Become a Patron!

Well, a kid finally blew his face off.

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Folks, this is why you don't use tanks or rda's without protruding rigid center pins on hybrid mechs:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2479197/alberta-teen-injured-after-he-says-e-cigarette-exploded/

Tl;Dr: Teen buys hybrid mech setup with tank from local store. Mod blows up in his mouth.

So many levels of fail here. Presumably under 18, never used tobacco, buys a completely unsafe setup from a b&m who is apparently negligently clueless, blows up in kids mouth while riding in mom's suv....

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

(I wonder what cell was inside.)

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This are the kid of shit that makes VAPING a bad name, why the hell manufactures still produce hybrids, just stop the fuck up

Vape On

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If that guy (kid?) walked out of a vape store with a hybrid mech and a subtank on top of it, it's on the shop for that one.
He was 16, and I agree, if the store sold them that setup then they are 100% liable here imo.

It is common knowledge in the industry that hybrid mech mods require an atomizer with an extended center pin that will not depress when pushed. It's also common knowledge that most tanks on the market do not meet this requirement, and therefore should not be paired with hybrid mods.

The store should have known better. Hopefully they have good insurance.

My biggest question, and concern, was what brand and model cell was being used inside that mod. I can pretty much guarantee it wasn't an appropriate LG, Samsung, or Sony based on the description of how it vented. Almost definitely a rewrap, and an unsafe one at that.

The way it vented sounds very much like an icr chemistry battery, most of which are completely unsafe for vaping just for this reason. If the store sold him that battery people need to be asking questions. If it was an icr cell labelled as an icr cell then the shop should have absolutely known better than to be selling them for vaping purposes. If, however, it was an icr cell with a wrapper claiming to be imr/inr or other safe chemistry then the supplier and "manufacturer" should be held accountable for deceptive labeling (which is a criminal offence) as well as civil damages.

I've vented safe chemistry batteries before and there is little fanfare. They pee electrolyte solution from the top of the cell. That's about the size of it. Icr cells on the other hand often just violently explode, something I've luckily never witnessed first hand.

Point being,maybe this incident could be used as a catalyst for truth in battery labeling.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does Canada even have an age minimum for e-cigs? Was he at least blowing clouds?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This story loads for me and the other wouldn't.
It also at least names the mod and the youtube vid shows the subohm tank on the mech.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ce-on-fire-e-cigarette-blows-up-in-teens-face

Look at how the Dad was all there at the sons rescue.
Where the fuck was Dad when his SIXTEEN YEAR OLD KID was buying and using this mod?
I place part of the blame on dear old Dad because you can tell by the video that he knew his son who is a never smoker was vaping.
If he didn't know he sure as hell would have mentioned that fact in the clip.

The mod was a Wotofo Phantom:

wotofoxe-jpg.39654

Anyone want to take a wild guess as to what went wrong?

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone was more vested in getting merchandise out the door than reading up on what causes said merchandise to explode in customers' faces?

That's where I want to go with it automatically. It could be the customer, ran in to find a replacement mod and was upsold a hybrid (y'know, cause "it's what the pros use") - not telling the clerk that he was intending to use a .5 Kanger head on the other end of it. Or, even giving more benefit of the doubt, brushed off the "whatever you do, only use things with adjustable connections!" warning as bullshit and thought he'd kick his Subtank into hyper mode.

What it all boils down to, is that someone didn't do their homework. Either the customer or the vendor, but someone let the kid throw that on there. Not everyone is going to take a super-deep interest in the hobby, but ... I kind of want to (at the very least) lean the responsibility on the vendor. If you're selling someone something that has a greater potential for failure than regulated versions of that kind of item, you need to know about that. It's kind of your job, if not specifically the clerk, the owner/manager/person in charge of informing the Pretty Faces on how not to get sued into Fire Sale territory.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This story is entirely full of fail...

1. A non-smoking kid wants to vape.

2. A store sells him (or his apparently-approving dad) gear.

3. That gear is a motherfucking hybrid mech - I don't even use the things, and I know there are a lot of people here that hate on me for advising new users to avoid them, but I still firmly believe they're for experienced users only (as are all mechs, for that matter).

4. Apparently appropriate cautions were never issued or, if they were, they went unheeded.

5. I can all but guarantee there was a shit battery involved (for reasons @Droogbc adequately covers).

6. Dad was watching his non-smoker kid vape?!? With friends?!?

Sad, but not in the least bit unanticipated outcome.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I Read this somewhere else and it makes a lot of sense.

"In the comments it seems word around the Lethbridge vape community is it was a Wotofo Phantom, aspire Atlantis and the battery was an efest. Word is the battery was already venting and he didn't realize or know and proceeded to fire it again"

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wotofo has a warning on their Phantom page about not using it with the Atlantis tank.

"Please note: The Phantom's optional hybrid top is an Atty-to-battery option for advanced users only. You must pair it with an adjustable center pin atomizer with long 510 threading! Do NOT use something like the Kanger SubTank / Subtank Plus / Subtank Mini / Subtank Nano or the Aspire Atlantis with this mod. These do not have adjustable threads and can cause the battery to fail and vent."

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/phantom-mod-by-wotofo.html

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My guess is he was using the optional, atty to battery connector, He screwed in the Atlantis in a couple times damaging the battery, damage eventually causes battery to vent, battery went above 140 degrees, spark, thermal runaway, bang.

With that setup, he wasn't pulling over 14 amps max. Probably not a load failure. I think it is going to turn out to be a damaged 18650 failure caused by screwing the atty center connector into the battery.

Why is probably not going to matter after the media spins it. I hate it that it looks bad for vaping.

And I hate it that a kids life is changed forever for the worse, no matter the reason.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
My guess is he was using the optional, atty to battery connector, He screwed in the Atlantis in a couple times damaging the battery, damage eventually causes battery to vent, battery went above 140 degrees, spark, thermal runaway, bang.

With that setup, he wasn't pulling over 14 amps max. Probably not a load failure. I think it is going to turn out to be a damaged 18650 failure.

Why is probably not going to matter after the media spins it. I hate it that it looks bad for vaping.

Your guess is the only probable answer.
It's the hybrid adapter on a mech that causes at least 85% of all 18650 venting disasters

The Atlantis' 510 positive center pin terminal sits almost flush with the outer threaded negative.
This causes the Atlantis to touch both the positive and negative to the top positive battery terminal at once.
Dead short then BOOM.

it's almost always a mech with a hybrid top cap and a sub ohm tank (usually the Atlantis)

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This happened not too far from here. In another report, the father stated the kid never smoked.

Probably was a shit batt, Definatly was an Atlantis.

I called the shop that sold it today but they wern't answering the phone.

The shop is:
The Greatest Vape
738 23 St N, Lethbridge, AB T1H 3S7
403-359-8002

Here is a video on the event, shows the mod:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2479197/alberta-teen-injured-after-he-says-e-cigarette-exploded/

Bad batt, stupid people, whatever, we need to do better. I personally think the parents should be charged with child abuse for allowing, much less buying the kid that setup.

The shop should never have sold it to them. The shop I normally frequent won't sell to minors, and although they carry mechs, they are responsible who they sell them to.

A friend of mine I took there with me, asked to see a mech, and the staff said "Sure, but I won't sell you one, I don't know enough about how you vape, and don't know your face".

My friend ended up leaving happily with a subtank mini starter kit, and is off the stinkies.

He's an electrical engineer, not a 16 year old kid. I appreciate that sort of committment to safety.

This afternoon, I even had some random chick stop me while I was walking the Pup, and having a vape, to warn me that "those things explode", " I saw it on the news" Thankfully Puppy employed her wolfy ways and beguiled her long enough she missed her bus and had to listen while I explained the facts to her. I also thanked her, for her concern.

Aspire states that the Atlantis is not to be used on a mech, why won't people learn.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really hate seeing these young kids vping and I can't imagine why any parent would allow it....The human brain doesn't fully form until you're like 25...the centers that make connections betweeb cause and effect haven't fully developed....we all can tell stories of doing stupid shit at that age it is unrealistic to assume a 16 year old boy is going to take the precautions to inform himself with safe vaping, and I guess it's unrealistic his god damn parents are going to inform themselves of it either...I also can't understand how any vape shop lives with themselves selling any vape gear to a minor.....vaping was designed to be a tool to get people off smoking not a god damn hobby for adolescents to fuck around with......

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so are electrical outlets unsafe, and should they be outlawed because kids stick forks in them and their god damn parents are out to lunch.

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another idiot story making headlines, adding even more fear about vaping. For the average sound byte consumer, there is little to no information about the lives that are being saved by vaping. Sad.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A lot of stupid people you don't hear about blow off body parts for stupid reasons, but only when it's vaping related it becomes news.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A case of irresponsible parents and irresponsible B&M IMO.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Most parents don't know half of what their kids are doing.

The fact that it did happened to him had nothing to do with the fact he was young, just ignorant.

B&Ms have no business selling vaping gear to non smoking kids and kids have no business buying them.

B&Ms need to be supervised to make sure they sell safe gear and pass on the proper info.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Most parents don't know half of what their kids are doing.

Unless they buy the gear for their 16 year old. The father who does not vape considers himself quite an expert on the issue.

Follow up: called the shop, they did not deny selling the stuff to the kid, but would not elaborate.

The father denys purchasing the gear, but allowed its use. The father also says the kid bought it on his own, and that he is having trouble finding a lawyer... Poor Dad.....

http://lethbridgeherald.com/news/local-news/2016/01/28/exploding-e-cigarette-leaves-teen-burned/

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is sure horrible but statistically speaking how many Mods of any type actually go critical.. I from first hand experience have had a DNA 30 melt in my hand and give me 1st degree burns so from a logical standpoint it was not a mechanical Mod.. This just happens its plain and simple.. Its battery technology. Anyone that has been aroun for awhile and has worked on a car knows the danger of Batteries.. I have had them explode spew sulphuric acid etc.. This is just a unfortunate accident and nothing more... Sadly this is just more ammunition for authorities to use to make more laws and in the end get that much closer to a police state..

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is just a unfortunate accident and nothing more..

I disagree. It IS something more. vape shops should not be selling ANYTHING to a 16 year old kid. Period. Much less a combination of gear that shouldn't be sold to anybody, much less a noob.

Its not a police state to require that ecigs be only sold to adults. plain and simple to use your words.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I disagree. It IS something more. vape shops should not be selling ANYTHING to a 16 year old kid. Period. Much less a combination of gear that shouldn't be sold to anybody, much less a noob.

Its not a police state to require that ecigs be only sold to adults. plain and simple to use your words.
So ban all Mechanical mods? or would you suggest a training class that people sit down to.. Or maybe it would be bes for peopl to take accountability for their own purchases? The point because you missed it is Battery technology in itself can be very dangerous.. Nothing more

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So ban all Mechanical mods? or would you suggest a training class that people sit down to.. Or maybe it would be bes for peopl to take accountability for their own purchases? The point because you missed it is Battery technology in itself can be very dangerous.. Nothing more

Ban all mechs? If you think I said that you are mental. My point, is that children should not be sold ecigs.
Is that so hard to understand? What part of what I wrote about the parents, and the store's need to act responsibly confuses you?

Or is it your assertion that if we don't allow children to buy vape shit we are a police state?

The point because you missed it is Battery technology in itself can be very dangerous..

I take that as a given. "Like Front Toward Enemy" on an M18. Claymores can be dangerous as well. I'm not suggesting they be banned, I like them a lot.

Its not a "police state" because its unlawfull to sell explosives to children. You are not holed up in Oregon are you?

Oh wait. I did miss this. Explains a lot..

quote="MrScaryZ, post: 909522, member: 1164"]I from first hand experience have had a DNA 30 melt in my hand and give me 1st degree burns[/quote]

Top Tip: Next time, let go of it.

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ban all mechs? If you think I said that you are mental. My point, is that children should not be sold ecigs.
Is that so hard to understand? What part of what I wrote about the parents, and the store's need to act responsibly confuses you?

Or is it your assertion that if we don't allow children to buy vape shit we are a police state?

I take that as a given. "Like Front Toward Enemy" on an M18. Claymores can be dangerous as well. I'm not suggesting they be banned, I like them a lot.

Its not a "police state" because its unlawfull to sell explosives to children. You are not holed up in Oregon are you?
Accordign to your logic Battery technology i a given but using a Mechanical Mod is not? Make sense!!

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Make sense!!

Do you think children should vape? It is beginning to seem that either you are incapable of comprehending that if vape gear is not sold to children this won't happen, or, you think that if we don't allow vape gear to be sold to children, we become a police state?

I have a mech, someplace, where have I said mechs should be outlawed? Logic?

Are you sure you even know what thread you are posting on?

What exactly have I written that you disagree with? (feel free to use quotes) or do you just vaguely disagree in principle because.... Police State!!!! WTF?

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Guys, guys, guys.
You both have good points.

Yes, it is an unfortunate accident, yes, the owner should accept responsibility for their lack of knowledge. It's nobodies fault but their own that they didn't look into proper usage of a mechanical mod. But batteries venting from improper usage isn't exclusive to miners. This might be one of the few stories about it that I have seen so far actually. Most have been adults so saying that banning sale to minors will stop people from incorrectly using mechs is a longshot.

At the same time, yes, it should be illegal for miners to purchase vaping stuff.
It is a nicotine product and miners vaping is the key thing that anti-vape groups use and most *responsible* parents wouldn't allow their kid to consume nicotine products (in the US at least). I say *most* because I've met parents who funded their kid's vape habit to get them off other things they shouldn't have been doing as minors, which in my opinion is being responsible as well.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you think children should vape? It is beginning to seem that either you are incapable of comprehending that if vape gear is not sold to children this won't happen, or, you think that if we don't allow vape gear to be sold to children, we become a police state?

What exactly have I written that you disagree with? (feel free to use quotes) or do you just vaguely disagree in principle because.... Police State!!!! WTF?
I disagree with nothing.. I am fishing for your line of thought. Its called Debate. I am still trying to figure out how the age of selling a device has anythign to do with the danger of an item?? If the father purchased this for th kid an its legal in his/her state to vape/smoke under that states law and he blows off his face. Is it then the fathers fault?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Depends on legality and do not attack me I have not attacked you yet.. Are you familiar with the theory of Retribution?

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
At the same time, yes, it should be illegal for miners to purchase vaping stuff.
It is a nicotine product and miners vaping is the key thing that anti-vape groups use and most *responsible* parents wouldn't allow their kid to consume nicotine products (in the US at least). I say *most* because I've met parents who funded their kid's vape habit to get them off other things they shouldn't have been doing as minors, which in my opinion is being responsible as well.

The facts:

From the father

The kid never smoked

The kid bought it on his own

The father knew the kid was using it.

From the vape store

They do not deny selling the gear to the kid

Had a store not sold the gear to the kid, and-or the father had been an actual parent, there likely would have been no incident.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The facts:

From the father

The kid never smoked

From the vape store

Had a store not sold the gear to the kid, and-or the father had been an actual parent, there likely would have been no incident.
I agree 100% I was thinking more in the line of the whole issue not this individual event... It may have happened anyway though that was my point.. No matter who purchased this .

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The facts:

From the father

The kid never smoked

From the vape store

I am aware of all that. lol
Wasn't trying to argue with you or anything.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Folks, this is why you don't use tanks or rda's without protruding rigid center pins on hybrid mechs:

Tl;Dr: Teen buys hybrid mech setup with tank from local store. Mod blows up in his mouth.

So many levels of fail here. Presumably under 18, never used tobacco, buys a completely unsafe setup from a b&m who is apparently negligently clueless, blows up in kids mouth while riding in mom's suv....

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Efest.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Guys, guys, guys.
You both have good points.

Yes, it is an unfortunate accident, yes, the owner should accept responsibility for their lack of knowledge. It's nobodies fault but their own that they didn't look into proper usage of a mechanical mod. But batteries venting from improper usage isn't exclusive to miners. This might be one of the few stories about it that I have seen so far actually. Most have been adults so saying that banning sale to minors will stop people from incorrectly using mechs is a longshot.

Christ canadiastan has under aged miners?
I thought they had underage labor laws.

Oh you mean minor.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the fucking father is supposed to be a parent....looking after his kid supposedly teching his kid things like being aware of risks, and being responsible for his own saftey and not relying on the word of some duffus making minnimum wage in a vape shop....Dad is not taking the least bit of responsibility for this incedent....

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the fucking father is supposed to be a parent....looking after his kid supposedly teching his kid things like being aware of risks, and being responsible for his own saftey and not relying on the word of some duffus making minnimum wage in a vape shop....Dad is not taking the least bit of responsibility for this incedent....
But he was being a good father, teaching his underage son how to blow clouds and do vape tricks...

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Banning Children completely seems more appropriate...they are the ones doing all the dumbshit and leaving others at blame...I say ban all them fuckers!

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Banning Children completely seems more appropriate...they are the ones doing all the dumbshit and leaving others at blame...I say ban all them fuckers!

I agree in principle. In actuality though, it is far more difficult. My friend for instance, child proofed his home, and three months later, one got in.

A more subtle, indirect approach is required. I've already created several registered charities toward this goal.

Take a Wish Foundation:

We purchase wishes granted to terminaly ill children from their parents, and redistrubute them at a profit to healthy, but wish deprived adults.

Unitheft

Sort of like a Cyber-Fagan in Oliver, we outsource various acts of theivery (parents credit and debit card info etc) in exchange for Toys R Us gift certificates.

DAMM ( Drunk Drivers Against Mad Mothers )

What are those little fuckers doing out on the street at 03:00 on a school night anayway you fucking bitches?????

I'm also wotking on serveral childrens books. Working titles are:

Mommy Drinks Because You Cry

Why if Suzy Had Been a Good Little Girl Mommy and Daddy Would Still Live Together

Why Your Mean Parents Hide the Best Candy in The Medicine Cabinet

The day Mr Fork met Ms. Wallplug

Looking for an illustrator to collaborate with on these....

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
"You, all right?! I learned it by watching you!"
Parents who vape have children who vape...

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

LOL I know what cell WASN'T inside!
To be honest, I can't lay any blame at all on the merchant except for not ID Carding this teen. (and he was 16 at the time) beyond that, vape shop personel provide information on request or as a free service to the public. The better retailers will make sure the customer knows how to use the mods. BUT... it is NOT up to them to do this kids homework for him. The kid was to lazy to do his research, he didn't ask, he sneaked into the vape shop, even though he knew he was under age, purchased an advanced mod he knew nothing about, used a sub standard cell and the wrong kind of tank. Do I feel bad for him? NOT ONE TINY BIT. I consider him lucky.. a few 2nd degree burns and cracked teeth.. but he didn't get blinded. And then there's DAD... crying out against ecigs. I suppose it is the parental thing to do. No father wants to tell the world that he has stupid offspring. It's called natural selection buddy... it's what happens when you don't kick genetically inferior offspring out of the den when they are born. Since you didn't eliminate the stupid genes from your family tree, it is up to you to teach the slow witted ones about learning before doing and taking responsibility for his own actions.

I vape at a very low resistance. If my mod goes pop.. is it the ecigs fault? NO.. its my own fault. It is up to me to make sure it does not go pop and what to do it the battery starts to vent.

No sympathy from me.. If this kid wants my sympathy, he can find it in the dictionary.. right between Sh*t and Syphilis.

VU Sponsors