Become a Patron!

Why this is BULLSHIT - Vaping as bad for your heart as smoking cigarettes, study finds

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...your-heart-as-smoking-cigarettes-study-finds/

I've been waiting until I had time to sit down and explain before I posted this amongst the other bullshit headlines:

E-cigs are just as bad for your heart as smoking fags as they damage key blood vessels, say experts

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/169...as-they-damage-key-blood-vessels-say-experts/

Vaping risk is similar to smoking

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/vaping-risk-is-similar-to-smoking-22lzpxml5

E-cigarettes are as bad for you as SMOKING, a new study has claimed

http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/e-cigarettes-bad-you-smoking-8731169

Saying "Vaping is as bad as smoking" with only proof that vaping causes acute (not chronic) stiffening of the arteries is the equivalent as saying "Drinking water is as bad as Drinking pure grain Alcohol in teens" because they are both wet.

Of course if a scientist claimed "Drinking water is as bad as Drinking pure grain Alcohol in teens" He/She would surely get the dumbass of the year award.

Lets start off with the elephant in the room.

This Professor Charalambos Vlachopoulos, from the University of Athens Medical School is the one who broke this story and said the reason that Vaping was just as harmful as smoking is because that 30 minutes of vaping causes equivalent raises in Aortic Stiffness and Blood Pressure as smoking tobacco cigarettes for 5 minutes.

That's it. No Carbon Monoxide, No Tar, No 4000 Chemicals 60 being carcinogenic, No heightened cancer risks, JUST increased acute (not chronic) Aortic Stiffness and Blood Pressure in vapers and smokers....

But wait, theres more.

This Professor Charalambos Vlachopoulos also dropped this study:

Caffeine increases aortic stiffness in hypertensive patients:
http://ajh.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/1/63.abstract

So why weren't the headlines "Vaping and Drinking coffee are as bad for you as smoking"?

Where is the "Drinking soda has the same risk of smoking a pack a day" headline?

He seems to have "proved" that acute (not chronic) aortic stiffness without Carbon Monoxide, without Tar, without 4000 Chemicals 60 being carcinogenic, without heightened cancer risks, Vaping is AS BAD as smoking.

Which of course no sane person would or should conclude.

Then This Professor Charalambos Vlachopoulos dropped this study:

Lifestyle modification and arterial stiffness and wave reflections: A more natural way to prolong arterial health
http://www.arteryresearch.com/article/S1872-9312(07)70003-0/abstract

Conclusions
Music, both classical and rock, decreases aortic stiffness and wave reflections. Effect on aortic stiffness lasts for as long as music is listened to, while classical music has a sustained effect on wave reflections.

I wonder where the "Classical and rock music is the cure for smoking related illness" headlines are?

Now sit back and relax as Clive Bates and Dr. Mike Siegel rips this study a new asshole - 5150

When you thought public health could go no lower - it just did
http://www.clivebates.com/?p=4311#more-4311

Anti-Tobacco Researcher: Cardiovascular Effects of E-Cigarettes are Nearly as Big as Smoking
https://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2016/08/anti-tobacco-researcher-cardiovascular.html

"There are some other important things that Dr. Glantz failed to note and which anti-vaping groups will not tell you.
For one, drinking coffee also causes arterial stiffness.
But coffee consumption is not known to be associated with the development of cardiovascular disease and no one would state that the cardiovascular effects of drinking coffee are "as bad as smoking," even though caffeine, like nicotine, causes changes in arterial compliance acutely that are similar to the acute arterial compliance changes seen with smoking.

Sadly for my students, taking an exam has also been shown to increase aortic stiffness, just like smoking. However no one would argue that the cardiovascular effects of taking an exam are as bad as smoking. Hopefully none of my students has read Dr. Glantz's post because I can just see them trying to get out of my next exam by claiming that it will cause aortic stiffness and their doctor has advised them against any exposures that have adverse cardiovascular effects.

Watching a suspense movie also increases aortic stiffness, but no one would argue that watching a movie has cardiovascular effects that are "as bad as smoking," and as far as I know, no one has claimed that watching scary movies is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. I didn't see too many people keeling over with heart attacks when watching Anthropoid.

High intensity resistance training also increases aortic stiffness, but I don't see a sign in the gym warning people that this type of exercising has cardiovascular effects that are "as bad as smoking."

Listening to classical or rock music actually decreases aortic stiffness, although I find that listening to Justin Bieber increases my annoyance level to extremes and I'm sure my aorta is as stiff as a lead pipe under those conditions. But I'm aware of no evidence thatBeliebers have increased rates of cardiovascular disease.

Tilting your head up also increases vascular resistance.

Watching World Cup soccer also increases vascular resistance but we don't tell soccer fans that they are engaging in a habit that has health effects that are as bad as smoking."

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Didn't the Royal Academy already prove that vaping does NOT cause atherosclerosis?

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The real impact of something like this is that it gives smokers a 'reason' to stay on the ciggies, 'no point even trying vaping as it is just as bad for you'. Outcome of that is it gives BigT and therefore BigP a solid customer base to work with, or as they term it 'rinse for cash' and of course Gov gets the taxes. So the winners when this kind of bullshit is reported so widely are of course the usual suspects....BigT/BigP and Gov. A powerful combination of proponents with complete disregard for the public, so we can be pretty certain that the bullshit train is never gonna stop....or even slow down.

Did you know...

If you walk across the road blindfolded humming a tune you are just as likely to get run down as if you walk across the road blindfolded smoking a cigarette. Obviously humming a tune is just as dangerous as smoking !!!

Well that would be Dr Fuckwit's conclusion anyway :D

VaporCat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These clowns never give up. Given the above data, my new study surmises several points:

- always listen to classical/rock music while vaping, the two effects will cancel each other out, as well
as drowning out any antz whining in the process.
- if you vape, drink coffee, work out and take an exam with a scary movie playing in the background, it might be dangerous but still not as bad as smoking.
- poorly thought-out studies, sensationalist journalism and antz propaganda are triply dangerous aortic stiffeners, making them at least three times worse than smoking.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These clowns never give up. Given the above data, my new study surmises several points:

- always listen to classical/rock music while vaping, the two effects will cancel each other out, as well
as drowning out any antz whining in the process.
- if you vape, drink coffee, work out and take an exam with a scary movie playing in the background, it might be dangerous but still not as bad as smoking.
- poorly thought-out studies, sensationalist journalism and antz propaganda are triply dangerous aortic stiffeners, making them at least three times worse than smoking.
Best [post] of the day!

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What's next................................?

Vaping causes your pecker to fall off?:headbang:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tumblr_nluk3zfUmE1r48gfro1_400_zpsqrvmrlxx.gif

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I didn't see any links to any studies, just links to other :poop: articles

SpaceOctopus

The Octopus of Space
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
P9Nin23.gif

Yeah, doesn't a study have to be scientific & require peer-review or something? How are these jackasses allowed to release these "studies" with no evidence backing them up, not being peer-reviewed, and full of absolute nonsense that is akin to releasing a "study" that claims sausages have been proven to enhance your ability to be really sexy, if you wear them in your ears & sing christmas carols to men named Bob? Or that the sky is probably actually green because it's blue, blue is a color, & so is green, so it must also be green because they're both colors? Or oxygen must be dangerous & make you want to commit murder, because all murderers have been found to breathe it. Or something like that. Fucking nonsense. I can't even come up with shit that stupid, it's so ridiculous. I would believe one of my examples before any of the aforementioned "studies"....

I don't understand for the life of me how/who/why they are able to do that. Especially through any goddamn "reputable" source.... but then again, I have this naive optimism, I keep hoping people wont suck so much, even though I know they do, & that's not changing any time soon. What's that called again? Oh yeah, insanity....
/me rage quit
cb94d079-9736-4dbd-8e13-42591aef3289

VU Sponsors