Become a Patron!

Why do some coils pop?

sci4me

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys and gals. So, I very recently got into RDAs and rebuilding. So far, I am in love.
I was just wondering, why do some of the coils I have tried pop a lot more than others? Some will have lots of small pops while firing, some will fire and have a large pop near the end, and some hardly pop at all. I figure it's due to the different ways the coils are built, but, what exactly is going on?

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
From my experience most popping is caused by a hot spot.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

sci4me

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I should mention that I'm using a .25 ohm coil and I am only running one coil. The coil is two 28-gauge Ni80 wires and a 24-gauge Ni80 wire.
Also it may be possibly that my wicking is not ideal. I'm so new to it that wicking is still something I don't have much experience with so who knows.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I should mention that I'm using a .25 ohm coil and I am only running one coil. The coil is two 28-gauge Ni80 wires and a 24-gauge Ni80 wire.
Also it may be possibly that my wicking is not ideal. I'm so new to it that wicking is still something I don't have much experience with so who knows.
Like i said bud 99% sure it's a hot spot on your coils.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Shall I try rewicking after trying to work out hot spots again?
Yup are you doing spaced or solid coils and do you pulse them after seating them.

sci4me

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup are you doing spaced or solid coils and do you pulse them after seating them.

I made it as solid as I could but, again, I'm pretty new to building so, I did my best. And yeah, I pulse them and try to get them firing evenly and all that after seating them.

Here's a picture of what I have right now:
Ko8xnvl.jpg

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I made it as solid as I could but, again, I'm pretty new to building so, I did my best. And yeah, I pulse them and try to get them firing evenly and all that after seating them.

Here's a picture of what I have right now:
Ko8xnvl.jpg
It's not really something you can see in a pic. You've got it down just takes alot of practice. All my builds poped for the first couple months of building. Than it just stopped after getting more experience. You might be pinching to hard when you pulse or could be shifting the coil during wicking. Also the hot spot can be in the very middle of the coil and will look right when you pluse but still cause popping.

sci4me

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's not really something you can see in a pic. You've got it down just takes alot of practice. All my builds poped for the first couple months of building. Than it just stopped after getting more experience. You might be pinching to hard when you pulse or could be shifting the coil during wicking.

Alright well, I'll just keep on practicing then. Hopefully this'll improve. Thanks a lot!

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Alright well, I'll just keep on practicing then. Hopefully this'll improve. Thanks a lot!
And after you vaped on that coil awhile take out the cotton. It'll show darker spot where the hot spot is. But def vape on it a decent amount or you won't prob see it.

sci4me

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And after you vaped on that coil awhile take out the cotton. It'll show darker spot where the hot spot is. But def vape on it a decent amount or you won't prob see it.

Alright I mean, I was planning to probably replace it later tonight. Or do you think I should wait even longer?

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Alright I mean, I was planning to probably replace it later tonight. Or do you think I should wait even longer?
I'd wait just bc when you do go to rewick you'll have a better idea of whats wrong.

thedoberman

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Besides everything mentioned above, I've also noticed having little frayed hairs off my wicks tend to cause a little extra popping if they aren't tucked down good. I see a few to the left in the picture.

VU Sponsors