrs so it works amazingly and i've noticed it cuts my steep times down to about 5-7 days for custards, 3 days for ice cream, 3-5 for bakeries.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Can you speed this up with heat? I do like 8 hrs in hot water inside a big stanley thermos I have. The water doesn't lose temperature for at least 12-14 hrs so it works amazingly and i've noticed it cuts my steep times down to about 5-7 days for custards, 3 days for ice cream, 3-5 for bakeries.
I don’t know. I use time as my steeper. I have so many little bottles on my desk that it’s easy to mix something and forget about it. I’d try both ways, just to see what works better. Give it a shot! Let us know how it comes out!

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don’t know. I use time as my steeper. I have so many little bottles on my desk that it’s easy to mix something and forget about it. I’d try both ways, just to see what works better. Give it a shot! Let us know how it comes out!
I need to grab 2 of those flavors for my arsenal, but it sounds right up my alley. I will try it out. I mostly use time now to steep as well, my "steep box" has gotten so full that I need to find a new steep box lol. I have made so many 10ml and I'm finding ones that I gave an initial taste test and was not keen on, but now like 3 weeks later they are incredible. Milk and Honey by FLV develops into something incredible.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Bringing this back up, I just loaded my latest try on this and I'm digging it! All credit to @wildgypsy70 with just a few mods of mine. I didn't have the Princess Cake, or the TFA VC so I subbed with FLV Pound Cake and FLV VC. I wanted a little more Apricot so I added in some FLV Apricot as well.

FA Almond 1%
FA Apricot 1.5%
FLV Apricot 0.4%
FA Marzipan 1.5%
FLV Pound Cake 1%
CAP Sugar Cookie 1.5%
FLV Vanilla Custard 0.4%

Last edited:

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Bringing this back up, I just loaded my latest try on this and I'm digging it! All credit to @wildgypsy70 with just a few mods of mine. I didn't have the Princess Cake, or the TFA VC so I subbed with FLV Pound Cake and FLV VC. I wanted a little more Apricot so I added in some FLV Apricot as well.

FA Almond 1%
FA Apricot 1.5%
FLV Apricot 0.4%
FA Marzipan 1.5%
FLV Pound Cake 1%
CAP Sugar Cookie 1.5%
FLV Vanilla Custard 0.4%
Yay! This looks really good! I might try it this way.

VU Sponsors