Become a Patron!

Vaping on the BBC's "Trust Me, I'm A Doctor"

Vaping on the BBC's "Trust Me, I'm A Doctor"
Are e-cigarettes safe?
E-cigarettes are becoming increasingly popular yet are often at the centre of controversy. There are debates about whether they should be banned in public places and questions about their long term safety. Michael Mosley sets out to cut through the hype and find out: are e-cigarettes safe?
Read more - watch the video

Amir_Wazir

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
IMO, many of the anti-smoking crowd who are virulently anti-vaping as well are that way because they thought they would eliminate tobacco smoking through advocacy, shaming and legislation, but they are starting to realize that this isn't how things are going to play out, and that tobacco smoking will largely be replaced by vaping instead.

There also seems to be a sort of "judgement bleed-over" from the idea that smoking cigarettes is not only a risky and irresponsible behavior, but a moral failing on the part of the individual as well. Since vaping looks like smoking and is enjoyable, they react to it the same way viscerally.

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Amir's second point is spot-on imo. We are influenced by our fear-centric reptilian brains more than we'd like to admit.

VU Sponsors