Become a Patron!

Unscrewed heads, mini Protank 2.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Can anyone explain this to me, please?

I rebuild these little dudes, and on occasion, I'll get a head that magically unscrews itself. I've searched around the webs, have seen some say that heat has something to do with it, but I'd like to know if that's the case. Most of the time, there's no issue. Occasionally, I'l run across one or 2 that do this. It drives me nuts. Anyone know why and is there a fix for it??

I'm not in the market for new stuff. I like my mini Protanks. They sit atop an MVP 2.0, an iStick 20w and Tesla Spiders or iTaste vv3 when I'm on the go.

Thanks for any help you can offer to me.

Jetson

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could it be, the little bottom pin sometimes has tiny burs or rough edges that make it stick to the battery, and when unscrewing from battery, the coil mostly stays put but the Protank turns and loosens it up? I noticed the same thing a few times, same gear as you, too. Rebuilt Protank heads and MVP were one of my standard vapes for almost a year.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had that issue with my aerotanks too, on OEM coils. Not sure why it happened, but it was one of the many reasons I moved away from those tanks.

If I had to guess though I'd say that it may have to do with expansion and contraction from the constant heating and cooling cycles of the various materials used to build the things, combined with potentially questionable machining tolerances, plus vibration from being carried around, ultimately causing them to back out at random.

Last edited:

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
they come loose because your always unscrewing it to refill the tank. When you unscrew the tank to refill it sometimes you unscrew the coil just a bit also.
I would just like to add to this as why I think this happens. I started out using Aspire BDC clearomizers and had quite a few times had the coils come loose. So I got to the point that when I added juice I would always check and make sure it was tight.
When I got my mini protank 2's I found the same thing would happen the odd time. On both units when the coil was installed in the base and I put the base on the unit I would tighten them down quite a bit to make sure they did not leak. But now on the mini pro 2 I would sometimes unscrew and loosen the tank because the base was too tight. So I stopped over tightening the base and my problems have stopped, on both units.
WHY you might ask. Well this what I think is happening. If you over tighten the base you are really putting a lot of pressure on the seal at the top of the coil. (see pic)
images.jpeg The seal is very tight between the coil and the tank and when you turn the base out to add more juice you can actually loosen the coil a bit. I have found that just tightening until they stop is good enough and has stopped my problems. Give that a try.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am almost willing to bet if you keep track, it is the same heads over and over again.

Manufacturing tolerances running toward the Plus side of things.

Its a bit "Fat" so it tends to stick.

Kinda like the "Where did the other sock go" mystery.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ah,. the missing sock mystery.

It's just very weird. I don't over-tighten to the mod/battery, they come loose as I vape, not when I go to refill. As I've run across them, I've sat them aside to see if I can tell a difference from the ones that don't do this. So far, no, but I didn't use them to build on again.

I appreciate the responses everyone!!

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am at a loss here. We are talking about this unit, right? If so you say that they come loose as you vape. Now I am thinking that you are talking about the coil, #5. If that is correct then how do you know they are coming loose while vapeing?? When this is all assembled I can't even see mine. I would have to remove the base #4 that holds the coil #5 to see and check if was loose.
Or are you getting a leak and that is how you know they are coming loose? If that is the case then there has to be a bad seal at the bottom of the coil where it screws into the base.
-Arival-Rebuildable-Kanger-Mini-Protank-II-.jpg

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You know that the coil has backed out because you hit the button and get zero vapor. Check your regulated mod display, and it tells you you've got an open circuit, as if your coil has blown.

Open the tank up, tighten the coil down, and it works again.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You know that the coil has backed out because you hit the button and get zero vapor. Check your regulated mod display, and it tells you you've got an open circuit, as if your coil has blown.

Open the tank up, tighten the coil down, and it works again.
Yep. This. Happens to boyfriend from time to time, too.

VU Sponsors