Become a Patron!

Which to start with

Tink

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would like to start with a cheep but good box. I am a taste chaser. I was going to start with the dripbox but after reading how the atty is more cloud chasing I think not yet.

Which boxes are good ones to start with, including the atty?

Also would really appreciate being pointed in the direction of good sites to purchase from.

Tink

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I found the answers and would del this thread but can not figure out how to do so.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yes, please do share your findings with us especially as we are not big on closing threads around here:D

Tink

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

KangerTech Dripbox
Coppervape BF 18650 Mechanical Mod Kit

GBox S100 by Geek Vape
vw / temp control
Kangxin Inoy 60w TC squonker box mod

Geyscano 50w Box mod has vw

I found some much higher in price and a few more mechanical mods Mostly though at the places I know that are safe the ones they have are sold out. Sucks.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Coppervape kit looks good to me. Currently, using the Reo Grand clones from Fasttech, so far they seem in good working order. Been dabbing the firing aspects with a bit of Oxgard every three to five times I need to refill the juice bottle/swap battery. That for me is basic maintenance requiring maybe a minute or two at most.

I'm not really a flavor chaser being I am using unflavored juice at the moment, well not wholly unflavored. I put a wee bit of Hawk Sauce in the squonk bottle, thinning out the Sauce. My main goal isn't clouds either. Sure it's nice to hit a patch of fog once in a while but I vape to use nicotine safer, to save on direct & indirect costs. Somebody mentioned wanting me around longer too. Not sure why that is yet unless it has to do with the mysterious and allegedly non-existing life insurance policy.

The Origen 16mm RDA might get you the flavor you're after. I tried it for myself and did manage a functional build, once. Drawing on it was very tight for me and it did seem more fuzzy on my tongue and I think that was flavor. I didn't pay much of anything for an O16 or O Little as they're called. Think it was less than $10. My fumbling fingers did not cooperate with the tiny 16 mm deck. If I had started on that it might might have been different, started on a 22 mm deck though. FastTech has these too.

A good general purpose RDA is the Velocity V2, or clones of it. It has a tiny grub screw in the contact pin you remove to use as a squonk RDA. Reckon if you can keep track of those tiny grub screws you can switch back and forth to squonk or not. Also have heard good regarding the Hastur V2, or it's clones and it too has the tiny grubs. The Velocity V2's allow for a wide range of airflow control, dial in tight for hard draw (?) more flavor, let it loose for more air and cloud.

Last edited:

Tink

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you!

I reply tomorrow when I have had enough sleep to enable me to rub 2 grey cells together again.

Jakeman02

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
KangerTech Dripbox
Coppervape BF 18650 Mechanical Mod Kit
GBox S100 by Geek Vape
vw / temp control
Kangxin Inoy 60w TC squonker box mod

Geyscano 50w Box mod has vw

I found some much higher in price and a few more mechanical mods Mostly though at the places I know that are safe the ones they have are sold out. Sucks.

From those I have the Geyscano and Dripbox 160.

The Geyscano uses an unreliable chip that I and most other owners couldn’t live with that was plagued with issues. The stock rda worked but not very well and was a pain to build on and adjust. I knew this going in and bought it with the intention of swapping out the chip for an Evolv DNA40 then in the end have an authentic DNA40 mod at fraction of the price others were going for at the time. Prices have dropped like a rock since then so it’s not a good value anymore imo even if you did swap out the chip and I definitely wouldn’t recommend it with the stock chip

I’ve had the Dripbox 160 for a few months. I use it primarily in tc mode with SS316 and have also used it with Kanthal in power mode, it’s been performing well. It’s a bit wide due to dual 18650s but that’s an ok compromise with me for the extra battery life. As with most included rdas I tried it for a while then it hit the trash, there’s far better choices available on the cheap that come with bf pins. I’m not a fan of the solid tube feed system, would rather have flex tubing but it works well and hasn’t leaked. I’ve been happy with it, would buy again and recommend it for a budget squonker.

I’d also recommend checking out the Council of Vapor Wraith. I don’t own one but it gets good feedback at the price point.

If budget isn’t an issue I’d ultimately recommend the Lost Vape Therion or Halcyon Squonker. They're more expensive but the dna chip is worth it imo. If budget is an issue then the Dripbox 160 or COV Wrath would be good choices.

I quit using mechanicals years ago so can’t help much with those.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For the price and durability I highly recommend the Coppervape squonker, it's a great set up for all around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
:vapemail::hearts::hearts::confetti::confetti::bunny::bunny::D:D:xD::xD::):):cloud::cloud::cloud::cloud::cloud::bingo::bingo:

Got one I ordered today. I took it down in order to apply Oxgard to the firing parts. Kind of a mistake on my part but easily remedied. :) I asked a mechanist friend to put the little parts back together, due to my nerve issue and arthritis, fingers were not exactly being useful today regarding small parts. Might have him do the Oxgard coating every two or three months.

Also have a repair kit for it en-route. Put the RDA that come w/ it back in the box. My general opinion of looking at it, "vastooie, spitooie". I got two Velocity V2 clones & a Hathsur (sic?) coming. Figure I've got something to use w/ the Coppervape. :)

It is quite nicely done for a battery & juice bottle box. *chuckles*Only one minor suggestion would I make, possibly a metallic knurl for the fire button instead of plastic. Yes, there are non-conductive metals. Metal for fire button would help with better threading for the positive 'fire' screw I think. Of course, this is subjective opinion. Otherwise I'm really enjoying the Coppervape over the Reo Grand clones. I was correct regarding the ergonomics of its design. Yay! :)

It is designed for slender, gnarled, staved up hands & fingers. The cut out for the bottle access also lets you squonk one handed. The bottles with it are really squishy too which makes it very nice. Yep, i got girly kind of hands or violinist hands despite never having fiddled a day in living. :)

Last edited:

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:vapemail:s:s::confetti::confetti::bunny::bunny::D:D:xD::xD::):):cloud::cloud::cloud::cloud::cloud::bingo::bingo:

Got one I ordered today. I took it down in order to apply Oxgard to the firing parts. Kind of a mistake on my part but easily remedied. :) I asked a mechanist friend to put the little parts back together, due to my nerve issue and arthritis, fingers were not exactly being useful today regarding small parts. Might have him do the Oxgard coating every two or three months.

Also have a repair kit for it en-route. Put the RDA that come w/ it back in the box. My general opinion of looking at it, "vastooie, spitooie". I got two Velocity V2 clones & a Hathsur (sic?) coming. Figure I've got something to use w/ the Coppervape. :)

It is quite nicely done for a battery & juice bottle box. *chuckles*Only one minor suggestion would I make, possibly a metallic knurl for the fire button instead of plastic. Yes, there are non-conductive metals. Metal for fire button would help with better threading for the positive 'fire' screw I think. Of course, this is subjective opinion. Otherwise I'm really enjoying the Coppervape over the Reo Grand clones. I was correct regarding the ergonomics of its design. Yay! :)

It is designed for slender, gnarled, staved up hands & fingers. The cut out for the bottle access also lets you squonk one handed. The bottles with it are really squishy too which makes it very nice. Yep, i got girly kind of hands or violinist hands despite never having fiddled a day in living. :)
Awesome I love mine:) that and my hexangel are my daily carry mods. Lol yeah I shoulda mentioned that it's a PITD to put back together

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Awesome I love mine:) that and my hexangel are my daily carry mods. Lol yeah I shoulda mentioned that it's a PITD to put back together

*chuckling* Well, yep it can be. It is not though if you got a bent for mechanics and nimble fingers that actually do as your brain is telling them to do instead of trying to twist themselves into pretzels, or gouging you in the eye. I figure on my better days I could might be capable of it. Something also said for observing it put back together once from experience. He did it in a manner I never would have thought of doing, seemed to make it a bit easier too. :)

Tink

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you so very much. Have been looking at the coppervape. Was looking at a Dripbox60w but they sold out. Was also considering the dripez by Kanger. Not sure that is even out yet. I am learning and so far have my son to assist me but it looks like he will be leaving for the winter, job related. Thanks for the advice on the greycono I was considering it. Think Ill pass on that.

Have been looking now for atomizers. I am a flavor chaser.

I have more to say however am late and have to go.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I think all around the Coppervape is a good solid mod. For an atty I'm finding the Velocity V2 clones are nice. I am a moderate kind of vaper, not one after clouds or flavor either way. Matter of fact I got ~8-9 ml of unflavored 18mg nicotine per ml juice in the CopperVape.

I note though VG offers a subtle sweet flavor, that gets stronger if I set the airflow to minimum. This suggests to me the Velocities can do flavors well. I know it does some nice clouding for me at times as well. The Coppervape kit runs about $27 on FastTech, they also sell the Velocity V2 clones there for $8-10 each and they come bottom feed ready.

Apologies if it sounds biased, but to me this seems like a good solid kit for around $40 or less. You might want a battery charger and at least two reputable 18650 batteries. You might spend $20-30 extra for those, have found Sony VCT4 batteries for about $6 each. Wire can be got from TEMCO for $4-12 per spool depending on your quantity on the spool. I wind up spending less than a penny a coil, but they are good coils. If I can learn to wrap up coils and put them on a deck, near anyone ought to be able.

I like a durable product that is affordable. Plan on getting at least one more Coppervape mod, maybe a few more Velocity V2 atties. That's my style and preference though, for me it suits.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recommend the zenith 2.5 clone for flavor and clouds. Got mine for $12 off ebay and it's been my go to atty for squonking.
740394e57aaefadeae96589a4b4b8030.jpg
42e51fbe58b516f1b1cae919d4985f04.jpg

Nice simple 3 post design but easy to build on, great airflow ( can do single or dual coil] comes with regular and bf pins. And is pretty durable

VU Sponsors