Become a Patron!

Why doesn't the ATF(E) regulate tobacco?

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Isn't that what the "T" stands for ffs?!?

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They don't regulate, they enforce the laws, and yes, they will be the ones raiding if/when it comes to that.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Huh, I figured since you need to go to them for some licenses and the like, they were also a regulatory agency

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Huh, I figured since you need to go to them for some licenses and the like, they were also a regulatory agency
I guess you could say they regulate to a point, but I think enforcement is their main thing. Even if they are a regulatory agency, it wouldn't be the first time the government had multiple agencies regulating something.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms... sounds like a party, who brought the chips? :p

Sorry, that's an oldie.

As said... ATF is primarily an enforcement agency, not regulatory.
They do issue permits and inspect, though those regs are written by Congress, not the ATF.
FDA is an independent entity, so they get to write their own.

And what do ATF agents enforce? Taxation primarily.
They are, or began as, the enforcement arm of the Treasury Dep't. (Party Supply Division).

Yup... the Untouchables. :)

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How badass are they going to feel I wonder, rushing in to confiscate flavored juice? Long gone are the days of 'we raided the shipment and took down brick after brick of narcotics!' Now it will be 'we blew the doors down and confiscated illegal ejuice - by the milliliter. It was insane'. :p

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How badass are they going to feel I wonder, rushing in to confiscate flavored juice?

Throwing neckbearded* Hipsters to the ground?
Pretty badass... or happy at least. :p

*I'll be staying out of vape shops unless I've remembered bothered to shave. :eek:

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wonder if the atf yells "regulators mount up" before every raid.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Mcas4380

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you know for as bad ass as they sound they really don't have much power they cant even track weapons sales.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you know for as bad ass as they sound they really don't have much power they cant even track weapons sales.

Only from an FFL sale or whenever a P2P buyer re-registers the firearm.

Asshole enthusiasts (roll your eyes back into your heads everyone... my late father was a pistol smith... I've been shooting for a half century myself) have made it as difficult as possible for any such tracking program, or communication between various agencies, state or federal.

It's not legal to centrally collect the data... thanks NRA. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We need the NVA, national vapers association. Though preferably with better choice of initials, plenty of vets I'm sure already getting their bp up. This is why I'm not on the shortlist for consultation when it comes to sorting out new acronyms. lmfao - FAIL.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only from an FFL sale or whenever a P2P buyer re-registers the firearm.

Asshole enthusiasts (roll your eyes back into your heads everyone... my late father was a pistol smith... I've been shooting for a half century myself) have made it as difficult as possible for any such tracking program, or communication between various agencies, state or federal.

It's not legal to centrally collect the data... thanks NRA. :rolleyes:
Thats what happens.... when you have constitutional rights to protect yourself and overthrough the government.... the purpose of the 2nd is to protect us from the government...... not the other way around.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats what happens.... when you have constitutional rights to protect yourself and overthrough the government.... the purpose of the 2nd is to protect us from the government...... not the other way around.

<snarky response snipped, sorry... it's a hot-button topic>... none of us will be engaging in organized armed resistance of the Federal gov't. That's been a piss-poor excuse for a century. "Red Dawn" is an entertaining fiction, nothing more.

What we've had since about the eighties is entrenched warfare of the civilian contingents, with neither side able to admit where their philosophy went off the rails, and unable to make the smallest move towards a dialog and a reasoned compromise. Leaving the vast majority of us, on both sides, as hostages in no-man's land.
A compromise solution which might leave us our responsible ownership, for both protection and sport, while addressing the underlying (and systemic) issues of irresponsible use, loss of our heritage and safety education, and far too many adults still treating a firearm as a fucking toy. :mad:

The eventual alternative serves only the grabbers.
We will not go the Oz route, the cost would be astronomical.
(Almost literally... it would probably far exceed any adjusted NASA budget since Apollo)

The alternative will be far, far worse.
And much of the blame will rest with LaPierre.

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can't legislate personal responsibility or self control. Yes people do need to learn to treat toys as toys and tools as tools.

But the point is the founder of this country KNEW that at some point. Those in government would want more power. So they added the second amendment. To make it possible for the war they just concluded.... Could be repeated. If required. It there to make the government FEAR the citizens wrath. It is there to prevent the government from instiling fear or control over the citizen. The government is suposed to protect and garrantee our FREEDOMS. NOT dictate or restrict them.

Go look at history.. when did people get killed more by guns???? Before or after the addition of Gun Control Laws. Heck we could do this for the whole Progressive (both dem and rep) movement.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
CrackerJack philosophies and dewy-eyed platitudes for the Founding Fathers do not address the current state of the issue... and it's a very complicated issue.

I don't want to lose my freedoms, but the extremist NRA-fanboi's habit of putting their heads in the sand (something Ostriches don't actually do :p ) and crying "... it's not that bad, don't worry about it." just puts the discussion off for another, worse, day.

Hell... we don't even actually kill that many, proportional to the number of rounds we discharge annually (between one and two BILLION)... but it's untenable to the antis.
And if we don't take steps... they will.

I'm sorry you want to simplify it to a political or "personal responsibility" problem.
That doesn't begin to face the complexity of the issue. :(

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not that complex. People are the problem. Laws addressing guns, will not fix that. We keep making law to fix these problems. Yet the issue gets worse. Mar be it's time we stop focusing on the tools of violence and started considering addressing the causes.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
People are the problem. Laws addressing guns, will not fix that. We keep making law to fix these problems. Yet the issue gets worse. Mar be it's time we stop focusing on the tools of violence and started considering addressing the causes.

This shows you're on the right track IMO (though it is a complex problem... very much so).

marco67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
DC makes issues complicated. Hides the lies..

VU Sponsors