Become a Patron!

WELLON STAN Pod Starter Kit

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Stan Pod Starter Kit from Wellon. The Stan Pod Starter Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by James from Wellon.

https://www.wellontech.com/product/stan/

Introduction

Wellon are a relatively new Vaping manufacturer who entered the vape game just as the pod systems trend was starting up so have naturally concentrated on this area of the market. They brought us the Ripple followed by the Lux and here we have the Stan their third pod system. The Stan is a tubular shaped device, lightweight and has a rubber paint finish (apart from the Silver version). With a 650mAh battery, duck billed mouthpiece on the pod for comfort and having 3 voltage settings, the Stan has some interesting features. The pods have a top-fill system and fit into the device via a magnetic base, with a physical fire button which also allows the device to be turned on and off the Stan is definitely worth a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1x STAN Battery
2x STAN Replaceable Pods
1x Micro-USB Port
1x Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Stan came in a very good quality cardboard box and overall is well packaged. I received the Blue version and some extra pods, it's also available in Silver, Black and Red. All colours are made of Aluminium Alloy with a Rubber paint finish (apart from the Silver which has no rubber paint) which is done very well, it's tubular shape and rubber texture finish makes it a very nice device to take out and about and just stick in the pocket when not using. Just the mouth section of the pod protrudes out of the top of the battery and is a duck billed shape and solid Black. On the front of the device we have the Wellon logo printed and "STAN" printed on the reverse. Also on the front we have a Black translucent pill shaped physical button towards the top, finally the round base is Black to match the duck billed mouthpiece and positioned centrally is the micro USB port. Overall the Stan is a sleek aesthetically pleasing device which is very comfortable to hold and operate.

Stan Specs and Features:

Dimensions: 16 x 100mm
Battery Material: Aluminium Alloy(Rubber paint)
Pod Material: Food-grade PCTG
Battery Capacity: Built-in 650mAh
Juice Capacity: 1.0ml
Coil Resistance: 1.6ohm
Coil Material: Nichrome/Cotton
Charging Time: 1.5h
Three Power Level Indicator: Low(green light), Middle(blue light), High(white light)
Duck-billed mouthpiece with a lip curve on it, fit your mouth perfectly
Magnetic Connection Between Battery and Pod
Large one button for easy operation
Multiple protections ensure safe vaping
Colours: Silver, Black, Blue, Red

The Pod

The Pods are almost like a small diameter tank with their cylindrical shape and are only slightly tinted so your e-juice level can be easily seen when filling but this doesn't help much while vaping as only the Solid mouthpiece protrudes above the top of the battery. The mouthpiece pulls off but needs enough force that it isn't just going to come off on it's own accord and this reveals a flat silicone section with 2 filling ports so air can escape from one while filling using the other. The ports are small so i found for a mess free experience i needed to put e-juice in a needle nose bottle first which is no great hardship as i have plenty of both 10ml and 15ml needle nosed bottles and that gives a fair few fills but an empty needle nose bottle included would of been a good move. Their are 2 cutout sections on the perimeter of the fill section and when you look at the underneath of the mouthpiece we can see 2 corresponding notches and 2 plugs that will sit deep sealing very well but also explaining why a good tug is needed to remove it. In theory i like the top-fill method as you would think you would be able to fill without removing the pod from the device but in practice the strength of tug needed to remove the mouthpiece removes the whole pod from the device and you need the pod to be removed anyway to see the juice level when filling. Looking at the flat base of the pod we can see 2 contacts and 2 magnets, the pod holds 1ml of liquid which doesn't sound much at all and a big pro (especially in the current market where only including one pod as become the trend) you get a spare pod. Finally the pod houses a 1.6ohm Nichrome coil wicked with organic cotton.

Fitting The Pod

Looking inside the tubular pod bay it looks very neat and tidy with 2 contacts and 2 magnets to correspond with the ones on the bottom of the pod. Their is very slight movement with the pod when inserted but not of any great concern, the pod can be removed very quickly and easily (which is needed to check your juice level) but the magnets are strong enough that the pod does not come out during use or when in the pocket etc, quite happy!

Operating The Stan

The Stan is a pod device with a physical fire button which also allows you to switch between voltage modes and turn the device on and off. The Stan is the usual 5 clicks to turn on and off and once on 3 quick clicks changes to the next voltage setting which is indicated by the LED lighting up in the corresponding colour. When pressing the fire button to vape the LED also lights up in the colour of the voltage setting you are using so a massive con for me is the fact the device has no battery status indication whatsoever which might not be a big deal to some people but it is something i believe is a must on this type of device. The 3 voltage settings are just given as low, medium and high which are indicated by the LED lighting Green, Blue and White, although on the device i used it went in the order of low, high then medium (Green, White, Blue). As expected the Stan has all the usual safety protections that if they need to kick in are indicated by various flashes of the LED.

Protections

10 Seconds Cutoff
Short Circuit Protection
Lithium Battery Protection
Low Voltage Protection

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

My Experience Using The Stan

The draw is quite airy but is MTL rather than DL and it gives a very saturated vape full of flavour which impresses, however it is let down a bit as there seems to be a slight mismatch between the draw and the power output even when on the White (high) voltage setting. The different voltage settings give only subtle changes with the 1.6ohm coil and only really noticeable when going from low to high and for me i had it on high permanently and still felt a bit more power for the quite open draw would be better. After saying that with high mg nic salts the lower settings might well suit some people better and i much prefer a pod system with different settings rather than just power straight from the battery. Although as mentioned the power is just slightly on the weak side for the draw the vape is instant when pressing the fire button allowing for short stealth vapes and long pulls does produce decent cloud. With the top-fill design their is no issues with leaking and the mouthpiece is one of the most comfortable ones i have come across. The device is very pocket friendly and the rubber paint finish feels really nice. Most of what i found with the power and draw is quite objective and i can see some people will like the easy low power draw the device gives and the saturated full of flavour vape the Stan produces should be to most peoples liking. The main issues i found with the device is the non existent battery status indication and the fact the pod needs removing from the device to see your juice level. The pod only holds 1ml of liquid and despite the device being very efficient with your e-liquid (1ml went a surprisingly long way) i found myself every couple of minutes pulling the pod out to see how the juice level was. The battery life was really good and lasted much longer than i expected but then it's a 1.6ohm coil and although their is no specs i suspect all 3 voltage levels are quite low, it took 1.5 hours to charge which is fair enough and does support pass-through.

Sleek looking device
Pocket friendly
Nice Rubber paint finish (except Silver version)
Ergonomic
Physical fire button
3 voltage settings with indication
Device can be turned on and off
Leakfree top-fill
Very comfortable duck billed mouthpiece
Nice loose MTL draw (objected)
Saturated vape full of flavour (flavour is impressive)
Efficient on e-liquid
2 pods included
Good battery life (get good value for the 650mAh battery)
Pass-through

Cons

No battery status indication
Felt a mismatch between draw and power output (felt it needed just a bit more power)
Pod needs removing to see juice level
Small fill ports
Only 1ml capacity

I would once again like to thank James from Wellon for supplying the Stan Pod Starter Kit for the purpose of this review.

https://www.wellontech.com/product/stan/

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This information was forwarded to me from another reviewer:

FYI there is a major and even possibly unsafe issue with the coils that also makes it impossible to give good flavor and even possibly harmful. I reported this back to them via my review and got this response from them.

"This is shameful for us, I also tested it here, the same problem. We have decided to send them back to the supplier and never have any cooperation with them again. At the same time, we sourced a new supplier for ceramic coil, I have tested it (burn it with fire, boil it, scratch it), its stable. No complaints but thank you for let us know the big issue. "

VU Sponsors