Become a Patron!

Vaporshark rDNA 40 + wireless charging + temp control: a word of warning

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you charge the Vaporshark rDNA 40 mod with the Qi wireless charging pad, and you use your mod in temperature control mod, be aware that it throws the DNA40's baseline coil measurement off a bit.

What happens is, when you don't use your mod for a while, the DNA40 chip waits for a while for everything to cool down - I believe 10 minutes. Then it assumes both the mod and the atomizer are roughly at the same temperature, and it quietly measures the coil's resistance again and its own temperature (using the onboard temperature sensor) to fine-tune the coil's cold resistance value. You want that to happen, it's good for the stability of the temperature control function.

Trouble is, if you put your rDNA40 on the wireless charging pad for an extended period of time, the mod warms up like a son of a bitch just under the pad, but the atomizer doesn't warm up as much. So if the DNA40 chip re-reads the coil at that moment, it sees the mod is really hot, and assumes the coil is too. But the coil is colder than the mod.

As a result, when you pick up your mod after charging on the pad for a long time, you'll see the displayed coil resistance seems to have "lost" 0.01 or 0.02 Ω. As you use, then leave your mod alone for a while, throughout the day, the resistance will return to normal.

It's not a huge drift, but my tests seem to show it's enough to skew the temperature measurement enough to make the chip hit TP sooner than it should. Nothing to write home about, but it's annoying.

Now what I do is use the wireless charging pad as a passthrough of sorts: I temporarily rest the mod on the pad while I vape, to top up the battery between tokes, when the chip won't go quiescent and silently recalibrate the coil. But for longer charges, I use the USB port.

Last edited:

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't use the wireless charging. On their site they mention due to excessive heat that screen clouding can occur. Enough info for me to either just plug in the usb or swap out the batt, and I could totally see how the wireless charging would throw off the temp calibrations because they get hot, hot, hot.

So why not lock your resistance / ohm's ? You do this by holding the + - at the same time when using temp control it locks your resistance, you will see Atty lock pop up and a small lock symbol next to your resistance reading. If not in temp control it locks your wattage, I found this out through Delaware Vapor, when I called to find out why in temp mode i was getting atty lock when trying to lock my wattage. it's a good way to keep the resistance from changing when you find the resistance you like

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So why not lock your resistance / ohm's ? You do this by holding the + - at the same time when using temp control it locks your resistance, you will see Atty lock pop up and a small lock symbol next to your resistance reading. If not in temp control it locks your wattage, I found this out through Delaware Vapor, when I called to find out why in temp mode i was getting atty lock when trying to lock my wattage. it's a good way to keep the resistance from changing when you find the resistance you like
I think the op was pre atty lock feature.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't use the wireless charging. On their site they mention due to excessive heat that screen clouding can occur. Enough info for me to either just plug in the usb or swap out the batt, and I could totally see how the wireless charging would throw off the temp calibrations because they get hot, hot, hot.

They mention they could fog ( not cloud ) and it's mostly due to any juice that may have leaked into the unit although humidity can also do it....

As to a Qi charger making a device hot... that depends on the charger. My first ( cheap ) charger I got, I did experience my smartphone and later my DNA 30 with the add-on charger getting pretty warm ( not really to the point of calling it hot )... but then I got a better charger that uses multiple coils which allow the coils to align better. Now mine only get warm

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They mention they could fog ( not cloud ) and it's mostly due to any juice that may have leaked into the unit although humidity can also do it....

As to a Qi charger making a device hot... that depends on the charger. My first ( cheap ) charger I got, I did experience my smartphone and later my DNA 30 with the add-on charger getting pretty warm ( not really to the point of calling it hot )... but then I got a better charger that uses multiple coils which allow the coils to align better. Now mine only get warm
Fog not cloud lol a bit persnickety but ok I guess my terminology was off. I know juice is a factor but on their site it said from heat not juice or at least it used to.

As far as the heat goes when I have used the wireless charging for a VS it was with the older style where you plugged the thin little wireless pad into the usb and used a shark skin. The device got hot I mean it was hot. I know they are different now and I have one of the different ones but have not used the feature because the heat and fogging issue.

lol sorry if my reply came across short I am irritated with VS at the moment from a recent order.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fog not cloud lol a bit persnickety ....
lol sorry if my reply came across short I am irritated with VS at the moment from a recent order.

Not so much persnickety as just picky... lol... fog cleans off, it's just the humidity caused by moisture and heat evaporating that moisture... clouding ( to me of course ) is where the plastic itself gets cloudy such as on a car's headlights that require polishing to get rid of it...

I didn't think you were short in the least although I know some may... I've gotten that response before because sometimes I'm too concise ( ie blunt ) with an explanation

My VS also has the add-on charge coil which I hide under a skin. As I mentioned... it got pretty warm but not hot but with the better charger ( multi-coil type ) it only gets warm... The better the alignment of the charge coil with the charger... the less heat you will get.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not so much persnickety as just picky... lol... fog cleans off, it's just the humidity caused by moisture and heat evaporating that moisture... clouding ( to me of course ) is where the plastic itself gets cloudy such as on a car's headlights that require polishing to get rid of it...

I didn't think you were short in the least although I know some may... I've gotten that response before because sometimes I'm too concise ( ie blunt ) with an explanation

My VS also has the add-on charge coil which I hide under a skin. As I mentioned... it got pretty warm but not hot but with the better charger ( multi-coil type ) it only gets warm... The better the alignment of the charge coil with the charger... the less heat you will get.

Well that's good. Right before I saw your reply I got an email from VS saying that an item I ordered was no longer available and I was thinking FU VS lol. They sent me the email about 30 hrs after payment and after they sent me a shipping notice. I have not heard back from them but they shipped something to me and I hope they did not split my order before discussing this with me as I would probably cancel the whole order if we could not figure something out..

Maybe the charger I had or the cards just sucked. It was the VS charging disc but it seemed like it was finicky about connecting with a couple different sharks and maybe that is why it got so hot. Either way I just chose not to charge that way. Even with the 40 and the rapid charge I just swap the batt.

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do indeed have a pre-lock firmware device. As a result, I tend to use the Qi charger only at work to top up the battery when I'm at my desk: since the battery is more or less fully charged throughout my work day, when I set my mod on the charging pad, the charging current is limited - and it doesn't stay on the pad all that long anyway.

When I'm home and I need to do a full charge, I plug it in.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sort of off topic but I think I got my VS order straightened out. Not 100% sure what they sent yesterday but today they said they will ship me the large screen scratch and dent rdna40 that I ordered. I figure they are not known for excellent paint anyways so what the hell.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Sort of off topic but I think I got my VS order straightened out. Not 100% sure what they sent yesterday but today they said they will ship me the large screen scratch and dent rdna40 that I ordered. I figure they are not known for excellent paint anyways so what the hell.

Just get a shark skin for the sucker:D

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just get a shark skin for the sucker:D
I hear ya RJ, I was not really worried about that stuff because I do have a skin to put on it and I was talking to someone else that bought one and it looked brand new. They say it has a warranty and all new internals. What I was concerned about though is after a decent amount of time they tried to tell me that they would no be able to fulfill the order. I understand mistakes happen and I think it got worked out so we shall see.

VU Sponsors