Become a Patron!

What vg/pg is everybody using?

luciddreamer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am looking for the highest quality base available. I somehow think that different bases might affect how well a flavor mixes with the blend. I am currently using Essential Depot's VG/PG. I use higher %'s than most people, and I think my base is the culprit. If you have used more than one brand/supplier, please note if it made a significant difference in flavor intensity of your mixes.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There is nothing wrong with Essential Depot's in fact I have never seen any difference in VG quality at all and what do you mean by Higher percentage..
Higher of what? flavor, PG, VG?

luciddreamer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the reply. Higher % in flavor. I need higher % than most on my flavors, and I feel like my base is muting my flavors. How many suppliers of vg/pg have you tried?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wil
Thanks for the reply. Higher % in flavor. I need higher % than most on my flavors, and I feel like my base is muting my flavors. How many suppliers of vg/pg have you tried?
Ok I am going to ask the question again what percentage of PG/VG are you using your Nic levels and what % oof flavors and what flavors for example...

luciddreamer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When testing flavors I do a 50/50 mix. For my personal juices, I do max VG plus 10% water. I use FA flavors and have a hard time getting the fruits to shine. I can't seem to get full flavor up to 6% while others are using much lower than that.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
firstly 100% Vg will dull the flavors of fruits the only way to get around this is to use a bit of "sour" to make the fruits pop for me I like alot of flavor. With High VG I would go to 15% flavor depending on the flavor.. Also that is way to much water... If I was you I would do 5% water %ethanol (Everclear) but the quick fix is to add more flavor and get some "sopur" just one drop .. VG in General is sweet so it takes forever to steep with fruits... For exaple I made a fruit concotion earlier and I wanted flavor right away I did 65PG 35vg because I wanted it right now. If I was steeping I would do up to 70%Vg but it would have to steep I would have to add some sour and work drop by drop to get the right level .. but 6% and that much VG never work my friend :)

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When testing flavors I do a 50/50 mix. For my personal juices, I do max VG plus 10% water. I use FA flavors and have a hard time getting the fruits to shine. I can't seem to get full flavor up to 6% while others are using much lower than that.
firstly 100% Vg will dull the flavors of fruits the only way to get around this is to use a bit of "sour" to make the fruits pop for me I like alot of flavor. With High VG I would go to 15% flavor depending on the flavor.. Also that is way to much water... If I was you I would do 5% water %ethanol (Everclear) but the quick fix is to add more flavor and get some "sopur" just one drop .. VG in General is sweet so it takes forever to steep with fruits... For exaple I made a fruit concotion earlier and I wanted flavor right away I did 65PG 35vg because I wanted it right now. If I was steeping I would do up to 70%Vg but it would have to steep I would have to add some sour and work drop by drop to get the right level .. but 6% and that much VG never work my friend :)
I'd try some of @Mrscaryz suggestions. But most FA @15% would probably do more harm than good IMHO. Max VG will mute the flavor a bit in my experience, but nothing over the top. What's your topper? A rda will give more flavor than say a kayfun (in most cases) and a hell of a lot more than in a clearo. What are you using for wick? You're not the first person to say something about the pg/vg from ED. have you tried it alone, without flavor or nic? It could very well have been contaminated somehow. I also recommend maybe a warm water bath, shake then rest a while allow it all to mix together... Personal experience though fruits don't need a long steep like a good custard. I mix, shake and vape 50/50 and max vg(no water) all the time. Which also brings up your water source?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd try some of @Mrscaryz suggestions. But most FA @15% would probably do more harm than good IMHO. Max VG will mute the flavor a bit in my experience, but nothing over the top. What's your topper? A rda will give more flavor than say a kayfun (in most cases) and a hell of a lot more than in a clearo. What are you using for wick? You're not the first person to say something about the pg/vg from ED. have you tried it alone, without flavor or nic? It could very well have been contaminated somehow. I also recommend maybe a warm water bath, shake then rest a while allow it all to mix together... Personal experience though fruits don't need a long steep like a good custard. I mix, shake and vape 50/50 and max vg(no water) all the time. Which also brings up your water source?
At least with VF and FA flavors I would go 10% to give a great flavor I am sub ohming at just .8 ohms with a FA fruit type and its tase is amazing at 70%vg I could be a bad match of VG .. How does it taste ? thats the best test you can do ... I always taste test thats me

luciddreamer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have vaped my VG plain. It doesn't taste horrible. Just mildly sweet and warm. I dont think there is anything wrong, really with the base. I just think that there are other bases out there that would allow me to use less flavoring. There are many people who can get away with 3% on fa. Maybe its just my taste buds, I dont know. I use a rda at .5ohms which should be plenty of flavor. I use distilled water bought at the store. 10% seems to be perfect for me (viscocity wise) Does too much water = less flavor?

Mrsscaryz, it seems as we both enjoy strong flavors. What % are you mixing you fa fruits (standalone) at? What is your usual total % in a recipe?

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have vaped my VG plain. It doesn't taste horrible. Just mildly sweet and warm. I dont think there is anything wrong, really with the base. I just think that there are other bases out there that would allow me to use less flavoring. There are many people who can get away with 3% on fa. Maybe its just my taste buds, I dont know. I use a rda at .5ohms which should be plenty of flavor. I use distilled water bought at the store. 10% seems to be perfect for me (viscocity wise) Does too much water = less flavor?

Mrsscaryz, it seems as we both enjoy strong flavors. What % are you mixing you fa fruits (standalone) at? What is your usual total % in a recipe?
Yes I do like very strong flavor but it depends on as you know what flavor manufacturer I used to be a very High VG user until I started sub-ohming now I usually stay around 60pg/40vg so I can not waste so much flavor to get the VG to pick it up... Some flavors for example Hypnotic Myst by FA if you use high VG it will ruin the flavor completly and no steeping, sonic warming , or anything else will bring it back.. I adjust my VG/PG based upon
1. How long am I willing to wait to actually vape this and enjoy it
2. How long do I have to sonic it or very slow warm plate it to get the right flavors
3. I find that chocolate type flavors etc need atleast a sonic bath or 8 hours of warming to vape quickly...

Its not your base my friend its how you are combining the base PG/VG per flavor..

Some like weak flavor some as you said like us like strong so for FA I start at 5% try it at 60/40 then work usually up to 10
% with citrus types of any kind others I find need atleast 20% and I have to move up to 65/35 but again I many type for chocolates move
to 50/50 and there are types I go 20/80 it depends ...

;)

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use WL PG/VG for testing
I use VT PG/VG/Nic for recipes that pass

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use WL PG/VG for testing
I use VT PG/VG/Nic for recipes that pass
Flowerpots but the Nic effects the flavor and end result because it add's PG or VG or a combo and NIC itself effects flavor.. :)

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, yeah, I've heard that before. I don't test with nicotine. Too stingy, I guess. I haven't found any recipe to be altered to the point that I can taste the difference.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, yeah, I've heard that before. I don't test with nicotine. Too stingy, I guess. I haven't found any recipe to be altered to the point that I can taste the difference.
Yeah I understand I use high Nic so thats why I do if I was vaping at like 6 or 12 then I would not either ;)

bbybee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I also use Essential Depot's PG / VG. Went I first started DIYing I added distilled water to the VG. After a few months, the VG mixed with water, as well as any juice I had made with it, had a funky smell and taste. The VG that I hadn't added any water to was fine.
Don't know if this is what has happened to you or not, but....

VU Sponsors