Become a Patron!

Vapefly Horus RTA

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Horus RTA from Vapefly. The Horus RTA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Flora from Vapefly.

http://www.vapefly.net/vapefly-horus-rta/

Introduction

The Horus is a top airflow single coil RTA from the much underrated Vapefly. I have reviewed a number of RTA's and RDA's from Vapefly and in general they are more known for their MTL products although i was impressed by the Core, a dual coil DL affair. There is always innovation going on with the airflow designs with Vapefly products which is brave from such a new company but it's a gamble that has paid off as all i hear from people who have used their products is how impressed they are and from my own experience i have to concur. The Horus actually yet again as a lot going on with the airflow design but is possibly the least innovative as the general idea we have seen before most noticeably with the Zeus but that general design has had some major overhauling but is it for the better? I give my humble opinion.

In the Box

Contents:

Standard Version

1x Horus RTA
1x Spare 4ml Glass tube
1x 510 Adaptor
1x Screw Driver
1x Cotton
2x Coils
1x Allen Key
O-rings & Screws

TPD Version

1x Horus RTA (with silicon part for TPD)
1x Spare 4ml Glass tube
1x 510 Adaptor
1x Screw Driver
1x Cotton
2x Coils
1x Allen Key
O-rings & Screws

Aesthetics

The Horus RTA came in the usual blue sample packaging from Vapefly and when opened the first thing that i noticed was it's a tall RTA which may not be to everyone's taste, i also immediately liked it aesthetically but of course that's subjective . There are two main features that stand out, the first is the top-cap is extended by having heat sink fins (hence the height of the RTA), followed by the very nice resin 810 drip tip that sits on top, the heat sink fins give you a lot to get hold of making unscrewing the top-cap very easy. The second feature is the cage that the glass fits on to, either side of the cage we have what looks like a rectangular eye design that has been cut diagonally with one half falling to the bottom of the cage (you will need to see the picture as i haven't described it very well). I received the Black version, it's also available in Stainless Steel, Gold and Gun Metal, the Gold version has a Gold cage but the rest of the RTA is Black. The airflow slots are dual split cyclops but no stopper, the bottom of the tank has slight texturing for grip which helps to unscrew from the cage. The base has printed safety stamps and branding, the Gold plated 510 protrudes very nicely and is hybrid safe. As usual from Vapefly i am impressed with the build quality they never seem to let us down.

Horus RTA Specs and Features:

Diameter: 25.0mm
Height: 49.7mm
Capacity: 4ml/2ml(TPD Version within a removable silicon part)
Tank Material: SS with Glass
Drip Material: Resin
Deck/510 pin: 24k Gold Plated
Coil Rebuildable: Single Coil Build
Powerful RTA inspired from the eye of Horus
Unique "b" airflow system for outstanding flavor
Never leakage design with easy top filling and adjustable top airflow
Come with 810 Resin drip tip & 510 drip adaptor
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Stainless Steel, Gold, Gun Metal

Assembling and disassembling

The Horus separates into it's various parts very easily helped by the top notch threading and machining. The 810 resin drip tip pulls straight out the top-cap which screws off revealing 2 large juice ports. The drip tip is a standard 810 fitting so your own 810's will fit, you also receive a 510 adaptor. The base section with deck unscrews from the inner cage which the glass is fitted on to, the glass can be easily removed from the cage. This just leaves the air chamber with juice port ring and airflow inlets (the airflow control ring can also be removed). The tank can be put back together very easily, i really can't emphasise enough how good the threading and tolerances are on the Horus.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

The Airflow

We have top airflow control so a leakfree design which is the main reason i like top airflow RTA's. It's dual cyclops but no stopper, each side rather than one large slot we have a very large slot split in the middle giving two smaller slots either side the only benefit of this i can think of is you know when you have the airflow exactly half open you simply will only have one of the two slots open both sides.

There is no doubt there are similarities with the Zeus but the basic idea as been changed in it's execution. On the Zeus we have 2 towers with small airflow holes like a cheese-grater attached to the deck which then slot into the top of the air chamber creating a cavity between them and the wall of the air chamber for the air to flow down and then comes through the holes in the tower giving your coil full air coverage. On the Horus although we still have dual airflow adjustment slots we have only one cheese-grater that has been moved off the deck to be fixed in place inside the chamber. we have a second ceiling to the air chamber so all the air enters into the cavity between the 2 ceilings and then down the cavity between the outer wall of the chamber and the cheese-grater. At the bottom of the cheese-grater we have 2 bigger air openings, on the side of the deck where the airflow wall will be placed when the RTA is together we have a lower step and on the face of the upper step which is the main deck we have a large opening that leads underneath the deck. When the chamber is fixed onto the deck the airflow wall sits on the lower step and the 2 larger openings underneath the cheese-grater style airflow holes are lined up with the large opening on the side of the deck which leads underneath the deck and then enters the deck via a large air outlet directly underneath your coil. The air travels down the side of the air chamber then through the cheese-grater holes giving top and side airflow before the remaining air travels underneath the deck and up through the airflow outlet on the deck giving bottom airflow. If you are wandering why airflow from only one side? the answer is the posts take up the opposite side of the deck and with the double ceiling the lower ceiling is close to the deck so essentially the posts act like a blocker would when blocking one side of the deck off on a dual build deck to allow for a single build one side of the deck. The large bottom airflow outlet will direct some air between the coil and posts giving coverage to the inner side of the coil.

The Deck and Build

I am for some reason only receiving RTA's and RDA's with easy to build on decks or overall that's now become the standard. The deck has dual open posts side by side on one side of the deck, your coil legs can just be put through the post holes or slid in from the side, there is a lip on the outside of each post hole opening to stop your coils popping out while fixing them in place. Just put your legs in the post holes holding the coil up against the posts, with the other hand tighten your screws and then trim your coil legs. If needed now you can manipulate your coil directly over the air outlet and it's done, very easy. The deck is raised so when wicking your coil only put your cotton ends part way down the juice channels as the air chamber will act as the outer wall of these channels and you will want the liquid flowing freely underneath (treat it like a GTA deck).

Performance

The Horus has as much air as i have known for a single coil top airflow RTA although when fully open the flavour does suffer but when closed down halfway the flavour in my opinion is better than the Zeus and the Zeus isn't just an RTA i reviewed but an RTA i use regularly. Although the flavour is not as good as the Zeus with full airflow at least it has the option of plenty of air for those that prefer it. The Horus also is a very quiet tank even when the airflow is fully open and the airflow is very smooth as expected with the airflow being mainly a series of small holes. The Horus is thirsty so will plough through your juice, the only other thing worth mentioning is i forgot to comment in the Build section that the grub screw heads are quite small which is common but after recently looking at a couple of RTA's with much bigger screw heads i fail to understand why this can't always be the case.

Pros

Good build quality (threading and tolerances spot on)
Personally like it aesthetically
As airflow gets closed down flavour gets very good (half airflow restricted lung hit with very good flavour)
Plenty of air (if that's what you prefer)
Plenty of spares including coils
2 coils included (braided Ni80 0.32ohm)
Spare glass
Top to top, side and bottom airflow
Top-fill
Leakproof design
Hybrid safe

Cons

Small grub screw heads
No airflow control ring stopper
Thirsty
A tall tank (some want like)

I would once again like to thank Flora from Vapefly for supplying the Horus RTA for the purpose of this review.

http://www.vapefly.net/vapefly-horus-rta/

VU Sponsors