Become a Patron!

vaping newb, dry hits

Hi everyone, Vaping newb here.

I bought an eleaf istick pico last saturday and I was very happy with it until this morning when I got my first few dry hits.

It comes with a melo 3 mini tank that has a 0.3 ohm ec head installed in it.

I primed the coil and tried again and still got dry hits, so I swapped the ec head with the extra one of 0.5 ohm that comes in the box thinking that the other head went bad.

I primed it and then tried again, to my surprise I still got dry hits.

My questions are:

1- Is it normal for the first ec head (0.3 ohm) to go bad after only 5 days ??
Given that I usually vape on 20~25 watts and I consumed only 30 ml of e-liquid.

2- Changing from 0.3 ohm to 0.5 ohm, should I vape on the same wattage I used to vape on ??

3- Just to make sure, priming the coil means I should drop a few droplets of the e-liquid into the ec head and in the four cotton holes around it ?

4- How long should I wait after priming the coil to start vaping ?

Thanks for having the patience to read all this

Sent from my p1a42 using Tapatalk

am no expert really, but i might be able to answer some questions
1- coils lifecycle cant be measured really, it have different variables, how hard u vape, type of liquid etc, some liquids i noticed are just to sweet and i have to change coils every 3-5 tanks, other liquids would make the coil last longer. i moved to RTA anyways and still in learning curve.
2- i think u might need to increase wattage just a little bit, not sure about that, but increasing resistance might require more wattage to heat the coil. i would suggest you try increase/decrease bit by bit to see what works best for youre taste.
3- priming coils, have the cottons soak the juice, make it wet so it doesnt get burned during heat.
4- after priming, close air holes, fill the tank, keep air holes closed, and suck on the tip (like smoking a cig) little by little, this should draw some more juice in the cotton, open air holes and vape when you start tasting just a little bit of your juice (be careful as this process can flood youre coil if not done properly), maybe watch a little youtubers they have plenty of videos showing priming the coils.
hope this helps

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
2- i think u might need to increase wattage just a little bit, not sure about that, but increasing resistance might require more wattage to heat the coil. i would suggest you try increase/decrease bit by bit to see what works best for youre taste.

I really would not increase wattage trying to solve a dry hit issue - it will only ruin the coil faster by burning the cotton, but the other tidbits are spot on :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree with @JuicyLucy.

You might want consider rinsing off new coil assemblies under warm water. Let them set to air dry about a half hour to forty-five minutes. Sometimes the manufactures might coat these assemblies with a fine "shipping" dust, or such happens en route. Yes, I know the packaging seems prohibitive of getting dusty, please understand I'm writing from experience only, have seen it happen. I'm not telling you some half whacked loonie tale despite being called loony at times. ;)

Beyond this, might suggest you paint the assemblies with the juice you're going to vape on prior to inserting them into your tank. That'll act in its own way as a means of priming the coil. Give it a minute or two to soak into the assembly to the coil/s.

If all else fails mention you want invited to the Dark Side(tm). We'll get you squared away post haste. ;) :) We have cookies too, and all the other vapers, they, well they run when they see us clouding up. hehe.

Cpt.Black'Briefs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree with @JuicyLucy.

You might want consider rinsing off new coil assemblies under warm water. Let them set to air dry about a half hour to forty-five minutes. Sometimes the manufactures might coat these assemblies with a fine "shipping" dust, or such happens en route. Yes, I know the packaging seems prohibitive of getting dusty, please understand I'm writing from experience only, have seen it happen. I'm not telling you some half whacked loonie tale despite being called loony at times. ;)

Beyond this, might suggest you paint the assemblies with the juice you're going to vape on prior to inserting them into your tank. That'll act in its own way as a means of priming the coil. Give it a minute or two to soak into the assembly to the coil/s.

If all else fails mention you want invited to the Dark Side(tm). We'll get you squared away post haste. ;) :) We have cookies too, and all the other vapers, they, well they run when they see us clouding up. hehe.
Is washing new coils better than torching? I use to use ss mesh where I heard to torch the mesh for purity so I translated torching from washing

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In this case, I suggest the warm water rinse. You're just "shaking the dust off" of the coil assemblies. Water will do better to do that, it'll open the wick material up, cotton, rayon. Then once the fibers are open they're more keen on guzzling up juice. :) I've not ever tried wire mesh, just not gotten to it. I do note though it requires torching from my understanding of using it, limited that it is. --

At times it's also worth torching A1 Kanthal wire, in case you're unsure of its purity. I suggest buying direct from Temco who produces Kanthal and various other wires, parts for industrial electrical use. Most often their wire is highly pure and I seldom bother annealing it, which is the torching to removing impurities. As for coil assemblies like what the OP is dealing with there's no great need to "get into that" aspect of "things" just yet. Eventually, if the OP decides upon building their own coils, might be a tidbit to recall. :) --

Ah, sorry for multiple starts and stops in one post. I often have to cycle mental processing, I think about all seven things at once and loop back. At times I get confused until I sort it out to write it. Maybe next week I'll get an AMD logic chip instead of this crappy Intel chip that gets sluggish thinking of two things. So there it is, I'm a bot. *chuckles*

Last edited:

Cpt.Black'Briefs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In this case, I suggest the warm water rinse. You're just "shaking the dust off" of the coil assemblies. Water will do better to do that, it'll open the wick material up, cotton, rayon. Then once the fibers are open they're more keen on guzzling up juice. :) I've not ever tried wire mesh, just not gotten to it. I do note though it requires torching from my understanding of using it, limited that it is. --

At times it's also worth torching A1 Kanthal wire, in case you're unsure of its purity. I suggest buying direct from Temco who produces Kanthal and various other wires, parts for industrial electrical use. Most often their wire is highly pure and I seldom bother annealing it, which is the torching to removing impurities. As for coil assemblies like what the OP is dealing with there's no great need to "get into that" aspect of "things" just yet. Eventually, if the OP decides upon building their own coils, might be a tidbit to recall. :) --

Ah, sorry for multiple starts and stops in one post. I often have to cycle mental processing, I think about all seven things at once and loop back. At times I get confused until I sort it out to write it. Maybe next week I'll get an AMD logic chip instead of this crappy Intel chip that gets sluggish thinking of two things. So there it is, I'm a bot. *chuckles*
That makes since. I'll have to try washing. I been skipping it cause I torch most my coils anyway and figured job done

Cpt.Black'Briefs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi everyone, Vaping newb here.

I bought an eleaf istick pico last saturday and I was very happy with it until this morning when I got my first few dry hits.

It comes with a melo 3 mini tank that has a 0.3 ohm ec head installed in it.

I primed the coil and tried again and still got dry hits, so I swapped the ec head with the extra one of 0.5 ohm that comes in the box thinking that the other head went bad.

I primed it and then tried again, to my surprise I still got dry hits.

My questions are:

1- Is it normal for the first ec head (0.3 ohm) to go bad after only 5 days ??
Given that I usually vape on 20~25 watts and I consumed only 30 ml of e-liquid.

2- Changing from 0.3 ohm to 0.5 ohm, should I vape on the same wattage I used to vape on ??

3- Just to make sure, priming the coil means I should drop a few droplets of the e-liquid into the ec head and in the four cotton holes around it ?

4- How long should I wait after priming the coil to start vaping ?

Thanks for having the patience to read all this

Sent from my p1a42 using Tapatalk
I just solved my dry hit problem with more cotton..Thicker wick

VU Sponsors