Become a Patron!

Vaping for Non-Smokers

Is it ok to support non-tobacco users in vaping (omg)?

• No, it should be discouraged unless it is to help quit other tobacco products.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Yes, it is ok to support potential vapers as long as they understand the risks and are not ecouraged

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I don't care, do what you want.

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hello All,

I either encourage or at least try to interest all my friends/family/co-workers who smoke/chew in vaping. However I have some friends/family who do not use tobacco products who have become interested as well. My question is, what is your opinion on non-smokers vaping (0mg)?

Part of me views it as a bad habit, if not bad as cigarettes that should be discouraged similar to smoking. The other part of me views it as a fun hobby that, while it is not healthy, is comparable to home brewing. So many things I enjoy in life are not healthy (cheese, red meat, beer), but as an adult I chose to partake with the understanding of the negative effects.

While I do not encourage vaping to non-smokers, I am not sure about discouraging it either for those who become interested in it as a hobby. What is your opinion? Is vaping to be discouraged for non-smokers similar to smoking or, as long as someone understands the potential risks is it ok to assist those interested?

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If they are interested, they are going to do it with or without your help.
If they choose to do this, it is better to be safe about it and gain some knowledge.

I wouldn't encourage any non-smoker to vape but I'd not discourage them either if that is what they choose to do.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
To each their own. But I have never really understood the concept of vaping if you never smoked. To me it would be like going on a methadone treatment if you have never been addicted to ******. I see so many people in vape shops dropping all of this money for gear and 0mg juice that have never smoked in their life. This is where the vaping "trend" comes into play.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lol I just made a post about this topic

Sent from my XT1030

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I really don't care. Unless you want to make mods prescription-only, like Chantix, a grown ass man can make his own decisions.

"And that's all I got to say about that."

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If they are interested, I am more than happy to discuss it with them.

One of the side benefits that I have noticed is that I am losing weight, which is particularly interesting now that I am disabled and have very, very, very little physical activity.

I find that using flavored e-liquid help me with food cravings and I'm just generally less hungry.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I find that using flavored e-liquid help me with food cravings and I'm just generally less hungry.
Same here. I was already working on my weight, but vape definitely helps.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But the VG breaks down into sugar and I vape A LOT like 15-25mls a day now since I drip I feel like I'm gaining weight and sluggish but that can just be all in my head

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it's you roommate/girlfriend/wife i can understand why you would try to get them interested, because it's more fun to vape with someone and share the hobby.
In general i don't see a reason for a non smoker to start vaping.

Joshua McCord

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
The situation is NOT that everyone is quitting smoking and nobody is starting. Just because somebody is a non-smoker today does not mean they aren't at risk for starting smoking.

A non-smoker that is interested in starting vaping is probably at an increased risk for picking up a filthy habit. Let em vape.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But the VG breaks down into sugar and I vape A LOT like 15-25mls a day now since I drip I feel like I'm gaining weight and sluggish but that can just be all in my head
I'm pretty much a shut-in and use my vape as a pacifier so for my metabolism whatever conversion may be happening does not appear to be a negative factor for me weight wise.

There is also the fact that a substance introduced into the body via the lungs is going to metabolize differently than if it were ingested and provessed through the gastric system.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There was a study of PG in vapor form with rats and the rats did get fat.

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That could be your thyroid too. Once I got on the right thyroid meds I lost like 20 lbs

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah its hyperactive just got results today

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I would try to dissuade anyone that is not a smoker from starting to vape.

Failing that, I would try to get them to stick to zero nic liquids and steer them to get good gear, tell them about battery safety to keep them from hurting themselves.

The last time I did something to try and look "Cool" I was 15 and decided that smoking was the way. Took me 30+ freaking years to stop.

Sounded really good when I was 15 though.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Not sure this is true. I have a friend who's a diabetic, and the only thing that affects her sugar levels is nicotine. She's ok at 6mg but the levels rise at 12mg!

I'd be interested to see that study of rats getting fat on PG vapor - can you link please?

Found the abstract:
http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/91/1/52.abstract

As you can see, it's not considered an issue given the amount of saturation of glycol the rats were exposed to.

Last edited:

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The situation is NOT that everyone is quitting smoking and nobody is starting. Just because somebody is a non-smoker today does not mean they aren't at risk for starting smoking.

A non-smoker that is interested in starting vaping is probably at an increased risk for picking up a filthy habit. Let em vape.
exactly how i feel. someone looking into vaping that doesnt smoke is just as likely to look into smoking, we all know there were positives we enjoyed with smoking but never outweighed the risks of it. people that dont care about the risks id rather them start vaping 0mg

VU Sponsors