Become a Patron!

Variable voltage: no recognizable difference in settings?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So my starter kit included an iJoy 650mah Variable Voltage Battery... I actually just discovered the variable voltage settings a week into vaping. It says;

*To change voltage output, simply click the button 3 times quickly in a row

• Blue: 3.5v

• Green: 3.7v

• Yellow: 3.9v

• Red: 4.1v
---
I've been playing around with each voltage, also using my 2.4 ohm CE5 eGo. Even switching from the highest setting to the lowest (red to blue) I can notice no change in throat hit, taste, or amount of vapor. What exactly does the voltage affect? I've read about 5 different articles on voltage and nothing answers my question. Does the voltage simply change the amount of heat in the coil, therefore giving me more or less nicotine?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Should be a very noticeable difference between 3.5v and 4.1v. The juice should crackle louder and yes, more vapor. Maybe it's just not fully charged?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Should be a very noticeable difference between 3.5v and 4.1v. The juice should crackle louder and yes, more vapor. Maybe it's just not fully charged?
My battery is always fully charged, especially when I try the different settings. The color of the LED does change, but perhaps the battery is defective and won't change voltage. Or could the coil be burnt out too much? I've had this for about 1.5 weeks.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My battery is always fully charged, especially when I try the different settings. The color of the LED does change, but perhaps the battery is defective and won't change voltage. Or could the coil be burnt out too much? I've had this for about 1.5 weeks.
I would think even with a used coil there should be some difference, but try it with a new coil and if you still can't tell the difference, the thing doesn't work right imho.

JOLT74

Member For 4 Years
With a tank like that you're gunna have a tough time noticing the increased voltage due to lack of airflow and such a high resistance coil

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The reason why the difference is hard to notice is because with that high of resistance you're getting around 5 watts on the lowest setting and a little over sever watts on the highest. There should be a slight increase in vapor and heat between the lowest and the highest but if you're clicking threw the settings one at a time and trying them it's probably hitting your tounge like warm water slowly heating up to boil a lobster :)

See if you can get something with a lower resistance like 1.8 ohm to start. that would give you a range of 6.3 to 9.8 watts. Still not much but it's more of a noticeable difference. If it all still tastes the same then you might have a defective battery. I know the old Joyetech eGo C-Twist batteries were sometimes defective at the highest setting...they would put out the voltage you set them to for a couple seconds and then the power output would drop. Maybe your battery is doing the same thing.

Best of luck to you!

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So my starter kit included an iJoy 650mah Variable Voltage Battery... I actually just discovered the variable voltage settings a week into vaping. It says;

*To change voltage output, simply click the button 3 times quickly in a row

• Blue: 3.5v

• Green: 3.7v

• Yellow: 3.9v

• Red: 4.1v
---
I've been playing around with each voltage, also using my 2.4 ohm CE5 eGo. Even switching from the highest setting to the lowest (red to blue) I can notice no change in throat hit, taste, or amount of vapor. What exactly does the voltage affect? I've read about 5 different articles on voltage and nothing answers my question. Does the voltage simply change the amount of heat in the coil, therefore giving me more or less nicotine?
At 2.4 Ohms... the difference will not be overwhelming. Especially in a CE5. On a lower Ohm coil, you would notice a burning taste at higher voltage levels.

VU Sponsors