Become a Patron!

Yet another A vs. B thread - SOI Shorty or Broadside setups

nathanstokes

Member For 4 Years
Hi guys.

So after a substantial amount of time of reading mooch posts on ECF and facebook, watching his new videos, watching beginner videos on mech mod safety from the Vaping Bogan, Vaping Biker, etc., I'd like to dip my toes into the mech mod world. My choices have come down to 2 (well 3 actually) options and they're very similar. My focus has been on safety primarily, followed by performance and aesthetics. So the three I'm looking at are:

A) the SOI Shorty (24mm, not X) and Competition RDA
B) the Broadside/Admiral and Culverin RDA
(looking to pick up either second hand, blems included)

and C) the Kennedy Vindicator 21700

I'll get my explanation of the Kennedy out of the way first, as it should be brief. The Kennedy comes last as it's hybrid only and I'd have to buy new (Custom Vapes has the SS in stock atm, and the black cerakoted copper on it's way). Although being hybrid only, in terms of early use confidence, it does get safety points back by being able to run the 35A Samsung 30T. If mechs aren't for me, then I'd probably be able to re-sell pretty easily, but would obviously take quite a loss.

The Shorty and Broadside setups appeal a bit more as they can both be run with their floating 510s to start (just to keep my confidence up starting out) and then as setups with the rdas later can be used in hybrid. The Broadside/Admiral gets extra points with the delrin liner (or the 18650 battery adapter in the Admiral's case). Again, I know this is no substitute for user safety and being fastidious in checking battery wraps, but it aids in keeping my early confidence up. Both mechs get good reviews in terms of performance and have a clutch switch, so I'm not worried about that, and further, I like the super clean aesthetics of the pairs (I'm not going to pretend this isn't a factor, even if it comes last).

I think what it's going to come down to is rda performance. The SOI comp rda sounds like it would be really airy, but I'm not going to assume that this is a negative, as my CSMNT is incredibly airy but has wonderful flavour with the right setup. From watching Ambitionz Vaper and Grimm Green's reviews, the airflow sounds a little more restricted (not a bad thing, just different) but they noted that the Culverin had really good flavour too.

So what I'm looking for is some help from people who have used either (or maybe even both) setups and their thoughts, especially about the rdas.

Thanks in advance, and have a great weekend.

p.s. I've posted this across a few different forums to get as broad a set of opinions as possible, so if Vaping Underground isn't your only forum to contribute to, apologies for seeing multiple times.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It's quite good - there's a reason why I have 4 of them... But honestly, I have to say the 2 post Kennedy is better. But you had asked me about the Broadsides, so that was my answer.

nathanstokes

Member For 4 Years
It's quite good - there's a reason why I have 4 of them... But honestly, I have to say the 2 post Kennedy is better. But you had asked me about the Broadsides, so that was my answer.

That's quite the endorsement! I'll add that to the broadside scoreboard. Vaped a Kennedy 25mm for the first time the other week, and liked it a looooot, but if I ended up going down the Vindicator 21700 new route, that definitely wouldn't leave sufficient spare funds for the atty. But maybe in the future...

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's quite the endorsement! I'll add that to the broadside scoreboard. Vaped a Kennedy 25mm for the first time the other week, and liked it a looooot, but if I ended up going down the Vindicator 21700 new route, that definitely wouldn't leave sufficient spare funds for the atty. But maybe in the future...
Here's another option to maybe want to consider. Instead of getting the Vindicator, just go for the Thunderhead Creations Tauren (the design flaw in the button on it has now been fixed by the manufacturer of the mod), or, if you can find it, a used Vaperz Cloud Sarov, as these are 21700 tube mechs so they also can support the Samsung 30T battery. The Tauren is tapered to 24mm at the top so the 2-post Kennedy 24 RDA will sit flush on it, whereas the Sarov is tapered to 25mm at the top so it will look its best with the 2-post Kennedy 25 RDA. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the fact these mods are the faux hybrid type of 510 connection. Figuring out what can or can't cause a hard short in a faux hybrid connection neither is hard nor is time consuming, but still a lot of fear mongering goes on about faux hybrids. That said, I know that ohms are always a discussion point with regards to safety, and, if you're new to vaping on the mech I can understand why they tell you to stay at or below the CDR of your chosen battery. But the reality is hardly anyone wants to vape as high as a .17 on a single battery mech. At .17 ohms in the Kennedy 24 or 25 RDA, that's a dual coil RDA with fixed airflow and a fairly large chamber size in cohort with not that much restrictiveness, typically you'll get what I call a weak vape that just makes me feel as if I should have changed out my battery like maybe half an hour ago or so. All I'm saying is, with the Samsung 30T you won't be facing that problem, as it hits harder than any other cell available to us, and that'll work fine both in terms of safety guidelines for those who are still new to vaping on the mech and in terms of NOT getting (IMO) shitty performance at .12 ohms dual coil using Nichrome 80 to build your own advanced coil builds (optional, I know... but IMO anyway, a strong quality advanced coil build is compulsory, end discussion).

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The 21700 Vindicator with a Kennedy Copper post RDA using Samsung 30T's is a a kick ass combination. Bang for the buck IMO you can't beat it, I'm in love with mine. I've got a respectable stable of high end Authentic gear and this combo is up there in the top with the best.

Also the SOI's Shorty's are great also but IMO the Vindicator is best.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The 21700 Vindicator with a Kennedy Copper post RDA using Samsung 30T's is a a kick ass combination. Bang for the buck IMO you can't beat it, I'm in love with mine. I've got a respectable stable of high end Authentic gear and this combo is up there in the top with the best.

We've been touting the Vindicator since its release. Absolutely the best bang for your buck. Quality mod that ranks with 300-400 dollar mods and costs a third.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Of course the second hand market has a lot of deals too. I picked up an SS 2nd edition fknsndrl with a kryten RDA for only 110 dollars. VTC6s at .1 ohm - it rocks hard. Don't think that VTCs are not good anymore. Sure the 30T is nice but I like my old friends. And the rda is tricked out with grey snakeskin tip and frosted AFC behind silver. All for 110 with a new battery.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Of course the second hand market has a lot of deals too. I picked up an SS 2nd edition fknsndrl with a kryten RDA for only 110 dollars. VTC6s at .1 ohm - it rocks hard. Don't think that VTCs are not good anymore. Sure the 30T is nice but I like my old friends. And the rda is tricked out with grey snakeskin tip and frosted AFC behind silver. All for 110 with a new battery.
Nothing's wrong with the VTC6, it's just the fact that, even if you're at .11 ohms instead of at .1 ohm, it still heats up waa-aaaa-aaaaaaay too fast to be practical when compared to the VTC5A, while, in addition to this, the mAh advantage of the VTC6 fades into the distant landscape under these kinds of high current loads. But my preferred battery right now is the Samsung 20S because, at .11 ohms on a single battery mech, it simply outperforms any and all other 18650 batteries available to us right now, and does so not only in terms of how hard it hits, but also BOTH in terms of how slow it heats itself up AND in terms of the vaping time I get from it. In the graphic illustration below, I marked the areas where the higher mAh of the VTC5A causes the VTC5A to catch up with the 20S. As you can see, at 30 amps continuous discharge current, it doesn't catch up until after the voltage that you're getting from it has already gone down lower than 3.1 volts, i.e. it never actually catches up because by the time it finally does catch up the race is over.

Samsung 20S vs VTC5A.jpg

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
E43048CA-5C33-4410-AD67-DFA157D083E4.jpeg Allow me to convolute the discussion with a rabid recommendation for the Overpowered mod. Many of the same features as the broadside, 21700 capable, and with a Centurion RDA, a right formidable tube. Very clean appearance. One of my best performing stacks. And I got alotta stacks.

nathanstokes

Member For 4 Years
Here's another option to maybe want to consider. Instead of getting the Vindicator, just go for the Thunderhead Creations Tauren (the design flaw in the button on it has now been fixed by the manufacturer of the mod), or, if you can find it, a used Vaperz Cloud Sarov, as these are 21700 tube mechs so they also can support the Samsung 30T battery. The Tauren is tapered to 24mm at the top so the 2-post Kennedy 24 RDA will sit flush on it, whereas the Sarov is tapered to 25mm at the top so it will look its best with the 2-post Kennedy 25 RDA. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the fact these mods are the faux hybrid type of 510 connection. Figuring out what can or can't cause a hard short in a faux hybrid connection neither is hard nor is time consuming, but still a lot of fear mongering goes on about faux hybrids. That said, I know that ohms are always a discussion point with regards to safety, and, if you're new to vaping on the mech I can understand why they tell you to stay at or below the CDR of your chosen battery. But the reality is hardly anyone wants to vape as high as a .17 on a single battery mech. At .17 ohms in the Kennedy 24 or 25 RDA, that's a dual coil RDA with fixed airflow and a fairly large chamber size in cohort with not that much restrictiveness, typically you'll get what I call a weak vape that just makes me feel as if I should have changed out my battery like maybe half an hour ago or so. All I'm saying is, with the Samsung 30T you won't be facing that problem, as it hits harder than any other cell available to us, and that'll work fine both in terms of safety guidelines for those who are still new to vaping on the mech and in terms of NOT getting (IMO) shitty performance at .12 ohms dual coil using Nichrome 80 to build your own advanced coil builds (optional, I know... but IMO anyway, a strong quality advanced coil build is compulsory, end discussion).

Thaks for your super-detailed reply. I did look at the Tauren, as the reviews I found on forums made it clear that it's an incredible performer and at a remarkably good price. Thing is, I really can't stand the engravings so I decided to disregard it. It's a shame, but the aesthetics do factor in enjoyment, so nevermind. I really liked the look of the Sarov, in fact, it's what I was originally scouting around to pick up, but just couldn't find it anywhere. If I come across a black coated copper one in the future used, and I've got the cash, I'm going to jump on it.

Also decided that I was making too big a deal about hybrid connections, and that most of the churning in my head was based on the the comp RDA and the Culverin, rather than the actual mods and that I'm happy with my current attys for the moment, so ended up going for the Kennedy . Decided that the Samsung 30Ts would provide a great mix of safety and performance, and just wanted to stop overthinking and get on with enjoying the mod, which I thoroughly do. That said, it was filthy when I picked it up. Outsides were all spick and span, but the insides and threads were disgusting. Not what I expected given Kennedy's reputation, but then again, a quick clean and everything was right as rain, so I can't really complain.

nathanstokes

Member For 4 Years

That's what I ended up grabbing (mod only, maybe the atty in the future), and I'm incredibly happy with it. Only thing I'm vaping when at home, and with my 3 coil CSMNT build at 0.12 (3x28/38 coils), the thing just sings. Think I'll keep my eyes peeled for the other mods mentioned in the post for the future (I can now see why people get so into mechs and collecting).

nathanstokes

Member For 4 Years
View attachment 121982 Allow me to convolute the discussion with a rabid recommendation for the Overpowered mod. Many of the same features as the broadside, 21700 capable, and with a Centurion RDA, a right formidable tube. Very clean appearance. One of my best performing stacks. And I got alotta stacks.

They do look great (saw that mod while watching waaaaaaay too many reviews), but think series mechs are a little above my comfort level right now!!

nathanstokes

Member For 4 Years

As I said before, really, incredibly happy with the Vindicator, buuuut as I'm having to do a bunch of extra shifts over the next few weeks at work (one guy out with a broken hand, another with a herniated disk) I'm really tempted to grab the shorty as well (spoken to a guy on reddit who has one with the rda in copper, who I think bought his from a guy who also posts here, so you've probably seen the exact same mech - that reminds me; must message that guy). I'm really, really enjoying using the mech mod. Can't explain why, but just prefer it to my regulated box. Get no loss of wattage for where I set my regulated, but yet it just seems smoother, less fizzy, if that makes sense. Have you had the experience of vaping the Vindicator and then picked up the shorty or any of your 18650 mods, and just felt a bit... "meh" about it?

VU Sponsors