Become a Patron!

VTC4 or Samsung 25R

VTC4 vs Samsung 25R at .15-.3 ohms parallel box mod?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xblackwhitex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is it really worth trying to find some authentic VTC4's or should I just stick with Samsung 25r's? I don't plan on building lower than .15 -.3 ohms and it would be on a dual 18650 parallel box mod. VTC3/4 seems to be the only thing people recommend for anything.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Both are good.

But you might want to consider the LG 3000 mAh Brown Batteries.

They actually are rated at 2875 mAh but still beats 2100 or 2500 mAh!

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is it really worth trying to find some authentic VTC4's or should I just stick with Samsung 25r's? I don't plan on building lower than .15 -.3 ohms and it would be on a dual 18650 parallel box mod. VTC3/4 seems to be the only thing people recommend for anything.

In a mechanical dual parallel box you're splitting the current draw between the two batts, so each will see half the total amps. Out of the two I would go with the 25R.

If this amp draw is the most these batts will ever see, I would go with LG HG2. They are rated 3000 mAh so you'll get a bit more run time on a charge. I don't know how they would handle really high amps though.

Sean.King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In a mechanical dual parallel box you're splitting the current draw between the two batts, so each will see half the total amps. Out of the two I would go with the 25R.

If this amp draw is the most these batts will ever see, I would go with LG HG2. They are rated 3000 mAh so you'll get a bit more run time on a charge. I don't know how they would handle really high amps though.

The amp draw isn't split evenly over the batteries. Say its a build thats drawing 40 amps, 20 amps won't be drained for each battery, you don't get to add the amp ratings together. With dual 20 amp batteries your maximum cdr for the mod will be closer to 30 amps.

LG HG2's are great batteries but more geared toward regulated mods. They won't be able to push out as much voltage as other cells while under load, basically they won't hit as hard. Below a video showing the graphed results of their discharge current compared to a couple other popular choices.

OP, you will be better suited using samsung 25r's due to their higher mah rating, however if you build lower in a parallel box I think you will be better suited with the sony vtc4.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The amp draw isn't split evenly over the batteries. Say its a build thats drawing 40 amps, 20 amps won't be drained for each battery, you don't get to add the amp ratings together. With dual 20 amp batteries your maximum cdr for the mod will be closer to 30 amps.

Amp draw is split evenly between multiple batteries in parallel. Here are a couple of good diagrams from gizmology.net. They explain it well too :)

In parallel;
m76mtu.jpg

Pack output voltage stays the same as with a single battery and each battery's current contributes evenly to the total pack amp draw. This setup should actually give you slightly more than tripple the run time of a single battery because batts generally last a little longer at lower discharge rates. Remove one batt from the diagram and each of the two left would put out 1.5A to keep the 3A total.

In series;
2dhg2tz.jpg

Pack output voltage is the sum of the voltages of each battery, but each battery puts out the same current that is required to handle the load at pack voltage.

In either case, two batteries will have twice the watt hour capacity of one batt so will last very close to twice as long at the same watt output. Two batteries can also output twice the watts of a single battery, weather they are in series or parallel. Of course then they will have the same run time as a single battery.

If you would like to explore it more, you can run scenarios through the battery drain calculator on the Steam Engine website.

xblackwhitex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

LG HG2's are great batteries but more geared toward regulated mods. They won't be able to push out as much voltage as other cells while under load, basically they won't hit as hard. Below a video showing the graphed results of their discharge current compared to a couple other popular choices.

OP, you will be better suited using samsung 25r's due to their higher mah rating, however if you build lower in a parallel box I think you will be better suited with the sony vtc4.

Lol I'm never going lower than .15 that's crazy. I probably won't even go that low.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors