Become a Patron!

Wire talk!

wert

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So can someone please in simple terms explain how wire thickness affects the resistance of a setup?

Like is it as simple as a thicker wire will have a lower resistance and thinner higher resistance?

Thanks

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In general yes, you're correct but obviously there are other factors.
I can build a .2 ohm coil with 22g or with 24g due to number of wraps and coil I.D.

Also keep in mind thicker wire will have a higher ramp up time but may be easier to deal with as it's more sturdy. Won't move around while fiddling with the coil or wicking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So can someone please in simple terms explain how wire thickness affects the resistance of a setup?

Like is it as simple as a thicker wire will have a lower resistance and thinner higher resistance?

Thanks

Simple analogy most everyone understands

Thinner 32awg wire = Single Drive Lane each direction on a residential road with lots of houses - can't move much traffic, more cars on this road equals a bottle neck and traffic jam = high resistance

Thicker 24awg wire = 6 lanes in each direction super highway = can move massive amounts of cars at one, less bottle necks and traffic jams = lower resistance

electrons which are the cars in this analogy which is what we are moving.

VU Sponsors