Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

I'll make it REAL easy for you ^^^

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Easy - looks like a Kanger mod of some sort. The battery, just from looking at the top of the charred cell they pictured, doesn't look like any IMR I've ever seen.

Conclusion: "smoke shop" sold a mod with a cell that wasn't in any way, shape, or form capable of being paired with a vaporizer. Guy didn't bother to power the mod down before he shoved it in his pocket. He auto-fired, and the battery vented (it obviously didn't explode, it's still intact in the "after" photos).

The only point of concern I have (aside from the "smoke shop" incompetence and the victim's failure to seek education or his misfortune of relying on "education" provided by the "smoke shop" employees) is that the Kanger mod didn't sense a temperature abnormality and cut power before the venting occurred...of course I have no idea what that cell was or if it could have gotten so hot so fast even a properly-functioning safety cutoff could've been bypassed. Anyone out there that can identify the battery in question by the "before" shot?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Correction - I've been tricked. Apparently in the audio (which I didn't bother listening to, I hate video enough as it is without having to hear idiots speaking) guy admits he just had a loose battery in his pocket, which must've contacts some coins or keys or something. Too bad the burns were a few inches away from qualifying for a Darwin Award honorable mention...

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't give the trophy away just yet...
I once tossed a battery across the room at the couch. It somehow just happened to land right in a bag of Halloween candy.
Those little metalized wrappers give off a helluva flash. :confused:
While that sounds cool (pics or it didn't happen!), you can only qualify for an award if you die, or an honorable mention if you castrate yourself. Thus, our hero in the OP came a few inches shy...

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wait wait waaitt!!!
I've got one more... <rubbing hands with glee>

I work in quality in the aerospace industry... In my department, the "battery test" considered a rite of passage.
As part of my right tool for the right job test, I have a D cell battery I always ask nooblets to measure.
It's fun when they try to use the caliper. :) Bzzorrpp
I thought that we got together as a city and collectively banished all you General Aeronautics/Dynamics/Atomics types...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I found the Truth for you guys from another vaper who works with the dude:

Truth11_n.jpg

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mean people really just walk and work with loose batteries in their pocket? I know I do! I put the battery in my front left pocket where I keep my spare emergency tin foil, 10 feet of kanthal, steel bottle opener and a handful of hersey kisses. What could possibly happen....

Jkgato

Member For 4 Years
Yap vape and battery safe. He should go to news and report is bad behavior to simple but very important safety with batterys

Vape on!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I mean people really just walk and work with loose batteries in their pocket? I know I do! I put the battery in my front left pocket where I keep my spare emergency tin foil, 10 feet of kanthal, steel bottle opener and a handful of hersey kisses. What could possibly happen....

You should be in the clear but just in case you should always carry a few nails in that front pocket too.:D

VU Sponsors