Become a Patron!

What Ohm Coil Are You Using?

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There are lots of choices. With all the talk in the other thread, it got me thinking. There are so many things to factor in when "dialing in" flavor. What ohm have you found works best for you and why? I have not played around much with different ohms but plan to this weekend. I have no desire to go sub ohm, I don't want a hot vape.

So where is your sweet spot?

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
1Ω-1.2Ω for mechanicals.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I build my kayfuns usually between 1.2 and 1.5. Plenty enough flavor and vapor for me :) When I drip, I usually build my Magma at about .7 - .9. I don't think I've ever ventured below .5 on a personal build. Just doesn't interest me. Always more about the flavor than clouds. Outside of the friendly confines of a vape shop, clouds are kinda like car stereos....you might impress your buddies with them, but chances are you're annoying the hell outta everybody else...LOL

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I build my kayfuns usually between 1.2 and 1.5. Plenty enough flavor and vapor for me :) When I drip, I usually build my Magma at about .7 - .9. I don't think I've ever ventured below .5 on a personal build. Just doesn't interest me. Always more about the flavor than clouds. Outside of the friendly confines of a vape shop, clouds are kinda like car stereos....you might impress your buddies with them, but chances are you're annoying the hell outta everybody else...LOL

Why use lower ohms for a dripper?
It may be a dumb question but I have not tried different ohms on different devices.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No, it's not a dumb question at all. At .7 to .9 it's a "warmer" vape. Not really hot. Plus, when you are building dual coils, it cuts your resistance in half (when you run 2 - 1.4 ohm coils at the same time, it equates to .7). Dual coils also gives you double the surface area to wick, so, as long as you don't have ridiculously huge air holes or too large a chamber...it intensifies the flavor. Now if you want to run dual coils higher...you just build 2 - 2.4 ohm coils which will leave you with 1.2 as a dual :) Does that make sense?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No, it's not a dumb question at all. At .7 to .9 it's a "warmer" vape. Not really hot. Plus, when you are building dual coils, it cuts your resistance in half (when you run 2 - 1.4 ohm coils at the same time, it equates to .7). Dual coils also gives you double the surface area to wick, so, as long as you don't have ridiculously huge air holes or too large a chamber...it intensifies the flavor. Now if you want to run dual coils higher...you just build 2 - 2.4 ohm coils which will leave you with 1.2 as a dual :) Does that make sense?
that was a good and simple explanation....thank you.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

This makes sense and I get that. I guess I am just trying to find the right combination and understanding which way to go with what to improve. (If that makes sense) I have played with air flow and I don't like a tight draw. That being said I think I have found what works for me there. I am taking one thing at a time trying to get everything where it needs to be. So far in my coil building I have kept it around 1.8 ohms give or take a bit. I have mostly single coil set ups but I do have one dual coil which I like but it is around the same ohms.

Thanks for all the info.... I will continue reading and trying different things to see what I come up with.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have to admit, when I used a friends dual coil set up, the flavor was ok, the room notes were stronger however. The best flavor I have gotten on average came from a Giant Aerotank, I went out and got one that day, i intend on filling up a whole rack with them and the Megas.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LD what types of devices are you using? That makes a big difference as well.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have a REO with a reomizer 2.0, provaris with drippers (several), and my stingray also used with a dripper.
These are the main ones I use.

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have to admit, when I used a friends dual coil set up, the flavor was ok, the room notes were stronger however. The best flavor I have gotten on average came from a Giant Aerotank, I went out and got one that day, i intend on filling up a whole rack with them and the Megas.

I never really tried the new Kangers. Started way back when with an old Protank 1. Last "fill and vape" tank I bought was the Nautilus when it originally came out and then I decided I just had to see what all this "Kayfun fuss" was about...(as I sit here now looking at 5 of them) and I never bought another "fill and vape" again. Once you start building your own coils, you learn what you like. Once you get that down, you can buy 100 feet of kanthal for $6, a bag of organic cotton balls for $4 and you have coil and wick for a couple years. No more coil heads to buy at what is it....$15.99 for a box of 5? PRICELESS."

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a REO with a reomizer 2.0, provaris with drippers (several), and my stingray also used with a dripper.
These are the main ones I use.

So do your drippers have adjustable airflow? I've not heard much about any "recent" drippers that had too tight of a draw. Most of them are coming out with those cyclops air holes where you can adjust them from closed to ridiculously wide open. Like I said though a lot of the time, you sacrifice flavor when you go for the more open draw. Don't know if you have much Kayfun experience, and TBH I haven't tried them yet, but I've heard that eciggity.com was selling a new Kayfun Lite Plus by EHPro with dual airflow which might be right up your alley. I've read tons of great reviews on them and I plan on getting one to try really soon. Or if you want to say with drippers, you might try a Magma. I love mine and the airflow is plenty enough for me :)

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes, they have adjustable air flow except for the REO which I need to get the hole drilled out a bit. I'd say my air flow is best in the mid range. I don't want huge holes wide open but not a tight draw either.

I have tried tanks but none of the recent ones. I have a cartotank (not for me) and I have lots of protanks etc. but just didn't like them. I like drippers much better. I am happy with my drippers, I am just trying to figure out what ohm is best for me and if it will be the same on each device or if I will need different ones.

I have some building to do this weekend so I can get this figured out.
Thanks!

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No problem. Hope I was at least a little help. Good luck! :)

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
.3 ohms on a dripper 1.2 on the kayfun :)

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like it around the 1.2 ohms window normally. My hot runners I like at .7 ohms.

Hey wllmc. I haven't forgotten you brother. I am doing my best to come up with that Pumpkin Spice Coffee you said you would like to see. It is kicking my butt. Even HIC agrees it is a dog to work with "Pumpkin Spice". I have switched approaches and created a Spice Base and will build on that and forget all about Pumpkin Spice and Holiday Spice concentrates. Rev. F is steeping as we speak. Building Rev. G, with the spice base, today.

Eric

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I like it around the 1.2 ohms window normally. My hot runners I like at .7 ohms.

Hey wllmc. I haven't forgotten you brother. I am doing my best to come up with that Pumpkin Spice Coffee you said you would like to see. It is kicking my butt. Even HIC agrees it is a dog to work with "Pumpkin Spice". I have switched approaches and created a Spice Base and will build on that and forget all about Pumpkin Spice and Holiday Spice concentrates. Rev. F is steeping as we speak. Building Rev. G, with the spice base, today.

Eric
awesome Ill be the first to try it lol. going to work on a eggnog flavor for another recipe the next couple days. I am going to try TFA frosted doughnut. it taste nothing like a doughnut at all but it does have this nutmeggy, spiced type flavor. I am going to make something awesome with it somehow its just not going to be a doughnut. lol got to get some holiday vapes ready

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, they have adjustable air flow except for the REO which I need to get the hole drilled out a bit. I'd say my air flow is best in the mid range. I don't want huge holes wide open but not a tight draw either.

I have tried tanks but none of the recent ones. I have a cartotank (not for me) and I have lots of protanks etc. but just didn't like them. I like drippers much better. I am happy with my drippers, I am just trying to figure out what ohm is best for me and if it will be the same on each device or if I will need different ones.

I have some building to do this weekend so I can get this figured out.
Thanks!

Ld, As I am sure you are aware, vaping works on a principal of watts. We also want to conserve battery power so they don't go dead in the middle of the day. If you are not on a mod, this is important. One way to help the situation is to optimize your system. Ohms Law is what you want to use to get the biggest bang for your buck. I = E/R (current = voltage/resistance) provides the current number in the power or watts formula P=IE. Now using you battery voltage and the coil resistance, play with the numbers to find a resistance that best suits your equipment and personal like or dislikes. To save you some trouble, in the I=E/R equation E and R are inversely proportional to I (e.g., E goes up I goes down; R goes up, I goes down). In the Power equation, they are all proportional (E or I goes up and P goes up). I find I get more flavor when I run a lower voltage and flavor is what I want. If you want big clouds you go with lower resistance coils. R is down, so I goes up and with I up (in the Power equation) P will be up giving you the cloud you wanted. But, P up, E will have to be there too.

One last thing. With sub 1.0 ohm coils, make sure your battery has internal protection. It will heat up.

Fuzzy Bruce

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am using a 1.4 ohm duel coil setup in a Patriot. Sure do go through the juice.

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
awesome Ill be the first to try it lol. going to work on a eggnog flavor for another recipe the next couple days. I am going to try TFA frosted doughnut. it taste nothing like a doughnut at all but it does have this nutmeggy, spiced type flavor. I am going to make something awesome with it somehow its just not going to be a doughnut. lol got to get some holiday vapes ready

wllmc: Update on the Pumpkin Spice Coffee flavor: I have a very close recipe in the bottle. Just waiting for it to steep some to see what the final juice is going to turn out to be. If it goes as I expect, I am going to have to adjust the cinnamon and/or the clove to get them to blend into a smooth note without one shouting louder than the other. Will keep you in the loop.

Eric

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There are lots of choices. With all the talk in the other thread, it got me thinking. There are so many things to factor in when "dialing in" flavor. What ohm have you found works best for you and why? I have not played around much with different ohms but plan to this weekend. I have no desire to go sub ohm, I don't want a hot vape.

So where is your sweet spot?
For Mechanicals anywhere from .4 ohms to .7 ohms for everyday use my favorite are the .8 ohm dual coil Kanger for the Megatank I use 1.6 ohms in my Aspire right now I am using an insane a double barrell holds two dual coil cartos Im vaping at .8 ohms and 26watts on one of my DNA 30's :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ld, As I am sure you are aware, vaping works on a principal of watts. We also want to conserve battery power so they don't go dead in the middle of the day. If you are not on a mod, this is important. One way to help the situation is to optimize your system. Ohms Law is what you want to use to get the biggest bang for your buck. I = E/R (current = voltage/resistance) provides the current number in the power or watts formula P=IE. Now using you battery voltage and the coil resistance, play with the numbers to find a resistance that best suits your equipment and personal like or dislikes. To save you some trouble, in the I=E/R equation E and R are inversely proportional to I (e.g., E goes up I goes down; R goes up, I goes down). In the Power equation, they are all proportional (E or I goes up and P goes up). I find I get more flavor when I run a lower voltage and flavor is what I want. If you want big clouds you go with lower resistance coils. R is down, so I goes up and with I up (in the Power equation) P will be up giving you the cloud you wanted. But, P up, E will have to be there too.

One last thing. With sub 1.0 ohm coils, make sure your battery has internal protection. It will heat up.
No man I do not want to save watts I want to burn them Im serious... thats why I carry an extra battery and mod... I want more power :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So do your drippers have adjustable airflow? I've not heard much about any "recent" drippers that had too tight of a draw. Most of them are coming out with those cyclops air holes where you can adjust them from closed to ridiculously wide open. Like I said though a lot of the time, you sacrifice flavor when you go for the more open draw. Don't know if you have much Kayfun experience, and TBH I haven't tried them yet, but I've heard that eciggity.com was selling a new Kayfun Lite Plus by EHPro with dual airflow which might be right up your alley. I've read tons of great reviews on them and I plan on getting one to try really soon. Or if you want to say with drippers, you might try a Magma. I love mine and the airflow is plenty enough for me :)
Some of the cheap IGO's only have one hole I think they are what 4.67 or something from fasttech the fix has always been to just drill another hole I have an old one that is still working great I think I have a .4 ohm build 26guage wire with Japanese cotton hits like a mother :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I never really tried the new Kangers. Started way back when with an old Protank 1. Last "fill and vape" tank I bought was the Nautilus when it originally came out and then I decided I just had to see what all this "Kayfun fuss" was about...(as I sit here now looking at 5 of them) and I never bought another "fill and vape" again. Once you start building your own coils, you learn what you like. Once you get that down, you can buy 100 feet of kanthal for $6, a bag of organic cotton balls for $4 and you have coil and wick for a couple years. No more coil heads to buy at what is it....$15.99 for a box of 5? PRICELESS."
Yes that is true and I do use my Kayfuns and Foggers and my Orchid and about 20 other oddball things but as busy as I have gotten as of late I have found that a nice .8ohm koil in a Megatank works real good... The new Kanger heads are outstanding in fact I took and old protank 2 and made the inner tube shorter and put a new dual coil kanger in its nutz haha no airflow control but works great :)

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use anywhere from 1.2- 1.8 with just about everything including dripper's , works great for me.

VU Sponsors