Become a Patron!

Types of Wicking w/ Cotton

SaintSkinny51792

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
hey all! Ive been building for a couple years. But ive always done the standard wicking we all know and some love. I was wondering:
A.) What other types of wicks can be made using Cotton Bacon
B.) Which of these do YOU prefer
C.) Pro's and Con's of each wicking style
I have done some searching with little luck, so any info would be great!

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Scottish Roll. The prep work involves pulling the cotton apart to almost tearing. This break the capillaries of the cotton, allowing more juice to be soaked up more efficiently.

Here's an analogy, albeit strange.

Take a brand new magazine. Roll it up. Since all the pages are flat, the magazine rolls up very tightly, with no spaces between pages. Now take the same magazine, and crumple it up, all the pages. Now roll it up again. Since the pages are creased and wrinkled, the magazine will roll up loosely with spaces between the pages. These spaces will Inherently hold more than the tightly rolled magazine.

Same thing goes for cotton. More spaces = More juice. The fluffier, the spongier, the better.

I haven't used Cotton Bacon since my very first coil build, still have a pack lying around somewhere. I use Muji OJC, so it comes in sheets, unlike CB, which comes in "strips". I'm unsure if the same method can be applied efficiently with Cotton Bacon because it is manufactured differently, but it's worth a shot.

SaintSkinny51792

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks Ded! that magazine analogy makes perfect sense! I can get some jap. cot. at my local BnM, that comes in sheets too... the Jap is what i usually get but the other day I had a wick emergency so i ended up going to the vape shop down the street (which i usually avoid due to pricing and employeess) and paying $4 for the package of 'bacon bits' as they call it.... it worked but the pricepoint was not great compared to $2 for 5 sheets of JapCot at my usual place

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's crazy expensive! You can get 180 sheets of Muji online, from Muji, for like $10, will last months. I get it from a local B&M for $15, so it's a great bargain!

I'm glad you understood my analogy, it was kinda on the spot so I hoped it made sense. Good luck with your wicking adventure!

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even that's way too high to play around with the Scottish.
(eta: oops... cross posted. I meant the bacon pricing.)
I saw a tutorial vid which used an entire KGD pad for a simple 2.5mm dual build. :eek:

Not even entirely sure how. But it actually uses that much. o_O

The slow boat finally delivered a bag (140?/$8) of Muji, so I can finally experiment.
And Nordstrom"s will ship you a bag (70?) of KGD for about $12.

I'm hoping this thread gets into S-Wicks, RBA inner blankets... that sort of thing.
My RBA/RTA wicking skilz suck, I need options to try. :p

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I love Cotton Bacon V2....Its my Go-To Wicking Material now...Ive used all types of Jap cotton, Store cotton (Pads and Balls) and I love CB V2 as there is NO BREAK IN PERIOD! It is also heat resistant and if you do singe it its not like other cotton where you taste it every draw. Its a bit pricey but it can last if you save your throw away strips and pull them apart and roll them up, the bad itself without reusing it should last a normal builder atleast a month or 2 for $8.

Krashking405

Member For 4 Years
Cotton Bacon V2 is what I use also, only complaint I have is I still have not figured out how to get the perfect amount pulled out the first go. I end up having to divide it down a few times to get the right amount, or having to almost double what I've grabbed. My fault not the cotton.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Cotton Bacon V2 is what I use also, only complaint I have is I still have not figured out how to get the perfect amount pulled out the first go. I end up having to divide it down a few times to get the right amount, or having to almost double what I've grabbed. My fault not the cotton.
When you pinch the layers, try to measure 1.5 times the size of the ID of the Coil. Roll it up and you will have a perfect size wick to thread through your coils!

Krashking405

Member For 4 Years
I kind of guess at it, do a slight roll on it to get stray fibers to lay down, and go from there. Usually over wick just a bit, as it is tough to drip and drive.

VU Sponsors