vv vs vw

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can someone please explain to me in super simple terms what the difference is? Is one better than the other?

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like a lot of things vape. It comes down to personal preference.
Some folks like VV some like VW.
Therefore, I don't know if saying one is better than the other would be accurate.
Cause like Eric just said. it all gets you to the same destination.

I like watts because I relate watts to heat. So in my mind I'm basically just adjusting the heat when I raise or lower the wattage.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Both adjust voltage. Variable wattage takes the resistance of the atomizer into account.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VV changes the voltage to achieve the power you want. VW changes the power you want. they are two different ways to achieve the same thing, power.
I'm not trying to be critical, but VW does not change power. You set the power to what you want, and a VW mod adjusts voltage to achieve it ...
  • VV allows you to set the voltage that you want applied to the coil. Once set, it always sends the same voltage to the coil. If you set it to 3.6v, the coil will get 3.6v all the time.
  • VW allows you to set the power that you want applied to the coil. If you set it to 8W, the mod will supply whatever voltage the coil needs to produce 8W of power.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not trying to be critical, but VW does not change power. You set the power to what you want, and a VW mod adjusts voltage to achieve it ...
  • VV allows you to set the voltage that you want applied to the coil. Once set, it always sends the same voltage to the coil. If you set it to 3.6v, the coil will get 3.6v all the time.
  • VW allows you to set the power that you want applied to the coil. If you set it to 8W, the mod will supply whatever voltage the coil needs to produce 8W of power.
you can be critical but you just said what I said but with more words.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I like to think of VW as set it and forget it.

You can swap out tanks with different resistance coils and liquids and the device will automatically adjust to the new coil and deliver the same amount of heat.

Also the resistance of the coils will change over time as gunk builds up or the wire degrades and the device automatically compensates for that.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I like to think of VW as set it and forget it.

You can swap out tanks with different resistance coils and liquids and the device will automatically adjust to the new coil and deliver the same amount of heat.

Also the resistance of the coils will change over time as gunk builds up or the wire degrades and the device automatically compensates for that.
Agreed but not all mods regulate that properly. Even tho I love my istick different wattages for different ohms/resistance for the same results. It all boils down to finding a setting with any device that works best for u. Simple terms an ego twist battery may give u the perfect setting for u with the right tank/coil combination. From what I've gathered in my little experience its not nearly as much about what device you're using to push the atomizer but what atomizer is being pushed will determine what works best for u.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Agreed but not all mods regulate that properly. Even tho I love my istick different wattages for different ohms/resistance for the same results. It all boils down to finding a setting with any device that works best for u. Simple terms an ego twist battery may give u the perfect setting for u with the right tank/coil combination. From what I've gathered in my little experience its not nearly as much about what device you're using to push the atomizer but what atomizer is being pushed will determine what works best for u.

Good points:D

However, the Istick is known to have VW issues and the output depends on the state of charge of the battery. This particular device I would tend to use in VV mode. But for me I would only be using the Istick rareley and only for occasions when I need a small device for stealth vaping.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you can be critical but you just said what I said but with more words.
Eric, see your post below. There are major differences in what we said. Voltage is not the same as "power". Voltage is a measurement of potential expressed in volts. Power is a measurement of work expressed in Watts.
VV changes the voltage to achieve the power you want.
No... it doesn't. "Variable voltage" simply means that the user can set the voltage to their preference. When you set a voltage using VV, it will not "changes the voltage to achieve what you want". It will output that voltage no matter how much power the coil is using. If you set it to 3.6v under VV, it is going to apply 3.6v to the coil until the cows come home regardless of how much power the coil is actually using. It will not change the voltage at all. If the resistance of the coil changes while applying a constant 3.6v to it, it will result in the coil consuming either more or less power (wattage). A regulated mod will use its step up / step down circuit to adjust the changing battery voltage to that 3.6v setting (full charged battery = 4.2v - needs to be "stepped down" to 3.6v, battery partially drained to 3.4v will be "stepped up" to 3.6v).
VW changes the power you want.
Uh, no. The wattage setting that the user selects is the amount of power that the coil gets. It will not change. "Variable wattage" means that the user can set the amount of power to be consumed (turned into heat) by the coil. If you set the wattage to 8W, then the mod will change the voltage to ensure that the coil always consumes 8W of power.
they are two different ways to achieve the same thing, power.
Again, they are not.

VV is like putting a weight on the gas pedal of a car. The gas pedal is going to stay in the same position regardless of the vehicle's speed. If the car goes up a hill, it will slow down, if it goes down a hill, it will speed up.

VW is like using cruise control instead of putting that weight on the pedal. The amount of pedal will change to keep the vehicle moving at the same speed.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good points:D

However, the Istick is known to have VW issues and the output depends on the state of charge of the battery. This particular device I would tend to use in VV mode. But for me I would only be using the Istick rareley and only for occasions when I need a small device for stealth vaping.
This is EXACTLY how I use mine. VV mode when fully charged, and I keep it set to 3.0V. Once the battery drains a bit, I can change to VW mode, and set it to 5.6W or so and it will be fine (understanding of course, that it is 5.6W calculated using RMS instead of mean voltage resulting in a much higher actual wattage).

Last edited:

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What I don't understand is how someone thinks they can do vape gear reviews if they don't understand what the gear does. Comical.

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What I don't understand is how someone thinks they can do vape gear reviews if they don't understand what the gear does. Comical.
Are you talking about me?? If you are I really only do reviews on e liquids

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I only review people I am silently judging....

But yea, I like to think of VW as cruise control with VV as old timey driving.

VU Sponsors