Become a Patron!

why is my wick doing this ?

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
idk if juice is washing it clean, or not going up the white sides.

20191119_165049.jpg

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mine will do that if I haven’t cleaned the rda after a darker or oxidized juice. -I rarely clean my rdas so it happens a lot.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For some reason it happens to me sometimes. I feel like its when i dont get the air flow holes in front if the coil but the cotton instead. With the profile that's not likely though

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try trimming just the dark areas with a sharp scissor & see if it helps I’m thinking along the lines of rayon. When rayon does that it’s because it’s too dense in those areas. Can’t hurt to try.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Try trimming just the dark areas with a sharp scissor & see if it helps I’m thinking along the lines of rayon. When rayon does that it’s because it’s too dense in those areas. Can’t hurt to try.
this or there is spot that is just barley in contact with that edge of the mess... the fact it is happening reverse parallel i suspect the former might be a tad to much in those spots.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
it was cleaned.

i just checked it, it does look like it was denser on the darker sides. i worked it around to see howw that works, but its about ready for a rewick anyway.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe condensation dripping from the top cap and its darker than the juice being vaped. I got the idea thinking maybe the cotton was touching the sidewall of the cap.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This used to drive me crazy. I started looking into why it did it, and found that it was from uneven wicking. The dark sections were always more dense and would draw the cooked juice off the coil as that area dried up.

I also found that this will happen with standard coils, but usually only when one side of the wicking is more dense than the other side. Then you end up with dark streaks on one side and not the other.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This used to drive me crazy. I started looking into why it did it, and found that it was from uneven wicking. The dark sections were always more dense and would draw the cooked juice off the coil as that area dried up.

I also found that this will happen with standard coils, but usually only when one side of the wicking is more dense than the other side. Then you end up with dark streaks on one side and not the other.
yep which is why you see some wicking videos pull the wick in both directions and even rock it to an extent when i started rocking mine i got this to cut back to almost never. now it either keeps up or burns at some point.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years

i'm think'n this is it. after i tweeked it around, its working great now.

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe condensation dripping from the top cap and its darker than the juice being vaped. I got the idea thinking maybe the cotton was touching the sidewall of the cap.

This is exactly what’s happening. Condensation which is darkened from the heat is running down the side of the topcap and onto the wick.

The ‘pattern’ depends on how he holds his mod. If he would swap from thumb-fire to finger-fire, the patten would swap too.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
This is exactly what’s happening. Condensation which is darkened from the heat is running down the side of the topcap and onto the wick.

The ‘pattern’ depends on how he holds his mod. If he would swap from thumb-fire to finger-fire, the patten would swap too.

i hold it different ways. after tweeking around the wic, the discolor is gone, yes, its now nearly completely gone.

now, i'm not saying that condensation thing is not possible, as it does make sense.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I get that on my Profiles all the time. I'll pull the top cap and wipe it out with a tissue. All good then.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I get them on both sides at times.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I rarely clean my rdas so it happens a lot.

I will sacrifice one of @Rossum 's goats to the rda god K'nthtul in your behalf. Please change your "evil" ways lest they send out "the Dave that's never here" to hold an intervention on you. Laugh all want but when that Dave shows up and wiggles the finger, oh you just know you've really crossed "the line".

I too am guilty of not really giving my rdas a full on proper cleaning. Yeah sure, I might re-coil them every few weeks or so, or months. I don't let them soak in hot soapy water, use q-tips, pamper them with vape towels. Nah, they're metal, metal can be abused.

Interestingly enough ever notice how nobody can directly point out to you this so called "line"? I think they're full of beans. Everybody knows we live in a sphere, it's all circular. How can there be some arbitrary "line"?

I started looking into why it did it, and found that it was from uneven wicking.

This confirms my long held hypothesis that a lot wrong in the world at large stems from unbalance. We need to shift the poles, soon, very soon.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have found that with the SS mesh this happens when the wick is not tight against the mesh, YMMV

VU Sponsors