Become a Patron!

Winter Vaping - What You Need to Know About Vaping in Cold Temperatures

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
When it comes to vaping most reviewers concentrate on the basics of how gear is built, designed, and standard use. Very few reviewers take into consideration that not all gear functions the same across multiple climates. This is ESSENTIAL, in my opinion, considering vaping is global.

I live in a very cold climate and my gear does not always function the way it should and there are many precautions I need to take during the winter season.

I put together this post + video, a bit of rant yes, on my observations over 7 years of vaping in cold climates. I hope this will help those of you in similar situations and push reviewers to be a bit more scientific in their reviews. Enjoy!

https://bigvapers.wordpress.com/2017/11/21/vaping-in-the-winter-what-you-need-to-know/

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Y'know... PG also gets thicker in colder temps, though never as thick as VG. It only gets "more runny" when it gets warmed up. Which might be an issue if you're vaping outdoors and then go indoors, because my experience when I lived in Michigan was that northerners WAYYYYYYY overheat their premises. Which is a bad thing all by itself.

Andria

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Meh.

Everything has challenges during cold weather. Nothing works as well. Hell, lighting a smoke in the wind or with frozen fingers was sometimes a challenge. Sometimes I'd burn holes in bulky gloves holding a lit cig.

Early on I found I had problems with leaky tanks mostly when coming in out of the cold. I just learned to take a couple hits shortly after coming in out of the cold, basically vaping the extra juice as it leaked. I rarely have leaking/flooding issues if I actively use my vape during temperature changes.

For cold mods that don't like to fire in the cold, I simply hold them in my hand and warm 'em up.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm just thrilled that vaping means I get to stay indoors, rather than going out and freezing my ass off on the front porch -- which was the exact reason I started vaping in the first place! And in summer, I get to stay in the AC, not going out and damned near suffocating in the humidity.

One downside I've noted in cold weather is the same whether you're smoking or vaping: being able to tell when to stop exhaling. :giggle:

Andria

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Meh.

Everything has challenges during cold weather. Nothing works as well. Hell, lighting a smoke in the wind or with frozen fingers was sometimes a challenge. Sometimes I'd burn holes in bulky gloves holding a lit cig.

Early on I found I had problems with leaky tanks mostly when coming in out of the cold. I just learned to take a couple hits shortly after coming in out of the cold, basically vaping the extra juice as it leaked. I rarely have leaking/flooding issues if I actively use my vape during temperature changes.

For cold mods that don't like to fire in the cold, I simply hold them in my hand and warm 'em up.

Yep, but it is something to be aware of. And, it is our job as vets to let the noobs know. Many people get frustrated with vaping early and and go back to smoking. Sad but true.

Also, I believe companies good make products for colder temperatures, if they so choose.

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I'm just thrilled that vaping means I get to stay indoors, rather than going out and freezing my ass off on the front porch -- which was the exact reason I started vaping in the first place! And in summer, I get to stay in the AC, not going out and damned near suffocating in the humidity.

One downside I've noted in cold weather is the same whether you're smoking or vaping: being able to tell when to stop exhaling. :giggle:

Andria

Not that I am defending smoking, but It easier in the cold. Let's not pretend it isn't. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not that I am defending smoking, but It easier in the cold. Let's not pretend it isn't. :)

You really think so? I dunno. Maybe it's just that I don't have to go outside and suffer, now that I vape. I wouldn't go back to that outdoor-purgatory for ANYTHING.

Andria

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
You really think so? I dunno. Maybe it's just that I don't have to go outside and suffer, now that I vape. I wouldn't go back to that outdoor-purgatory for ANYTHING.

Andria
Well in Canada, especially Quebec we do not have that option. We have to vape outside. That is the law. Not to mention, not everybody's home situation is accommodating. Some people don't vape around their kids or other in the home if they don't like it. My wife hates it.

Yeah smoking was easier. Sure, wind and rain sucked for lighters, but once lit - it smoked. No issues there.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well in Canada, especially Quebec we do not have that option. We have to vape outside. That is the law. Not to mention, not everybody's home situation is accommodating. Some people don't vape around their kids or other in the home if they don't like it. My wife hates it.

Yeah smoking was easier. Sure, wind and rain sucked for lighters, but once lit - it smoked. No issues there.

In your own home, you do what you like -- they can't make a law about not vaping in your own home. Hard to imagine a spouse hating something that will extend your life -- maybe she wants to get rid of you. :D My husband is THRILLED I switched to vaping. Even though i smoked outdoors, I still carried that foul stench around with me, everywhere I went -- he much prefers the smell of strawberries. Maybe your wife would hate it less if you didn't cloud up the place -- I know my husband would hate that, if I did. My vapor is approx. the same quantity and thickness as the smoke I exhaled when I smoked, but dissipates faster. It's really not necessary to be a fog machine, to get the benefits of vaping for smoking cessation.

Andria

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
In your own home, you do what you like -- they can't make a law about not vaping in your own home. Hard to imagine a spouse hating something that will extend your life -- maybe she wants to get rid of you. :D My husband is THRILLED I switched to vaping. Even though i smoked outdoors, I still carried that foul stench around with me, everywhere I went -- he much prefers the smell of strawberries. Maybe your wife would hate it less if you didn't cloud up the place -- I know my husband would hate that, if I did. My vapor is approx. the same quantity and thickness as the smoke I exhaled when I smoked, but dissipates faster. It's really not necessary to be a fog machine, to get the benefits of vaping for smoking cessation.

Andria

Not to get nit picky, but in a home you own yes. Do what you want as long as it does not affect others. But, most people are not home all day. So at work or wherever they are they have to vape outside. Also, the laws in Quebec allows for landlords to have no vaping clauses in the lease and you can be fined or evicted. It's just not cut and dry everywhere.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not to get nit picky, but in a home you own yes. Do what you want as long as it does not affect others. But, most people are not home all day. So at work or wherever they are they have to vape outside. Also, the laws in Quebec allows for landlords to have no vaping clauses in the lease and you can be fined or evicted. It's just not cut and dry everywhere.

I'd say it's probably much like that here, though it's not actually law in most places; it's mostly just ignorance in the general public, reinforced by all the misinformation spread by the FDA, CDC, and various ANTZ orgs. Any businesses other than vape shops, if I need to vape, I either go stealth in the bathroom, or just go outside.

Andria

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I'd say it's probably much like that here, though it's not actually law in most places; it's mostly just ignorance in the general public, reinforced by all the misinformation spread by the FDA, CDC, and various ANTZ orgs. Any businesses other than vape shops, if I need to vape, I either go stealth in the bathroom, or just go outside.

Andria

It use to be lie that here. Then they actually crated laws. In Quebec they consider anything to do with vape a tobacco product. It's really tough here. Many vape shops have shut down because of this. We still have the largest number of smokers in Canada.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In New York like the rest of the US, Vaping is also considered a Tobacco Product and similar Laws apply. In NYC you can't smoke or vape outside with a roof over you head. There are also areas designated no smoking or vaping between buildings in Manhattan because non-smokers do not want to smell smoke. When I have to vape out in frigid weather I just add some wattage to compensate for the cold air temperature. No problem for me with the liquid since the tank gets hot and warms it.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is an interesting thread. Thankfully this is something I'm not likely to have any occasion experience in Southeast Texas where when it gets to the 30's we avoid outdoors because we will die.

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
This is an interesting thread. Thankfully this is something I'm not likely to have any occasion experience in Southeast Texas where when it gets to the 30's we avoid outdoors because we will die.

lol ... we die if it is over 90f ;p

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
lol ... we die if it is over 90f ;p

Here in the Summer we get over 100°F and during the Winter at times it goes below freezing and when it gets in the single Digits they call it Arctic. The Media you know has to sensationalize things. Worst part is having a T-Shirt on at the start of the week and two days later I am wearing a Winter Coat and saying shit it is cold!

Tom950

VU Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They already ban vaping in cars(that you own) with kids inside. Won't be long til they try the same thing with the house(you own).

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They already ban vaping in cars(that you own) with kids inside. Won't be long til they try the same thing with the house(you own).

All I can say is, thank god my son is GROWN! Me without smoking(back then) or vaping(now) while driving is far from safe!!!!!!

Andria

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here in Belgium vaping is also considered tobacco use so yeah, have to go outside in the cold a lot at work and stuff. I just keep the mod warm by putting it in the pocket of my pants with a (deep freezer / food storage) plastic bag wrapped around the mod. Also, vaping on it as well as holding it in my hands helps to keep the mod warm enough for some minutes until I put it back in my pocket. The colder it gets outside, the faster I vape so that the mod will generate heat faster, and the sooner I put the mod back in my pocket. Chain vaping at high wattage gives the added benefit of being able to warm my hands by wrapping my fingers around my RDA... warm hands are necessary if you want to keep the mod warm by holding it in your hands so, while one hand is warming up the mod, my other hand is getting warmed up by the RDA, in an alternating fashion. I make sure the RDA and the coils are no longer hot before I put the mod in the plastic bag.

On my Reuleaux RX300 with ArcticFox firmware on it, the temperature of the mod is displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen. With four VTC5A batteries, it has enough power to keep itself warm despite it is too big to wrap my hand around it. On the RX2/3 putting on the silicone protective skin also helps a little bit. On the single battery tube mech I can wrap my whole fist around the mod. But I am extra careful to prevent the mech from getting cold. So I avoid low battery temperatures just like I avoid high battery temperatures. This is important for the batteries, their performance, and also their safety. The internal resistance of Lithium rechargeable batteries skyrockets if they get close to freezing temperature so that's why. And I don't let my batteries warm up fast, either. Just give them time to let them gradually acclimatize─or better yet, keep them acclimatized... just like the electronics devices.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Unrelated but looks mighty delicious ... :)

It was and vaping Pumpkin Pie DIY e-Liquid with coffee and desert was awesome. To concern myself with how cold my batteries get when I have to vape in the cold is not going to stop me.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
92 today, supposed to be 90 tomorrow. Winter vaping is not an issue. I seem to have an issue with altitude. Work takes me to some places in the 6500-7000 ft range, and I seem to lose vapor and flavor with certain devices. When I try to use the 1.8 coil in my Nauti Mini's, can barely get any vapor at all. Even the .5 coil of my Super Tank Mini's, flavor quality diminishes. Curious why this might be? (Apologies to op. if off topic).

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Isn't the air very thin at 7,000 Feet above Sea Level? I thought it was hard to breath up that high so maybe not getting enough air into the coils? Interesting thing to investigate for sure.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
92 today, supposed to be 90 tomorrow. Winter vaping is not an issue. I seem to have an issue with altitude. Work takes me to some places in the 6500-7000 ft range, and I seem to lose vapor and flavor with certain devices. When I try to use the 1.8 coil in my Nauti Mini's, can barely get any vapor at all. Even the .5 coil of my Super Tank Mini's, flavor quality diminishes. Curious why this might be? (Apologies to op. if off topic).

High altitude will cause problems with most or all RTAs, if they depend on a vacuum, because of pressure changes. An RDA would be a better choice.

Andria

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Here in Belgium vaping is also considered tobacco use so yeah, have to go outside in the cold a lot at work and stuff. I just keep the mod warm by putting it in the pocket of my pants with a (deep freezer / food storage) plastic bag wrapped around the mod. Also, vaping on it as well as holding it in my hands helps to keep the mod warm enough for some minutes until I put it back in my pocket. The colder it gets outside, the faster I vape so that the mod will generate heat faster, and the sooner I put the mod back in my pocket. Chain vaping at high wattage gives the added benefit of being able to warm my hands by wrapping my fingers around my RDA... warm hands are necessary if you want to keep the mod warm by holding it in your hands so, while one hand is warming up the mod, my other hand is getting warmed up by the RDA, in an alternating fashion. I make sure the RDA and the coils are no longer hot before I put the mod in the plastic bag.

On my Reuleaux RX300 with ArcticFox firmware on it, the temperature of the mod is displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen. With four VTC5A batteries, it has enough power to keep itself warm despite it is too big to wrap my hand around it. On the RX2/3 putting on the silicone protective skin also helps a little bit. On the single battery tube mech I can wrap my whole fist around the mod. But I am extra careful to prevent the mech from getting cold. So I avoid low battery temperatures just like I avoid high battery temperatures. This is important for the batteries, their performance, and also their safety. The internal resistance of Lithium rechargeable batteries skyrockets if they get close to freezing temperature so that's why. And I don't let my batteries warm up fast, either. Just give them time to let them gradually acclimatize─or better yet, keep them acclimatized... just like the electronics devices.

Great tips ... but what a hassle eh! I fell your pain. I truly believe there is a market for accessories to help with cold weather. Just like with mobile phones.

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor

Not off topic at all. There are many environmental and climate issues with vapes. Where my chalet is, we're up in the mountains too, and when I climb higher I get similar issues especially low ohms.

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
High altitude will cause problems with most or all RTAs, if they depend on a vacuum, because of pressure changes. An RDA would be a better choice.

Andria

I have similar issues with RDAs, but yeah ... pressure changes for sure have an effect on tanks.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have similar issues with RDAs, but yeah ... pressure changes for sure have an effect on tanks.

The RDA I use constantly, the Achilles, will never leak unless you overfill it (or maybe the bottom o-ring goes bad, but that's rare in the almost 2 yrs I've used Achilles -- it's happened once). The only thing it needs to work properly is gravity, so as long as you remain on planet Earth, it works perfectly. :D Sadly, they're either not made, or maybe just not sold anymore. Bearing in mind of course, that I do use very thin ejuice (86% PG) and it doesn't get all that cold here; with very thick ejuice, I don't know how well it would function, since it uses very long wicks to reach from the deep well all the way to the coil. Since it's such a tight draw, it's not really made for the cloud chasing crowd that uses high-VG.

Andria

Cosmic

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One thing to keep in mind for those not familiar with northern climates...is internal condensation problems. If your mod gets really cold, say you have to leave it in the car for a time....coming back into a warm building it will start developing condensation, both external and internal....definately not good for electronics if it happens repeatedly. Just like what happens to your glasses when you come inside. Some folks wrap their mod up in a towel or plastic bag before coming inside, to slow the temp change down. Same trick is used with digital cameras. Most of us do pretty well tho keeping the mod inside our coats.

Cosmic

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
(Isn't the air very thin at 7,000 Feet above Sea Level? I thought it was hard to breath up that high so maybe not getting enough air into the coils? Interesting thing to investigate for sure.)

There's a mountain highway with switchbacks near here, with an overlook at the top, elevation is about 11,000 feet. Went up there last year for the day. Breathing wasn't difficult but just walking around I noticed I got really really fatigued (but I'm an old guy too), had to sit down alot. But then again air pressure is less up there. I vaped up there with my rda, I knew better than to take a tank. I didn't notice any difference in the vape quality tho, coils seemed to work the same and I didn't have difficulty with the juice, but I was using a thinner juice too, 60/40. An interesting experiment I tried while up there, a plastic bottle of water, like you'd get at the gas station......I finished it and sealed up the cap tight. When we'd got back down to our normal (for us) home elevation of 3500 feet, the bottle was completely crushed flat from the increased air pressure.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Great tips ... but what a hassle eh! I fell your pain. I truly believe there is a market for accessories to help with cold weather. Just like with mobile phones.
There is, and, we have. It's called a campingaz lol
single_burner_r-2.jpg

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
One thing to keep in mind for those not familiar with northern climates...is internal condensation problems. If your mod gets really cold, say you have to leave it in the car for a time....coming back into a warm building it will start developing condensation, both external and internal....definately not good for electronics if it happens repeatedly. Just like what happens to your glasses when you come inside. Some folks wrap their mod up in a towel or plastic bag before coming inside, to slow the temp change down. Same trick is used with digital cameras. Most of us do pretty well tho keeping the mod inside our coats.
Great point!

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'm in a halfway house and they wrote me a citation for vaping during the little snow storm. Fuckers. People smoke in the bathroom so I decided to vape in the bathroom. That way they cannot prove its be. Fuckers. Shit is vape not smoke. The little shit told be it's " the same damn thing". She's a stuck up biiiooootch.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
In most cities and states in the US vaping is considered to be the same as smoking even if we disagree with it and when you violate ordinances, rules or laws you can get fined.

In Quebec, you can be evicted on first offence of vaping indoors if the rental is "smoking prohibited". Vaping falls under the same laws here.

VU Sponsors