Become a Patron!

What Battery/Mod Should I Get?

VaperJay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been vaping on ego style batteries since about Feburary (when I started vaping) and I feel like I'm ready for something more. My friend introduced me to mods and he is currently using an iTaste MVP v2, which I've liked whenever I've tried it. However, I prefer the pen shape simply for portability although I have plans to some day, when I'm more experienced build a simple bottom feeder mod with a RDA for when I'm just kickin' it at home.

I've been thinking that with my inexperience a digital pen style mod (like the Vamo) would be more my style. They are portable and generally have vv/vw and replaceable batteries. However I can't deny the cool factor that a mech has. :cool:

When on the go or working I just take a puff every once and awhile or relax and vape outside somewhere for like five minutes (I probably do it this way because I so recently quit analogs). When at home though? I often find myself chain vaping while browsing the web, gaming, or hanging out with friends who also vape. I also like having a tank on the go or at work and then being able to drip and change flavors while at home (I don't have a good drip atty yet though :().

What are your preferences? What are the pros and cons of each type? What do you think would be better for my style of vaping? Should I have a different battery for at home and another for when I'm out and about since I vape differently depending on where I am?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I recommend all the new folks start with a Variable Watt device, I bumped from the pens to one myself and I love it! I started with the Groove II because of the price, you can get it from Madvapes.com for 36 dollars and it comes with the charger, pretty slick little fellow. Add an Aerotank to it and the battery lasts a day and a half easy! Threw up some links so you could see what Im talking about, and here is a pic of my lil buddy.
http://www.madvapes.com/the-groove-2.html
http://www.madvapes.com/kanger-aerotank-v2-kit.html
http://www.madvapes.com/kanger-replacement-bottom-coils.html
Picture 42.jpg

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The Groove is a nice little device.

But so is the Vamo V5 which is kind of a staple in the market place. You can take it with you in the short 18350 mode, or install an 18650 battery wtih the tube extension for chain vaping.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll throw this hot cookie in there too....LOL

Eleaf-Istick

IMG_1941_zpsfc2e759e.jpg

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't mind getting the V5 myself, it is a good looking and trustworthy device.
here is a link to the V5 kit, 90 with all you need including batteries and a Mega Aerotank, pretty good.
http://www.pier420.com/vamo-v5-mod.html
I have also always thought about getting the Lavatube 2.5
http://www.volcanoecigs.com/lavatube-v2-5.html
There are also a lot of awesome high wattage box mods that are out there now, so you can use tanks or get right to dripping with!
http://www.vapercompany.com/Cloupor-T8-150W-BOX-MOD-p/a13150wcloupor.htm
The above link is a high wattage box I want, but I would wait till they are in stock, I'm not a fan of preordering.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I vote for a Vamo V5 or the newer v6. I had the Vamo v5 until somehow I messed up the tiny left side button. I was on my way to replace it because I really liked it, when I saw the v6.
The Vamo v6 is only 5 watts more, but handles lower ohms.

I like the looks of the Eleaf-Istick even though the tank in the picture looks odd.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't mind getting the V5 myself, it is a good looking and trustworthy device.
here is a link to the V5 kit, 90 with all you need including batteries and a Mega Aerotank, pretty good.
http://www.pier420.com/vamo-v5-mod.html
I have also always thought about getting the Lavatube 2.5
http://www.volcanoecigs.com/lavatube-v2-5.html
There are also a lot of awesome high wattage box mods that are out there now, so you can use tanks or get right to dripping with!
http://www.vapercompany.com/Cloupor-T8-150W-BOX-MOD-p/a13150wcloupor.htm
The above link is a high wattage box I want, but I would wait till they are in stock, I'm not a fan of preordering.
i second this
smaller than the mvp2
20 watts vs 11...almost the same vape time per charge

VaperJay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oooo, I'd never even seen the Lavatube or Eleaf before. Thanks for your suggestions guys! :D

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Eleaf with aero tank mini or an aspire with bvc coils..
I would if I had the funds.. I get that set up for out and about Downtown Portland. I really do... for a place so vape friendly there are an awful lot of herb/oil question you end up fielding.

Any other set up at home which keeps you going not huffing down the suckies is a good set up.
No Vamo but had a Zmax and protank for a long while.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Awesome mod but for out and about in Portland that would at the very least get you tazed or bean bagged if not out right ventilated by our cops.

I had a security dork mistake my wide bore drip tip for the barrel of a zip gun.. I know stupid assumption on his part but I can see how he would think that. And if security bozo can think that or that it is a drug device I can assure you so does the popo.
Just be careful.

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
At least with the modifications to that Vamo mod he has closed off the vent hole which would direct any hot gasses into you face!

Also hope another vent hole has been drilled out.

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it depends on what you are after. Long run time, or high power? The MVP 2 is a great righ for simple use, as is the vamo5. Both offer great band for the buck? I love the MVP when I travel as it is compact but the VAMO is great as the batteries can be swapped and a sub-tube can be removed so you can use an 18350'for a smaller size. What is your primary "want" from a new APV?

VaperJay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think it depends on what you are after. Long run time, or high power? The MVP 2 is a great righ for simple use, as is the vamo5. Both offer great band for the buck? I love the MVP when I travel as it is compact but the VAMO is great as the batteries can be swapped and a sub-tube can be removed so you can use an 18350'for a smaller size. What is your primary "want" from a new APV?

I'm looking for a long term primary mod, so I think my primary wants are:
  • Ability To Cloud Chase and Fine Tune (So VV and VW)
  • Length of Battery Life
  • Usb Passthrough or easy to replace batteries to avoid being vapeless and needing to swap my mod out when it dies

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well your best bet would be something like a tube APV such as VAMO as the 18650 batteries are 2000+ Mah for long run times but also quickly swappable. The nice thing on the VAMO is you can remove a "tube section" to use an 18350 if you want a stealthier setup, albiet at the expense of shortened run time of the 18350. I prefer box-mods when it comes to run time due to the form factor BUT you can't swap the batteries so you'll eventually run into a point in time that it'll stop working.

VaperJay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My little ego-T was dying on me so today I said fuck it and got the only mod my local shop had at a reasonable price. The iTaste MVP 2. So far it is working out for me. :D

The more looking around I did the more I wanted something like the Vamo or Sigelei 30W but my local shop wanted fucking $150 for a freaking Sigelei 30W. I could order one for $90 online (Or even less!).

I might still do that in a month or two but my ego-T was going to die any day now and I'm moving and between addresses right now so I didn't feel like risking ordering one and having it get to the wrong address or having my ego die before it got here.

evkoo.com

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
upload_2014-10-13_18-9-8.png
How about the Itaste
Variable Voltage VV3 Style

Desire

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Low end: Vamo V5, V6 or V8
High end: hana, zna, ipv3 ..

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll throw this hot cookie in there too....LOL

Eleaf-Istick

IMG_1941_zpsfc2e759e.jpg

That's not a cookie that is Tiramisu that once you taste a slice it will keep you coming back for more. #1 mod out there.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm looking for a long term primary mod, so I think my primary wants are:
  • Ability To Cloud Chase and Fine Tune (So VV and VW)
  • Length of Battery Life
  • Usb Passthrough or easy to replace batteries to avoid being vapeless and needing to swap my mod out when it dies

The Eleaf iStick has it all. You can boost all the way to 20 watts and 5.5Volts, the battery is soldered in and will last you 2 days on a charge so no swapping, external batteries and chargers to add to your expense. It has pass-thru and comes with all the nook and crannies. You can get it all for only $35 which is dirt cheap and will leave you extra money for good juice. Higher VG will give you more clouds if that's your primary aim.

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
A vamo mukey is my vote .... but the v6 is interesting too .

VU Sponsors