Become a Patron!

velocity RDA clone help

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to vaping. Been at it a few months. Right now I'm set up with a subox mini kit. It vapes well and is great on the go but I'm looking for something I can do at home as well. I am just getting into DIY juice and flavor is my main goal out of vaping right now. I ordered the velocity RDA clone to go on my koopor 60w mini. I am used to building for my subtank mini rta. 5 wraps of 26 g kanthal around the small screwdriver gives me .5 ohms every time. All I have on hand is 26 g kanthal and the organic Japanese cotton that comes in small sheets.
How do I get started building on the velocity deck with the 26g kanthal? What sort of things should I be learning about building in general? I am going for max flavor from my dripping. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You build pretty much the same way...the same coil you build for the tank will work in the same way on the velocity...Maybe just different on where you need to run the legs of the coil...Closing off airflow will give you more flavor but also a little more heat..Opening will give you less heat and maybe more clouds.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also consider a larger diameter to wrap your coils on..I do 7/8 wraps with 26g on a 2.5mm diameter for a .5'ish ohm...More wraps can equal more flavor.

Also consider a larger diameter to wrap your coils on..I do 7/8 wraps with 26g on a 2.5mm diameter for a .5'ish ohm...More wraps can equal more flavor.

Thanks Mike I'll try that. Also, how does different ohms effect flavor of the vape? When I build on the velocity what wattage should I vape at? I'm running my subtank at 26.5 watts.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thats hard to say..ejuice plays a part in whether it tastes better with a cooler vape or a hotter vape..Best advice i can offer is build a coil and play with wattage untill you find what you like.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great choice for a first RDA.
With a regulated device the resistance doesn't effect the flavor or vapor, your build and the set wattage does.
X watts at low resistance produces the same heat as X watts at higher resistance, (assuming the heating elements are of the same size and mass) but at lower resistance the chip and battery are stressed more since the amperage is higher, resulting in mod heating up more and battery draining faster.
Longer coils means more surface area and better flavor.
Higher coil mass does mean long heat up, but this could be avoided by higher wattage.
I would make the coils twice as long aiming to double the resistance (around 1 ohm).

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The velocity will perform much better with dual coils (the airflow isn't designed to support single coil setups) and thicker wire. 60w will run dual 24g coils very well assuming you don't build crazy big coils.
but at lower resistance the chip and battery are stressed more since the amperage is higher, resulting in mod heating up more and battery draining faster.
That's not true. Build resistance has nothing to do with battery current in a variable power mod.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The velocity will perform much better with dual coils (the airflow isn't designed to support single coil setups) and thicker wire. 60w will run dual 24g coils very well assuming you don't build crazy big coils.

That's not true. Build resistance has nothing to do with battery current in a variable power mod.

This is true, resistance and current in every kind of circuit are interlinked, there is no way around ohm's law.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The voltage being applied to the coil isn't the same as the voltage being applied to the chip. The current being supplied to the coil isn't the same as the current being supplied to the chip. The wattage setting and battery voltage determine battery current in a variable wattage mod. Nothing else.

Fishman1704

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You want flavor from an RDA, then try a dual parallel build. Five wraps around 2.5 mm gets me to about 3.4 - 3.6 ohms with ten coils creating good juice channels in the coil. This makes for really good flavor. Be prepared to blow through some juice because it'll go fast. But it'll taste really really good. Watch Rip Trippers to show you how it's done.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The voltage being applied to the coil isn't the same as the voltage being applied to the chip. The current being supplied to the coil isn't the same as the current being supplied to the chip. The wattage setting and battery voltage determine battery current in a variable wattage mod. Nothing else.
You are right and wrong.
In VW the mod checks the coil resistance and changes the supplied voltage in order to reach the desired wattage and as the voltage changes so does the amperage.
So the fact that the coil resistance isn't the same the mod internal resistance isn't the point.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The volts and amps at the coil change, but the battery voltage doesn't change neither does the current pulled from the battery to make the watts that have been selected. Just because you don't understand how vw mods work doesn't mean I'm wrong. The watt setting divided by battery voltage (plus about 5% for convertor loss) gives you the battery current. And you speaking about a mods internal resistance means you don't know what inductance is or how it can be adjusted. You're fumbling around with simple ohms law with no knowledge of how more complex electronic components or circuits work. Do you believe steam engine? Go to the battery drain section. Select a watt output. Type in 5 different coil resistances at that watt output and you see the battery runtime never changes. Only changing the watt setting changes runtime. Build resistance has jack shit to do with battery current in a vw mod.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to vaping. Been at it a few months. Right now I'm set up with a subox mini kit. It vapes well and is great on the go but I'm looking for something I can do at home as well. I am just getting into DIY juice and flavor is my main goal out of vaping right now. I ordered the velocity RDA clone to go on my koopor 60w mini. I am used to building for my subtank mini rta. 5 wraps of 26 g kanthal around the small screwdriver gives me .5 ohms every time. All I have on hand is 26 g kanthal and the organic Japanese cotton that comes in small sheets.
How do I get started building on the velocity deck with the 26g kanthal? What sort of things should I be learning about building in general? I am going for max flavor from my dripping. Any help would be appreciated.
This is a dual coil build. It should be good with 35W and greater.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.5&awg=26&id=2.4&ll=3

VU Sponsors