Become a Patron!

VG/PG... what's it all about?

othurme

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have only been vaping a few months... can someone explain to me what VG/PG is? While I have a basic idea... I don't really know what mix I'm looking for... or what to look for? When given a choice to choose my VG/PG mix... what are the tradeoffs?

I totally don't mind if you speak to me like I'm a moron.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure I speak moron. I will try to explain though. Veg, Glycerin is a product used in about everything in the food industry, tooth paste & on. It's a thin liquid. Pg is the same. except thinner viscosity. Neither one contain water, neither is harmful. Google to learn more. :cool:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't really know what to say. I have an idea. I think someone here may get some use of what I said, so I leave it alone.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
if you are asking whats the difference between vaping a juice that is 50/50 vs the same flavor at 80vg/20pg vs the same flavor at 20vg/80pg, I will do my best to explain

PG hits your throat more giving you more of what is called Throat Hit or TH
PG also gives you more flavor to a certain degree

VG gives you more clouds
it also can add a sweetness to the vape

Some people have a serious sensitivity or allergy to PG so they use as much VG as possible

if you use low wattage and high ohms on your setup most people use more pg at least a 50/50 mix other common mixes for this setup are 70pg/30vg and 80pg/20 vg

if you use subohm devices or a device that produces massive vapor, most use more VG for these devices up to MAX vg which can be 100% but normally isnt since most flavorings are made is a pg base, so there is always some pg in a mix unless you use flavoring suspended in VG which are much less common. .typical max VG mixes contain between 5 and 20% pg from flavoring.

the reason to use alot of VG on these subohm devices is the amount of vapor these can produce, when you try to inhale that much vapor at once too much PG can tear up your throat.

Aside form max vg other common mixes when using sub ohm devices and the like are 80vg/20pg, 70vg/30 pg

Now I m sure we can find people doing the exact opposite of what I just said, so remember these are are generalities

Basically if you want more clouds up the VG if you want more TH up the pg

Also VG is thicker the PG so some devices have trouble wicking mixes with alot of vg.

I recommend new vapors start at 50/50 then experiment a little in each direction, trying 60pg/40vg and then 60 vg/40pg of the same flavor and see if you like it. If you like it then try 10% more so your at 70/30 then try 80/20. Then decide form that what you like best. Its a journey. everyone's tastes and preferences are different, you have to experiment a bit to fin what works best for you

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Vegetable Glycerin (VG) is a natural product derived from vegetable oil that comes (normally) from palm oil or coconut oil. Although soy based VG is also available. It produces very large clouds, offers no throat hit, but doesn't carry flavors as well as PG. I have to say it's like lite corn syrup. Dry hit issues can happen when using high VG liquids in tank setups because the liquid is thick and may not wick fast enough.

Propylene Glycol (PG) is an organic product produced from Propylene Oxide, which is a Petroleum byproduct. It enhances flavors but also offers throat hit to eliquids. It is very thin, sweeter then VG, and produces no clouds. It is possible to be allergic to PG.

So, it is a bit of a tradeoff in the end.
VG - smooth hit, huge clouds, and possibly muted flavor.
PG - harsh hit, no clouds, and enhanced flavor.

Just a matter of finding the ratio you like and works best for you.
If going for big clouds, go as high a VG as you can.
If you like throat hit, then go higher in PG.
If using a tank, you normally have to use a blend of VG and PG so the liquid will be runny enough to wick into the coils.
If using a dripper, you can use any ratio you want. From 100% VG to 100% PG

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vegetable Glycerin (VG) is a natural product derived from vegetable oil that comes (normally) from palm oil or coconut oil. Although soy based VG is also available. It produces very large clouds, offers no throat hit, but doesn't carry flavors as well as PG. I have to say it's like lite corn syrup. Dry hit issues can happen when using high VG liquids in tank setups because the liquid is thick and may not wick fast enough.

Propylene Glycol (PG) is an organic product produced from Propylene Oxide, which is a Petroleum byproduct. It enhances flavors but also offers throat hit to eliquids. It is very thin, sweeter then VG, and produces no clouds. It is possible to be allergic to PG.

So, it is a bit of a tradeoff in the end.
VG - smooth hit, huge clouds, and possibly muted flavor.
PG - harsh hit, no clouds, and enhanced flavor.

Just a matter of finding the ratio you like and works best for you.
If going for big clouds, go as high a VG as you can.
If you like throat hit, then go higher in PG.
If using a tank, you normally have to use a blend of VG and PG so the liquid will be runny enough to wick into the coils.
If using a dripper, you can use any ratio you want. From 100% VG to 100% PG
I agree. Typing is not easy when having dinner. Water in any amount will be very bad to inhale.

othurme

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks all. Big help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I MAKE not smoking a hobby. It's a better idea. Spend as much as I want, & it's much better than smoking. The rest I spend on Motorcycles, Women & Booze. Fair Trade. :cool:

VU Sponsors