Become a Patron!

What do you guys think about the various Provari models?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So,
Wow... tough crowd here. I can certainly understand the P3 doesn't meet the vaping requirements of many here, but there are a lot of people that still vape at 20watts and under. For them this is a very nice mod. The Provari is still the best regulated mod on the market without a doubt. While the DNAs and SX350s are also very good regulated mods, they are accurate to within 10ths of a volt or watt while the Provaris are accurate to within 100ths. So the accuracy, physical robustness, long warranty, and excellent service still make this a great mod if you vape within the constraints of it power delivery.

And I do get that it doesn't deliver enough power for many of you. In fact, it no longer meets my power requirements either since I've gone to subohm tanks. But that is no reason to bash a mod that is very clear in what it delivers, and does that better than any mod on the market. If it doesn't go high enough for you great, get a mod that does. But if you're a vaper that only does 20watts or less it is still the class of the field.

Lighten up guys this is still a great mod, it just isn't the right choice for those that are looking for more power.
Ummmm...
Again no one bashed the mod, if you read what we said, we clearly stated it is well built-even though its the only one I've owned to sustain physical damage and every 2.5 I've seen has had a loose board.

Most of what was said was about the power or constructive criticism, crappy customer service, pirated functionality
Build quality wise no one said anything negative,

However it is not the best regulated mod on the market, thats a matter of opinion. imho the best regulated mod on the market is the one that lets you vape what and how you want.

Where are you getting your number though?
I'd be interested to see where its accuracy is better than a DNA or Sx350j chip

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So,

Ummmm...
Again no one bashed the mod, if you read what we said, we clearly stated it is well built-even though its the only one I've owned to sustain physical damage and every 2.5 I've seen has had a loose board.

Most of what was said was about the power or constructive criticism, crappy customer service, pirated functionality
Build quality wise no one said anything negative,

However it is not the best regulated mod on the market, thats a matter of opinion. imho the best regulated mod on the market is the one that lets you vape what and how you want.

Where are you getting your number though?
I'd be interested to see where its accuracy is better than a DNA or Sx350j chip

Probably the easiest source to see the regulation results is PBs scope results in his reviews. The P2.5 and the P3 are just shockingly good... it really is surprising. And it's done with PWM. Of course it's PWM at 800Hz and not the typical 33Hz of a Vamo or other not so well done PWM mods. But it does show just how good PWM can be when it's done really well. BTW, I'm a huge fan of the SX350 chip and have been since it was first released. And both the SX350s and DNAs more than meet my needs as far as regulation. But I can't deny the Provaris are really well done... for what they do.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Probably the easiest source to see the regulation results is PBs scope results in his reviews. The P2.5 and the P3 are just shockingly good... it really is surprising. And it's done with PWM. Of course it's PWM at 800Hz and not the typical 33Hz of a Vamo or other not so well done PWM mods. But it does show just how good PWM can be when it's done really well. BTW, I'm a huge fan of the SX350 chip and have been since it was first released. And both the SX350s and DNAs more than meet my needs as far as regulation. But I can't deny the Provaris are really well done... for what they do.
Well, that doesn't answer the relation between the three on accuracy.
From my recollection-memory recall, I'm too tired to hunt for charts- the three are equally accurate with evolve being slightly on top until the sx350j, and the sx350j edging ahead of the dna40.
And yes we've all said the p-thingies are great for what they are but for the money you are going to spend the other options just offer more,
A kayfun will run just as well on any of the top dogs, but with some you have the option of using another avenue not offered by prorape
But even you said you dont use yours anymore.

The comments are more on... 200-250$ for a 20w mod.. or 200-250$ on a 60/120w mod, with temp limiting, and a host of other features and probably more accurate,

Different strokes for different folks, but that kfl will run the same at 20w on something else as it does on provape but I can remove it on that mod and put a Kennedy on at 0.2 and fill up a room if I wanted. With provape o need another mod,

Or the other scenario of what it can do but programmed not to.

In the end its a what makes you not smoke, but if I have the chance to give my ^^opinion I will.And when asked what someone should buy, for that much money I want them happy.

Last edited:

ItTechy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I believe I mentioned this earlier in this thread:

There was a VERY successful mod company called Puresmoker, be it he only made mechs, it would have only been a matter of time before he transitioned to VV..perhaps located in Nashville, TN...he did VERY well, even had a pro juice lab (I had visited his operation), very up to date, clean rooms, the whole shebang!

Well about 4 years ago, two people sued his ass to the point he had to close his business down because he apparently didn't have enough disclaimers everywhere about batteries...the two ass hats that sued him, both had the wrong types of batteries in the mods, but that didn't stop the law suits!

And yes they blew up and caused severe personal injury...thus the litigation.

It was not his fault, but it taught the whole vaping community, especially the manufacturers here in the US, that there are idiots that walk amongst us, and some try to vape..LOL

The moral of the story is every company, Provape included took very careful note of this, and now as we are well aware there are disclaimers about batteries everywhere!

See you're not gonna see anyone here sue a Chinese company, they can't, but sure as hell they'll sue a US company!

The only way Provape is considering...note that word...considering jacking these puppies where we want hem is a signed liability release, and only Provape will do the upgrade, it's still in the discussion phase because, they don't want any law suits!

Last edited:

ItTechy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Oh no doubt, we had just been discussing that for the price range there is way too much competition that is equal to if not better in features..I love my Provape devices, never had a minutes trouble out of any of them, BUT but

It irks the shit out of me that they won't fire anything under .9Ω (without the new firmware).

I mean even the DNA30' fire anything, they just have limited adjustment as far as voltage and wattage, but they will fire anything!

ItTechy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Might I also add that the precision voltage regulation they have while being a great hats off to American electrical engineering is overkill, IMHO

It needs to be accurate, but not hair splitting accurate, no need....jus' say'in...

You're not powering a precision heating element, no are we???

It certainly cannot justify the price vs. the limited functionality in comparison to other American products, take the imports out of the mix...

That's why Provape has shot themselves in booth feet...IMHO

Last edited:

ItTechy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It all boils down to choice and what melts your butter!

If you just have to have a Provari P3, well you probably also stood in line for a Apple Watch..LOL

or

You just have way too much money to toss around...(give some here)!

I mean come on, they're not THAT great anymore!

I mean I can only just now use it with a .5Ω atty!

Don't tell me that a 1Ω coil is just as efficient as a .3Ω or .5Ω coil , it is not!

You'll waste a whole lot more energy trying to get a 1Ω coil to do what a .5Ω coil can do at the same rate ,and no it's not 50% more efficient, it doesn't work that way!

I do have a MS in Electrical Engineering, so I think I know what the fuck I'm talking about when it comes to electricity. No brag, just fact, but if you want to argue, I know better!

And oh yeah, I will not argue with anyone about electrical theory or applied engineering, no point!

Kind of like saying a mod is a Variable Wattage device, how about horse shit!

VW is nothing more than an logarithmic formula applied to the voltage factor to give you an equivalent, nothing more, nothing less!

Be it varying the wattage setting can be a bit more precise (for the voltages) if the device is accurate to 100ths of volts, you cannot vary the wattage on a fixed resistance heating coil!

Ever wonder why the voltage changes if you change the wattage, and no they really are independent of each other...because it's called MARKETING!

The Chinese started it, and we had to comply to be competitive!

Last edited:

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still have a V1!!! got it late 2011. Works. Could run it over with a car, and it would survive. Depending on the car, it may actually hurt the car. but its only 15 watts, and still have the 18350 battery...

ItTechy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I still have a V1!!! got it late 2011. Works. Could run it over with a car, and it would survive. Depending on the car, it may actually hurt the car. but its only 15 watts, and still have the 18350 battery...

Indeed they are really built well, well the V1, P2.5' are, I have only dropped my P3 once and it dented the asphalt!

jfdibutton

Member For 4 Years
I am not looking to pick a fight here, just give my opinion and share my experience/observations with my Provari's. I bought the 2.0 (I think, it is the same board/features as the 2.5, but has the vertical lines not the "crop-circle" engravings) forever ago. This was back when they came in bubble wrap, no boxes at that time. I purchased 2 one for me and one for my friend.

We had bought "Lambo's" from our local B&M and his broke completely and mine you could only screw atty's on halfway or it would short within a month. Those were $100 each and lasted for a very short time.

I carried my Provari daily for years without it ever giving me any problems he lost his after about a year and a half. He instantly bought another one (Zombie 2.5) about a year ago. We have both used them as hammers in a pinch (can't even tell on my satin silver, the cheapest and most durable finish in my opinion). I have dropped mine and the top cap came most of the way off (destroyed the Kayfun that was on it) took it home and put a magazine on the table to protect the table from damage, removed the battery, screwed the battery cap back on, placed it top cap down on the magazine, and whack the crap out of it with a small sledge hammer. The top went back on and haven't had a problem with it in over a year since I did that.

The finish has worn off of his in quite a few places. And we finally found the weak link. The screen window both of our have broken and we need to send them back to Provape to have them fixed.

I lost mine for about 3 weeks back in March. I ended up purchasing an iStick 50 watt and a Subtank Mini. After using it for a day I mentioned to him that I thought I could finally stop smoking cigarettes with this setup (we both smoked/vaped concurrently). He tried it and agreed. He instantly purchased the same setup. We decided to quit together another friend of ours (all three of us are roommates) wanted to quit as well and had tried vaping but never really stuck with it. My friend told him he could borrow his Provari and use my Kayfun clones. Well, losing my Provari was a blessing. All three of us haven't smoked in a month!!!!

I did find my Provari and will keep it, I've grown attached to it.

I had really wanted a P3 when they came out but I am now over 20watts and don't think it would satisfy my at this point. Additionally, the quality and dependability of other mods has come a LONG way since the time that I purchased my Provari. Like has been stated many different ways in this thread, Provape used to have the most reliable and technologically advanced device in my opinion. And I do get that they have to protect themselves from idiots out there that will try to kill themselves by using devices incorrectly. It is sad that we are no longer responsible for our own actions and well being. The user should be held liable for reading instructions that come with a product and using it as instructed.

They do make a very dependable product and I love them, but they are no longer the device I recommend. I am still looking for that one.

VU Sponsors