Become a Patron!

Twisted dual coil problem.

ej.exe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I figured out my issue after about an hour of tinkering and stripping two screws on my MX v2 clone.. I just wanted to share in case someone else runs into the same problem. I kind of feel like an idiot looking back but hindsight is 20/20 right?

Anyways, I wanted to build some dual 24g twisted coils in my Mutation X v2 clone (from FT). I had a leftover piece of twisted wire from my last twisted build, just enough to get the 6 wraps I wanted. I had another little piece, not quite long enough. So I cut some wire, twisted it up, wrapped it six times, and set them both up. Centered em, pinched em tight, you know the drill.

I noticed one was getting bright and red hot almost immediately, while the other was taking 3-5 seconds longer to ramp up. So I pulled a little more of the lead through on my problem coil, retightened, tried again, and still, it took forever.

I spent a good 45 minutes at least repositioning, pinching, etc with no luck. Everything I could think of. I even googled it, even though I have built lots of coils (macro/micro/twisted/parallel/etc). I figured maybe something on a forum might help me out.

Well, just as I was about to give up, I looked very closely at my two coils. I thought about what I had done, and had an epiphany!

The two pieces of wire were twisted separately, and one was twisted slightly more tightly than the other. Therefore one coil had more wire in it, despite the even wrapping and both coils looking almost identical.

So I took the slow heating coil out, and saved it for the next time I decide to build a twisted build with a single coil. Problem solved, and now I have a backup coil for later!

The moral of the story? When wrapping dual twisted coils, make one long piece of twisted wire instead of two short ones. In my case it made all the difference.

-EJ

VU Sponsors