Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, it's a bit late, but got around to making a sandwich with that KC BBQ I'd made.

Not a Z-man sandwich exactly, but a version of it. ;)

It's got the meat, some leftover sauce + Scorpion pepper sauce on a Brioche bun, Habanero Pepper Jack cheese, and organic crispy onions. Simple is good. :D

Tried to get a "pretty" photo, it wasn't happening....

P1060737.jpg

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Flour. Water. Salt.

5dJjXdu.jpg

O2XVHLZ.jpg

T9YAJYF.jpg

AycB1rD.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got in a new food box...kinda interesting this time.
Some of the same old things, but also new stuff I think I'll like using. :)

IMG_1288.JPG

Still, an odd assortment of things...you probably wouldn't want to actually live off of just this stuff. 🤔

Last edited:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Local food banks I think.
It's a 55+ building and a most of the people here are on SS or Disability of some kind...so low income.

I never signed up for them or anything, they just have a list and bring them.
I need to get into something like that. I'm 61, and we just got new neighbors upstairs from me with REALLY, REALLY, REALLY LOUD KIDS. And the landlord ain't doing shit about it, even though I've been living here longer than anyone else in the building (9 years now).

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I need to get into something like that. I'm 61, and we just got new neighbors upstairs from me with REALLY, REALLY, REALLY LOUD KIDS. And the landlord ain't doing shit about it, even though I've been living here longer than anyone else in the building (9 years now).
Well, older folks have their own dramas....the guy upstairs seems to fall down a lot, neighbors to the side have DV episodes and yelling matches, etc. There are some fucked-up ppl here...drugs, etc.

I lived in two rather large 1BR apartments in the last 22 years...now I got this 565sf "1BR" apartment...it's quite a change.

But, I have more money after bills now...and a $40-60/mo electric bill don't hurt.
I can't get priced out of THIS apartment, like i had happen for the last two.

It's always a tradeoff....

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
20240217_123819.jpg

Seasoned up one of those thin Angus patties, then cut in half and shaped into hotdog size.. I get two from one patty.

Also make a salsa fresco with jalapeno, cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, dash of hot sauce, and a squeeze of lime. Gonna be fun with smoked Gouda...😎🏁👍

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not cooking per se, but a little hack to help me maintain space in my small fridge. :)
I do downsize leftovers as I use them up into smaller containers, but one thing that is large and kinda in the way are eggs. I downsize those too though...

Like this:

P1060741.JPG

Usually after about four eggs used up is a good starting point. I cut next to the nearest divider so it's still strong, but I gain several inches of wasted space.

Burnie

VU Donator
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not cooking per se, but a little hack to help me maintain space in my small fridge. :)
I do downsize leftovers as I use them up into smaller containers, but one thing that is large and kinda in the way are eggs. I downsize those too though...

Like this:

View attachment 213036

Usually after about four eggs used up is a good starting point. I cut next to the nearest divider so it's still strong, but I gain several inches of wasted space.
When I get to just one dozen, it's time to get another couple of 18 packs, I eat 60 to 70 eggs a month, so I keep a place on the shelf just for eggs.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got the 7-Pot Primo stuff in just now!!! 🌶️😄👍🔥
Direct from the original source: https://www.primospeppers.com

The powder..it's actually more red like the sauce...my lighting sux.

20240221_114617.jpg20240221_113458~2.jpg

Ya know how when you shake a hot sauce bottle and there's a bit left in the cap?

I ate it....then I used the moist fingertip to get a bit of the powder to have the full range of flavor and heat.
The sauce is 92% peppers, but the powder is 100%...just pure powder.

Woweee....love the flavor...for a few seconds...lol!
Very intense initial sinuses affect, sweating, the urge to cough/sneeze, then the burn goes off....as Scorpion peppers do, it hits in the chest a lot...compared to the Ghost pepper types that slam the back of your throat.

This does it all.

That was like 20mins ago now and just fading a bit...blows everything else I have out of the water.🔥😛🔥

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
DIY burgers, not for the money savings, because there isn't much savings when you use organic products. I did a search to find out what fast food places, if any, would lay claim to clean, organic, free range, free of seed oils. I found only one in the whole country, and they don't have an outlet where I am, and even they didn't say "no seed oils" or "no high fructose corn syrup".

Fast food is for when you're hangry hungry and in a hurry. You don't want to drag out the ground beef, form it into patties, cook them, cut up your toppings, get out the condiments. You want to remove the wrapper and eat hot food.

So here's what you do.

I used Thousand Hills 85/15 patties. A two pound bag comes already made into patties, and per pound it hardly costs any more than conventionally raised beef, except for those super cheap tubes of ground beef that you're not sure whether or not they contain mRNA and ground up babies.

How you make your burgers will depend on how you like your burgers. I like mine with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos instead of pickle, and mustard. I don't ever buy or make cheeseburgers, because meat and cheese together seems to me like a protein glut and a waste of money, but you can do whatever you like.

You let the patties cook your onion and jalapeno. I usually like sliced onion, but I had some green onions headed toward rot, so I cleaned those up, slivered them down the middles, then cut them across. Then trimmed, seeded and slivered some fresh jalapenos. No need to grease the baking sheet. Those 85/15 patties will give off plenty of lube. Salt and pepper the veg well, which will salt and pepper the undersides of the patties. Then the patties go over the veg. Again, these patties come already formed. Salt and pepper the top sides generously.

Onions jalapenos on sheet.jpgBurgers on top.jpg

The patties are too big. You can break off a third of each one, and use each two spare thirds to form into another patty, which makes four into six, but I just let them cook, then cut off a careful third of each and push each two thirds together.

All done.jpgDone cut.jpg

Of course you're going to have the first one hot and fresh with slices of good organic tomato, crunchy lettuce and your choices of spreads, on the best organic bun on the planet, Dave's Killer 21 grain & seed, or your favorite organic bun. The other five burgers go into buns as is, with just the grilled onions and jalapenos, to be wrapped and refrigerated or frozen until the next time you want something delicious FAST, at which time you re-heat one and add the rest of your fave burg toppings.

Daves Killer buns.JPGOn buns.jpg
Stock photo of the buns.

So the effort of making one meal makes six meals, and you get a clean, organic burger, free of seed oils, glyphosate and the other harmful junk you don't want.

Bon appetit.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made a lovely batch of pour-over coffee today.
We're having a USA-made spacecraft land on the moon today...so I wanted something special. :)

No, you don't need a fancy device...you could probably use the carafe of your drip coffee maker, or w/e.

I use the same $9 Melitta cone as they did, with regular cone filters. I do rinse them as they do to get rid of the "paper product" smell...not a good flavor. It also helps seat the filter into the cone.

However, I grind the beans myself by hand in a conical burr grinder so it's the correct grind everytime.
It has to be a medium sort of grind...the particles dictate the flow-though rate. Too fine, and it'll bog up, too large and it's a sieve...not getting enough brewing done.

Water temp is important too.

I've experimented with my 1998 USA-made Panasonic 1100W microwave and a thermometer, and for me at my 60ft above sea level altitude, 4mins is good for making 4cups of water about 190F. I use dark roasts, so a wee bit off of 200F works for me. YMVV...

Just look at the crema/bloom and richness of this batch of pour-over coffee I made today.
It's a 75/25 blend of Black Stag's "Brace For It" and Peet's Major Dickason's beans.

Makes me happy....
animated-coffee-smiley-image-0015.gif

20240222_110530~2.jpg

20240222_112514~2.jpg

No, the coffee isn't grungy, that is the 30yo container...stained with years of use. I have two, one I keep pristine just for heating water and measuring things, the other is for brewing. It just happens to fit the Melitta cone filter perfectly.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SHATTA SAUCE RULES!!

I always wanted to try this, but have never found any locally, nor can you just go to a store and buy Kashmiri peppers. ☹️

IMHO...it's far better than the now unobtainable Sambal Olek that I loved. It's fricking fierce!

Made in Turkey. Legit hot.

And I found it at the Dollar Tree for $1.25. 🤑

20240223_155421.jpg

20240223_155655.jpg

20240223_155948.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On a similar theme, I made up some "seasoning salt" out of my 7-Pot Primo powder and plain 'ol sea salt.
Approximately 1 part of pepper powder to 2 parts salt.

IMG_1292.jpg

Just opening the reused shaker jar without a mask makes me sneeze...lol...but, now I can use it more on things. Like pain-flavored potato chips...;)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
While I'm on a roll....I made a Beermosa.
Yes, a Beermosa is a thing, Google it...I did...😜

Screenshot from 2024-02-23 17-54-21.png

I have now perverted some Donald Duck OJ....it's pure juice from concentrate and no HFCS.

A. It's delicious.
B. Got both the OJ and the nice pebbled finish 25oz 'glass' from Dollar Tree. It's comfy and doesn't sweat.
C. Definitely going to Disney hell. :devil:

20240223_173638~2.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
NASCAR Cup racin' today at Atlana...I decided on making some sliders.

Used a couple of those big/thin Angus patties, seasoned 'em and cut into quarters. A bit small, but they'll do fine...I don't eat much anyways.

Sharp Velveeta slices and Habanero Jack cheese, a hot relish of sauteed jalapeno \ onion \ bacon, a swipe of Best Foods mayo for a bit of richness and so the saute stuff won't soak the buns.

That's about it. :)

Crappy pics....I was in a hurry. knife_fork.gif

P1060749.jpg

20240225_122354~2.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made a nice ramen for brunch today.

Made the ramen in bone broth with a bit of leftover "sludge" from the burgers for flavor.
Added chicken, Mid Pac Foods 5-spice, stir-fry vegetables, cabbage, peppers/onion, ginger/garlic, sesame oil, chilli oil, chilli paste, hoisin sauce, Vietnamese fish sauce, mushrooms, etc... 🍜😀👍

20240226_085848~2.jpg 20240226_090939.jpg

I don't think Mid Pac even makes this anymore, my bottle is ancient. A pinch goes a long way. ;)
But, it has ingredients that most others don't have...a unique flavor....and only five ingredients as is proper.

P1060750.jpg

Just nice comfy food on a chilly day.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday I made an experiment for breakfast-lunch, which became a mad crave so I had it again for dinner. Now I have to get more ingredients to make it again and again.

Mixed wild caught tuna with kimchi and mayo. That's it. Mixed it all up, enjoyed it on multi-seed crackers. I did have to chop down the big pieces of kimchi to more manageable size for mixing in.

I forgot to take pics. As soon as I get more tuna and kimchi I'll make it again and show it here.

Tuna has always been rocket fuel for me.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Speaking of tuna, thought I'd drop this here in case anyone is interested. A list of some of the healthiest fish according to one site, but other lists seem to include most of the same fish. Of course wild caught is always better than farmed, and there are some concerns regarding mercury levels even in some of the fish on this list. For tuna I've read that skipjack tuna is the safest from a mercury level standpoint. Most canned "light" tuna is skipjack., canned "white" tuna is generally albacore which has higher mercury levels.

1. Sardines
“Sardines are one of the healthiest fish to eat because they’re very high in omega-3s,” says Gomer. “Sardines are eaten with the bone in, so they have calcium, and because they’re so little, they haven’t had a chance to acquire mercury,” she adds. Sardines are inexpensive and can be purchased in a tin in water or olive oil, with or without salt, says Gomer.

2. Mackerel
Mackerel is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. As an oily fish, mackerel is also a good source of vitamin D. Fried mackerel is higher in carbohydrates and sugars but lower in protein than canned, grilled, baked or broiled mackerel, according to data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

3. Anchovies
Anchovies are another type of fatty fish that are high in omega-3s. Anchovies provide large amounts of calcium, phosphorus (a mineral needed to make energy in the body) and potassium.

4. Salmon
A popular oily fish, salmon is chock-full of nutrients including omega-3s, protein, potassium, vitamin D, vitamin E and several B vitamins. Tinned salmon contains bones, which is an added source of calcium and phosphorus.

5. Herring
Herring is another oily fish that is an excellent source of omega-3s and vitamin D, as well as selenium and vitamin B12, a vitamin essential for the body’s central nervous system health and for making white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets. “The advantage of herring is that it is a wild caught fish (not farmed),” says Gomer. “The other huge advantage is that the issue of wild caught fish with mercury is much less of a problem in small fish (like sardines and herring).”

6. Trout
Trout is another oily fish that’s high in omega-3s and a good source of vitamin D, as well as potassium and phosphorous. Fried trout has higher levels of fat and carbohydrates and less protein than when grilled or steamed.

7. Tuna
Although not an oily fish, tuna is still a healthy choice thanks to the omega-3s, iodine and taurine (an amino acid that contributes to cellular structure, controls bleeding, reduces blood pressure and more) this fish contains.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That $5 bacon and jalapeno pizza I'd gotten had an accident....it fell out of the freezer and broke in 3 pieces. 🤬

But, it's rising crust...so it'll fix itself.

Topping were scrambled all over, had to sort it all out and reassemble it.

Added sausage and Hatch Chile Flakes too....'cuz I can.

Worked out nicely, methinks. 😎

P1060760.JPGP1060757.JPGP1060753.JPG

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday I made an experiment for breakfast-lunch, which became a mad crave so I had it again for dinner. Now I have to get more ingredients to make it again and again.

Mixed wild caught tuna with kimchi and mayo. That's it. Mixed it all up, enjoyed it on multi-seed crackers. I did have to chop down the big pieces of kimchi to more manageable size for mixing in.

I forgot to take pics. As soon as I get more tuna and kimchi I'll make it again and show it here.

Tuna has always been rocket fuel for me.
Dollar Tree....product of Korea. They also have organic wild-caught tuna.... ;P

Attachments

• 20240228_202344~2.jpg
    20240228_202344~2.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 3

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A new clean ramen summary because of tons of new products:

I know we love those packaged ramen with the packets of dust and flakes, going back to early adulthood and college because they're cheap, tasty, easy and fast, but I posted some DIY ramen efforts last July and August in this thread, not for calorie savings, and certainly not for money savings, but to make ramen organic and more nutritious than the packet product, and better tasting.

It started with Koyo, the first organic ramen I saw on the market, not bad, and just as easy as any ramen packet:

koyo.JPG

Then cheaper with organic angelhair pasta, sometimes called capellini if you're looking for it, as fast cooking as ramen:

Organic angel hair.JPG
Then more nutritious with better ingredients than the flavor dust and flakes:

Broccolini, pineapple, peanut butter powder (reconstituted), spices:

Broccolini PB pineapple.JPG

Extra note: the peanut butter from powder is very low in calories, less than half the calories of regular, with no sacrifice of flavor or texture. I use PB2 organic.

Red curry ramen with spiky red chilis, green onion, basil:

Red curry ramen done.jpg

Beef broccolini ramen, vegan chicken ramen:

Beef, vegan ckn.JPG

Peanut butter (reconstituted powder), snow pea w/ jalapeno and onion:

PB Ramen.jpg

So I've got the craving again, and wow are there lots of new organic noodles in the stores. You can always find organic bouillon powders, flavor pastes, or use canned organic soup, or make your own flavor combinations.

Taks ramen base palate.JPG

But these are the great new things I brought home.

Oceans Halo 1.jpgNew organic noodles.jpg

Without tasting these noodles yet, what I like is the measured feature. The Oceans Halo are in four packets inside the box. The long straight ones are in measured bundles inside the package. You decide how much makes a meal or snack.

Oceans Halo 200 cal. per individual packet
Hakubaku Ramen 200 cal. per bundle
Hakubaku soba 202 cal. per bundle
Koyo soba 260 cal. per bundle
Koyo udon 270 cal. per bundle

I think this is the first organic kimchi I've ever seen. The label says "sauerkraut kimchi", and the cut is sauerkraut, but the flavor is kimchi and it is HOT. The ingredients say "cabbage", not the usual napa cabbage or bok choy. It has bell pepper second on the list. I don't think I've ever seen bell pepper on the kimchi ingredients labels, but it works with the regular cabbage and spices to make it taste like other kimchi products. I'm sold for now. Unless another organic kimchi comes into the market, with the traditional ingredients and cut, will buy this again.

Org kimchi, Tom yum.jpg

The Tom Yum paste ingredients are lime juice, galangal, gluten free soy sauce, shallots, lemongrass, Himalayan pink salt, red chilli, coconut sugar, kaffir lime leaves.

Other things to drop into ramen:

sesame seeds, toasted or not
baby spinach leaves
basil leaves
sliced or minced onion, sauteed or not, or sliced green part of long green onions as topping
grated carrot
crushed garlic
lime juice
dash of soy sauce or tamari or fish sauce
chili oil
rice vinegar
pinch of ginger powder or some fresh grated ginger
kimchi

Some people put sliced boiled egg on top, or crack in an egg to soft cook while the ramen is hot.

I tend to think of ramen as mostly vegetarian except for chicken or beef broth, but your imagination rules when it comes to adding stuff: bonito flakes, leftover shredded chicken or chopped beef, or whatever tastes good to you.

Bon appetit.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dollar Tree....product of Korea. They also have organic wild-caught tuna.... ;P

Yes sir! I like shopping the oddball food selections they get at Dollar Tree, Big Lots, the 99 Store and places like that. Dollar Tree does currently have wild caught tuna, 1.29 for a 2.5 oz. packet:

plain light
lemon pepper
spicy Thai chili
roasted garlic & herb
sun dried tomato & basil

wild caught pink salmon too

It makes me want to get over there and buy a bunch, but I just brought home tins of wild chunk albacore, wild light skipjack, and a Wild Planet brand tuna with chorizo spices.

But I don't see that tinned kimchi on the Dollar Tree website right now.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes sir! I like shopping the oddball food selections they get at Dollar Tree, Big Lots, the 99 Store and places like that. Dollar Tree does currently have wild caught tuna, 1.29 for a 2.5 oz. packet:

plain light
lemon pepper
spicy Thai chili
roasted garlic & herb
sun dried tomato & basil

It makes me want to get over there and buy a bunch, but I just brought home tins of wild chunk albacore, wild light skipjack, and a Wild Planet brand tuna with chorizo spices.

Ya, I never use their website, it's never up to date on actual stocks in a store.

Found these, I'd posted them before...either dollar store or maybe from grocery outlet?

001980502-1

Pretty simple plain noodles. No seasoning packet. 8oz worth. Ya can Instacart it with EBT even.

I've never worried much about organic Kimchi...it's a simple naturally fermented product IMO.
You can make it in your sink like every Korean gramma does...using whatever you like or can source.
That particular recipe is rather involved, but there are many on that website. Nicely organized by food type, lots of pictures and video tuts too.

I like using this as a bit of a shortcut:

20240302_151838~2.jpg

Red Donkey brand. Legit stuff.
It's from Taiwan, it's an essential thing for Kimchi/Ramen, and my cookery in general. :D

I'm used to having a massive Asian store near me the size of a Safeway. Hell, I had a gallon jar of authentic Korean Kimchi. Had to leave it behind as it wouldn't have survived the 400mi+ trip here in a U-haul in near 100F temps. So, now I gotta look harder...not many Asian stores here. :(

FWIW, a simple search for Organic Kimchi: https://www.startpage.com/do/search?sc=EhehGojiqiZg20&query=organic+kimchi&cat=web&qloc=eyJ0eXBlIjogIm5vbmUifQ==

:)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
NASCAR Cup Series racin' at Vegas Baybee!! :D

Screenshot from 2024-03-03 14-54-25.png

Buffalo Chicken strips and Heavy Duty Waffle Fries are go....
With a DIY Russian dressing styled dipping sauce.

20240303_133444.jpg

20240303_140459~2.jpg

(One side got a spicy seasoning, thus the different color.)

Chicken and Tators...that's just classic stuff.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

plain light
lemon pepper
spicy Thai chili
roasted garlic & herb
sun dried tomato & basil

FWIW, I was mistaken...I looked at receipts and it was Grocery Outlet Kimchi in that tin.

Pretty decent stuff though for a buck and change. :)

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FWIW, I was mistaken...I looked at receipts and it was Grocery Outlet Kimchi in that tin.

Pretty decent stuff though for a buck and change. :)

I have found that tinned kimchi before at HEB, but it isn't that cheap there. I pick it up when I see it, for my prepper supplies, but it's not 1.29 there. It's along the lines of 50 cents per ounce, which is still way cheaper than Mother in Law kimchi (fave brand) at around a dollar an ounce.

But I'll still seek out the organic as long as it remains on the market, to keep pesticide residues out of my diet.

This is such an adorable video about making tons of kimchi at home. It's from six years ago, but I love it.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have found that tinned kimchi before at HEB, but it isn't that cheap there. I pick it up when I see it, for my prepper supplies, but it's not 1.29 there. It's along the lines of 50 cents per ounce, which is still way cheaper than Mother in Law kimchi (fave brand) at around a dollar an ounce.

But I'll still seek out the organic as long as it remains on the market, to keep pesticide residues out of my diet.

This is such an adorable video about making tons of kimchi at home. It's from six years ago, but I love it.

Cute... :D

This is the gal from the site I'd linked to:

There's a billion vids on kimchi..lol

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Wow! That's a lot of work.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow! That's a lot of work.

It sure is. I'm not even contemplating trying that. Even if I had a huge pantry, some buckets and an extra big sink, I still wouldn't do it and it doesn't look like it would even save much money. In that vid, the girl's mother is helping her, and the mom is from Korea, where, as Caff mentioned, making kimchi is as ordinary as it is for some of us DIY people to can tomatoes or make and can soups and stews, or for other cultures, grinding wheat into flour or smoking a ham. I'm not going to do those things either.

A thing I don't understand is the fetish for keeping part of the stem end on the napa cabbages. You'd think it would be easier to toss and coat all the leaves in the salted water, then in the peppery coating, than try to open up the cabbages with stems on, and get everything between all the leaves.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Well, without an Asian market nearby...there are online options, but most are spendy though. I use EBT for foods, even on AMZ if it qualifies, but otherwise...

If you have Prime, here some ideas.

on sale..$7 for 1lb jar
https://www.amazon.com/FARMHAND-ORGANICS-Organic-Live-Kim-Chi/dp/B07BLY3J4W/

More here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=organic+kimchi

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Beautiful day out today for a change, took a bus and did a little shopping at the Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Home again....Milly was napping on the back of the couch.
She was happy to check out the new smells...😸🛒

20240306_141434~2.jpg

Found these...fresh De Arbol chilies. Pretty rare to see them not in a dried state in a regular grocery store.
Awesome rich/earthy/spicy flavor for stir fry, pilafs, salsas, pureed for spicy ketchup or mayo....great with eggs, etc. Like a Serrano flavor kinda, but hotter. A staple for Mole and other sauces. :)

20240306_145942.jpg20240306_144145~2.jpg20240306_144125~2.jpg

Ate one...regret that now ..these are actually HOT...🔥😅🌶️

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Omygawd, 7.00 for a 1 lb jar, stupendous. Of course it was sold out by the time I got there, but I put it on my Amzn shopping list for when that company gets another batch made. I could have used my gift card balance to get three pounds.

😿
Bummers...

This is their website: https://www.farmhandorganics.com/

I believe Whole Foods carries it too.
I did a quicky search on Instacart and got these results for organic kimchi: https://www.instacart.com/categorie...1043-condiments/1054-kimchi?nutrition=organic

Ya don't have to order from them, but perhaps some ideas?

There are other brands of organic kimchi on AMZ too...I just thought that one seemed a good deal.
Everything can be found online these days. :)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All this Kimchi talk got me hungry... :D

So, I made a mish-mash of a cottage cheese salad with some.

P1060765.JPG

It isn't particularly pretty after mixing it all up, but it has spinach, large curd 4% cottage cheese, smoked ham, Tillamook sharp cheddar, tomato, onion, half a jalapeno, a couple chopped queen green olives, some Kimchi, a swirl of Sriracha, grinds of prickly ash and black pepper, and a dash of poultry seasoning.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

FWIW, I found this recipe for that Mother in Law kimchi...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ah, I love the Internet...:D

I clicked on that article, read stuff...then saw at the bottom a link to this:

I love Saki, but had never heard of Soju. Learned things.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, I am going to be making this dressing later. Since I will be making only a small salad and refrigerating the rest to use over the next few days, I'm wondering what would be the best way is to heat up just the portion I intend to use at each meal? The directions for the full amount are to heat it in a small skillet until it starts to simmer then immediately pour over the salad, but that seems inefficient when only using a small amount.

Warm Maple Dressing
1/3 cup avocado oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Make the warm maple dressing:
Combine oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, honey, paprika, salt, and pepper in a lidded glass jar. Process with an immersion blender until well combined, about 30 seconds, or seal with lid, and shake vigorously.

To Make Ahead
Dressing can be made up to 5 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in refrigerator. Heat dressing just before serving.

VU Sponsors