Become a Patron!

What Are You Reading?

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do most of my reading on a Samsung Galaxy S4, is so much easier than carrying a book around. But i will say that i miss holding a book.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I do most of my reading on a Samsung Galaxy S4, is so much easier than carrying a book around. But i will say that i miss holding a book.
I use my iphone for most of my reading. I resisted for the longest time because I do like the feel of holding a book but my eyes find this so much easier.

Frawg - I am almost finished the second Seanan McGuire. I find it slower going than the first but am still liking it.

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read way too many books on my phones. Enough to get a kindle for Xmas. My eyes thank my fiance.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use my iphone for most of my reading. I resisted for the longest time because I do like the feel of holding a book but my eyes find this so much easier.

Frawg - I am almost finished the second Seanan McGuire. I find it slower going than the first but am still liking it.
There were a couple in the series that dragged on, but others made up for it.

I'm still slogging through cast in shadow, but fighting off the start of "fall" allergies kept me asleep most of my day off today. It has actually gotten better.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Cannot will not go digital.
I read to relax my eyes, the visceral feel of printed on pulp under my fingers, the musty smell of an old book nothing a piece of tech will ever replace.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There were a couple in the series that dragged on, but others made up for it.

I'm still slogging through cast in shadow, but fighting off the start of "fall" allergies kept me asleep most of my day off today. It has actually gotten better.
I finished the second of the series and am taking a break before I plunge into the third. Maybe I will read something from one of the other series I have on hand. I think a good mystery or something from an entirely different genre might be called for. I may have overdosed on the urban fantasy.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cannot will not go digital.
I read to relax my eyes, the visceral feel of printed on pulp under my fingers, the musty smell of an old book nothing a piece of tech will ever replace.
My eyes have got to the point where I need large print...getting old!

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If it wasn't for the stuff of 6 people who don't live here, living in my basement I might have space for a book or two. There's 7 on my dresser which is also my shipping station, and books shoved hither & yon all over the house where I can find space but no I don't have space for as much as I want to read. That and my local library thinks I'm made of money - they charge $80/year to check out books, you get 1 book at a time for 72 hours from the minute you check it out, they're closed 4 days a week, and they charge $1/12hrs late - in late fees. All this because I can't have kids. If I had kids (enrolled in local public school or home schooled I could get the 'free' account which lets you take up to 18 books at a time keep them for 4 weeks and pay $0.10 per 24hrs late - days they're not open don't count toward late fees.

Because I don't have kids I'm forced to pay their exhorbitant fees or go somewhere else. I went digital. I get a mailed letter each month encouraging me to renew my membership with them and then they're talking about upping the fee for non-parentals to $120 per year and $4 in late fees per day late. EFF THAT.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Umm...ouch. My city's library is free and open seven days a week over the winter and sic days a week in summer. Books can be checked out for three weeks and the maximum fine is $5 per book. That may have gone up. I once returned books that were 25 years overdue and paid a $15 fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
William Kent Krueger - Windigo Island, 14th in the Cork O'Connor series at least until the new Lee Child gets here.
Edit: It's out so Lee Child - Personal, 19th Jack Reacher.

Last edited:

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Libraries are cracking down on unreturned books. I remember in NY I had returned a book to a local library that was still using the stamp and card in the back of the book. I'd returned it, someone else 'borrowed' it but never got their name marked down as having taken it out. I got a summons to appear in court to buy a new copy of the book - which was a single copy at-a-time publishing deal so $350 per book. The judge accused me of having stolen the book because it was so valuable. I went back into the library and asked them to find the book. It was on the shelf, where it was supposed to be, having been returned by the next guy in line, who just failed to sign his name on the card. I had to miss work to go to court for the stupid book, I proved the book hadn't been my fault, and the guy who took it out without signing his name ended up having to pay MY late fees and the court costs.

Here if you're more than 28 days late (4 weeks) you get charged the full book price to your account plus late fees, even if you return it you're still responsible for the price of the book and the late fees. So half the time most people just keep the book and pay the fees.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@serenity219 I wanted to let you know, I finished Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara last night, in fact I stayed up later than I should have the last 2 nights to finish it. It starts out so slow, but the build up and the end is worth it. Book 2 - Cast in Courtlight seems a lot more lighthearted and does pick up somewhat where book 1 ended.

As for the difficulty with names I figured out most of them from a wiki about the series but if you have issues just giving the characters short-form names or nicknames to keep reading helps.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@serenity219 I wanted to let you know, I finished Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara last night, in fact I stayed up later than I should have the last 2 nights to finish it. It starts out so slow, but the build up and the end is worth it. Book 2 - Cast in Courtlight seems a lot more lighthearted and does pick up somewhat where book 1 ended.

As for the difficulty with names I figured out most of them from a wiki about the series but if you have issues just giving the characters short-form names or nicknames to keep reading helps.

I am going to have to go through my many boxes of books and pull that one out again. I know that I read the first one quite a while back. I think I picked up the second and third books when the library was having a used book sale. With my luck I will find all three in different boxes and they will be in the last ones I look through. It is a good idea to check the wiki as well as sometimes remembering who is who takes a lot of thought! I have actually been taking a break from reading this long weekend and have pulled out my Singer. I swore I would never sew again after I made the last rhythmic gymnastics costume for my daughter who is now grown and attending university in Toronto. But it was calling to me...and I can be selfish now and do it all for me.

Carla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anyone else deep into a good book?

My current read is: Shield & Crocus written by a friend, Michael R Underwood.
Though I have 3 other books I've started as well:
Charmfall by Chloe Neill
Break of Dawn by Chris Marie Green
Undead to the World by DD Barant

What are you reading?
Anyone else deep into a good book?

My current read is: Shield & Crocus written by a friend, Michael R Underwood.
Though I have 3 other books I've started as well:
Charmfall by Chloe Neill
Break of Dawn by Chris Marie Green
Undead to the World by DD Barant

What are you reading?
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just started the Game of Thrones Series. Love the show.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just started the Game of Thrones Series. Love the show.
Oh you are in for Robert Jordan style of punishment.
Started on the Dread Wind omnibus from Glen Cook.. Sweet bacon wrapped baby Jesus that is a mighty change of gear From the Black company, or his Garrett series.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I decided to finish out the long weekend with something light. One of my sister's co-workers suggested Rose Pressey so I found a couple books by her. The first one is called Forever Charmed and is definitely light reading.

Checking fictfact I see that there are a few books I want which will be released tomorrow. I guess I have to catch up on the Seanan McGuire as the eighth book looks to be out this week. I will be reading the third book in her October Daye series next. I will get to Michelle Sagara soon...maybe. The day is not long enough for all of the books I want to read.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Finished book 2 - Cast in Courtlight - much better book. Still long, but good. Reading book 2 in Jaye Wells Prospero series & the new October Daye book.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am listening to "Game of Thrones" audio book on my commute to and from work

Made it chapter 14 in 2 days out of 74 chapters! The book must be 4" thick!!!!! (guy reading makes it a very good story)

Zombiewoof

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
H.P Lovecraft, The complete fiction. I read a lot of Lovecraft when I was much younger. Now that I'm in my Fifties, it hasn't lost any of its allure.

Lorem Ipsum

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
"Dark Places", by Gillian Flynn, chapter 3. After reading the excellent book that my sister loaned to me, "Gone Girl", I had to read another book from this author. I have a soft spot for character-driven, psychological thrillers. What also initially attracted me to these two novels is that they are set in my home state of Missouri.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just finished Revenant by Kat Richardson. It has been awhile since I have read one of the Greywalker books and I found myself a bit lost so I may go back and read them all again.

On a side note, Frawg you are so gifted! I just checked out your shop and wish I could afford to buy every item in it for myself and my kitties!

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just finished Revenant by Kat Richardson. It has been awhile since I have read one of the Greywalker books and I found myself a bit lost so I may go back and read them all again.

On a side note, Frawg you are so gifted! I just checked out your shop and wish I could afford to buy every item in it for myself and my kitties!
Awww - I do take payments, and there's almost always a coupon or something happening. Currently I'm in need of getting the machine fixed to make more cat toys. Its having tension issues which give me tension headaches. LOL Because hand sewing 30-40 catnip toys at a time gets me to where I have no fingers left, and I'm so not a fan of hand sewing. Lately I've had zero time with work and other stuff "exploding" to get much in the way of new done. Just a mod pouch for a client and a special pouch for myself.

Oh I decided since the last time I read greywalker series was book 5 I really need to just go back and start over. I've had trouble getting through A Winter Long by Seanan McGuire now, but its not the book, I think its mostly that I'm just exhausted. If only sleep would actually happen then I'd have more energy to finish things.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Awww - I do take payments, and there's almost always a coupon or something happening. Currently I'm in need of getting the machine fixed to make more cat toys. Its having tension issues which give me tension headaches. LOL Because hand sewing 30-40 catnip toys at a time gets me to where I have no fingers left, and I'm so not a fan of hand sewing. Lately I've had zero time with work and other stuff "exploding" to get much in the way of new done. Just a mod pouch for a client and a special pouch for myself.

Oh I decided since the last time I read greywalker series was book 5 I really need to just go back and start over. I've had trouble getting through A Winter Long by Seanan McGuire now, but its not the book, I think its mostly that I'm just exhausted. If only sleep would actually happen then I'd have more energy to finish things.

Mine (sewing machine) was having the same problem. I watched every YouTube video on troubleshooting Singers and I think I figured it out. But since it has been awhile, I seem to have forgotten everything I once knew and am at the beginner level as far as sewing goes.

I am on the third Seanan MacGuire (Toby Daye series) but I set it aside because I wasn't focusing on it at all.

I bookmarked your store website and liked you on facebook so I can keep up with what is new in the store and any specials. I may have to pick up a Christmas present for myself.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have started Visions by Kelley Armstrong. So far it is really good. I liked Omens quite a lot so have been eager to read the second in the series.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have started Visions by Kelley Armstrong. So far it is really good. I liked Omens quite a lot so have been eager to read the second in the series.
Have you ever ready any of the series by Jennifer Armintrout? The very first one she came out with I loved and haven't finished it, I should go back.

I've been plugging away at Cast in Secret - book 3 in the Cast series, love the revelations that are in this book so far, but the 45 minute chapters are killing me, especially when there's no good breaks for thought or anything so you have to finish a chapter or get lost when you restart.

Finished the "Winter Long" by McGuire - if you're wondering about open ended storylines in the series - don't, she does tie some of them up...eventually.

Some of my favorite authors need to write faster, and keep up with the series they have open, rather than writing 3 new series (Devon Monk).

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have you ever ready any of the series by Jennifer Armintrout? The very first one she came out with I loved and haven't finished it, I should go back.

I've been plugging away at Cast in Secret - book 3 in the Cast series, love the revelations that are in this book so far, but the 45 minute chapters are killing me, especially when there's no good breaks for thought or anything so you have to finish a chapter or get lost when you restart.

Finished the "Winter Long" by McGuire - if you're wondering about open ended storylines in the series - don't, she does tie some of them up...eventually.

Some of my favorite authors need to write faster, and keep up with the series they have open, rather than writing 3 new series (Devon Monk).

I have read a few books by Jennifer Armintrout. I have enjoyed everything that I have read that she has written. I picked up the Lightworld/Darkworld series. I know I have read the first book but once again that was several years ago and I will have to read it again before working through the rest of the trilogy.

And yes, some writers need to write faster. I think Yasmine Galenorn has a new one coming out next week. I think PC Cast has one coming out in October. I look forward to both but wonder when I will find the time. (Then again, if we hit the -45's of last winter I will be inside snuggled with a cat, a blanket and a book.)

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Finished book 3 in the Cast series by Michele Sagara. The series gets better, but also more involved. I'm really trying to hit my year goal of 85 books read so I'm switching to things that are easier to read than those but I do plan to finish the series. I've been reading Sandra Hill's Cajun & viking romances. Uh the excuse is I needed to laugh.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Right now, I am reading the latest Yasmin Galenorn "Priestess Dreaming." I also picked up the latest PC Cast which is next on the list. Oh and I think I just bought the latest Eileen Wilkes Lupi series novel. I took a break and for some lighter reading went through the first eleven books in Heather Graham's Krewe of Hunters series. Light reading because it took me just over a week to go through them all. Of course we did have a long weekend so I had an extra day to relax and read.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Mostly I look at books with dirty pictures colored in crayon.

Wait a minute, that is my personal diary and none of you business you vaping FREAKS!:eek:

Whoops, it seems my meds and shock treatment is overdueo_O

Actually, I am reading hard bound actual books with paper and everything with no pictures (crayon or otherwise).

The Dean Koontz "Odd Thomas" series.

Very thought provoking.

While completely fictional, Mr. Koontz has a way of driving you to personal introspection.

Or in my case mining boogers and playing with my naval.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've also been reading "Don't Hurt People & Don't Take Their Stuff," by Matt Kibbe. Non-fic isn't my forte, and I've been stressed so it's mostly light reading, this is on the list for work break readings.

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I swear incident reports are my work break reading...I have to get them off to social workers in a timely manner and am constantly chasing after people to write them and then rewrite them because they either make no sense or are illegible. I think that is why I read voraciously at home.

JPop

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sacre' Bleu by Christopher Moore

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@JPop oh do tell me when you finish what you think. Moore's one of my favorite authors - if you haven't also read FOOL by Moore. I've read that one 3 times.

I've been trying to hit my goal of 85 books for the year and am on "Touch of Power" by Maria V Snyder. Great book even if it's YA aimed, Snyder is a superb storyteller. I might finish this book today.

JPop

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I loved Fool. Moore has been my favorite author ever Since I read Practical Demonkeeping years ago.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm three ahead in my quest to 85 by end of year and beat last year by 2 so far.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am starting book 2 of the 5 book series in audio book Clash of Kings (Game of Thrones series) the HBO series cuts ALOT out of the books, but for the most part follows the books very closely

It's amazing how much more relaxed I am after listening to an audio book rather than the radio on my drive to work...

serenity219

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm three ahead in my quest to 85 by end of year and beat last year by 2 so far.
That is great! It means something when you reach a goal you have set for yourself. I am taking a hiatus from reading. Anything I pick up looses appeal before I get to the end of the first paragraph so I have been doing other things. I did pick up the latest by Nalini Singh this week and I think one other although the title has slipped my mind. It is rare for me to get like this. I can devour several novels in one weekend and right now I don't want to look at a book. It has been almost a week since I have read anything.

db3

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Anyone like end of the world stories? I am reading 'The End is Now', a collection of short stories. It is the second book of a series of 3 collections, the apocalypse triptych - the first book 'The End is Nigh' was good, and third hasn't been released yet, 'The End has Come'. It is a pretty neat idea where most of the stories are from the same authors (some top tier genre writers) and from book to book they go through the before, during, and after various end of the world scenarios. Most of the stories are good (some duds, as any anthology is bound to have). Fun and entertaining.

nogalesvape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im on my 3rd reread of ice and fire by george rr martin, the first read was for the superficial plot, the second for the hidden plots and nuances,... and this third read is just in case i missed anything

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Currently on "Discount Armageddon" by Seanan McGuire. Very very different from the Toby Daye series, I needed lighthearted funny after this last week. This book fits. I also acquired "Younger Gods" by Michael R. Underwood, who used to live near here & who we hung out with a few times. Loved his other books, not sure if I'm going to be disappointed by this one.

db3

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Im on my 3rd reread of ice and fire by george rr martin, the first read was for the superficial plot, the second for the hidden plots and nuances,... and this third read is just in case i missed anything
Glad I'm not the only one who has reread these multiple times.. your 4th time will be "just because" :)

Currently on "Discount Armageddon" by Seanan McGuire. Very very different from the Toby Daye series, I needed lighthearted funny after this last week. This book fits. I also acquired "Younger Gods" by Michael R. Underwood, who used to live near here & who we hung out with a few times. Loved his other books, not sure if I'm going to be disappointed by this one.
I keep meaning to read Geekomancy, just haven't gotten to it, yet.

I started Stephen King's new book, Revival, today. So far so good. He's been a guilty pleasure of mine forever now (although, I guess I never actually feel guilty about it).

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I keep meaning to read Geekomancy, just haven't gotten to it, yet.

Geekomancy was excellent. Book 2 in the series not so much. The other new book he had out in May was awesome but different for me (more sci-fi than paranormal fantasy).

This new one isn't getting great reviews and I've had too much personal life drama to want anything not hilarious right now.

jovial_evil

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not reading anything at the moment, but favorite is On A Pale Horse, by piers anthony. (incarnations of immortality series)

I have to reread the swg operations manual by next Thurs. annual testing to keep my gas card so I can continue to locate their plant.

RichS

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just finished, Before the First Shots are Fired: How America Can Win or Lose off the Battlefield. by General Tony Zinni, every once in a while I sneak in a little reality.

ChiggyVonVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well at this moment, I am reading this thread.As for books I am currently reading Starship troopers: the book written that the movie is loosley based on pretty much the only commonality between the book and movie is the title.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
vm2-thumb.jpg

VU Sponsors