Become a Patron!

Wire question.

Enpsyclopedia

Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have been using nichrome for almost three years now. My local vape shop has some titanium wire that I am thinking about trying out. If I started making titanium coils, what would be the noticable differences compared to my nichrome? And if there are any perks to using titanium, what are they?

Thanks

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Personally I think Titanium coils are one of the dumbest ideas ever. Ok it is probably unlikely you will heat your coils to the point you start producing lots of Titanium Dioxide (let alone ignite them) but you get your coils nice and hot and you might produce a little of it. In very small doses it is still not good at all.

I certainly wouldn't be comfortable glowing titanium coils checking for heat spots. You would definitely be producing enough heat when you do that.

Id be interested to know if anyone who has used titanium coils has ever noticed any amount of whitish residue on spent ones.

Enpsyclopedia

Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Personally I think Titanium coils are one of the dumbest ideas ever. Ok it is probably unlikely you will heat your coils to the point you start producing lots of Titanium Dioxide (let alone ignite them) but you get your coils nice and hot and you might produce a little of it. In very small doses it is still not good at all.

I certainly wouldn't be comfortable glowing titanium coils checking for heat spots. You would definitely be producing enough heat when you do that.

Id be interested to know if anyone who has used titanium coils has ever noticed any amount of whitish residue on spent ones.
I never thought about it that way, but then again I have always heard to stay away from nicrome coils for related reason. However they dont seem to affect me any different than kanthal. What about stainless steel though? I saw those for sale too.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Titanium coils are not dumb. They are just different and for some they have their application such as the TC crowd. If you are a TC user and are interested in trying Ti, then do so. I am not aware of any application they make sense beyond TC.

If you ask 10 different people what kind of wire they like you may get 10 different answers. I prefer NI80 for mechs and use Kanthal when vaping regulated. Sometimes might use a combination of materials when seeking a specific effect. I personally almost never use SS unless its a fancy coil and that's how it came to me.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I never thought about it that way, but then again I have always heard to stay away from nicrome coils for related reason. However they dont seem to affect me any different than kanthal. What about stainless steel though? I saw those for sale too.

You aren't going to see massive immediate effects on vaping. Its the cumulative effect over time that is the concern. It has been linked to cancer.
Traces are found in a lot of things - particularly kids sweets! Its also in a lot of makeup. It gets into the water supply.

There have been quite a few studies done on TiO and they don't make for pleasant reading.
http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/69/22/8784.short

Personally if I were self building coils for a TC setup I would keep away from Ti and Ni and opt for stainless steel.

Enpsyclopedia

Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You aren't going to see massive immediate effects on vaping. Its the cumulative effect over time that is the concern. It has been linked to cancer.
Traces are found in a lot of things - particularly kids sweets! Its also in a lot of makeup. It gets into the water supply.

There have been quite a few studies done on TiO and they don't make for pleasant reading.

Personally if I were self building coils for a TC setup I would keep away from Ti and Ni and opt for stainless steel.

Enpsyclopedia

Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Causes of cancer: ground beef, ranch dressing, lactose, artificial sweeteners, all sandwich meat, all soft drinks, and pretty much anything else FDA approved #welcometoamerica.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

Vehicle exhaust, the water supply, the food chain are all actively killing people in large numbers every year. Pesticides, toothpaste, shampoo and household cleaners are causing cancer, people are dying from using baby powder. People dumping their medications into the drain are changing the mating habits of fish such as salmon (becoming abstinent) and turning frogs gay, who knows what its doing to us. We are living in the RF equivalent of a microwave with WiFi devices and such. Everything is killing us.

Vape coils are the least of our problems.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Causes of cancer: ground beef, ranch dressing, lactose, artificial sweeteners, all sandwich meat, all soft drinks, and pretty much anything else FDA approved #welcometoamerica.
To be fair breathing air is a risk but not breathing it would give you a bigger problem. You don't have to vape. Ultimately if you don't like the idea of using Ni for the health concerns it doesn't make a lot of sense to use Ti coils either.

Enpsyclopedia

Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Vehicle exhaust, the water supply, the food chain are all actively killing people in large numbers every year. Pesticides, toothpaste, shampoo and household cleaners are causing cancer, people are dying from using baby powder. People dumping their medications into the drain are changing the mating habits of fish such as salmon (becoming abstinent) and turning frogs gay, who knows what its doing to us. We are living in the RF equivalent of a microwave with WiFi devices and such. Everything is killing us.

Vape coils are the least of our problems.
I like this person.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
What are you even doing on this forum dude? You have seemed very anti vape from the tip, and are now trash talking. Go somewhere else.

I'm not 'trash talking'. His avatar is from a picture that links to someone who goes by the name "arewehavingsexwithyourmumyet" elsewhere. I wondered if he/she is the same person.

I'm not anti vape in the slightest, I think its a brilliant smoking cessation tool. Why would you say that?

Enpsyclopedia

Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not 'trash talking'. His avatar is from a picture that links to someone who goes by the name "arewehavingsexwithyourmumyet" elsewhere. I wondered if he/she is the same person.

I'm not anti vape in the slightest, I think its a brilliant smoking cessation tool. Why would you say that?
Sorry it was just the vibe I was getting. Most people are proud of talking about vape, but you seemed to only talk about harm and cancer. No hard feelings.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

Im going to roll back my Fuck You on this one because it was innocent. Dude, you should have included a bit more information than what you did because context is everything and all I seen in your post was a stranger on the internet asking a vile and childish question.

I do not know of the person you speak of and the avatar is a reference to a TOOL song.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Sorry it was just the vibe I was getting. Most people are proud of talking about vape, but you seemed to only talk about harm and cancer. No hard feelings.

No hard feelings at all. I was just surprised you got that impression.

For me on the coil front I personally think SS carries the lowest risk, and is the better material to use given the real choices are between Ni Ti and SS. Having said that I would completely agree that the risks involved in vaping with any of them are minuscule in comparison with smoking a cigarette so any are a better choice than that.

Personally I'm not convinced with concerns around ceramic and i'd really like so see how very well manufactured ceramic coated coils would perform as part of a TC setup.

I think the holy grail of vaping is probably a heating element covering as much surface area as humanly possible without losing resistance, so you can vaporise as much juice as anyone can conceivably want with the ability to dial it down to suit.

Some sort of ceramic coated mesh with perhaps the possibility having multiple mesh elements that can be switched on and off at will to change size of the the area being heated so you could use your heating element from anything from MTL to the most extreme DTL experience in one setup would I guess be the ultimate.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Im going to roll back my Fuck You on this one because it was innocent. Dude, you should have included a bit more information than what you did because context is everything and all I seen in your post was a stranger on the internet asking a vile and childish question.

I do not know of the person you speak of and the avatar is a reference to a TOOL song.

Fair enough, I guess its always worth remembering that that things might look different to someone that doesn't necessarily have the same information as you, or know what you are thinking / in what context you are asking something. I happened upon a poster with the name I mentioned on imgur using the same image.

Guess what my avatar is referencing ;)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Fair enough, I guess its always worth remembering that that things might look different to someone that doesn't necessarily have the same information as you, or know what you are thinking / in what context you are asking something. I happened upon a poster with the name I mentioned on imgur using the same image.

Guess what my avatar is referencing ;)

Robocop. I loved that guy in all forms. Comic book, movies and cartoons. It should be noted the internet is crawling with basement dwellers, so a person inquiring about a certain incestuous relationship almost seems normal and most people would react in a similar fashion. Had you ask that question in person the same way, we would have been fighting. Had you not responded to the other post, I would have thought you were an asshole.

Its pretty funny though in hindsight.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Go unfuck yourself.

There, got that for you. :)

If you need it. Because some are not worth the fuck, even if it is a self fuck. The expression Go Fuck Yourself allows benefit of doubt, everyone needs loving even if just a self fuck. To unfuck themselves removes doubt, they ain't worth the time.

Last edited:

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
Wow this topic has derailed. Have not tried Titanium but I can vouch for SS316 being a GREAT coil material.

VU Sponsors