Become a Patron!

Why can't I vape over 30 watts??

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello so I recently purchased an iPV D2. I had built a .35-4 ohm coil and I'm using 18650 batteries of course. It does not allow me to vape over 30w, maybe I can get away with 32watts but then it tells me "Check battery" indicating the voltage is more than 3.6. So from what I'm understanding I cannot vape over 30 watts because anything over 30 watts is over 3.6 volts so why do I see other vapers with the same device vaping 45, 50 and even 75 watts but I can't? Desperately need help anything will be useful thanks.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello so I recently purchased an iPV D2. I had built a .35-4 ohm coil and I'm using 18650 batteries of course. It does not allow me to vape over 30w, maybe I can get away with 32watts but then it tells me "Check battery" indicating the voltage is more than 3.6. So from what I'm understanding I cannot vape over 30 watts because anything over 30 watts is over 3.6 volts so why do I see other vapers with the same device vaping 45, 50 and even 75 watts but I can't? Desperately need help anything will be useful thanks.
What kind of battery is in it.. Make model etc.. and are you fully charging the battery or is it only half charged?

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sony vtc5 and I had charged it for 6 hours then my charger turned green indicating a full charge. I noticed every time I hit the fire button the voltage changes alot. Sometimes it lowers sometimes it's higher.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sony vtc5 and I had charged it for 6 hours then my charger turned green indicating a full charge. I noticed every time I hit the fire button the voltage changes alot. Sometimes it lowers sometimes it's higher.
what happens if you put another Tank on it or RDA? same result?

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is my first mod and first RDA. I don't own any other tanks or rdas to test that. Kinda frustrating considering I just got it and already having issues.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is my first mod and first RDA. I don't own any other tanks or rdas to test that. Kinda frustrating considering I just got it and already having issues.
I have a feeling that build may be bad... Or you have either a Bad VTC5 or its a fake .. The other remote possibility is the D2 which I doubt.. I have one as well that I use for a backup of a backup and I have had similar issues.. Redo your build and if you cant atleast check make sure the screws are tight no ends are touch the coil... If after trying this you still get the issue try to borrow a battery.. If you do not know anyone go over to a vape shop and ask to borrow a battery for a minute that way you can test it.. I am betting its one of the two..

Godspeed

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How could the build being bad affect it?I mean it was my first build it didn't come out to bad but do you think it could be a possibility that my coils were too short when I put them through the negative posts resulting in a bad connection with the negative posts? And Yeah I'll definitely see if I can try a battery out or something. I mean I was messing with it a lot and noticed when I brought the watts up the voltage reads 5.4 volts or something and obviously my battery is only capable of 3.6 volts but that doesn't make sense bc I've seen people use Samsung batteries and vtc and do high wattage and yeah I think it is a fake. But even if its a fake doesn't it have the same specs? Maybe it's not as good but I dont want to jump straight to conclusion that its the battery even though it most certainly could be.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How could the build being bad affect it?I mean it was my first build it didn't come out to bad but do you think it could be a possibility that my coils were too short when I put them through the negative posts resulting in a bad connection with the negative posts? And Yeah I'll definitely see if I can try a battery out or something. I mean I was messing with it a lot and noticed when I brought the watts up the voltage reads 5.4 volts or something and obviously my battery is only capable of 3.6 volts but that doesn't make sense bc I've seen people use Samsung batteries and vtc and do high wattage and yeah I think it is a fake. But even if its a fake doesn't it have the same specs? Maybe it's not as good but I dont want to jump straight to conclusion that its the battery even though it most certainly could be.
Follow the logic I suggested

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can you watch the resistance display as you test fire it? See if it remains constant.

It does sound like a problem with the build or at least a strong suspect to eliminate.
It's easy to over tighten the screws and snap a coil leg inside the post. That would leave the res jumping higher and the mod can't provide the voltage it needs to deliver the wattage you want.

Yeah I try locking in resistance but it jumps and if I hold down the buttons to lock it the resistance will actually rise and each time I fire it it will fluctuate.

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Using 24 gauge kanthal, not using temp control since its regular wire. If it helps I can provide pictures but idk if it'll help.

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I took it off the charger this morning and i was able to bump up to 40 watts on a full charge. As you can see the voltage is 3.6 and the ohms is .32. If I take a pic of the coils you can't really see anything bc of the cotton but it's a 6 wrap on 2.5 mm screw driver if I remember on a 3 post RDA.1445777006552-1585981054.jpg

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are the coils solid?

If so... it would be nice to test the RDA on another mod and/or another topper on the D2.
Barring that... rebuild and try again.

Hard to get a good picture but it's not the best but for a first build I think it's alright. I noticed they're a little spaced out but you can't tell and from what I research it's good to give them a little space

Attachments

• 14457774406351570255697.jpg
    14457774406351570255697.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 24

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could this be the issue? If you look close enough it looks like the wire didn't go all the way through that negative posts. I could've messed up and snipped it short not allowing it to go all the way through.

Attachments

• 1445777734135-1137302960.jpg
    1445777734135-1137302960.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 16

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I might aswell, I'm going to rebuild it and do all that and if anything changes I'll post something here. Thanks for the help btw

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay okay so I just went to see how high of a wattage I could go now my limit is 53 watts only because he voltage is 4.2 volts which is the highest these batteries go. But it doesn't make sense why the voltage jumps at higher watts

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No change in the displayed res?

What RDA is it?
I just made a new build..ISSUE RESOLVED! It read at .32 ohm and I made sure the wire was clipped correctly and had a strong connection with everything and I was able to go up to 75 watts. Currently getting the coils to heat at the same time. But everything seems okay right now. Thanks for all the help!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just made a new build..ISSUE RESOLVED! It read at .32 ohm and I made sure the wire was clipped correctly and had a strong connection with everything and I was able to go up to 75 watts. Currently getting the coils to heat at the same time. But everything seems okay right now. Thanks for all the help!
Yep sometimes builds are just bad

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Late to the party but I gotta ask what charger are you using?

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just the standard charger provided with my device but I do have a single 18650 battery charger that I use. I have two batteries so if one dies I replace the other.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think the internal one on the D2

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update: So when I first 're made my coils and set all of it up it actually read as "low resistance" I was a .16 then went to a 2.3 when locking. Now it'd a .32. I'm pretty sure it allowed me to use 75 watts because the voltage was under 3.6 volts. Now after using it for a bit I cannot go to 75 watts. 55 Is my max now and on a full charge I can do 60-65 watts. I tried a fully charged Battery which I was able to go over a 4.2 volts since 18650s are capable of doing that but it doesn't last long until I get the error to check battery. Idk if I need a lower build for 75 watts? Its not like I'm going to use 75 watts all the time but I would just like to use what I paid for if that makes sense.

maltese1997

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All this concern over your coils, forgot to ask what batteries you're using.

And that much of a change in res is just wrong. Sounds like loose connections, either the posts or the various pieces of the RDA.

And some chip sets will "reduce power" with lowering battery voltage, but I haven't noticed that with the D2. Can't check immediately either.

Some of your voltage comments confuse me so here's the deal...

18650s - They have a max safe voltage charge of 4.2v. There appears to be a nominal voltage drop of about 0.7v under load, so most reg mods cut off around 3.2v min so the battery doesn't go below 2.5v.
Too low may cause damage and even make them unrecoverable without a "conditioning" charger.

Regulated Mods - My favorite term for this topic is "chip trickery" but it's just the manipulation of energy.
Energy is quite manipulable, picture high voltage transmission lines (125,000v) or a 50Kv taser.
The mod takes the voltage and transforms it either down (buck circuit) or up (boost circuit) to produce the requested wattage for that resistance and regulates it to keep it steady (thus... regulated mod).

The D2 has a max output voltage spec of 8.0v. But you'd need a higher res coil to make that calculation work (Ohm's Law) and a fair bit of wire to not fry it. Don't think I see more than five-ish even up around 100w with lower 0.2s.

Testing, just for grins, but you should get similar numbers...
Grabbed a 0.387 (Ti 0.4) and the D2 shows 5.33v at 75w (power mode just for the higher W's.
The i100w shows 6.2v at 100w.
I can't check it on the xCube for 180w, as I'd have to fire it to read the volts... and the Ti head wouldn't handle the wattage. :p
Sony VTC 5 non authentic. Also I just remembered when I was pulsing my coils and squeezing them together I made a very tiny spark..You wouldn't think I messed up the chip or anything right? Although I did watch a video by GrimmGreen and he said not to use metal pinchers because of sparks get made then can mess up the coils but he didn't say the mod itself so it's a possibility.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Locking the resistance is for temp control mode. Not sure what effect locking it has when using kanthal in regular power mode, but I'd stop locking it in anyway. Good luck.

VU Sponsors