Become a Patron!

Which mod for Tugboat V2?

Matrize

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just purchased my first RDA online (Tugboat V2). I've done some research on building, etc. My question is this - I currently have a 50 watt eleaf istick. Should I purchase a box mod? Something that takes batteries? Something with temp control?

I'm not sure what to put the Tugboat V2 on. I'm assuming it would be OK on the eleaf but would I be wise to put it on something else? If so, what? Even if the eleaf is fine to use, what would you guys suggest to upgrade to?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You can use it on your mod. It just depends how you want to build I guess. You have to build coils that mesh with your mod's capabilities.

I have a Tug V2 and like it. I usually run dual coils of 24 gage kenthal at .5 ohms in it. 24 gage kenthal is my usual go to wire. I do have lots of different gages though.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The tugboat 2 has been my go to RDA for the past year, congrats!!!
Like @freemind said, your mod should be ok for it. For a while I was running it with a dual 24g build right at 50w. Its a wonderful vape like that.
Congrats again!.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just purchased my first RDA online (Tugboat V2). I've done some research on building, etc. My question is this - I currently have a 50 watt eleaf istick. Should I purchase a box mod? Something that takes batteries? Something with temp control?

I'm not sure what to put the Tugboat V2 on. I'm assuming it would be OK on the eleaf but would I be wise to put it on something else? If so, what? Even if the eleaf is fine to use, what would you guys suggest to upgrade to?
Do the Ohms law math as a starting point. For a base voltage of 4.0v and 50 watts... you can run down to .32Ω. This doesn't tell you what the optimal build would be for .32Ω at 50 watts, but it does offer a base resistance value. Plug in the output numbers from your mod "short list", or at least review their lowest resistance tolerance, and go from there.

Remember that with a VW regulated mod, you can "force" wattage values above that of basic, unregulated Ohm's law outputs. It comes in handy for a less than optimized build, and makes it fairly easy to find a wattage range that enhances juice flavor notes. This is the best way to go for someone who doesn't really want to get into the education required in my next sentence. :cool:

If you opt for an unregulated box (dual parallel 18650) mod, you will need to have a good understanding of battery safety, Ohm's law and the resultant wattage... to build net resistance/wire gauge/coil configurations and optimization. If you think learning these things will be fun... click on all the sigline hyperlinks below. Get comfortable, and start reading.

Matrize

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is what I'm a bit confused about. I've been researching on YouTube but all I can find is different coil builds. Nothing about Ohms laws, guidelines, or how I find the compatability between my build & mod. I'm not sure where to look for all of this or what I need to know.

I've asked people and all I've been told is 'checkout YouTube' and I've only found one partially helpful video. I don't want to start messing around with building a coil without knowing the information I need to know and guidelines that I need to follow.

Could someone fill me in on what I need to learn/research for this or send me a link for the info I need?

I appreciate the fast response and all the help.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A quick search showed me your device is good from .2 ohms to 5 ohms.

So you can build your resistance down to .2 so if you build your coil or coils down to that, you'll be fine.

There are many free ohms law calculators and many that are specifically for vapers on the play store.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Basically the point is not to put to much of an amp drain on your batteries,
The isitck 50 is rated for safety already, most batteries have the safe amp draw labeled so we use ohms law to figure that out.
Your basically using a series circuit, so its just the basic equation of
V=IR
Voltage is equal to current times resistance
Or
I = V/R
Current is equal to voltage over resistance

For now, just know that you need your builds to be above a 0.2ohm...that's the beauty of a good regulated mod, you can play with your builds and learn all the math and science while safely getting a good vapes.
Ohm's_law_formula_wheel.JPG

Matrize

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what I thought. I just like to be thorough.

One other thing. Flux said at a base voltage of 4.0 and 50 watts. I feel like this may be a dumb question with an easy answer but..

When I crank up my watts or volts on my istick, it automatically cranks up the other. Which means when I set my volts to 4.0, my watts are automatically set at 9.4. Am I missing something here?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
They will both go up together.
Think about it
If V=I •R
And
P(W) =V•I
Then as one Increases with a constant resistance; than, the other must also Increase.
Remember the coils resistance is the resistance used as we are treating the mod and atty as the circuit for the sake of the math here.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's what I thought. I just like to be thorough.

One other thing. Flux said at a base voltage of 4.0 and 50 watts. I feel like this may be a dumb question with an easy answer but..

Am I missing something here?
My reference was to determine a minimum resistance using a few basic vaping Ohm's law constants ... they were not a recommendation, or expectation of what your actual results will be.
You should be working in wattage only, as the chip-set algorithm will sort out the "pressure" (voltage = pressure analogy) for you, based on your actual "read" resistance.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you do really want to get into the math and science of electricity and electronics, Kahn Acedemy has some videos on intro electrical engineering and the physics of electronics with ohms law and coulombs law.
The primary thing you want to do is make sure you don't exceed the amp limit of whatever battery you're using.
With Mech mods, that rule of thumb is especially vital. That's one reason why you see us always looking for higher amp cells. Its the current that is the actual electricity not the voltage.
The voltage is the force applied to push the current.
Some good basic links for the concepts
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/electronics-measurement-ohms-law.html

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/voltage-current-resistance-and-ohms-law

Matrize

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
All of this helped bunches. You have no idea. Thank you so much. Before we're done with this thread, is there anything else vital I should know that I probably would not know as a beginner?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
All of this helped bunches. You have no idea. Thank you so much. Before we're done with this thread, is there anything else vital I should know that I probably would not know as a beginner?
Water and electricity don't mix well.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hahaha seriously dude, there is alot. It would take more than a few blurbs in a thread.
I've been vaping for a few years now and am an electrical engineer. I'm still learning, and, so will you. Just keep your eyes open, ask questions to the vets when you have them, and don't do anything stupid. The fact that you're asking questions is refreshing and shows that you're not dumb. You'll be ok

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
To answer your original question-yes, i would buy a more powerful mod for that dripper. Its a nice RDA, you should do it justice by using it with an awesome mod! :p

Matrize

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any suggestions for a mod? There are just so many different brands, types, etc? If you have a couple in mind that would do the tugboat justice, let me know so I can get a basic idea of what kind of specs I'm looking for.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Any suggestions for a mod? There are just so many different brands, types, etc? If you have a couple in mind that would do the tugboat justice, let me know so I can get a basic idea of what kind of specs I'm looking for.
What would you want to spend?

VU Sponsors