Become a Patron!

Vapor Shark DNA250 - Imbalanced battery? What do I do?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My DNA250 won't charge anymore and says "Imbalanced battery". It still shows a USB connection to Escribe on my computer but nothing is working.

Anybody have any ideas? I've tried hard rebooting and a USB recovery charge and nothing changed.

Thanks!

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would get a hold of vs from what I've seen they have excellent customer service just hope you have a back up

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Mike! I plan on calling them on Monday. I was just wondering if anybody had any idea what I can do on my own to fix it. Luckily, I do have backup vapes I can use, but none are DNA's.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you post a screen shot of the Device monitor with the mod hooked up. A long shot would be to check that 3 cells are selected in the mod tab of Escribe.

Cheers,
Steve

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One other thing you could check is to make sure the quick disconnect/balanced cable plug from the battery to the board is plugged in firmly (I believe the VS250 has the quick disconnect plug).

Cheers,
Steve

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It says right now that it's charging! If it gets to 100% successfully and vapes like it should then maybe it was just a fluke incident. I'm only at 7% right now but I'm in no rush, I just want it to work. If it doesn't work, then I'll come back and post a pic of the monitor screen. If it does work, I'll come back and say so.

Thanks again, everybody!

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm up to 15%. So far so good! Charge is reading 1.7~ Wh, my three cells are all reading 4 volts~, current is reading steady at 1.0 amps, board temp. is 92 degrees, room temp. is 82 degrees, USB voltage is 4.6 volts, USB power is 4.6W.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm up to 15%. So far so good! Charge is reading 1.7~ Wh, my three cells are all reading 4 volts~, current is reading steady at 1.0 amps, board temp. is 92 degrees, room temp. is 82 degrees, USB voltage is 4.6 volts, USB power is 4.6W.
A couple of things you probably already know.
1. It can charge at 2 amps if you have a 2 amp USB source.
2. Make sure the Watt Hours are set correctly, If it's a 900mah 3s Lipo, it would be 10WH (I'm not sure what the VS250 comes with).
3. You can setup the charging display to show all that. Just make sure the charging brightness is above 0 - I set mine to ~60
upload_2017-3-18_21-4-32.png

Cheers,.
Steve

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A couple of things you probably already know.
1. It can charge at 2 amps if you have a 2 amp USB source.
2. Make sure the Watt Hours are set correctly, If it's a 900mah 3s Lipo, it would be 10WH (I'm not sure what the VS250 comes with).
3. You can setup the charging display to show all that. Just make sure the charging brightness is above 0 - I set mine to ~60
View attachment 77227

Cheers,.
Steve
Thank you, Steve. It stopped charging at 30% so I'm not in the clear yet.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How do I set the Watt Hours? (edit: I figured it out.)

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Now it says I have 87% charge. A moment ago it said 30%. The thing is that it isn't charging anymore. It also isn't lighting up the "Imbalanced battery" sign. I have no idea what's going on? Hopefully Vapor Shark will be able to troubleshoot without me needing to send in my unit.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now it says I have 87% charge. A moment ago it said 30%. The thing is that it isn't charging anymore. It also isn't lighting up the "Imbalanced battery" sign. I have no idea what's going on? Hopefully Vapor Shark will be able to troubleshoot without me needing to send in my unit.
OK, It seems like your Watt Hours must have been way off. That would cause your battery bar to be off. Lets see if I can help you. I'll post a few screens from Escribe with my Lavabox DNA200 hooked up (900mah, 3s Lipo). I'll highlight a few things for you to check. I think it may not be set to Maximum Puffs which would stop charging early. Were not too far off now.

In the Mod Tab of Escribe
1. Make sure the type is set to Lithium Polymer
2. Make sure it's set to 3 cells and Watt Hours are set to 9.99WH (I rounded up to 10 yesterday but a 900mah, 3s Lipo is really 9.99WH)
3. Cell Soft Cutoff should be set to 3.09V
4. Charging Mode should be set to Maximum Puffs

upload_2017-3-19_6-7-29.png

In The Device Monitor
1. Cell 1 Should be around 4.2v
2. Cell 2 Should be around 4.2v
3. Cell 3 Should be around 4.2v
upload_2017-3-19_6-17-37.png

Notes:
1. If your Charging Mode is set to Maximum Recharges and not Maximum Puffs then the mod will terminate charging before each cell reaches 4.2v.
2. After making changes don't forget to click on Upload Settings to Device at the top of Escribe to save the changes to your mod.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Steve

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK, It seems like your Watt Hours must have been way off. That would cause your battery bar to be off. Lets see if I can help you. I'll post a few screens from Escribe with my Lavabox DNA200 hooked up (900mah, 3s Lipo). I'll highlight a few things for you to check. I think it may not be set to Maximum Puffs which would stop charging early. Were not too far off now.

In the Mod Tab of Escribe
1. Make sure the type is set to Lithium Polymer
2. Make sure it's set to 3 cells and Watt Hours are set to 9.99WH (I rounded up to 10 yesterday but a 900mah, 3s Lipo is really 9.99WH)
3. Cell Soft Cutoff should be set to 3.09V
4. Charging Mode should be set to Maximum Puffs

View attachment 77251

In The Device Monitor
1. Cell 1 Should be around 4.2v
2. Cell 2 Should be around 4.2v
3. Cell 3 Should be around 4.2v
View attachment 77252

Notes:
1. If your Charging Mode is set to Maximum Recharges and not Maximum Puffs then the mod will terminate charging before each cell reaches 4.2v.
2. After making changes don't forget to click on Upload Settings to Device at the top of Escribe to save the changes to your mod.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Steve
Thank you so much for your help, Steve. Unfortunately, things are getting worse. As of when I woke up today it now shows no battery charge at all and the three cells are all over the place. I sent an email to support at Vapor Shark, so hopefully we will get this situation resolved before long.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you so much for your help, Steve. Unfortunately, things are getting worse. As of when I woke up today it now shows no battery charge at all and the three cells are all over the place. I sent an email to support at Vapor Shark, so hopefully we will get this situation resolved before long.
You're welcome. I'm sorry to hear that. At least we tried. They have excellent customer service so they will take care of you.

Cheers,
Steve

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cool. Let me know how it goes. I just got mine a week ago and wanna see just how good the customer service is

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
I talked with Customer Service (who were exceptional in taking care of my issue) and I am sending in my unit for warranty repair.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I talked with Customer Service (who were exceptional in taking care of my issue) and I am sending in my unit for warranty repair.
Yeah, they have very good CS. It's also nice they are in the USA so it won't take long to get you sorted. I was just hoping we could fix it without you having to send it in. We tried everything I could think of though. Could be a bad balance circuit, or maybe even a bad Lipo.

Cheers,
Steve

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, they have very good CS. It's also nice they are in the USA so it won't take long to get you sorted. I was just hoping we could fix it without you having to send it in. We tried everything I could think of though. Could be a bad balance circuit, or maybe even a bad Lipo.

Cheers,
Steve
I really appreciate all your help. I am just hoping the fix is easy and covered under warranty. There's no way I could have done anything to the device to break it.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really appreciate all your help. I am just hoping the fix is easy and covered under warranty. There's no way I could have done anything to the device to break it.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Cheers,
Steve

VU Sponsors