Become a Patron!

What Are You Reading?

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Finished A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire (book 2) and now already 73% through An Artificial Night also by her (book 3).

I recently finished book 1 in a new series and actually blogged about the book here: http://frawgzdezignzmaille.blogspot.com/2014/07/book-review-midnight-texas-by-charlaine.html - don't worry there's no spoilers. I'm debating if I want to keep going with the reviews on that blog or move to another one.
i haven't read anything by Seanan McGuire so I googled her name. I guess I know what I will be starting next. I have been debating whether to read the Charlaine Harris book. I really did enjoy all of the Sookie Stackhouse books and have read some of the mystery novels by Charlaine Harris but have been iffy about Midnight Texas.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i haven't read anything by Seanan McGuire so I googled her name. I guess I know what I will be starting next. I have been debating whether to read the Charlaine Harris book. I really did enjoy all of the Sookie Stackhouse books and have read some of the mystery novels by Charlaine Harris but have been iffy about Midnight Texas.

If you can borrow it - or read a friend's copy its not a horrible book. Its just not the Sookie series. I actually loved the characters, but Manfred was not what I was expecting, and he doesn't have the ability to hold up his own series without a ton of help.

Having read some really atrocious writing, I wouldn't spend $12 for an e-book for Midnight, but it wasn't the worst thing I've read of late.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Amazon daily deal is my author friend's new book - great for fantasy lovers and possibly lovers of crossover steampunk fantasy. I'm not a huge epic fantasy fan - but I loved it:
http://michaelrunderwood.us3.list-m...d090b984ff9235ba42&id=75ff3c1d4d&e=2a5c977a38 - this gives his mailing list a link-back that I shared it - it goes to the amazon listing for his book. $1.99 for a full length novel is a great deal.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Stephen King ...."The Stand " ... and a book about the band U2 by Flanagan .

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm determined (to attempt) to sit here in Starbucks and read something on my kindle for iPad instead of browse the Internet

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm determined (to attempt) to sit here in Starbucks and read something on my kindle for iPad instead of browse the Internet

so are you still allowed to vape in starbucks there? just wondering, since i don't even frequent them here.....i think their coffee tastes like they burnt the beans and vaping is a no-no over here.

Juice_Spiller

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just started reading "Field of Prey" by John Sandford

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so are you still allowed to vape in starbucks there? just wondering, since i don't even frequent them here.....i think their coffee tastes like they burnt the beans and vaping is a no-no over here.
I'm sitting here vaping. I do every day. I don't know if it's officially allowed but I always chat to the girls here and they see me vape whilst they're serving and stuff and they never say anything. I think it helps if you're on friendly terms with staff and don't flaunt it and blow clouds :)

VapingHippie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tend to read a lot of murder mysteries both true and fictional.
Right now I'm rereading my way back through john Sandford. I love the prey series.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i drink most of my coffee in libraries.
I go through my periods of reading. When I do I really enjoy it and get stuck in. That would be an enjoyable afternoon for me. Have you currently got any unfinished books?

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I go through my periods of reading. When I do I really enjoy it and get stuck in. That would be an enjoyable afternoon for me. Have you currently got any unfinished books?

i mostly do audio books now, which i listen to in the car on my commute. right now listening to Janet Evanovich's newest Stephanie Plum novel. they are great fun when i don't want anything heavy or serious.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i mostly do audio books now, which i listen to in the car on my commute. right now listening to Janet Evanovich's newest Stephanie Plum novel. they are great fun when i don't want anything heavy or serious.
I'd like some good audio books for when I go on long walks. Does anyone know any not necessarily for kindle as I can download the mp3 if need be? Not fantasy sorcery though, unless it's Harry potter :p

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
right now I am reading the best forum board ever! VU baby!

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm on book 6 of the October Daye series by Seanan McGquire. Up next will be the new Chloe Neill Chicagoland Vampires book, and a complete read through of Kat Richardson's Greywalker series. I've read 1-6 before, but as there's 3 new ones I had somehow missed and that ties up the series I want to read the series again.

Also on my to-read list are the other 2 series by Seanan McGuire - Newsflesh and InCryptid.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Live and Let Drood by Simon Green

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I reread the Lord of the rings about every 2 years. The gunslinger every 3. Wizards first rule. All things clancy, griffin, and asprin. Etc etc. It's a wonder I ever get to anything new.

Find a copy of "Bored of the Rings" by The National Lampoon.

Get stoned and drunk or drunk and stoned with a pile of chocolate chip cookies and you will have the time of your life!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The hobbit is on Netflix but it just seems to long to watch - and I haven't got any cookies either

Dammit Man!

For all that is holy, grow some stones and start baking!:p

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Bake cookies, hmmm.. hmmm..

Edit: after long thought - I can't. I'd eat them all at once.

Don't take this wrong, but I have heard you British are into gardening.

So garden yourself some pot and you will not have to worry about eating the damn cookies as you will either be snorting them or shooting them up if you don't use them as suppositories first:eek:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:)

Everyone around the world are into gardening aren't they. But alas I live in a city apartment on the second floor and the garden is communal. I can't be discussing cookies or cake just now. It's 2am and too late for cake. I made peaches in jelly earlier so I'm gonna have that : )

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been on a dystopian kick lately.
About a month ago, I started with this compilation: A Taste of Tomorrow - the Dystopian Boxed Set
At the same time I bought the Hugh Howie series Sand.

These two led me on to at least a dozen other books. Some of them were good, some, well, not so much :)

I love exploring new and self published authors in the zombie, horror, and apocalyptic genres. Most of it's junk, but once in a while I find something good.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Right now I'm reading the 10th, and last, book of Robert J. Crane's The Girl in the Box series. I like the modernistic mythology angle, reminds me a little bit of Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am reading the first chapter in a book that "makes alot of sense"

Explains alot...as I am battling an addiction right now...and it's not smoking
http://reuniting.info/download/pdf/CH1.rev.pdf

Sad part is...there are ALOT of people that don't see why things are going south in their relationships...apparently it's genetically programmed in!

Gonna buy the book

And yes...people all over this world are dealing with some screwed up things in their lives...hurts, hang-ups & habits (realizing I'm not the only one that is screwed up)
I guess the first step in fixing a problem...is ADMIT you have a problem...

vapin Grampa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wheel of Time ( third time) Rest in peace Mr. Martin

Reactions: Ace

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wheel of Time ( third time) Rest in peace Mr. Martin

GREAT series, I was so sad when i heard he had passed. But I think Brandon Sanderson did a great job finishing the series. I am rereading the new series from Terry Goodkind since the new book (Severed Souls) came out.

Reactions: Ace

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Weird I didn't catch that till you said something Cavediver. Robert Jordan is the original author of the Wheel of Time series.

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol. I read that and then asked my wife if George was dead; she nearly freaked!

Oops, just kidding honey...

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Finished the most recent Seanan McGuire October Daye book, a new one comes out first part of September.

Started the newest Chloe Neill Chicagoland Vampires book - Blood Games, already 27% through it and I started around 1am this morning I think it was. *yawn* I'm 2 ahead of my target of 85 books read this year. Originally my goal was 1 more than last year - which would've put me at 70 and then some friend challenged me on goodreads to beat my previous year total by 20% so I'm shooting for 85. I doubt I'll be able to match that next year but maybe. My average has been 1 book every 5 days so far - except for longer books that took 10 days to read.

The list of upcoming reads are the InCryptid & Newsflesh series by Seanan McGuire, the new magic series by Maria V Snyder, Kat Richardson, Rob Thurman, and a lot of singles by relatively unknown authors on Amazon.

Mr. Meadows

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Opps. Confused Wheel of Time with Game of Thrones. But as fast as Game of Thrones comes out, he could be dead too. Besides I'm old and confused....

Get off my lawn

Brandon Sanderson finished the wheel of time series after Jordan's death. If you enjoyed his style, he has several novels of his own. His series Stormlight Archive is excellent (only 2 of 10 out) and Mistborn trilogy isn't bad either.

I'm also definately a fan of Martin, having read and desperately waiting for book 6, as well. Also, lately i've been reading the Malazan; Book of the Fallen series. It's pretty good so far, but definately more of a commitment.

Mr. Meadows

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ah, one more quick note, if you haven't read Rothfuss' Name of the Wind, or the follow up Wise Man's Fear, they are excellent. His prose is exceptional.

Mr. Meadows

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Now on book 9 of steve erikson, The Malazan Book of the fallen searies, Dust of Dreams

Didn't see this before i posted later on down the thread. How do you like it? i'm on book 2, and so far so good. Very engaging, and paced nicely.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I loved the Wheel of Time series. I am "patiently" awaiting the the next books from Patrick Rothfuss (Kingkiller Chronicle), George RR Martin (Game of Thrones), Brent Weeks (The Lightbringer Series), and Brandon Sanderson (The Stormlight Archive).

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Didn't see this before i posted later on down the thread. How do you like it? i'm on book 2, and so far so good. Very engaging, and paced nicely.
Book 9. I enjoyed it up to book 5 and after its been a labor. The story does change but not much. Humorous moments always. First time Ive taken on a series this size.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Finished the most recent Seanan McGuire October Daye book, a new one comes out first part of September.

Started the newest Chloe Neill Chicagoland Vampires book - Blood Games, already 27% through it and I started around 1am this morning I think it was. *yawn* I'm 2 ahead of my target of 85 books read this year. Originally my goal was 1 more than last year - which would've put me at 70 and then some friend challenged me on goodreads to beat my previous year total by 20% so I'm shooting for 85. I doubt I'll be able to match that next year but maybe. My average has been 1 book every 5 days so far - except for longer books that took 10 days to read.

The list of upcoming reads are the InCryptid & Newsflesh series by Seanan McGuire, the new magic series by Maria V Snyder, Kat Richardson, Rob Thurman, and a lot of singles by relatively unknown authors on Amazon.

I just started the first of the October Daye series based on your recommendation. Love it so far. I read Blood Games the day it came out. Seraphim by Phaedra Weldon followed that. I have to pick up the latest Kat Richardson. I have the latest Rob Thurman so I have to slot that in. I also picked up Kelley Armstrong's follow up to Omens. I have a lot of reading to do.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just started the first of the October Daye series based on your recommendation. Love it so far. I read Blood Games the day it came out. Seraphim by Phaedra Weldon followed that. I have to pick up the latest Kat Richardson. I have the latest Rob Thurman so I have to slot that in. I also picked up Kelley Armstrong's follow up to Omens. I have a lot of reading to do.
Finished Blood Games last night, and then started Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara. I had this one and the 2nd in the series as physical books when I was still living with my ex. I couldn't move the books when I moved, he ended up destroying them all, so I had to wait until I could get them in e-format and recently found those 2 and I think she's up to 9 now in the series. Slow to start, and the books are long so I was like this is going to take a while. I managed 30% before I knew it.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Finished Blood Games last night, and then started Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara. I had this one and the 2nd in the series as physical books when I was still living with my ex. I couldn't move the books when I moved, he ended up destroying them all, so I had to wait until I could get them in e-format and recently found those 2 and I think she's up to 9 now in the series. Slow to start, and the books are long so I was like this is going to take a while. I managed 30% before I knew it.

Michelle Sagara - it seems to me I read the first book in that series. It was very slow moving and I have not yet read the second and third in the series. Perhaps I will try again. Sometimes for whatever reason a book will not appeal to me but six months later I can pick it up again and thoroughly enjoy. We seem to have very similar taste in books. I just started the second in the October Daye. I have the first five and will look for more when these are finished.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Michelle Sagara - it seems to me I read the first book in that series. It was very slow moving and I have not yet read the second and third in the series.
I remember reading the first chapter of the 1st book when I got it and went "this is going to be interesting." Uh yeah that was a while ago. I started Cast in Shadow last night after finishing Blood Games because I wanted a new series to start that didn't involve zombies (Seanan McGuire's other 2 series). It took until chapter 4 before I was convinced I could keep reading the book. Now I'm 30% of the way through book 1 and realized its a different writing style than I'm used to (almost no humor except from Kaylin), and even that's droll. The language is closer to what some British authors use, so I gave it more time than I would for some other authors. I'm glad I didn't put it down though and I can see how after 1 book you're hooked on the style and the adventure and need all 9 to keep the story alive.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I remember reading the first chapter of the 1st book when I got it and went "this is going to be interesting." Uh yeah that was a while ago. I started Cast in Shadow last night after finishing Blood Games because I wanted a new series to start that didn't involve zombies (Seanan McGuire's other 2 series). It took until chapter 4 before I was convinced I could keep reading the book. Now I'm 30% of the way through book 1 and realized its a different writing style than I'm used to (almost no humor except from Kaylin), and even that's droll. The language is closer to what some British authors use, so I gave it more time than I would for some other authors. I'm glad I didn't put it down though and I can see how after 1 book you're hooked on the style and the adventure and need all 9 to keep the story alive.

I may go through my boxes of books and find what I do own of that series. I did like the first book enough to buy the second and third books but I never got to them. Other books appealed to me more at the time. I think there is a new Eileen Wilks coming out soon as well so of course I will have to get that which will then go to the top of books that must be read. I have found that I am not reading paperbacks or hard covers much anymore because my eyes appreciate all the adjustments I can make to an e-book to make it easier to see.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I have no space as it is. I can have hundreds of books that take up no space, the cats can't destroy/eat, and I can set the text size and darkness based on my brain's demand for ease of use.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hardcover doesn't fit in my back pocket.
Miss my paperbacks but gone due to multi moves. All digital now.

VU Sponsors