Become a Patron!

Vaporshark dna 40 clones are on the way

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Limwell is cloning the Vaporshark 40. They said they would start shipping on January 20th. Wholesale cost on them is approx. $75 landed in the US. Here's the email I got.

Hi.
We are cloning the Vaporshark Dna 40, it has temperature protection function.
Here is the quotation for it:
Unit price: USD 70/pcs (10-50 pcs)
USD 68/pcs (51-100 pcs)
Release day: Jan. 20th.

Details:
1.resistance:0.1-4ohm
2.battery:1*18650
3.a little bigger than 30W vapor shark
4.wireless charging module
5.temperature control
6.USA chip

40w vapor shark.gif

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
- Tempereture control fit for all coils,Nichrome And Kanthal
- Zip High Speed Wireless Charging
- Larger Screen
- Reverse Polarity Buzzer
- 18650 Battery
- Gold plated, Spring-loaded center pin
- Integrated wireless charging, with available Micro-USB port
- Matte Black
- Magnetic Battery Door

Those are all some heavy claims. We shall see. And Your post says USA chip? lol

And wireless charging with Micro-USB port... wireless? Double lol

.1 to .4ohm resistance? triple LOL My link says .3 or higher. They love to convolute their shit.

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I can live with 0.3 ohm's easy!

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Personally i'm gonna keep an eye on the Vaporflask v3 mod clone. I know it's not compact but it takes two batteries and is very ergonomic for the hands. I always fancied the VF and am a bit intrigued by the DNA40 style chips coming out. Now for the long wait for distribution and reviews.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wholesale $70 (10/50) pieces would mean you have to purchase at least 10 for that price point. I imagine it will be around $90 for a single unit at retail. With all the competition out there for portable box mods I suspect it will be a hard sell.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wholesale $70 (10/50) pieces would mean you have to purchase at least 10 for that price point. I imagine it will be around $90 for a single unit at retail. With all the competition out there for portable box mods I suspect it will be a hard sell.
I hear what your saying, but for people looking for a VS, it's 100 dollars less. Limwell has done an exceptional job at cloning the Kato, no reason they won't do the same here.

Last edited:

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I hear what your saying, but for people looking for a VS, it's 100 dollars less. Limwell has done an exceptional job at cloning the Kato, no reason they won't do the same here.
They did do a great job with the Kato, but circuitry is a different beast all together, and VS had quite a few problems getting it right at first themselves. And like @Dissonance said, at that price point, it is a bit lacking compared to what is out and whats on its way.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can see VS losing their shit if this thing is any good. If it doesn't have a logo, I'm betting it will sell well.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can see VS losing their shit if this thing is any good. If it doesn't have a logo, I'm betting it will sell well.
From the pictures it looks like it will have the logo. I emailed Limwell back and flat out asked them if this was the Evolve chipset in the clone since they claim "USA chip". I would bet all the components of the evolve chipset including the circuit board are made in semi conductor foundries either in China, Singapore or Malaysia anyway. It's a matter of writing code for the firmware

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
From the pictures it looks like it will have the logo. I emailed Limwell back and flat out asked them if this was the Evolve chipset in the clone since they claim "USA chip". I would bet all the components of the evolve chipset including the circuit board are made in semi conductor foundries either in China, Singapore or Malaysia anyway. It's a matter of writing code for the firmware
Evolv actually makes boards in the USA, but is cheaper to pay some Chinese or Malay person $2.50/Hour to do the job as compared to $12-$16 here in the states. The process of making the boards is fairly automated with pick n place machines and robotic soldering wave machines, along with component testing.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Evolv actually makes boards in the USA, but is cheaper to pay some Chinese or Malay person $2.50/Hour to do the job as compared to $12-$16 here in the states. The process of making the boards is fairly automated with pick n place machines and robotic soldering wave machines, along with component testing.

I'm sure your right. Evolv isn't a chip component producer. They buy components and assemble them on a circuit board. So, assembled in the USA. But they have to software code as well. I used to see this stuff all the time. My Wife was a process engineer & worked in technical sales for Applied Materials for 25 years.

batts

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

you get an e mail back yet? id love to know if it is the Evolve chipset. really looks great but if its going to be 90-100$ why not spring an extra 70$ for the real deal? just saying. im not on any side of that debate.but if not not mistaken the real VS is only 170$ right?

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Heh, where do you think they make the "authentic" Vaporsharks?

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you get an e mail back yet? id love to know if it is the Evolve chipset. really looks great but if its going to be 90-100$ why not spring an extra 70$ for the real deal? just saying. im not on any side of that debate.but if not not mistaken the real VS is only 170$ right?

Haha! There's no debate, only discussion! No, haven't received a reply other than they are ready to ship next week. Was going to buy ten of them and offer 9 of them at cost, but decided I didn't want to risk having 10 F'd up boxes! Will leave it to the risk taker's on ebay who don't mind having negative feedback thrown at them in large waves!!

I think the authentic VS's are more like 190.00, or there abouts

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yes, got a reply last night:

Hi.
We have got the USA chip before, and then we make a clone for it.
So it is not the original Evolve (dna chips), we cloned it and make it better.

We are very good at making chips, just like the 260watt Variant mod chip, we updated the original one(with 250 watt) into 260 watt.

And in China, only our company is cloning the Vaporshark Dna 40.

So you can consider invest it.

So, take it as it is. Will it be better than the dna40? Who knows. Limwell seems to have a pretty good track record.
If anyone wants to get on a group buy I'd be willing to roll the dice, but I'm not willing to swallow 10 of them by myself.

Last edited:

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess time will tell to see how they plan to clone and surpass the quality of the Evolv. If it performs well and sells for $100 it will still be 50% less than the Vaporshark. The big question will come down to whether people will have enough confidence in Limwell or just buy the original Vaporshark. Or decide that they don't really "need" a Vaporshark clone and get a quality mod for 1/2 the price and invest the remaining $50 for quality bottle of juice and a tank. Passing on the original would generate about $150 in savings. Unless using nickel wire and temperature control are an absolute must. I personally wouldn't want to swallow $700 either or $200 for an original but some people might and that's okay, to each their own I suppose. Most everything is assembled in Asia anyway so if they do produce a good clone will $100 be a good investment, not in comparison to the original VS, we know that it will. But more in comparison to other quality box mods on the market selling well under that price point?

Limwell got intellectual property rights to use Vaporshark logo?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jah

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Limwell got intellectual property rights to use Vaporshark logo?

IP rights are only valid if defended successfully, and the Chinese know this. Question is, will VS bother with the hassle and expense of defending their Trademark (logo). They could ask Limwell to stop using it, but if Limwell refused, it would involve a court case.

IP is a broad term that includes, trade secrets, patents, copyright, trademarks, & industrial design rights. In the case of VS, we are talking about trademarks, since a box mod can't be patented.

I understand that a VaporShark is $190 and not everybody can afford one but why do these companies have to copy a product right down to the logo? Do these companies have absolutely no design people? I understand us Americans are obsessed with brand names but seriously, this is out of and in the vape industry. I have a authentic VS and the reason I got it was the DNA 40. I wish everybody would see the interviews with the Evolv owners and maybe people would have more respect for authentic products. I personally would be embarrassed to have a VS clone. Note to clone companies.... Be inspired but change the product, put your own name on it and then you will be respected.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I understand that a VaporShark is $190 and not everybody can afford one but why do these companies have to copy a product right down to the logo? Do these companies have absolutely no design people? I understand us Americans are obsessed with brand names but seriously, this is out of and in the vape industry. I have a authentic VS and the reason I got it was the DNA 40. I wish everybody would see the interviews with the Evolv owners and maybe people would have more respect for authentic products. I personally would be embarrassed to have a VS clone. Note to clone companies.... Be inspired but change the product, put your own name on it and then you will be respected.

1st post, Welcome to VU

Would you feel the same way if you found out your Authentic was actually made in China? Or worse, the clone company was the company actually making them in the first place? While I agree about the logo part, I find nowhere on Vaporshark's website claiming where they are made. Only the chipset we know for sure is assembled in the US. And that may change.

It's a bit pompous to assume people buy clones because they can't afford authentics, especially with a crude device where in the end, it's heating up a wire coil to vaporize a liquid.

Last edited:
Thank you Robert. I get what you're saying about where some products actually come. It is all possible that Vaporshark has the units assembled in China or another country....I honestly don't know and the website does not say. I just don't get why companies have to clone. Now if this Limwell company came up with a temperature limiting board and made a Mod that in ways looked like the VS and called it like...VaporDragon, great.

We have got the USA chip before, and then we make a clone for it.
So it is not the original Evolve (dna chips), we cloned it and make it better.

We are very good at making chips, just like the 260watt Variant mod chip, we updated the original one(with 250 watt) into 260 watt.

And in China, only our company is cloning the Vaporshark Dna 40.

So you can consider invest it.

This doesn't make sense. Are they talking about chips or boards? We cloned it and made it better? So it's not a clone?

I guess it's a pointless argument because clones will thrive as long as people keep buying them. But where does it end? Will there be juices clone next? Maybe I will be able to get a Five Pawn's Gambit clone for $5 next year.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can make a Five Pawns Gambit clone way cheaper than $5.00. Anyway, the Chinese reverse engineer the board, and then remake it using what ever components they can source and then program it. The only Chinese boards I really respect due to China's homegrown design is the YiHi.

I hope Limwell doesn't put the VS logo on the mod, then need to put their own.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This doesn't make sense. Are they talking about chips or boards? We cloned it and made it better? So it's not a clone?

Chips, boards, same difference since everyone seems to call a chipset on a board, "the chip". Perhaps Limwell feels they've made it more reliable in light of the problems Evolv has had with the 40 chipset. Like mentioned in an earlier post, Evolv is not a chip component manufacturer, they source the components, and assemble them on boards just like Limwell and everyone else is doing.

zdogefizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anyone have that email address for limwell?
I have one of these RDNA40. Got it 2 days ago. By now the screen is so glitchy I can't read anything at all.
Seems like a solid device besides that. When I first got it I confirmed the screen says "evolv" when it boots up. Instead of kx40 or kd40 I can't remember which. So I guess they completely cloned the evolv chip instead of modifying it like the other clone dna40.... Or it's authentic..fat chance right?
The TC seems to be in working order. Although I've never used TC so idk if it works as it should.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone have that email address for limwell?
I have one of these RDNA40. Got it 2 days ago. By now the screen is so glitchy I can't read anything at all.
Seems like a solid device besides that. When I first got it I confirmed the screen says "evolv" when it boots up. Instead of kx40 or kd40 I can't remember which. So I guess they completely cloned the evolv chip instead of modifying it like the other clone dna40.... Or it's authentic..fat chance right?
The TC seems to be in working order. Although I've never used TC so idk if it works as it should.
Out of curiosity is it a large screen clone or a small screen clone? Does it have the VS logo? Or does it say Limwell? How much did it cost? Did you buy direct from Limwell? If so sending it back can be costly. Post some pics I want to see it.

zdogefizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Small screen. Got it at a wholeseller for 85 I think? Doesn't say limwell anywhere. This thread is what made me investigate if it was. Only reason I think it's a clone is
1. Price
2. Didn't come with a battery
3. The Allen screws on mine are black. From what I can tell VS has silver screws. Looking at limwells pics they have black screws.
Box looked 100% legit.
I'm not really sure how to upload multiple pics. I just joined here. Hope the pics work lol.
I just wanna figure out the best way to get this in working order or returned or whatever. I know they are a cloner. But I mean as much as they where raving about never having problems and they made improvements to the chip and they "are very well respected" I just assumed they would stand by their product atlesst alittle bit. Maybe it's a pipedream...

zdogefizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Btw. The screen is on in that pic. Totally unreadable. Even in a completely pitch black room

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Btw. The screen is on in that pic. Totally unreadable. Even in a completely pitch black room
Are you sure the screen is not in stealth mode?
What does the screen say when you hold the minus button down for a moment after it hits 1w?

My genuine small screen VS rdna 40 displays a serial # and says genuine.

Last edited:

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Small screen. Got it at a wholeseller for 85 I think? Doesn't say limwell anywhere. This thread is what made me investigate if it was. Only reason I think it's a clone is
1. Price
2. Didn't come with a battery
3. The Allen screws on mine are black. From what I can tell VS has silver screws. Looking at limwells pics they have black screws.
Box looked 100% legit.
I'm not really sure how to upload multiple pics. I just joined here. Hope the pics work lol.
I just wanna figure out the best way to get this in working order or returned or whatever. I know they are a cloner. But I mean as much as they where raving about never having problems and they made improvements to the chip and they "are very well respected" I just assumed they would stand by their product atlesst alittle bit. Maybe it's a pipedream...
My authentic has silver allen heads. Why is the button red in that pic? The insert in the case looks a little bit different but it could just be the cable throwing me off.

If that is a clone it is done pretty damn convincing. I am not against clones but when they are done with the logo's it sucks because then it makes it difficult to trust what you are buying

zdogefizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
image.jpg not in stealth mode. I wish I would have known about the less than 1w thing before the screen started doing this.

Pitched black bathroom. Wattage is locked so the message is saying please unlock to show wattage or whatever. Can't see shit.
I used it enough to know sorta how to get around the menu. And I can kinda sorta quess where I'm at. Same with the TC. But there's no way I would be able to read a serial or anything.

The button stays red when it's idle for a good while. Like maybe 5-10 min. Then it turns off. Turns blue when firing.

I did notice the lights that make the switch do that are tiny tiny little things attached to the board itself. And the board looks manufactured with them.

zdogefizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wanna say too, I'm Vaping on it right now. It works. TC works too although I've never used a genuine to compare to. But it seems to be limiting exactly how It should.

Also. I kinda think it has the wireless charging capabilities. I could be wrong since I have no way of testing. But there seems to be a module inside to do that.

Any ideas how to go about solving this? Short of buying a new chip?
If I do that it's going into my zero enclosure Right here. This was supposed to hold me over till I get time to build that one.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some ppl with the authentics that have experienced screen scramble say that it fixes itself but most have noted that it is prone to doing that in TC mode. Mine does not suffer from the glitch so I don't know. Have you popped the battery out to see if it will fix it at least temporarily?

This thread http://vapingunderground.com/threads/vaporshark-rdna-40-w-temp-control-group-buy.63500/#post-385108 says they are sold through cigabuy so maybe you can contact them and see how you might go about contacting the right ppl.

zdogefizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mines getting progressively worse not better.
It started before I used TC.
When I first turned it on out the box the screen was super dim. I didn't think much of it. I mean I don't mind putting my hand over it to block glare. Or even have to turn the lights off. But as you can see that's not even possible.

I'll see about contacting cigabuy. I found limwell distributor on alibaba and sent her a message. Hopefully she can give me the person to contact. But I doubt it.
Honestly I havnt even talked to the wholeseller. He may just swap them out. I'll prolly know the answer to that tomorrow (today) or Tuesday. Deff be the preferred option since its local.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The button stays red when it's idle for a good while. Like maybe 5-10 min. Then it turns off. Turns blue when firing.
The button thing is different. Mine lights blue when being fired and then immediately goes out when not. The only time it turns red is when it is charging and then turns green when it is charged.

Mines getting progressively worse not better.
It started before I used TC.
When I first turned it on out the box the screen was super dim. I didn't think much of it. I mean I don't mind putting my hand over it to block glare. Or even have to turn the lights off. But as you can see that's not even possible.

I'll see about contacting cigabuy. I found limwell distributor on alibaba and sent her a message. Hopefully she can give me the person to contact. But I doubt it.
Honestly I havnt even talked to the wholeseller. He may just swap them out. I'll prolly know the answer to that tomorrow (today) or Tuesday. Deff be the preferred option since its local.

For sure contact the local guy and see where it goes. Dealing with China can be a pain and it is expensive to ship it back to them.

I kind of nerded out on this thread because of how authentic your mod looked. I knew there were clones coming and that some were out for the older models, but now it looks just as much of a pita to determine if you are getting what you pay for as when dealing with a used Hana.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
cigabuy said here in the comments that the chip is made by yihi?

http://www.cigabuy.com/rdna-40w-style-variable-wattage-box-mod-apv-p-7202.html
I saw that mentioned in that thread I linked. It is hard to imagine it being a real yihi board when the pictures I saw looked like a picture of a dna board.
It would be interesting to see if yihi denies that it is their chip like when the Zero SX clone was being advertised as having a yihi board.

I think a yihi SX350J or even an SX350 board would be awesome in a VS body.

Last edited:

zdogefizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The biggest standout difference I'm seeing is the Allen screw color.

I'm not sure what mine does whole charging. I havnt tried the onboard charger yet.

Inside the box it looks 100% real. Like I had to ask him if it was a clone. I wouldn't have even asked and assumed it was real if there was no price next to it.
It even has that like soft rubbery type finish. Not like rubber. But if you've held the VS you know what I mean. It's an excellent copy.
-if it wasn't for this damn screen.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alice @ Limwell said this chip is not a YiHi or an Evolv chip. I sure would like to see this clone run the dry cotton burn test in TC mode.

Vaporshark RDNA (02-27-19-58-18).png Vaporshark RNDA (02-27-19-58-18).png

_MG_3806(02-27-19-58-18).jpg

I am sure its a knock off chip.. its interesting how "Alice" didn't say what chip it actually was, at least she confirmed that it was NOT EVOLV or YIHI, I'm rather sure a Yihi board is configured totally different ( the footprint ) wouldn't allow it to fit in the VS box..

I would love to see the Spec's on the board and have it reviewed P.Busardo style .. ( I don't think he rewews clones ... so that just wishful thinking on my part

Last edited:
One more thing, I love how all these manufacturers errr ummm cloners are able to "Perfect" something seemingly over night, when its taken over a year of design and tweaking for the Original designer to accomplish..
Just remember , when it Seems to good to be true, It usually is.

zdogefizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dry cotton? I had thought it needed atlesst some initial juice to calibrate or something?

zdogefizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg There was a little juice on this cotton but not much. Ran for about 45 seconds at what I assume is 420 probably in the upper 20w close to 30. Outdoor pics show even more than 45secomds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all the pics man. I hope the replacement doesn't suffer from screen glitches. If you remember you should do the holding the minus button down for a moment after the one just out of curiosity to see what the clones say.

Also to add, the packaging insert for the mod is different then mine.

zdogefizzle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm curious about what it will say also.
But to be completely honest. I don't think I'll break the seal on this one. I expect it'll go on eBay when I get it. And I'll take that cash and buy an authentic dna40 to go into this zero I already have. Got the VS to see what was up and hold me over. But I'm just gonna pull the trigger I think.

I'm 99% sure it's a cloned chip as the authentic doesn't stay red in idle. Those lights are built into the board instead of additional circuitry. Which leads me to believe the chip is different also. Not just the components.

VU Sponsors