Become a Patron!

When I was a kid it was yo yo's and rollerskates...

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Jacks and 10 speed bikes. I didn't like riding bikes but had a heller collection of super balls.
:D I had jacks and marbles too, lost a few over the yrs and yes pun intended but also true. Had a top that you put wound a string around and..... ergh im showing my age now aren't I!? 😗
Ten speeds were like "a what speed?" Three speed on the centre bar shift style dragsters were "Whoah......your mum and dad must be rich!" Super Balls, those that you saw who could bounce them the highest were awesome. I loved the ones with glitter inside them. Bit of a tragic kid of the 60's to 70's ill admit.
For crying out loud though now its getting stuck in baby swings, dishwashing pods and whatever other mindless idiotic thing comes to mind to do.
Take pride that you I and others were in our childhood days "Intellectual Giants!" 😀

Last edited:

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Had a shitload of Hot Wheels. The good ones from when they first came out . Not the crap they make today. Had a Schwinn Lemon Peeler for a bike. The only nice one I had. All the rest were from Sears or JC. Penny. I remember my mom buying my first bike with S&H Green Stamps.
Damn I’m old

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

@Smigo

When I was a kid it was yo yo's and rollerskates...​

----------------
View attachment 181718

still using da roller skates here...
what? can't you play with your YO YO no more????
Nah, no toy shops where I live. I used to be able to do walk the dog, rock the cradle, around the world and the dig bite with my Coca Cola and Fanta yoyos. I thought I was pretty cool.
Hey, was that you going shopping today? I actually heard this today at our supermarket when I was shopping. They actuall play some really cool old stuff here in our town.

Thanks for reviving my nightmares that someone would wake me up ripping my bl*@!y arms off! :oops:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Had a shitload of Hot Wheels. The good ones from when they first came out . Not the crap they make today. Had a Schwinn Lemon Peeler for a bike. The only nice one I had. All the rest were from Sears or JC. Penny. I remember my mom buying my first bike with S&H Green Stamps.
Damn I’m old
My misses believe it or not has started collecting them. She was never allowed toys as a child by her parents so makes up for it as an adult. They are everywhere, in the garden, shelves but often when she has collected a number of toys for fun gives them away to kids or op shops. She plays jokes and sometimes ill open my lunch to see a toy soldier pointing a gun at me. Once she put a plastic dog poop im my sandwich! :giggle:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Only being allowed toys that were educational, Lincoln logs were part of my past. What I did have were taken away and sold when I turned 10. It was time for me to find work and bring some money into the house. That's when I got one of them 3 speed bikes with the shifter on the handlebars, which my adoptive brother quickly broke, making it a one speed.

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Only being allowed toys that were educational, Lincoln logs were part of my past. What I did have were taken away and sold when I turned 10. It was time for me to find work and bring some money into the house. That's when I got one of them 3 speed bikes with the shifter on the handlebars, which my adoptive brother quickly broke, making it a one speed.
sendhugs.jpg

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My first bike was a used Schwinn single speed with a coaster brake my Mom and Dad bought me for Christmas. That was my bike for several years. Riding up hill usually meant walking. I finally saved up enough money from my paper route to buy a Sears three speed. Living high on the hog there.

I had the roller skates with the clamps and straps that needed the key to attach to my sneakers as well. Ah, the good ol' days...

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The toys I collect now sit on shelves where I can enjoy seeing them. I refuse to sell them or give them away. Even my hubby knows not to mess with them. Plus, it's just a small collection, especially compared to his.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Had a banana seat coaster bike. Used to ride over and down to a grandfather's farm. There I could use a little 75 cc scooter motor bike to herd cattle. It was one of those with the really wide tires. It was not a sporty motor bike. Also liked rolling skating in the big town of Harrisonburg.

The scooter looked akin to this. It was built just a bit lower to the ground though with wide wheels. I couldn't recall exact details, but then figured it was only the 75 cc model as Pawpaw didn't want us getting hurt with something more powerful. I recall it was a Yamaha, or a Honda. The exhaust was also just a straight pipe back, no fancy bending.

MV-Agusta-750S-71-3.jpg

Used to go bowling and get cut off from beer after two. If I was toasty I carried about a 175 average. Not toasty, well if I cleared 40 I was doing something. *chuckles* Recently told my wife, "proof I got Scots in me, I bowl better drunk. Proof you're Irish, you're drunk when you're drunk." She chuckled.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

VU Sponsors