Become a Patron!

Watch out for the "Pity poor me" Threads

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Very interesting. Should we allow her to explain herself or let it be? What do you think? @Whiskey

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe we should let this incident alone, only because its over now and what started as a thread to warn folks about things like this happening it turned to brand one sole member, lets just learn from these types of things and move on and look out for each other and for signs of someone trying to pull a dishonest stunt and hope we can all learn from it and other things like this. Vape on fellow vapers!!!!!:):)

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks

blow-kiss_zpsdxio5ncx.gif

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My radar activates anytime there is a sob story, a tragic accident, or a theft where the thief stole the mods and attys, or the person is so poor they can't afford a cheap ego and ce5, but can spend $10/pack for smokes per day. The local gas station has ce5/ego starter kits for $12 with a bottle of crap China juice. And those kits include the wall plug charger.

D

Donald Bickers

Very interesting. Should we allow her to explain herself or let it be? What do you think? @Whiskey
I personally don't think we should ask her anything,we should just let it be,but on the same hand,i think its sad the way some people conduct themselves in this manner,and ruin it for people that really do need our help,it makes their chances slim to none !!!!!

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I personally don't think we should ask her anything,we should just let it be,but on the same hand,i think its sad the way some people conduct themselves in this manner,and ruin it for people that really do need our help,it makes their chances slim to none !!!!!
Agreed, it's unfortunate to live this way, but it's necessary to be a constant skeptic. I was leery of that one individual from the get go, I've been here from the start almost, and I just can't imagine asking for anything for free. I was very tempted to raise some questions In the initial thread, but kudos to you whiskey for passing along hardware, regardless of the truth of the situation. Really kind of you. It smelled like b.s. To me for some reason, but I'm not one to call someone out if I'm not sure of it, based on a hunch.

I don't even borrow money from friends. If I found myself unable to vape for whatever reason, I'd stop, and if I had to stop for financial reasons, I wouldn't be able to order Snus or buy cigs, so I'd presumably just go without, and get over it.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I took it as, she had already been vaping and wanted to try out mech mods. Here's the original thread. She never once said she was down on her luck, only said she wanted to "try a mech". Mentioned much later in the thread about bills stacking because of a part time job, yada yada... unrelated to the mech. She has also participated in PIF. Trying to be fair here, since I see no malice in this particular situation.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I took it as, she had already been vaping and wanted to try out mech mods. Here's the original thread. She never once said she was down on her luck, only said she wanted to "try a mech". Mentioned much later in the thread about bills stacking because of a part time job, yada yada... unrelated to the mech. She has also participated in PIF. Trying to be fair here, since I see no malice in this particular situation.
Fair enough to give it up, why am I still mentioning it? Lol. I just have to say I was skeptical from the start, and a bit put off due to the complete opposite nature of my character, asking for something at all, let alone in a place you are new to. Then, the mention of bills at all, and subsequent threads about many new vaping devices and tools etc just made me skeptical. Nobody was harmed, I think whiskey was happy to help, and hopefully I'm wrong. I will eat my words if I am.

All I know is that it's taken me a long time to fight my tendency to trust until it is lost, rather than require it be earned. I feel it's a cold way to live, always requiring people prove themselves through action, but so often, if you trust first, the proof in action will be negative. One of the many unfortunate ways of the world. People are always looking to screw each other over.

I'll shut up now, but we all need to keep our eyes open and be aware. Seems we have vendors screwing us over more and more now, too. I really need to hop in the PIF section, too. I have some juice that's never getting vaped by me barring extreme emergency. I've been too lazy, and that's not cool, either.

D

Donald Bickers

Fair enough to give it up, why am I still mentioning it? Lol. I just have to say I was skeptical from the start, and a bit put off due to the complete opposite nature of my character, asking for something at all, let alone in a place you are new to. Then, the mention of bills at all, and subsequent threads about many new vaping devices and tools etc just made me skeptical. Nobody was harmed, I think whiskey was happy to help, and hopefully I'm wrong. I will eat my words if I am.

All I know is that it's taken me a long time to fight my tendency to trust until it is lost, rather than require it be earned. I feel it's a cold way to live, always requiring people prove themselves through action, but so often, if you trust first,the proof in action will be negative. One of the many unfortunate ways of the world.

I'll shut up now, but we all need to keep our eyes open and be aware. Seems we have vendors screwing us over more and more now, too. I really need to hop in the PIF section, too. I have some juice that's never getting vaped by me barring extreme emergency. I've been too lazy, and that's not cool, either.
im in PIF 5.0,come on over and conversate with us
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/pif-box-5-0-is-alive-list-full.46344/page-128#post-387570

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I grew up in a small town, so my first intro to homeless people was around age 14 when we took our 8th grade trip to Washington DC. This would be 1989-ish...before they cleaned up the streets.

Holy crap.

EVERYWHERE we went, the streets were lined with street beggars, and it didn't matter that we were just kids, we got panhandled just the same. Actually, we were probably bigger suckers than the adults because most of us dropped change in as many cups as we could. We had stopped somewhere along the sidewalk, and actually saw one guy fold up his little area, walk around the corner, and drive away in a very nice car.

Turns out, some of them make a damn good living on the streets. In good spots, it's easy to earn several hundred dollars per day.
You should see downtown Detroit...cant walk down the street without getting hit up by at least 2 beggars per block...true story...

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's always fun to read a pity thread when it's the posters first post. Really?
I seen a person on this forum beg for a mod. It seemed like a few weeks later they were bragging about all their latest purchases.
I see people on vape shows beg from time to time..usually for juice, but I saw one beg a host for a mod and get one....then the person begged for batteries for it as well....some time later the same person won a Provari on a show....the next day the person was begging for another mod on a show because they "needed it"...some people who saw the Provari win called the person out....shameless and pathetic...a known moocher...

Last edited:

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh yeah, we have had our share of those here, and most members seem to be able to tell the difference between someone in real need and the moochers.
Thanks for sharing the link, those stories sound way too familiar as of lately.
I followed that thread too and noticed that SmokyBlue pulled back her pif shortly after some other posts were made by the person in question and then she nudged Smoky in the thread to send it out...

Last edited:

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As someone who has been pifed a few things I will say in my personal situation I use these items daily and am very grateful to those who were willing to share the wealth so to speak. This thread has kinda opened my eyes a bit tho. Seems there are some people who immediately just assume that everyone's a giver, and that just because someone has like 5 mods they can spare one and some tanks whatever. I feel a little guilty now myself for having been given a mod (that I'm using now actually), but then I realize that the kindness of others will reward them in the future. Unfortunately there are always those who choose to abuse people's kindness. Those are probably the same people who live off the government but drive a brand new suv and all their kids wear affliction shirts and new Nike's. Unfortunately there are always those who abuse the system.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As someone who has been pifed a few things I will say in my personal situation I use these items daily and am very grateful to those who were willing to share the wealth so to speak. This thread has kinda opened my eyes a bit tho. Seems there are some people who immediately just assume that everyone's a giver, and that just because someone has like 5 mods they can spare one and some tanks whatever. I feel a little guilty now myself for having been given a mod (that I'm using now actually), but then I realize that the kindness of others will reward them in the future. Unfortunately there are always those who choose to abuse people's kindness. Those are probably the same people who live off the government but drive a brand new suv and all their kids wear affliction shirts and new Nike's. Unfortunately there are always those who abuse the system.
I think that the issue here has more to do with how the people are asking for things, particularly people with no history on the forum/reddit. Combined with the fact that things are getting bad with scammers all over now, be it members on forums/reddit, vendors, and viewers of shows over on vapers.tv and vulive, etc...

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I know this issue is bad everywhere u go unfortunately, online garage sales, Facebook whatever. We had a girl here a few yrs back who was engaged to active duty military guys and stealing from them. Had done this 2 or 3 times. Don't remember the entire story, I'd have to Google it. Some people will unfortunately go to any length to get something for free, regardless of whether it's moral or not. Those of us who are truly caring people who 'help' those who ask unfortunately get burned and aren't going to help anyone else who may legitimately need a pick me up. That is very understandable and I agree that if I got burnt I'd be very Leary of helping anyone else out ever again. However, I guess we all need to just use our better judgment and figure out what we feel is legit and what isn't. Most often times those who don't ask for help are the ones who need it the most. Were it not for vu and my family I'd probably be nicotine less and my wife would want to kill me lol. I'm grateful for that, I just wish people would quit being beggars all the time.

ghost62

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been hit twice by scammers, not online, but out in the real world.
I do some volunteer work and PIF my old/extra stuff to residents at the facility but my supply never keeps up with demand so I end up buying cheapo starter kits for those that can't afford them.
That gets expensive so I DO solicit from friends in person, but never online.
To me, that's tacky.
I recently purchased some things from a member here and pm'd her asking if she had anything else to sell. When she found out why I was asking, she gave extra items.
Heck, I still felt guilty about her refusing to let me pay- some people, however, have no qualms about just taking and taking.
Two weeks ago, I scraped together a kit for one of the new residents (had to buy a charger, juice and heads out-of-pocket. The twist battery and Evod tank were from a friend who had outgrown them) because he came in with 'Just the clothes on his back'. He said he didn't have any family and all his friends had turned their back on him. That's all too true in many cases, but this guy was an absolute, shameless liar.
It took a couple days to get the stuff together but when I went to deliver it, he was bragging to some of the others how he had four different b!+@?&s 'on the hook' buying him stuff and the shoes he had on cost more than my first car.
Turns out, he did have family and they were supporting him with cash, clothes, incidentals... and his 'b!+@?&s' were sneaking him in cigarettes and other contraband.
Needless to say, I busted him out to his counselor and gave the gear to someone who DID need it.
Guys like that really piss me off but the ones that genuinely need it are so very grateful and moved that I gotta continue even if I do get burned on occasion.
I've just learned to be a little more careful is all.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I give away free shit I always do it with the instruction to not sell it, either give it back or pass it on. I unloaded some older gear to a B&M, couple vamos, protank mini 3's, aerotanks. Stuff I don't need or use that has been collecting dust. I asked for nothing in return other than to give the items away to people who are interested in stepping up from ego's or are just starting up vaping. Was surprised to get an email from the B&M owner asking for my address so that he could send me "something in return". Which I did and got some pretty tasty juice that normally I wouldn't buy. Apparently one of the people that got one of the vamos I donated insisted on returning the favor, which I thought was hella cool for sure.

In the case of this authentic mod being given to someone and then in return sold. I know the argument has already been put to bed, but that's is a pretty shitty deal if you ask me. And to do it on the forum from which said mod was given? Some people just have no shame ....smh...

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ILL GIVE VAPE STUFF TO SOMEONE I KNOW OR HAVE NOTICED A "TRUE" (FOR LACK OF BETTER WORD) MEMBER HERE. WITH ALL THE REAL TROUBLES IN THIS WORLD, THERE ARE KIDS THAT DON'T EAT, HAVE CLOTHES OR EVEN A PLACE TO LAY THEIR HEAD. SO IF IM FEELING CHARITABLE, IM GOING TO MAKE SURE ITS FOR THE BETTER OF THE HUMANTIY, NOT SOMEONE WANTING VAPE GEAR.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
is that recyclable?

Heheh, I bet that it is. :D Also wouldn't surprise me that lots of folks who are gifted it
don't have the decency to recycle it when they toss it out.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
ILL GIVE VAPE STUFF TO SOMEONE I KNOW OR HAVE NOTICED A "TRUE" (FOR LACK OF BETTER WORD) MEMBER HERE. WITH ALL THE REAL TROUBLES IN THIS WORLD, THERE ARE KIDS THAT DON'T EAT, HAVE CLOTHES OR EVEN A PLACE TO LAY THEIR HEAD. SO IF IM FEELING CHARITABLE, IM GOING TO MAKE SURE ITS FOR THE BETTER OF THE HUMANTIY, NOT SOMEONE WANTING VAPE GEAR.
I second this. I think the people on here who contribute a lot can tell the difference. Also we all develop friendships and help each other out. I don't like the people who just sign up the day they ask for something.

autospa

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Yup saw that on Reddit yesterday. This guy is a major scumbag shit.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yup fell for something like that once....... once

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow , several days ago a friend of mine helped someone with a story suspiciously resembling the one from above. I hadn't paid much attention at the time, just though how good of a guy is my buddy, but it seems he got plucked. I will have to find a way to bring it to him as painlessly as I can.

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm just gonna say that even though I am aware there are scammers out there, I am not going to make it stop me from trying to help someone if I can.
Like everything else, you win some you lose some. I have a couple of dozen people who have quit smoking after setting them up with rigs. I also have many more that I never heard from again or who just continued to smoke and put the device in a drawer somewhere.

Just Me

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have helpped a few people myself usually people I know tho

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ive helped one co worker try to get off the cigs as shes pregnant (wasnt me)...I got her a Double kanger Evod starter kit like i started with with...The part that makes me sad is, i see with a cig more than i do with the evod kit and her offer to pay me back hasnt gone so well although i dont care really ...just wanted to give her a more healthy alternative for the 2 persons involved...One of which cant speak for themselves.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ive helped one co worker try to get off the cigs as shes pregnant (wasnt me)...I got her a Double kanger Evod starter kit like i started with with...The part that makes me sad is, i see with a cig more than i do with the evod kit and her offer to pay me back hasnt gone so well although i dont care really ...just wanted to give her a more healthy alternative for the 2 persons involved...One of which cant speak for themselves.
That stinks. My wife found it very easy to go cold turkey the moment she found out she was pregnant. Wasn't so easy to avoid them as soon as she wasn't but no questions or hesitations stopping during that time.

Reactions: Jah

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A few years ago, I gave a guy on a paintball forum a free marker, he told me his son wanted to get into the sport and he didn't have the cash to get him one. Few days later on a different forum, saw him selling it. Made me lose a little faith in humanity.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A few years ago, I gave a guy on a paintball forum a free marker, he told me his son wanted to get into the sport and he didn't have the cash to get him one. Few days later on a different forum, saw him selling it. Made me lose a little faith in humanity.
And people wonder why people are getting so guarded and "cold" nowadays.

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That stinks. My wife found it very easy to go cold turkey the moment she found out she was pregnant. Wasn't so easy to avoid them as soon as she wasn't but no questions or hesitations stopping during that time.
My wife did the same thing. It amazed me, i tried so many times a fell flat on my face (prior to ecigs). she quit the moment she found out about the first one, then started right back up after the birth and then with the second pregnancy she dropped them for good.
cold turkey quitting just punched me right in the face and she skated through...no fair

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My wife did the same thing. It amazed me, i tried so many times a fell flat on my face (prior to ecigs). she quit the moment she found out about the first one, then started right back up after the birth and then with the second pregnancy she dropped them for good.
cold turkey quitting just punched me right in the face and she skated through...no fair
CT is the only I have ever been able to quit, but when she finally decided to quit for good she had to use patches and it was a struggle in the beginning. It was just really weird how easy it was for her while being pregnant and then how quickly she started back up again.

VU Sponsors