Become a Patron!

Wonky flavour from my Orieco storm-A rda ****SORTED****

dreadacidic_mel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
my first rda ever, I've got a nichrome dual coil build at 0.45 ohms, tried wicking with both ekowool and Japanese organic cotton and I cant seem to get rid of this funky flavour. I thought it might have been from either the ekowool or the cotton, but it still tastes weird. Then I thought it might be from machine oil, so I gave it a good soak and clean in alcohol. But it still tastes odd.
Problem is, I cant quite figure out what it actually tastes like. I just know that there's a relatively distinct flavour that is not coming from my juice. The flavour difference between my nautilus and the rda is significant, and I dont know what to dooooo.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I just need to bite the bullet and get a better quality rda.

dreadacidic_mel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's definitely clean and electrically sound. I'm generally paranoid of things blowing up in my face, so I always err on the side of extreme caution lol. Coincidentally, that also applies to the temps/wattage I'll start at when using an atty for the first time (i.e. VURRRRY low). The wonky flavour was there with a 8-10 watt range.
If I juice up enough, the rank taste will be overloaded, but then, all the spitting. Blagh. Mouthfuls of burning hot e juice isn't my definition of fun times.

(noob allert: .......what does an insulator look like? I would check mine, but I wouldn't know what I was looking at/for *gulp*)

dreadacidic_mel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Precisely why I went for this one - I am a shameless flavor chaser and all the reviews I found were not cheap on praise for this one. I hope someone will come and clarify all the things.

dreadacidic_mel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mmhm. I expect at least one drink first. Preferably also dinner. Or just a trip to the juice shop. A juiced Mel is a happy Mel is a "I'll show you my build if you show me yours" Mel (so many innuendos)

ChefJd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could be wicking?? My first dripper was a tobh atty clone, only used tanks before that (lemo, subtank, etc) thought my skills were on point, I was wrong... Everything tasted awful... Had to dump juice in it to get it to even taste remotely good. Soon came to realize I was wicking very poorly. For some of us it takes many tries to get the wicking right. Are you using vertical or horizontal coils? I haven't used a storm yet but looks like it's built more for vertical coils.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

dreadacidic_mel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using verticals, and you might be spot on - I talked with the guy at the local store and he mentioned that when he first started building, unless his hands were pristinely clean he'd get a wonky flavor from wicking.
Usually my hands are clean, but I have a minion in the house so I might just wear gloves from now on and see how it works out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dreadacidic_mel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Source of wonky flavor discovered! It originated from *shudder* naturally occurring oils. Aka skin grub. Using gloves from now on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors