Become a Patron!

VTR to katos mod help

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So my VTR crapped out back in august and I have decided I want to convert it to full mech like the katos mod...any ideas/ advice on it?

Kenneth98

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
These two seems like same.I want to see how you convert it . When finished, don't forget to show pic .;)

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I'm trying to figure out, mainly the bottom and how pin connects to 510...anybody got a pic of the bottom from inside?

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
seems to me you would need to replace the existing buttons, the fire button mainly, and use a mechanical switch style similar to the REO mod and rewire the positive side of the battery from the switch and rewire the 510 since everything originally was sent to the circuitry and out from the circuitry...
find the inside drawings from a kato and meld with a few tricks from the REO and you will be set...

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I've been trying to find, but the only pics I've found of the inside of a katos is one of the stock pics of it on fasttech

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You've got a job ahead of you. I run a Kato and I have experience with my gf's VTR. Strangely, I run my Kato regulated (kicked).

But ... here's a stab at a description of what's happening to bring the positive terminal to the top cap center pin. At the bottom of the battery tube, there is a metal bar which transfers current to the atomizer side of the mod. It is insulated from the body of the mod, and the center pin is a long copper screw which is threaded into the bar. I run my Kato with the positive pole facing the bottom of the mod which makes the body of the Kato my ground connection by way of the fire button. For my purposes, I replaced the long copper top cap center pin with a kick on the atomizer side of the mod.

HTH

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks :) that actually helps a lot dude, any chance you could snap a few pics I could use as a reference?

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is the long center pin and top cap for the Kato.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420019068.532893.jpg

This is the metal bar that carries positive from battery to atomizer side of the mod. You can see that the metal bar is isolated from the body by a plastic carrier tray. The long center pin would replace the silver screw if I was going to return the Kato to full mech operation.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420019097.087220.jpg

Finally, this is the body as viewed from the bottom. That long center pin would pass through the space being occupied by the Kick.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420019119.824028.jpg

Now, with all this typed out, I am expecting you will replace most of this with wire in a VTR. Wiring it up as a mosfet switched box seems your most direct approach.

Good tinkering.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awsome thanks :) and that's actually how I originally was gonna do it aside from the MOSFET but that was before I realized and understood why one was needed lol

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So my VTR crapped out back in august and I have decided I want to convert it to full mech like the katos mod...any ideas/ advice on it?

Might be less headache to just buy a Kato. I bought this one which is a Limwell. Very high quality, worked right out of the box. It was 39 dollars, but still a deal at 45.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Might be less headache to just buy a Kato. I bought this one which is a Limwell. Very high quality, worked right out of the box. It was 39 dollars, but still a deal at 45.
Yeah but I have a VTR that shorted and is now gutted, prolly end up buying one but I like to tinker and play around/build mods so it's more or less just doing it for fun

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah but I have a VTR that shorted and is now gutted, prolly end up buying one but I like to tinker and play around/build mods so it's more or less just doing it for fun
Oh you should tinker around and see how much work it would take to make it into a NAOS raptor vtr.

VU Sponsors